Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baby Pickle

Is depression or talking about mental health taboo in your culture?

In my culture no one really talks about it at all.

If you don't mind op where are you from? 

I know lots of closed-minded parents who just don't get it but it's not a taboo topic 

Eh. Could do better.

My dads ignorant af when it comes to mental illness, like he would scream at me when I'm having a panic attack and mock me twitching

I’m Latina so yes

If you don't mind op where are you from? 

I know lots of closed-minded parents who just don't get it but it's not a taboo topic 

um from pakistan

um from pakistan

Didn't you say you were from India? 

Eh. Could do better.

My dads ignorant af when it comes to mental illness, like he would scream at me when I'm having a panic attack and mock me twitching

Wtf that's vile

the black community is fucking ass at addressing mental health

Didn't you say you were from India? 

no, I've never claimed that i'm indian though I've expressed my liking for bollywood a lot

Big time. It’s to the point where they say someone who is clearly dealing with mental issues is possessed by a demon and they genuinely believe that....

where i live, it's a normal thing and talking about your mental illness is encouraged, meanwhile in my culture it's taboo and is seen as stuff that shouldn't be talked about in public

No it's not taboo where I live. Sad in 2019 that in some places it's still like that

It's not taboo but many people are still ignorant about it (like my parents for instance)

It's not a taboo but still a long way to go to normalize it.

It's not taboo here. Basically everyone I know is in therapy and talks quite openly about it.

in my country it increases the awareness now, as my username I'm fighting with it.

In my culture it’s taboo. They’ll just tell us to read the Qur’an and pray if we’re depressed or have a panic attack. Or they think you’re possessed.

But since I live in the UK, my parents have become educated and more aware of mental illnesses and were quick to help me get professional help. Also my mum has many relatives that suffer from bipolar disorder, so that’s another reason why she’s more accepting of the fact that mental disorders are valid and not just someone being overdramatic. My dad was also one of my biggest supporters since he’s lived in the UK since he was a child, so he wasn’t brought up with ignorance towards mental illnesses.

I will say a little perhaps, like sure people can talk about it but when it has to be talked seriously nobody does a sht, and people who have whatever thing they have, here they don't treat it for real, they just say "you have to start to try more hard to be better" but the real help is not there.

Yes. You have depression? Go to church. You have schizophrenia? You need an exorcism. Basically praying and church is the cure for everything :')

Isn't it the same almost everywhere? Nobody likes to acknowledge it bc they think it'll disappear if they don't

Well I'm Asian-American so it's quite interesting the different between American and Asian culture in talking about mental health. Like people are very open about talking about mental health issues in the U.S. which is really great. But when I try to talk to my parents or other Asian friends about these issues they just tell me to get over it. One of my Chinese friends even confided to me that she was skeptical that our other friend had depression and told me if she just exercised it would all go away. unsure.png

Yep unfortunately. Within my family its gotten somewhat better, as older family members have been getting proper help semi-recently. However, a large percentage overall within the culture have difficulty admitting where it stems from. As well as trusting people who want to help with treatment because of pride, fear or embarrassment. So then things end up getting worse as long as its ignored and ignorance keeps being taught throughout different generations. Many people also see mental issues as a problem for only a certain race/culture, but not us for some reason.