Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

For those who this question applies to, do you usually use ratemyprofessor to choose classes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 TalkingCat

TalkingCat

Idol

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Sometimes there are some really interesting classes I want to take but when I see some professors with low ratings, I want to pass up on those classes .-.

#2 sparkle dust

sparkle dust

✸✺Fairy✺✸

• PipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

never done that but does it actually help? Like do you hear people afterwards being like omg what a bad professor etc 

#3 TalkingCat

TalkingCat

Idol

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

never done that but does it actually help? Like do you hear people afterwards being like omg what a bad professor etc

Some of the descriptions are accurate. Like some professors are really as bad as the students described. But others, I really liked! Like this one professor has a 2.7 rating but I gave her like 4.5/5 because she’s amazing at teaching and her lectures are really fun

#4 kalon

kalon

without you, my heart has no home

• Events Team
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

YES ALL THE TIME

this really helps me for sure, i was happy with legit ALL my profs last sem because i used ratemyprof

#5 DolphinGremlin

DolphinGremlin

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

When I was in Uni it really helped. As much as a topic is interesting, a bad professor can really ruin a class for you. It really helps if you have to take classes like physics, chem etc. where there are different professors you can choose from. Usually those classes are pretty tough and you want to choose the best professor to help teach you hard concepts. I usually don't put much weight in rate my professor if that professor only has a few scores. In that case if you are really interested in the topic but are unsure of the professor, I recommend to take that class. I've taken the risk of taking classes with new/unknown professors and they usually turn out great anyways. 

#6 GirlBye

GirlBye

SCONE

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:02 AM (Edited by GirlBye, 03 January 2019 - 12:02 AM.)

yeah i use it, but ive realized a lot of lazies post on there

like a lot of professors that got dragged that i had to take weren't that bad, but all their reviews were "ommgg so many essays i failed!"...like it's college dude not 3rd grade

so dont take every post word for word, maybe ask around 

#7 Quintessential

Quintessential

♕ still bangtan ♕

• PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

I do look at it but I don't take what people say on there as gospel

#8 summerunithotunit

summerunithotunit

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:38 PM

Yeah I do use it a lot to help me. Like if all the reviews are bad then I'll probably pass up the class no matter how much I want to take it. Obviously you have to keep in mind how many reviews there are and the content of them. 

Up, Up and Away!