Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrs.otter

What can you afford with minimum wage in your country?

Here:

+ rent for a house with 2 bedrooms in the periphery area in the bigger cities like Istanbul or Ankara (around 1000 try)

+ pay the bills (~100 try for internet, ~300 try for heating, ~150 try for electricity + water)

+ 1/3 of the food expenses for two people (~450 try).

I'm from Turkey btw.

What about you guys?

It really depends on the person I've seen people make the mim wage and live decently while some make 3 to 4 times that but still live in dept . 

As for what a person can afford 

Rant a small 2 bathroom app in some affordable parts of the city 

Health care come with it because once you are signed with a company you get automatic health care 

Food is cheap here 

Electricity + Water 

Most households that make the min wage have double income so double the min wage . 

We dont have one. But probably 1 room apratment not in big city and capital area+ food (the cheapest options) for 1+ most relevant bills like phone and electricity

here (toronto/ontario-> $14/hour=$2240)

+rent if shared with at least two other roommates NOT downtown/centretown ($1000-$1300)

+bills (internet $60-$70, cheaper basic phone plan $40-$50, utilities $100-$150)

+commute ($100-$300 depending on how often you need to use the transit system and which transport you use)

+basic food groceries ($400-$500)

+some fun (whatever you got leftover)

here (toronto/ontario-> $14/hour=$2240)

+rent if shared with at least two other roommates NOT downtown/centretown ($1000-$1300)

+bills (internet $60-$70, cheaper basic phone plan $40-$50, utilities $100-$150)

+commute ($100-$300 depending on how often you need to use the transit system and which transport you use)

+basic food groceries ($400-$500)

+some fun (whatever you got leftover)

So the rent is around 3000 dollars? :o

idk

So the rent is around 3000 dollars? :o

yeah rent is really expensive in gta, you'd be lucky if you can find something around $2k-$3k, otherwise it's most likely an unsafe neighborhood. even ppl with higher paying jobs would find it difficult to live alone in toronto.

(other parts of ontario are not like this, for example waterloo, and ottawa you can find really good/cheap rent)

orange county, ca:

rent in a 1 bedroom apartment if sharing with another person and the cost of the apartment is below $2000. living by yourself is out of the question. If renting in a 2 bedroom apartment and rent is, say, $2200/month, every bedroom will have to be shared in order for every person to only pay $550/month in rent. 

basic bills (electricity, gas, water/sewage/trash) - if you're very conservative about your electricity, heating (this uses up your gas bill the most), and water usage then your bills won't be more than $20-30/month. 

groceries at ethnic markets (i always buy my groceries at asian markets like hmart because i can get cheaper produce there compared to western supermarkets)

yeah rent is really expensive in gta, you'd be lucky if you can find something around $2k-$3k, otherwise it's most likely an unsafe neighborhood. even ppl with higher paying jobs would find it difficult to live alone in toronto.

(other parts of ontario are not like this, for example waterloo, and ottawa you can find really good/cheap rent)

warstarplz.png

Minimum wage in my US state is $7.25. $7.25 x 40 hours = $290 a week.

$290 a week x 4 = $1160 a month.

$1160 - taxes ≈ $1000

A one bedroom apartment costs anywhere from $650~$1150 in my state and usually requires an income 3X the price of rent. So with an income of $1000 a month, one cannot afford a place to live by themself.