Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maiha

Koreans learners need help. What rule is it?

Hi again.

Why in this video Haneul and keuda has different ã…¡ pronunciation. In Haneul its more like e

Why?

I wish i knew too. Korean has so many sounds that do not exist in my native language so it's hard to me tell which sound is which. I can uderstand speaking but if i have to write something i heard,it will be mess lol

they sound the same tho... maybe bc you're saying eul with the l after it, it (seems like it) sounds a bit different bc you say it in one sound rather than keu which ends with eu & nothing after it.

they sound the same tho... maybe bc you're saying eul with the l after it, it (seems like it) sounds a bit different bc you say it in one sound rather than keu which ends with eu & nothing after it.

But Haneul and keuda sounds different

But Haneul and keuda sounds different

they're two different words, the eu sound in both is pmuch the same tho

the eu sound is the same in both words, it's just that koreans have some habitudes of pronouncing the eu sound in a very, very slightly... spread way (?), I'm not sure how to explain it since it's something you realize when you watch stuff/listen to songs, but it's the same sound, just a biiiiiiiiit spread sometimes depending on the accent/consonant after or before/or randomly, it's almost like both ö and Ä± sounds in Turkish that are put as one sound in Korean as eu

the eu sound in Haneul sounds more like e

why ask for help if you wont listen to what we're tryna explain lol, when i just started with korean 4 years ago a lot of things sounded similar to me like eo and o but now i realise they're completely different. 

why ask for help if you wont listen to what we're tryna explain lol, when i just started with korean 4 years ago a lot of things sounded similar to me like eo and o but now i realise they're completely different. 

How about word Eun Suh? How do you pronounce it? thank for help

There's a range of acceptable pronunciation for the vowel, like with any vowel. The standard pronunciation might be the midpoint between e and u but when using it in a word/sentence, the letters around it might make it easier to pronounce it more as an e or as a u. That being said, the difference between the eu sound in haneul and keuda is veryyy minimal to my ears..

Maiha, on 06 Jan 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

i don't understand how you're hearing it as "e" because the pronunciation of the "으" sound in both 하늘 and í¬ë‹¤ both sound the same to me, it doesn't even sound like "e" to me (also i need you to clarify what you mean by "e" sound--do you mean a short e sound as in "eh" or a long e sound as in "ee", like how you pronounce the letter E when saying the alphabet?)

Say haneul, take the neul part and say it VERY, VERY SLOW. ha-nuuuu-ellll

keuda, just take the keu part, kuh-uuuuhhhh-da

when you say it very slowly and clearly you will be able to really hear the á…³ (eu) in both words.

It sounds different to your ears at normal speed because they are attached to different consonants before and after, and also because your ears are not familiar with the phonetics/sounds of the Korean language. They're really different to English sounds.

They sound slightly different because of how the letters/syllables end. Just like an English syllable ending in t vs l can make the vowel sound different, ㄹ and ã„· are different sounds with different palate/tongue placement. 하늘 doesn't let the 으 sound extend as much as í¬ë‹¤ does, but it doesn't mean the vowel sounds are programmatically different

The ‘eu’ sound in Korean varies between in what IPA are written as /ɨ/~/ɯ/. In fact, when it comes IPA, both are used because both are correct, Wikipedia is more likely to use /ɯ/ to represent that sound, while Korean scholars are more likely to use /ɨ/. There was actually a discussion about that in Wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Korean_phonology#Korean_pronunciation_key?and the decision to use /ɯ/ everywhere was chosen just to be consistent.