Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

President Trump rejected compromise to reopen government, Sen. Collins says

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 sickwithsin

sickwithsin

☼ ☾ ☆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:23 PM (Edited by sickwithsin, 11 January 2019 - 08:49 PM.)

AUGUSTA, Maine —

As the partial federal government shutdown reaches three weeks, Maine U.S. Sen. Susan Collins said President Donald Trump rejected a compromise earlier this week to reopen the government.

Collins told WMTW News 8 political reporter Paul Merrill that she and four other Republican senators put together a compromise plan Wednesday night.

The plan included some funding for border security as well as immigration reforms, Collins said.

She said the group pitched the compromise to Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday.

Pence presented the plan to the president, who rejected it, Collins said.

"I'm very disappointed because I really felt that this was a pathway to reopening government and strengthening our border," Collins said.

Collins said Pence explained why Trump rejected the deal.

"He said that the president felt that he would lose leverage if government were reopened," Collins said.

Collins was adamant that the shutdown needs to end, but does not think enough of her Senate Republican colleagues are willing to go against the president on border security to pass a stand-alone bill to fund the government.

She said the White House and Democratic leaders in Congress have to compromise.

Collins said she would support any of the funding bills that have passed in the House. She said she would vote to override a presidential veto if doing so meant ending the shutdown.

She said it would be up to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to bring the bills to the Senate floor for a vote.

Even if the Senate approved one of the House funding bills, it would face a presidential veto.

Collins does not believe there would be enough votes to override a veto.

"I don't see that now. Maybe down the line it would be there," Collins said.

Even if a stand-alone spending bill to reopen the government passes, Collins said lawmakers need to address the issue of border security sooner rather than later.

https://www.wmtw.com...s-says/25861387

Collins said Pence explained why Trump rejected the deal.

"He said that the president felt that he would lose leverage if government were reopened," Collins said.

We're officially in a hostage situation, everyone! And we're the hostages!

The Dems just need to keep hammering the facts.

1. Donald is proud to have the government shut down. It stops the emoluments case against him and implementation of the Magnitsky Act has been delayed.
  2. He has not offered any concessions. His only argument is literally "Give me what I want."

#2 Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:27 PM (Edited by Yggdrasil, 11 January 2019 - 09:27 PM.)

He's backed himself into a corner now and views any compromise as weakness and "losing." Pathetic and humiliating.

#3 T R O L L A R C H

T R O L L A R C H

Idol

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

He's backed himself into a corner now and views any compromise as weakness and "losing." Pathetic and humiliating.

You wanna know what else is pathetic and humiliating? You

Because you're not playing Black Cops IV like all the other 12 year-olds.

Smart choice educated OHer.

#4 PeachyKeys!

PeachyKeys!

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:15 AM

Bruh...

Up, Up and Away!