Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

venus in converse ~

The Women Who Used Tattoos to Save Themselves From Sexual Slavery

When the Japanese Imperial Army occupied countries across Southeast Asia during World War II, soldiers kidnapped thousands of young women to serve as “comfort women†or forced sex workers. But on the tiny island of Timor, local women figured out how to use the Japanese forces' apparent respect for married women against them and save themselves from sexual slavery. These women chose to heavily tattoo themselves—thus marking them as “taken†or married according to local beliefs. The plan worked. Japanese soldiers avoided the tattooed women of Malaka, Timor, and the women were able to avoid the dark fate that hundreds of thousands of others were forced into. Many believe that the ritual stopped taking place in the 60s when the New Order regime perpetuated the criminal stereotype for the tattooed. Today, only a few of these “tattooed women†remain alive. VICE host Kathleen Malay travelled to Malaka to hear their stories.

That must have been so scary and painful

But it's touching how lively and nice they are after everything they've been through

I'm not really in the state of mind to watch a video on this depressing topic, but I don't understand why the Japanese would be stopped by knowing these women were married? Did they really care not to abuse the married women?

I'm not really in the state of mind to watch a video on this depressing topic, but I don't understand why the Japanese would be stopped by knowing these women were married? Did they really care not to abuse the married women?

I read a book on Philippine comfort women, so I recall that the Japanese Imperial army preferred to rape virgins or unmarried girls first. Some married filipino women would slide their wedding bands on unmarried girls' fingers to protect them from the rape.

My family is from Okinawa and I remember my grandma saying that her grandmothers had those beautiful hand tattoos. That was to avoid being kidnapped, too.