Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

“He’s not hurting the people he needs to be”: a Trump voter says the quiet part out loud

23 replies to this topic

#1 sickwithsin

sickwithsin

☼ ☾ ☆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:34 PM (Edited by sickwithsin, 08 January 2019 - 03:44 PM.)

A Trump voter hurt by the shutdown reveals the real reason the president attracts hardcore supporters.

On Monday, the New York Times’s Patricia Mazzei published a dispatch from Marianna, Florida — a small, politically conservative town that depends on jobs from a federal prison and thus has been deeply hurt by the government shutdown. In the piece, Marianna residents grapple with the fact that President Donald Trump, who most residents support, is playing a role in the pain created by lost wages.

Most Marianna residents support Trump’s border wall, his key demand in the shutdown fight, and don’t blame him for the fight. But Crystal Minton, a secretary at the prison who is also a single mother caring for disabled parents, had a somewhat different reaction — one that reveals an essential truth about the core Trump’s political appeal.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” Minton told Mazzei. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.

Think about that line for a second. Roll it over in your head. In essence, Minton is declaring that one aim of the Trump administration is to hurt people — the right people. Making America great again, in her mind, involves inflicting pain.

This is not an accident. Trump’s political victory and continuing appeal depend on a brand of politics that marginalizes and targets groups disliked by his supporters. Trump supporters don’t so much love the Republican party as they hate Democrats, a phenomenon political scientists call “negative partisanship.” They like Trump not because he sells them on the GOP, but because they believe he’ll stick it to the Democrats harder than anyone else.

The president’s particular brand of identity politics — the racist attacks on blacks and Latinos, the Muslim ban, his cruel treatment of women — similarly depends on negative rather than positive appeals. Antoine Banks, a political psychologist at the University of Maryland, wrote a book on the connection between anger as an emotion and racial politics. When politicians gin up anger, an emotion that necessarily has a negative target, voters tend to think about the world in more racial (and racist) terms. Trump makes his voters angry, he centers that anger on hated targets, and that makes them want to take his side.

This is what makes Trumpism work. This is the dark heart of our political moment. Even people who are tremendously vulnerable themselves, like Crystal Minton, support Trump because of his capacity to inflict pain on others they detest. The cruelty, as the Atlantic’s Adam Serwer says, is the point.

https://www.vox.com/...n-voter-florida

Ms. Minton is exactly the kind of person the Democratic Party is trying to help, but she's too blinded by manufactured fear and hatred to see it. I kind of wish the journalist had asked her to clarify who the president should be hurting and why ... Except we already have a good idea of what her response would have been: a regurgitation of Fox News talking points.

#2 YuMing

YuMing

:3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  • LocationOUI OUI MON AMI JE M'APPELLE LAFAYETTE

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

that secretary is messed up yikes

#3 Riserise

Riserise

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

That's what happens when you think it's more important to hurt people than to help yourself.

#4 BeTaS

BeTaS

(≡・ x ・≡)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts
  • LocationI know location, but I don't know location's name

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

i voted to have my tax dollars spent on people like this. I want them to not go bankrupt because of healthcare and they want to hurt me for it. Demented.

#5 MasterOfCider

MasterOfCider

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

I'm unsurprised, though I'm glad she admits the truth. It's okay to hurt people if you're not the one being affected. Republicans have no empathy. I also enjoy this article stating the one thing I've suspected for years. Many people who vote right don't have any opinions at all. They just wanna try to trigger the left for the hell of it. They're sad individuals.

#6 PeachyKeys!

PeachyKeys!

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

The truth always come out lol.

#7 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

You've made your bed. Now lie on it.

#8 capital

capital

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Locationaxiah

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

Well if they want the people who took away the jobs to be hurt, for those to feel the pain the lower-middle to lower class Americans felt - is that wrong? People did vote Trump in to drain the swamp.

#9 Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Locationsomewhere tasty

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:13 PM (Edited by Yggdrasil, 09 January 2019 - 12:16 PM.)

Well if they want the people who took away the jobs to be hurt, for those to feel the pain the lower-middle to lower class Americans felt - is that wrong? People did vote Trump in to drain the swamp.

Trump has never worked a day in his life for anyone in the middle class, let alone lower class. So yes, it is pretty stupid to think he would ever care about them. All he cares about is his ego getting stroked. And how many more Trump associates need to go to jail before people realize he just might not be draining the swamp?

#10 MasterOfCider

MasterOfCider

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Those jobs are archaic and will either never come back or never come back the way the used to. Those people are living on hopes and dreams and not reality if they thought anything different. Never mind trusting a rich man to put the needs of anyone other than those of his same economic status first.

#11 sickwithsin

sickwithsin

☼ ☾ ☆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:39 PM (Edited by sickwithsin, 09 January 2019 - 03:41 PM.)

People voted for Donald because they thought he hated all the people they hate. But it turns out his malignant narcissism and overwhelming need to shield himself from and blame others for his crimes and mistakes are far more important than the manufactured vendettas Republican voters have against the left, or immigrants, or minorities, or whoever the current bogeyman is.

#12 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,872 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

Just let them die. Me and my state pay too much money to support people who hate us.

#13 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:13 PM (Edited by TheBigMermaid, 09 January 2019 - 04:15 PM.)

Those people did not take away those jobs. They didn't have the power to. 

It's the people who chose to employ illegal people instead of Americans who are the problem. If you want to hurt those people who took away those jobs, then stop buying their products and spread information about what they do.

They are the same people who want to lower the minimum wage. 

The same people who were the first who started profiting from the crisis, while lots were unemployed. 

The same people who don't want the lady from the the first post to have health care. 

And don't vote for them. Because Trump's companies have hired illegal immigrants as well. So much for draining the swamp. 

You didn't really expect he would drain a swamp that he profits from, did you?

#14 BeTaS

BeTaS

(≡・ x ・≡)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts
  • LocationI know location, but I don't know location's name

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

i think she meant the brown people, the immigrants, democrats, and basically anyone who didn’t vote for Trump.

#15 Riserise

Riserise

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

i voted to have my tax dollars spent on people like this. I want them to not go bankrupt because of healthcare and they want to hurt me for it. Demented.

It's sad.

#16 sickwithsin

sickwithsin

☼ ☾ ☆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

+1

I love this line. It's very succinct.

#17 capital

capital

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Locationaxiah

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:18 AM

Trump has never worked a day in his life for anyone in the middle class, let alone lower class. So yes, it is pretty stupid to think he would ever care about them. All he cares about is his ego getting stroked. And how many more Trump associates need to go to jail before people realize he just might not be draining the swamp?

Well people have for years voted in people other than Trump or even Republicans - Clinton and then Obama have had years. Did these people find structural and progressive innovations which didn't gut their communities? The answer is no, right?

The topic isn't just Trump. It is the hope for a way out of misery - both Obama and Trump were voted in on that issue.

Those jobs are archaic and will either never come back or never come back the way the used to. Those people are living on hopes and dreams and not reality if they thought anything different. Never mind trusting a rich man to put the needs of anyone other than those of his same economic status first.

Those jobs gave them a purpose and a life of dignity. Where is the solution for them? Should they just accept the humiliation and wither away silently?

Who among the politicians now aren't rich? There was Bernie as an option but...

Those people did not take away those jobs. They didn't have the power to. 

It's the people who chose to employ illegal people instead of Americans who are the problem. If you want to hurt those people who took away those jobs, then stop buying their products and spread information about what they do.

They are the same people who want to lower the minimum wage. 

The same people who were the first who started profiting from the crisis, while lots were unemployed. 

The same people who don't want the lady from the the first post to have health care. 

And don't vote for them. Because Trump's companies have hired illegal immigrants as well. So much for draining the swamp. 

I'm not American and wouldn't vote for either the venal Repubs or the corrupt Dems. This is not about party-line voting, not "either you're with us or against us". Of course there are segments of the lesser educated, agricultural rural population who are not up-to-date with everything in politics. Is it not the job of those who castigate them to make easy-to-understand solutions for them and help run principled candidates?

As for Trump - isn't he just a symbol of the corruption of the whole system? Aren't politicians from across the aisle complicit. Post-recession did the Dems fully prosecute Wall Street cats?

i think she meant the brown people, the immigrants, democrats, and basically anyone who didn’t vote for Trump.

Did she say so? No. That is your presumption. There are many who voted for Obama who voted for Trump this time. I'm not saying that there aren't racists, misogynists among Trump voters. But there are Dem voters among Black and Latino populations who are anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage. Things aren't black and white.

Just let them die. Me and my state pay too much money to support people who hate us.

Maybe reconsider your statement. "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster".

#18 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Well people have for years voted in people other than Trump or even Republicans - Clinton and then Obama have had years. Did these people find structural and progressive innovations which didn't gut their communities? The answer is no, right?

The topic isn't just Trump. It is the hope for a way out of misery - both Obama and Trump were voted in on that issue.

Obama tried very hard to give people better health care. In fact, the 2013 government shutdown was caused because Republicans tried to block the Affordable Care Act. During his presidency they tried to block him at every turn

Also, Obama did in fact sign the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Unfortunately, this was partly repealed under Trump.

#19 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,872 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:55 AM

Those jobs gave them a purpose and a life of dignity. Where is the solution for them? Should they just accept the humiliation and wither away silently?

Who among the politicians now aren't rich? There was Bernie as an option but...

I'm not American and wouldn't vote for either the venal Repubs or the corrupt Dems. This is not about party-line voting, not "either you're with us or against us". Of course there are segments of the lesser educated, agricultural rural population who are not up-to-date with everything in politics. Is it not the job of those who castigate them to make easy-to-understand solutions for them and help run principled candidates?

As for Trump - isn't he just a symbol of the corruption of the whole system? Aren't politicians from across the aisle complicit. Post-recession did the Dems fully prosecute Wall Street cats?

Did she say so? No. That is your presumption. There are many who voted for Obama who voted for Trump this time. I'm not saying that there aren't racists, misogynists among Trump voters. But there are Dem voters among Black and Latino populations who are anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage. Things aren't black and white.

Maybe reconsider your statement. "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster".

No, I'm fine with my statement. I see no similarity with these people. They are completely foreign to me. Hell, there are actual foreigners that I have more similarity to than them.

#20 capital

capital

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Locationaxiah

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Obama tried very hard to give people better health care. In fact, the 2013 government shutdown was caused because Republicans tried to block the Affordable Care Act. During his presidency they tried to block him at every turn

Also, Obama did in fact sign the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Unfortunately, this was partly repealed under Trump.

The article speaks of a town which depends on 'jobs' from a federal prison to survive - I was writing about how the jobs are important, and the salary from those sustains the community. The marked anguish is obviously centred on that - the lack of dignifying work to do.

Of course Republicans tried to block him from any landmark acts - it is a fight to stop him from doing anything to keep Dems in power long term. And the people expected him to fight the Repubs down, to fight the fat-cat corporates, to bring jobs back, to make their lives more safe and secure than before. And Obama failed his humonguous mandate.

I don't deny that Obamacare had good intentions, but in simplest terms a) too complicated to fill by common rural people, b) state-to-state lack of insurance continuity c) premium and subsidy system not properly integrated. It is not Universal Healthcare.

As for Dodd-Frank, people present the Volcker Rule as the Glass-Steagall Act in spirit. But, DF suffers opacity and complexity like ACA - it has some 398 rules, lets the biggest companies amass larger amounts of deposit (remember JP Morgan London case happened post it), does not terrify with jailing...Actually just read this http://wallstreetonp...o-they-compare/

Also, the masses want the bankers, the regulators who let the recession happen to be punished - not be given bailouts out of which the main architects pay themselves handsomely. Obama's govt. didn't prosecute Wall Street biggies, and post presidency he earns millions giving them talks - you see how it looks? https://www.theguard...secutions-obama

Please let us not pretend that both parties haven't cut out the legs out from beneath vulnerable people. For the same reasons these people voted for Trump, they voted for Obama - hope for justice, to 'drain the swamp'.

Up, Up and Away!