Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Colombian airline wants to make passengers stand..your opinions

NEWS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 MeiTzu

MeiTzu

💮𝓦𝓱𝓲𝓽𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓭💮

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,910 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

509b4285478fab5cd81bb0cd8f78d0a5Budget airline VivaColombia is considering plans to remove all seats from its planes and make passengers stand.

They hope the move will drive down fares by allowing them to squeeze more passengers into each flight, opening up air travel to working class Colombians and budget holidaymakers.

The no-frills carrier announced this week that it is adding 50 new Airbus 320s to its fleet to capitalise on the country's growing tourist market. The new planes will have more seats and lower running costs with the first one going into service at the start of 2018.

VivaColombia’s founder and CEO William Shaw told the Miami Herald the airline was looking into vertical travel options. He said: “There are people out there right now researching whether you can fly standing up – we’re very interested in anything that makes travel less expensive.”

He added: “Who cares if you don’t have an inflight entertainment system for a one-hour flight? Who cares that there aren’t marble floors… or that you don’t get free peanuts?”

The concept is not new and airlines have been toying with the idea of standing sections on flights for years. In 2003 Airbus came up with an idea of allowing passengers to be braced in a vertical “seat”.

Ryanair also proposed standing areas on its fleet in 2010. At the time boss Michael O’Leary described the standing seats as “bar stools with seatbelts” and expressed doubts that seatbelts were even necessary. “A plane is “just a b----- bus with wings”, he said, “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you. You don't need a seatbelt on the London Underground. You don't need a seatbelt on trains which are travelling at 120mph.”

Civil Aviation Authorities disagree however, and vertical seats have not been approved by regulators in any country so far. This may also prove to be the case in Colombia. Civil Aviation Director Alfredo Bocanegra told RCN radio that he does not approve. “People have to travel like human beings,” he said. “Anyone who had ridden on public mass transport knows that it’s not the best when you’re standing.”

I DISAGREE TO THIS EVEN A SENIOR CITIZEN YOU WILL STAND THEM UP IN ONE HOUR THAT SOO BAD EVEN HAVE BABY PASSENGERS AND KIDS WILL LET THEM STAND UP TOO IN ONE HOUR WTFH THIS IS IDIOTIC IDEA EVEN ITS BUDGET AIRLINE I WONT HOP THERE AND STANDING IN 1 HOUR 

TAKE NOTE WHAT IF THERES AIR TURBOLANCE AND LANDING ETC THAT WILL CAUSE ACCIDENTS

your opinions?

#2 金彩媛

金彩媛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

those flights better be dirt cheap

#3 Iceprince

Iceprince

JB's husband

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

That is dangerous wtf are they thinking. They should be taken off their licences as airline

#4 amal.ha

amal.ha

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

What ???? What about security ? It will be extremely unsafe.

#5 Shiroi

Shiroi

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Ryanair also proposed standing areas on its fleet in 2010. At the time boss Michael O’Leary described the standing seats as “bar stools with seatbelts” and expressed doubts that seatbelts were even necessary. “A plane is “just a b----- bus with wings”, he said, “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won’t save you. You don't need a seatbelt on the London Underground. You don't need a seatbelt on trains which are travelling at 120mph.”

What I'm getting from this is that they're trying to save money by risking lives. Someone should really look into this and prevent it from ever happening.

Speaking from personal experience a lot of the time I don't feel safe on any vehicle without seat belts. Just because a lot of public transport doesn't have them doesn't make it right.

Also aside from the reasons op already mentioned this move is incredibly ablest. Where are wheelchair users going to be placed? People with chronic pain? This can't be allowed.

#6 adda

adda

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:15 AM (Edited by adda, 11 January 2019 - 09:20 AM.)

if it's a short fly, no more than 45 minutes, than I see no problem. It's passengers option to chose if they want to sit or stand. Nobody is forcing them to buy tickets in a plane that doesn't provide seats/

#7 Egoísta

Egoísta

Cogito ergo sum

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

What the hell? :derp:
I don’t even have to have any knowledge of planes to know that’s dangerous what peanut thought of this

#8 #InKangDanielWeTrust!

#InKangDanielWeTrust!

♕ ahga-leadernim™ ♕

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

We goin' down down baby

#9 katsu • curry • chips

katsu • curry • chips

𝕋𝕆𝕂𝕐𝕆 𝔾𝕀ℝ𝕃

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,972 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

There’s no way this is safe ffs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 BeTaS

BeTaS

(≡・ x ・≡)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

imagine the landing and the takeoff. Brings new meaning to hold on for your dear life motherfuckers.

#11 admiralfarizi

admiralfarizi

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:00 AM (Edited by admiralfarizi, 11 January 2019 - 10:04 AM.)

do they even consider the flight duration? or the weight distribution? or turbulence, sudden altitude drop?

that is just so messed up just from the safety department.

#12 Seriously

Seriously

It's all good...

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Ugh, imagine a plane crashing full of people, stood packed together like sardines... amgplz.png This is a ridiculous idea!

#13 Villanelle

Villanelle

got dinero on my mind

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

If you don't want to stand op there a plenty of other options in planes where you can sit. If this makes flights significantly cheaper, it is a great option for people who don't have the finances for traditional flights...just because it seems dumb to you doesn't mean there aren't people who may benefit

#14 Frozen

Frozen

Debutee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

You're going to have people jumping around and starting fights

#15 StanSatan

StanSatan

Theorist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

so no space/barrier between me and another passenger?

#16 Riserise

Riserise

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

I'm surprised nobody tried this already.

#17 capital

capital

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

Well I've taken 2, 3 hour long bus journeys standing. Even up and down mountains with tuberail like handholds to keep ourselves steady. So, if there is a small area on these planes on which slightly higher paying moms, elderly and the disabled can sit, and rest can pay super cheap prices to travel fast for short distances I see this revolutionising the airline industry. I'm for this.

#18 PeachyKeys!

PeachyKeys!

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

Lmao they just wanna squeeze more bodies in there plane. No thanks.

#19 K(ai)POP

K(ai)POP

Idol

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

This better be hoax

#20 PeperoAddict89

PeperoAddict89

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

extreame turbalance is most likely gonna have those folks flying all around the cabin.

Up, Up and Away!