• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#241 Stardust42

Stardust42

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to J-Music, and I honestly have no idea what's out there, and it's actually kinda difficult to navigate your way through the possibilities. I know a few big names that are older like Arashi, Koda Kumi, Namie Amuro, Utada Hikaru, and Ayumi Hamasaki, but beyond them I don't know anything about J-Music. Just out of curiosity, who is big in Japan right now? What are the most popular tracks and artists from 2016? I would like to get to know what people are listening to these days.

Regardless of their popularity, I would also like some recommendations based on my music taste. I like things that are a sexy and raunchy like Koda Kumi, and the cute, upbeat, high-pitched anime sound that I hear a lot in Japanese idol groups makes my stomach fucking turn. Musically speaking, I like r&b-influenced pop sounds, and I like dreamy vocals. I also like intricate choreography and music you can dance to. Idk I can't really explain myself well, but if you can name a couple of artists based on that wet fart of a description I just wrote, be my guest. I'm mostly interested in discovering Japan's popular acts.

Hey, I made a playlist with the best girlgroups, covering other music styles (like metal, electropop, EDM, denpa songs), maybe you can check out and see what you like. From what I can see, maybe you should check these (they're all on the playlist):

Big acts: 

- Perfume (it's well produced electropop with amazing choreo, maybe you don't like it cause the producer change the girls' voices, but Perfume it's a must watch/hear thing in j-music)

- E-girls (great pop music and amazing choreo, they're from LDH, the company of Exile Tribe)

- Flower (greaaaat vocals, beautiful songs and amazing choreo. It's a sub-unit from E-girls)

- Happiness (good pop, they're amazing dancers, another sub-unit from E-girls)

- BABYMETAL (metal + kawaii, maybe you already know them)

- AAA (great jpop, it's a mixed group, they're not on the playlist, search for NEW and the live of Next Stage at Gold Symphony Tour)

smaller acts

- Keyakizaka46 (just begin with Futari Saison and keep going if you like them)

- Kalafina (really beautiful vocals)

- FEMM (EDM duo)

- FAKY (good girlgroup)

here's the playlist: https://www.youtube....Yd8vw4DRjM2v0ED

For soloists:

- Kana Nishino, popular between youngters japanese

- Mika Nakashima (pop, jazz, pop rock, big name)

- Nissy (he's from AAA, great singer and dancer)

And keep searching for Namie, Koda, Ayumi and Utada, they're the beast. Try to watch Namie/Koda/Ayumi shows, they're amazing :D

#242 keegan_519

keegan_519

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationNana's bed

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hey, I made a playlist with the best girlgroups, covering other music styles (like metal, electropop, EDM, denpa songs), maybe you can check out and see what you like. From what I can see, maybe you should check these (they're all on the playlist):

Big acts: 

- Perfume (it's well produced electropop with amazing choreo, maybe you don't like it cause the producer change the girls' voices, but Perfume it's a must watch/hear thing in j-music)

- E-girls (great pop music and amazing choreo, they're from LDH, the company of Exile Tribe)

- Flower (greaaaat vocals, beautiful songs and amazing choreo. It's a sub-unit from E-girls)

- Happiness (good pop, they're amazing dancers, another sub-unit from E-girls)

- BABYMETAL (metal + kawaii, maybe you already know them)

- AAA (great jpop, it's a mixed group, they're not on the playlist, search for NEW and the live of Next Stage at Gold Symphony Tour)

smaller acts

- Keyakizaka46 (just begin with Futari Saison and keep going if you like them)

- Kalafina (really beautiful vocals)

- FEMM (EDM duo)

- FAKY (good girlgroup)

here's the playlist: https://www.youtube....Yd8vw4DRjM2v0ED

For soloists:

- Kana Nishino, popular between youngters japanese

- Mika Nakashima (pop, jazz, pop rock, big name)

- Nissy (he's from AAA, great singer and dancer)

And keep searching for Namie, Koda, Ayumi and Utada, they're the beast. Try to watch Namie/Koda/Ayumi shows, they're amazing :D

Thank you so much! I'll check it out :)

#243 taishi

taishi

Trainee

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

Thank you so much! I'll check it out :)

May I also suggest The Hotpantz :) 

#244 DaeByun

DaeByun

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Can anyone recommend any recent JPOP songs that sound similar to this style?

#245 whoinside

whoinside

Idol

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationWill be away for a while

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:54 PM (Edited by whoinside, 12 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.)

Can anyone recommend any recent JPOP songs that sound similar to this style?

Fairies

Doll Elements (but they're disbanding tomorrow T_T)

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you were looking for.

Tokyo Jyoshiryu covered "Love Like Candy Floss" a couple years ago but their version is completely different and not really good but their other songs are nice.

#246 keegan_519

keegan_519

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationNana's bed

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

Any J-music artists similar to Crush?

#247 returnroad

returnroad

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

trying to get into hitomi's discography, which album should I start with?

#248 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:19 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 31 January 2017 - 04:40 PM.)

Can anyone recommend me artists (preferably female soloists) similar to k-indie artists like Standing Egg or 10cm who sing mellow, coffee shop type of music, or who sings songs with a sound similar to these?

Up, Up and Away!