Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  

[Tencent] Produce Camp 2019 (P101 S2) Thread

Finally figured out why Ren Shihao looks so familiar. I've seen some of his douyin vids on my dy feed. 

They do get a decent amount of screen time during eps 2 and 3. You will know who they are after watching eps 2. 

Wu Jifeng is from the same company as Luoluo and they look quite similar too and Niu Chao has a character that stands out you can say. 

Actually, Wu Jifeng and He Luoluo aren't from the same company. Wu Jifeng is from ETM (same company as Liu Renyu) and He Luoluo is from Original Plan. Their first evaluation group was made up of trainees all from different companies. 

• Like 1

Actually, Wu Jifeng and He Luoluo aren't from the same company. Wu Jifeng is from ETM (same company as Liu Renyu) and He Luoluo is from Original Plan. Their first evaluation group was made up of trainees all from different companies. 

Yeah, I noticed that when rewatching some parts of eps 3 today. I missheard the part when Jifeng was talking about how the staff from the show was mistaken him for Luoluo yesterday. I thought he was talkng about the staff from "their" company instead so I just assumed.

Then today I saw that they have different company names in the tag from the short interview clips. I didn't edit my post though..thought that most ppl wouldn't read it beside the person I quoted lol. 

In eps three I got to know the contestants a little bit more and I'm surprised that Zhennan seems quite mature for his age. The way he thinks is mature but his lack of experience made him handling the situation with his team a bit wrong (you can say a bit immaturely especially when he just walked away). I find him really intersting and likes him even more now so he is my set favorite. 

After eps three:

Zhennan

I'm not following Produce Camp because I don't have much time to watch but since Zhennan is in the show I decided to come see the comments, especially after seeing he was first (proud of him btw, I hope he'll keep doing that well)

I'm really happy to read this comment

Zhennan is indeed really mature for his age

I discovered him in another show and it showed a lot too (the show is Chao Yin Zhan Ji if you're interested)

Did you check out his music?

Btw he has a badge on OH is you're interested lmao

So Wu Jifeng was in the "baby" group too? I didn't notice him that much because I was mostly focused on Luoluo but they were all so cute.

So Wu Jifeng was in the "baby" group too? I didn't notice him that much because I was mostly focused on Luoluo but they were all so cute.

Yup he was. Personally, I love all of the trainees from the "baby" group. They all definitely had some amazing visuals. 

Personally, I felt like Jifeng had the best vocals out of everybody in the group. 

Yup he was. Personally, I love all of the trainees from the "baby" group. They all definitely had some amazing visuals. 

Personally, I felt like Jifeng had the best vocals out of everybody in the group. 

IKR. Their visuals are awesome, they're all such the pretty boy type. Jifeng is the first that starts singing, no? He has a very nice tone. Their dancing is really on point too. This was my favorite performance in ep 2 along with the Easyplus group.

I'm not following Produce Camp because I don't have much time to watch but since Zhennan is in the show I decided to come see the comments, especially after seeing he was first (proud of him btw, I hope he'll keep doing that well)

I'm really happy to read this comment

Zhennan is indeed really mature for his age

I discovered him in another show and it showed a lot too (the show is Chao Yin Zhan Ji if you're interested)

Did you check out his music?

Btw he has a badge on OH is you're interested lmao

I did check out his music because I really like the song he performed during the evaluation, I Will Show You. Little Star is good as well but my favorite is still I Will Show You so far. I'm checking out the album you recommended atm, the genre seems to be different from the ones I've heard but the songs are good.

I know which show you are talking about. I've seen some clips from it because of some other contestants who participated on it. I might check it out when I've time. I also checked out his profile and saw that he was on the same season of that baby show as Jingyu and Jackson (I'm a Jingyu fan) so that's cool. 

I'll consider getting his badge when I have enough post count. Have other badges in mind atm that doesn't even exist yet heh.

• Like 1

Still in ep 2 but how the f*ck did that Gao Hanyu guy lost to ZZN in that battle? I adore Zhennan but c’mon now. That guy did miles better.

• Like 1

About the age thing...

Just wanna mention some things that many people probably have forgotten.

China =/= Korea

Being an idol in China =/= being an idol in Korea

How many young idols/young singers/young actors in China flourish after 2-3 years in the industry, compared to how many fizzle? Versus how many older idols/older singers/older actors in China actually start to blossom when they're over 26/27, and even after they hit 30s? This also applies to girls too, surprisingly. People still call those in the late 20s/early 30s 'fresh meat' after they start to get big even though they're not teenagers or in their early 20s. Although this applies more to actors/actresses, but the trend seems to be the same with idols too. Just to give a couple of examples, even though Wang Kai and Zhu Yilong are both mainly actors, but they're also considered idols when they first hit it big. Wang Kai was 33 when he hit it big with Nirvana in Fire and The Disguiser. Zhu Yilong was 30 when he hit it big with Guardian.

With the way Produce Camp is being produced, it's pretty obvious (to me) that they're trying to run from the usual Kpop formula. A 33-year-old Zhang Yuan trended after his performance in episode 2. If anyone thinks that he doesn't have a shot in the top 11 just because he's 33, gotta rethink where this survival show is being shown. Add the solo stanning culture to that, pretty sure 'the public' won't care how the debut group will look like in the end as long as their favourites got in. Even if he's already 33.

Edited by whitedove
  • Like 1

Time for Produce Camp's weekly Weibo Star Power Chart:

1. Zhou Zhennan

2. Xia Zhiguang

3. He Luoluo

4. Zhang Yuan

5. Liu Ye

6. Zhao Lei

7. Lu Siheng

8. Dai Jingyao

9. Zhang Yanqi

10. Peng Chuyue

11. Zhao Zefan

The rest: https://topstar.h5.weibo.cn/rank?rType=17

Di Xiaowen and Yan Xujia fell, Ren Hao fell to as far as 26th, Gao Jialang at 28th, Ma Xueyang at 30th, Wu Jifeng at 35th, Niu Chao at 38th, Zhang Dayuan at 47th, just to mention a few.

Edited by whitedove

About the age thing...

China =/= Korea

How many young idols/young singers/young actors in China flourish after 2-3 years in the industry, compared to how many fizzle? Versus how many older idols/older singers/older actors in China actually start to blossom when they're over 26/27, and even after they hit 30s? This also applies to girls too, surprisingly. People still call those in the late 20s/early 30s 'fresh meat' after they start to get big even though they're not teenagers or in their early 20s. Although this applies more to actors/actresses, but the trend seems to be the same with idols too. Just to give a couple of examples, even though Wang Kai and Zhu Yilong are both mainly actors, but they're also considered idols when they first hit it big. Wang Kai was 33 when he hit it big with Nirvana in Fire and The Disguiser. Zhu Yilong was 30 when he hit it big with Guardian.

With the way Produce Camp is being produced, it's pretty obvious (to me) that they're trying to run from the usual Kpop formula. A 33-year-old Zhang Yuan trended after his performance in episode 2. If anyone thinks that he doesn't have a shot in the top 11 just because he's 33, gotta rethink where this survival show is being shown. Add the solo stanning culture to that, pretty sure 'the public' won't care how the debut group will look like in the end as long as their favourites got in. Even if he's already 33.

China definitely seems less strict about the age than Korea but still, if you look at the list of trendy idols/singers/actors, like this list of "top influencers": https://onehallyu.com/topic/787717-who-are-china%E2%80%99s-top-influencers-for-march-cai-xukun-yang-mi-yang-chaoyue/

the big majority are in their 20s. Only 5/20 are in their 30s and only ONE is in his 40s. And the people in their 30s are in their very early 30s, like 30-32 and they're mostly actors (which usually peak later than idols). Even in Korea you can see many trendy actors in their 30s or even early 40s. But the thing is that for idol groups even if China isn't as strict as Korea, you rarely see groups with members in their 30s either. The groups coming from IP/QCYN/PD101C? All people in their teens or 20s and even the contestants in their mid-late 20s were mocked and called "old" by other contestants. So while I don't doubt that Zhang Yuan can have a chance in the top 11 because he's exceptionally talented, I don't think Tencent has him in mind for his ideal idol group that's mostly gonna be aimed to young people. I could be wrong anyway but that's my 2 cents.

China definitely seems less strict about the age than Korea but still, if you look at the list of trendy idols/singers/actors, like this list of "top influencers": https://onehallyu.com/topic/787717-who-are-china%E2%80%99s-top-influencers-for-march-cai-xukun-yang-mi-yang-chaoyue/

the big majority are in their 20s. Only 5/20 are in their 30s and only ONE is in his 40s. And the people in their 30s are in their very early 30s, like 30-32 and they're mostly actors (which usually peak later than idols). Even in Korea you can see many trendy actors in their 30s or even early 40s. But the thing is that for idol groups even if China isn't as strict as Korea, you rarely see groups with members in their 30s either. The groups coming from IP/QCYN/PD101C? All people in their teens or 20s and even the contestants in their mid-late 20s were mocked and called "old" by other contestants. So while I don't doubt that Zhang Yuan can have a chance in the top 11 because he's exceptionally talented, I don't think Tencent has him in mind for his ideal idol group that's mostly gonna be aimed to young people. I could be wrong anyway but that's my 2 cents.

You mentioned all those trendy stars, but in China's mind, these people are also idols, not simply an actor or actress. The definition of an idol is obviously different in China versus in Korea. In China, actors always release singles too because they don't only act, they also sing, CF stars, fashion magazine stars, etc.

China won't be like who the public want to shape as a group, but who the fans want in the top 11 individually. There are no alliances between fanbases, only CP fans working together to get their favourite couples in the same group. The only thing that will differ is Tencent, whether or not they will allow certain contestants to be in the top 11. Obviously in Tencent's mind, Li Zixuan isn't who they want in the top 11. Neither is Wang Ju. If Zhang Yuan does end up to be popular right until the end but doesn't make the top 11, it will be Tencent doing their dirty work.

Edited by whitedove
  • Like 1

You mentioned all those trendy stars, but in China's mind, these people are also idols, not simply an actor or actress. The definition of an idol is obviously different in China versus in Korea. In China, actors always release singles too because they don't only act, they also sing, CF stars, fashion magazine stars, etc.

China won't be like who the public want to shape as a group, but who the fans want in the top 11 individually. There are no alliances between fanbases, only CP fans working together to get their favourite couples in the same group. The only thing that will differ is Tencent, whether or not they will allow certain contestants to be in the top 11. Obviously in Tencent's mind, Li Zixuan isn't who they want in the top 11. Neither is Wang Ju. If Zhang Yuan does end up to be popular right until the end but doesn't make the top 11, it will be Tencent doing their dirty work.

Yeah but my point was that regardless if people in that list are considered idols or just actors/actresses, the % of people past 30 is still minority compared with people in their 20s so even if China is not as “ageist†as Korea, trendy artists in general tend to be young (under 30-35) as its obvious from that list.

Also that’s indeed what I meant with “what Tencent has in mindâ€. Casual viewers might want Zhang Yuan in the group but would Tencent allow a 33 (almost 34) y/o in an idol group that’s supposed to target young people? I’d be surprised if they did tbh.

Still in ep 2 but how the f*ck did that Gao Hanyu guy lost to ZZN in that battle? I adore Zhennan but c’mon now. That guy did miles better.

I don't really think you can compare this tow they had totally differend styles and I think Zhennan him self was shocked that he win 

But for me hes win was right Gao Hanyu is much longer in the business then Nannan and for me they where on the same Level so I think ist right that Zhennan did win

But everyone has his/here one opinion

Does anybody now when the next Episode is gona be subed?? Or is Ep 2 allredy subed??

I dont really understand muchunsure.png

Also sry for my englisch is not my language

laugh.png 

I don't really think you can compare this tow they had totally differend styles and I think Zhennan him self was shocked that he win 

But for me hes win was right Gao Hanyu is much longer in the business then Nannan and for me they where on the same Level so I think ist right that Zhennan did win

But everyone has his/here one opinion

Does anybody now when the next Episode is gona be subed?? Or is Ep 2 allredy subed??

I dont really understand much:unsure:

Also sry for my englisch is not my language

:lol:

I love Nannan and I know he’s an amazing rapper but still for this particular battle, I think Gao Hanyu had way better flow and much more stage presence/charisma too. I honestly don’t think he deserved to go tbh. But yeah, to each their own.

• Like 1

About the age thing...

China =/= Korea

Yes, being an idol in China is different but so far the idol groups created from these kind of shows and the trending idol groups are from a younger generation. I'm not saying that Zhang Yuan and Xueyang can't be idols because they're older, I just don't think they'll fit in with this group judging from how old the other contestants are plus the current top favorites. 

As entertainers they can still be considered "young" in this industry no matter if they are singers or actors. 

It's not that I don't think they'll have a shot because they still have fans backing them. Everybody knows that being famous from before the show gives you a huge advantage. Just see how all the X-nine members are in the top and Yuehua trainees are guaranteed spots in the other shows. I personally prefer them not being in the final line up that's all. 

On the other hand I have my doubts about that it's the general public who are pushing him to the top, I think it's his fans, for now at least. The show has just started, let's see how the viewers react to him as the show goes on. 

Yes, being an idol in China is different but so far the idol groups created from these kind of shows and the trending idol groups are from a younger generation. I'm not saying that Zhang Yuan and Xueyang can't be idols because they're older, I just don't think they'll fit in with this group judging from how old the other contestants are plus the current top favorites. 

As entertainers they can still be considered "young" in this industry no matter if they are singers or actors. 

It's not that I don't think they'll have a shot because they still have fans backing them. Everybody knows that being famous from before the show gives you a huge advantage. Just see how all the X-nine members are in the top and Yuehua trainees are guaranteed spots in the other shows. I personally prefer them not being in the final line up that's all. 

On the other hand I have my doubts about that it's the general public who are pushing him to the top, I think it's his fans, for now at least. The show has just started, let's see how the viewers react to him as the show goes on. 

If Yamy and Sunnee can debut in Rocket Girls, I don't see why can't Zhang Yuan and Xueyang.

They look even more out of place than the guys.

• Dislike 3

If Yamy and Sunnee can debut in Rocket Girls, I don't see why can't Zhang Yuan and Xueyang.

It's not about the looks for me, it's about the overall feeling. It's an individual battle but in the end the winning individuals need to be able to fit together as a group. I can't see them pull off all the concepts that the others can because they no longer have the youthful vibe. 

Even if they do manage to debut in the end it might be a struggle for them to adapt.

If the majority of the viewers wants them to debut then it's fine by me. Like I've said before, I'll only follow a group that I like if not then I'll move on. I have nothing against either ZY or XY, I think ZY is a really good vocalist so nothing stops me from becoming a fan if he becomes a soloist or something. I think it's great that they can get exposure through this show...who knows maybe that's what they hope to gain from this.

Yamy and Sunnee are still in their 20s tho. Sunnee in her early 20s even so they still give off a somewhat fresh feel. Ma Xueyang and Zhang Yuan have a way more mature/experienced vibe even if looks wise they blend well with the younger guys.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

From some twitter's accounts I've read on twitter 30 or more trainees were eliminated in this round

From this we already can almost tell or predict which trainees will be eliminated at the next elimination's round

I'm sad for the good singers who are very down in the ranking

I'm glad to know Gao Jialang is not going to be eliminated at the next elimination's round. I'm in love with his voice and singing

He certainly sounds very much outstanding when singing within a group without other power vocals

His audition

He changed his stage name from Gao Jianing (高家å®) to Gao Jialang (高嘉朗). He used to be a member of KPOP's group Cross Gene and he was the best singer in there at the time he was a member. After years of hiatus out of music, He is being going to every talent show in China since 2015 so there are lots of videos on youtube of him singing.

Most of the eliminated people were predictable tbh. Most of those trainees didn’t really have much screentime. The top 11 is predictable too. Basically WJJW boys featuring a couple more.

Just realized that the 3 banana trainees were eliminated. This is really not banana year. Even the 3 guys that went to QCYN were eliminated in the first/second eliminations and only one made it to the top 20 and it was rumored to be rigged. In PC case, I guess it's understandable because they barely got any screentime tbh.

I'm also surprised almost all the AIF trainees were eliminated too when they got decent screentime :/