Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

'Most of them are gay': Rodrigo Duterte calls on the Catholic Church to allow its 'useless' priests to have boyfriends

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Neoteros

Neoteros

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:52 AM (Edited by Neoteros, 11 January 2019 - 08:53 AM.)

Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte has called on the Catholic Church to allow priests to have boyfriends.

In a shocking speech given at a groundbreaking ceremony for a school near the capital Manila on Friday Duterte claimed 'most priests are gay' as he doubled down on a previous claim that 'almost 90 per cent' of the clergy are homosexuals. 

'Only I can say bishops are sons of b*****s, damn you. That is true. Most of them are gay,' he said.

'They should come out in the open, cancel celibacy and allow them to have boyfriends.'

Duterte, who is a practicing Catholic, has previously spoken openly about his childhood abuse at the hands of a priest.

It comes just a month after Duterte said in a speech at the Presidential Palace in the Phillippines that Catholic priests are 'useless fools' who should be 'killed'.  

Duterte's strong remarks are believed to have been made in response to the Catholic church's opposition to his government's ongoing war on drugs, which has left thousands dead.

According to local reports, Duterte's comments were made during a speech at the presidential palace on December 6.

'These bishops that you guys have, kill them. They are useless fools. All they do is criticise,' Duterte said. 

He also called the church 'the most hypocritical institution' and said his God is different from the one Catholics worship.  

The Catholic church has also made their concerns known, following the death of three of its priests since December 2017.

However, Duterte has hit back at the church on various occasions about church morality in light of the high-profile international sexual abuse scandals involving priests.   

https://www.dailymai...boyfriends.html

#2 Egoísta

Egoísta

Cogito ergo sum

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Ok but why cancel celibacy..

#3 YuMing

YuMing

:3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

I mean yeah if they want they should be able to have boyfriends but 

"'Only I can say bishops are sons of b*****s, damn you. That is true. Most of them are gay,' he said.

'They should come out in the open, cancel celibacy and allow them to have boyfriends.'

Duterte, who is a practicing Catholic, has previously spoken openly about his childhood abuse at the hands of a priest.

It comes just a month after Duterte said in a speech at the Presidential Palace in the Phillippines that Catholic priests are 'useless fools' who should be 'killed'."

0u0plz.png 0u0plz.png 0u0plz.png 0u0plz.png 0u0plz.png

#4 Iceprince

Iceprince

JB's husband

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

As far as i know they cant have even gf so... why bf should be exception?

#5 #InKangDanielWeTrust!

#InKangDanielWeTrust!

♕ ahga-leadernim™ ♕

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Welp celibacy is stupid anyways

#6 Cinnabear

Cinnabear

fs & sf

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Um no...Catholic priests are supposed to be celibate, period. No exceptions should be allowed. 

#7 金彩媛

金彩媛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

maybe he knows firsthand

#8 Solfa

Solfa

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

Welp celibacy is stupid anyways

Celibacy is supposed to be their sacrifice to prove their piety though. Nobody likes celibacy that’s why it’s a sacrifice. I don’t agree with it, but it has a purpose that’s meaningful for Catholic people. If it was for me, I’d let them have all the partners they want as long as they are not children and they consent to the relationship. But I’d understand if Catholics wouldn’t want this. There are Catholics that care about this and Catholics that don’t, I understand both.

I don’t like the reason given here though, this isn’t progressive, it’s homophobic as hell. Just as the article says Duterte has associated Catholicism with negative things in the past, and has demanded their extermination too. By saying ‘let them be gay’ is using that as another negative thing to associate with Catholicism.

#9 capital

capital

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

Well it seems Duterte suffered abuse at hands of Catholic clergy so he thinks if clergy could have boyfriends they won't assault young boys anymore?

Up, Up and Away!