Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  

[Tencent] Produce Camp 2019 (P101 S2) Thread

So many trainees with pre-show popularity, even more than IP season 2. Those real newbies are gonna find it tough if they don't get proper screentime.

The nugus better ensure they present a magnetic narrative, that's the best way to be a stan attractor imo

Agree.

If Qing Chun You Ni is the one getting official recognition by Mnet, does that mean it's Produce Camp that didn't get the approval this time?

Mnet gave a like and a supportive tweet to Qing Chun You Ni, 

but I'm not sure if they took away the full official/exclusive Produce license from Tencent and gave it to iQiyi. 

If they had, then it would be Tencent and not iQiyi who would be blurring out the labels that have "Produce" on it in their S2 show. 

When a show changes its name though, usually they don't get the license for the new seasons. Same thing happened to The Voice of China which becomes Sing China, and many more other shows. And after all, Produce Camp did change its name from the original Produce 101, and I believe they're gonna be using the Chinese characters for this show too instead of 'Produce Camp'.

Edited by whitedove

The premiere starts tonight! @ProdCampSubs will be subbing the show:

A subcategory for Produce Camp has also been created for Weibo Star Power Chart, and here's today's top 11:

1. Xia Zhiguang (X-NINE)

2. Zhou Zhennan

3. He Luoluo

4. Liu Ye (SWIN)

5. Dai Jingyao

6. Zhao Lei

7. Zhou Zhaoyuan

8. Peng Chuyue (X-NINE)

9. Yi Yan

10. Xiong Yiwen (D7)

11. Lin Zijie

The rest:

https://topstar.h5.weibo.cn/rank?rType=17

Those with existing fanbases will have advantages from the beginning.

Mnet openly liked IP2 posts on social media, maybe this time around Tencent is the one without a license

That's what was speculated. Also speculated that Mnet didn't invite RG to any of their MAMA was because of this, but who knows.

Still, it's quite refreshing for Tencent to do different things with the theme song. It feels Cpop, not like copying much of Kpop.

Wait...are there 2 subbing teams for this show?

Produce Camp Subs and CZCamp Subs?

Seems like it. But Produce Camp Subs has tons of videos out already.

Edited by whitedove

I think I'm becoming obsessed with the two moles under Xia Zhiguang's eyes, need to look up more X-Nine stuff now. I like this song

The only one I really know is Xiao Zhan...is Xia Zhiguang also in Oh My Emperor too? I've been meaning to watch that. Were the rest of them also busy acting prior to joining Produce Camp? 

How Wajijiwa's management? I know people have been bashing them for sending the boys and Zhennan to Produce Camp, do they also prioritize film/television over music?

The most popular X-NINE members are Xiao Zhan and Wu Jiacheng. Xiao Zhan is more active as an actor, while Wu Jiacheng is the singer of the group. He has released several singles, constantly in the top 10 of major charts, collaborated with Rocket Girls' Yamy etc. 

Iirc, Peng Chuyue and Xia Zhiguang are 2 of the most popular too though not as popular as Xiao Zhan and Wu Jiacheng, but somehow they're made to join this show.

I think X-NINE are one of the examples of Cpop boy groups that didn't try to make each member popular and relying more on group shows, group dramas, group songs etc, that's why the group didn't really take off since people only know at least a little bit about Xiao Zhan and Wu Jiacheng but have zero knowledge on the other members.

No subs yet for the first ep?

Not yet. It has only been like 4 days since the first episode and it's like more than 2 hours long.

The Produce Camp trainees have started trending on weibo since episode 2 (after episode 1 it was all about the mentors), and trending high too.

Top Combine's Zhang Yuan (one of the 4 hidden trainees that challenged for A and made it):

---

Oh btw, Liu Ye now has more weibo followers than UNINE members except for Li Wenhan. The competition for boy groups by the time Produce Camp is over is gonna be intense!

This must be a neat freak's nightmare

D4GeB3tUUAAeBuu.jpg

The introverts will feel uncomfortable too!

Weekly Weibo Star Power Chart (Produce Camp subcategory):

1. Zhou Zhennan

2. Xia Zhiguang (X-NINE)

3. He Luoluo (Yi'an Music Club)

4. Liu Ye (SWIN-S)

5. Zhao Lei (X-NINE)

6. Dai Jingyao

7. Peng Chuyue (X-NINE)

8. Zhai Xiaowen

9. Lu Siheng

10. Yan Xujia (X-NINE)

11. Zhang Yanqi

The rest: https://topstar.h5.weibo.cn/rank?rType=17

Top Combine's Zhang Yuan has joined the top 3 starting yesterday.

Their current number of weibo followers:

1. Zhou Zhennan - 4.72 million

2. Xia Zhiguang - 2.29 million

3. He Luoluo - 1.13 million

4. Liu Ye - 3.92 million

5. Zhao Lei - 2.09 million

6. Dai Jingyao - 4.3 million

7. Peng Chuyue - 2.32 million

8. Zhai Xiaowen - 149k

9. Lu Siheng - 898k

10. Yan Xujia - 1.34 million

11. Zhang Yanqi - 129k

My eyes went bonkers seeing how many weibo followers they have (especially Zhennan, Dai Jingyao and Liu Ye), and then there's Xiaowen (who auditioned with Zhennan and X-NINE members) and Yanqi (the quick-witted, self-degrading dark horse) laugh.png

And I think Ren Hao and Zhang Yuan will be one of the early favourites in the early rankings.

• Like 1

Wow @ Zhennan with nearly 5M of followers. I wonder how high the votes will be during the eliminations episodes

And since it's Tencent they'd probably keep it at 11 per day or max 121 per account per day, just like last year just to mess with iqiyi lol.

The votes in pd101 China S1 were like astronomical, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same stuff this year.

Just as long as that's all they do and not like, manipulate the votes big time like they did last year. Or else idol groups from survival shows are gonna face the same 'ban' again.

Really? I haven’t watched the performances yet, but I saw a few clips in twitter and they looked pretty good and energetic to me, not particularly worse that the girls performances. In fact I barely remember the girls first performances except Meiqi’s team but then again I watched it a long time ago and never re-watched again so...

Well at least you remember Meiqi's team performance. I don't even remember what her team looked like performing lol. I do remember the vocalists team though (Kimberley, Ziting, Lucia).

• Like 1

About the age thing...

Just wanna mention some things that many people probably have forgotten.

China =/= Korea

Being an idol in China =/= being an idol in Korea

How many young idols/young singers/young actors in China flourish after 2-3 years in the industry, compared to how many fizzle? Versus how many older idols/older singers/older actors in China actually start to blossom when they're over 26/27, and even after they hit 30s? This also applies to girls too, surprisingly. People still call those in the late 20s/early 30s 'fresh meat' after they start to get big even though they're not teenagers or in their early 20s. Although this applies more to actors/actresses, but the trend seems to be the same with idols too. Just to give a couple of examples, even though Wang Kai and Zhu Yilong are both mainly actors, but they're also considered idols when they first hit it big. Wang Kai was 33 when he hit it big with Nirvana in Fire and The Disguiser. Zhu Yilong was 30 when he hit it big with Guardian.

With the way Produce Camp is being produced, it's pretty obvious (to me) that they're trying to run from the usual Kpop formula. A 33-year-old Zhang Yuan trended after his performance in episode 2. If anyone thinks that he doesn't have a shot in the top 11 just because he's 33, gotta rethink where this survival show is being shown. Add the solo stanning culture to that, pretty sure 'the public' won't care how the debut group will look like in the end as long as their favourites got in. Even if he's already 33.

Edited by whitedove
  • Like 1

Time for Produce Camp's weekly Weibo Star Power Chart:

1. Zhou Zhennan

2. Xia Zhiguang

3. He Luoluo

4. Zhang Yuan

5. Liu Ye

6. Zhao Lei

7. Lu Siheng

8. Dai Jingyao

9. Zhang Yanqi

10. Peng Chuyue

11. Zhao Zefan

The rest: https://topstar.h5.weibo.cn/rank?rType=17

Di Xiaowen and Yan Xujia fell, Ren Hao fell to as far as 26th, Gao Jialang at 28th, Ma Xueyang at 30th, Wu Jifeng at 35th, Niu Chao at 38th, Zhang Dayuan at 47th, just to mention a few.

Edited by whitedove

China definitely seems less strict about the age than Korea but still, if you look at the list of trendy idols/singers/actors, like this list of "top influencers": https://onehallyu.com/topic/787717-who-are-china%E2%80%99s-top-influencers-for-march-cai-xukun-yang-mi-yang-chaoyue/

the big majority are in their 20s. Only 5/20 are in their 30s and only ONE is in his 40s. And the people in their 30s are in their very early 30s, like 30-32 and they're mostly actors (which usually peak later than idols). Even in Korea you can see many trendy actors in their 30s or even early 40s. But the thing is that for idol groups even if China isn't as strict as Korea, you rarely see groups with members in their 30s either. The groups coming from IP/QCYN/PD101C? All people in their teens or 20s and even the contestants in their mid-late 20s were mocked and called "old" by other contestants. So while I don't doubt that Zhang Yuan can have a chance in the top 11 because he's exceptionally talented, I don't think Tencent has him in mind for his ideal idol group that's mostly gonna be aimed to young people. I could be wrong anyway but that's my 2 cents.

You mentioned all those trendy stars, but in China's mind, these people are also idols, not simply an actor or actress. The definition of an idol is obviously different in China versus in Korea. In China, actors always release singles too because they don't only act, they also sing, CF stars, fashion magazine stars, etc.

China won't be like who the public want to shape as a group, but who the fans want in the top 11 individually. There are no alliances between fanbases, only CP fans working together to get their favourite couples in the same group. The only thing that will differ is Tencent, whether or not they will allow certain contestants to be in the top 11. Obviously in Tencent's mind, Li Zixuan isn't who they want in the top 11. Neither is Wang Ju. If Zhang Yuan does end up to be popular right until the end but doesn't make the top 11, it will be Tencent doing their dirty work.

Edited by whitedove
  • Like 1

Anyone is even following this show anymore? I watched until first eliminations (ep 4) in raw but the subbers stopped in ep 2. I have no clue what's even happening in the show anymore lol.

The subbers are nearly the same people who are also doing QCYN and AFO, so basically this show is taking a turn lol. Since QCYN has finished being subbed now they might be more free to do this.

Yeah, I heard they were very busy subbing the 3 shows at the same time lol.

How are the ranks so far? Last time I checked it out almost all WJJW was still top 11 lol.

I haven't watched the latest episode, but last week, Yao Chen was 10th and Peng Chuyue was out of top 11!

The latest top 11 after the second elimination round:

1. Zhou Zhennan

2. He Luoluo

3. Zhang Yanqi

4. Yan Xujia

5. Xia Zhiguang

6. Wang Chen Yi

7. Di Xiaowen

8. Zhao Rang

9. Zhao Lei

10. Lu Siheng

11. Liu Ye

Spoiler (top 33 + recommended students)

D63EqSLU0AAuNQu.jpg

Omg, I can't believe 5/6 of Wajijiwa are still top 11. At this rate it's gonna be half of X-Nine re-debuting lmao.

Actually only 3/9 of X-NINE are now in the top 11. Although there are other WJJW boys they're not part of X-NINE.

Ah true. I forgot that some of them aren't really from X-Nine (like Zhennan or Xiaowen). But still, 5/6 of WJJW is a lot. It's the biggest % of trainees from the same company I've ever seen in the top 11 of a produce show lol.

I think either Di Xiaowen or Zhao Lei or both might not make into the top 11. Di Xiaowen has smaller fanbase and the others are just a bit complacent. If we see the votes gap (except for Zhennan, naturally), it's not that big.

Sign in to follow this