Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aelir

How Traditional Wedding Outfits Look Around The World

#1 Indian Wedding

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-35

In Indian culture, pink or red wedding dresses are often the garment of choice for brides. Married woman in the north of the country can often be identified by a bindi.

#2 Kazakhstani Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-9_

In a traditional Kazakh wedding, brides typically wear a headdress known as a "Saukele" as well as a facial veil. The Saukele is usually prepared long before the girls reach the age of marriage.

#3 Nigerian Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-13

Nigeria is a big country with around 250 ethnic groups and over 500 languages. Wedding ceremonies therefore change according to region, religion and ethnic background. However, Nigerian brides often wear brightly colored wedding clothes. They also often wear a Nigerian head tie called a Gele.

#4 Hutsuls Wedding In Ukrainian Carpathians

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-32

The Hutsuls are an ethno-cultural group of Ukrainians who have lived for centuries in the Carpathian mountains. The traditional wedding clothes are very colorful and the weddings themselves are very lively and full of dancing, games and jokes.

#5 Traditional Wedding In Ghana

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-37

Traditional weddings in Ghana are often very colorful, and each family has its own cloth pattern that features on the bride and groom's wedding outfits.

#6 Japanese Wedding

traditional-wedding-dress-6-578f74069e9c

For a traditional Japanese wedding, the bride often wears a pure white kimono for the formal ceremony, which symbolizes purity and maidenhood. After the ceremony the bride may then change into a red kimono to symbolize good luck.

#7 Scottish Wedding

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-38

Men in Scotland traditionally wear the kilt of his clan for his wedding. After the ceremony, the bride wears a shawl emblazoned with her new husband's clan colors to signify her transition into his family.

#8 Mongolian Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-30

In a traditional Mongolian wedding ceremony, the bride and the groom each wear what's known as a Deel. A Deel is a form of patterned clothing that's been worn for centuries by Mongols and other nomadic tribes in Central Asia.

#9 Romanian Bride From Oas Region

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-21

Weddings in Oas are an important event in the north-west part of Transylvania. The wedding is organized by the parents as well as the bride-and-groom-to-be and various different rituals are involved including the preparation of the dowry and the costumes, choosing the godparents, and preparing the wedding flag.

#10 Chinese Wedding

traditional-wedding-dress-1-578f72db1190

In China the colour red is considered to symbolize good luck. The colour is also believed to keep away evil spirits. It's therefore no surprise that traditional Chinese wedding outfits almost always feature the colour red.

#11 Yakan Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-4_

The Yakan are an ethno-linguistic group that mostly inhabit the island of Basilan in the Philippines. Traditional weddings usually consist of two ceremonies, an Islamic one and an older, pre-Islamic ritual. The weddings are arranged by the parents and both the bride and groom wear face paint for the ceremony.

#12 Bride In Gora Region Between Kosovo And Macedonia

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-10

The Gorani people are Muslims by faith, but their traditions and customs contain various pagan elements. The bride is carried on a white horse covered with a scarf and a specially decorated umbrella during wedding festivities, and she accompanies her family to the neighbour's house of her husband-to-be.

#13 Indonesian Wedding

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-27

Indonesia has over 17,000 islands and so weddings here vary greatly depending on where people live and which of the 300+ ethnic groups they belong to.

#14 Traditional Wedding Costumes And Bridal Crown From Norway

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-24

In Norway, the traditional wedding costume is called a Bunad. It can also be worn for other occasions such as christening parties.

#16 Traditional Peruvian Bride In Sacred Valley Near Cuzco, Peru

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-25

Traditional Andean wedding outfits are often bright and include woven cloaks and hats adorned with tassels and reflective material. A special skirt and poncho is made for the bride and groom's wedding day.

Source

The Indian one is so pretty. The Nigerian one I guess it's different depending on the tribe.

Yeah many of these represent only one tribe or region and not the whole country

#17 Traditional Wedding Costumes In Veliky Novgorod, Russia

traditional-wedding-dress-7-578f7f5cd353

Russia has over 185 different ethnic groups, and many of these have their own separate wedding traditions. However, many Russian weddings last for at least two days and some go on for as long as a week.

#18 Hamar Woman In Traditional Dress

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-22

The Hamar people come from Ethiopia. Unmarried women wear large collars made of red, green, and black coloured beads, and married women wear two distinct metals collars. First wives also wear a leather band with a large visible disk attached.

#21 Balinese Wedding, Indonesia

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-1_

Traditional Balinese wedding clothes are often vivid and richly decorated. The bride and the groom often wear crowns of gold on their heads during the ceremony.

#23 Uzbek Bride Wearing Traditional Clothes

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-41

In traditional Uzbek weddings (Nikokh-Tui), the bride wears a colorful outfit hand embroidered with intricate patterns. The wedding ceremony plays an essential role in Uzbek life.

#25 Turkmen Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-14

In Turkmenistan, the traditional wedding ceremony sees the bride dressed up in a red dress made from silk homemade fabric studded with silver or gilded pendants.

#27 Sami Wedding

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-39

The Sami are the indigenous people living in the far north of Europe. The area is called Sápmi and it stretches across parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Kola Peninsula. Their traditional dresses explain a lot about the wearer. For example, single people wear belts with circular buttons, while square buttons mean a person is married.

#29 Maasai Wedding In Kenya

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-17

In a Maasai wedding, the bride is required to wear a bold and colorful necklace made of beads and shells. On the night of the wedding, a party called the "kupamba" takes place. During this party, the bride is allowed to take off her veil and show her hairstyle and jewels.

#30 Bedouin Wedding Veil In Israel

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-14

In traditional Bedouin wedding ceremonies, Bedouin brides often wear a heavy and ornate face veil comprised of various jewelry.

#31 Javanese Wedding

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-33

Traditional Javanese wedding outfits generally include a sarong, a high-collared shirt, a jacket and a blangkon (a traditional Javanese headdress) for the groom, and a sarong, a kebaya (long-sleeved blouse), and a selendang for the bride. The woman's hair is often put in a flat bun called a Sanggul.

#32 Traditional Bride Costume From Schaumburg-lippe, Germany

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-6_

In Germany, traditional bridal headdresses vary from region to region. In the Black Forest valley, the headdress is large and decorated with hundreds of beads and glass balls, while in Buckenburg the emphasis is more on flowers than beads.

#33 Yemenite Jewish Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-18

In a traditional Yemenite Jewish wedding, the bride wears jewelry and an elaborate headdress decorated with flowers and leaves. These are believed to ward off evil. Gold threads are also woven into the fabric of her clothes and wedding celebrations traditionally last seven days.

#34 Traditional Bride In Ribnovo Region In Southwest Bulgaria

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-15

The wedding customs in Bulgaria's Ribnovo region are influenced by Islamic traditions. Festivities last for five days and include lots of singing and dancing. On the second day the bride's face is painted white and adorned with sequins.

#36 Avar Bride Wearing Traditional Costume

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-42

The Avar are a Caucasus native ethnic group living in the Russian republic of Dagestan. Much like their wedding outfits, their traditional wedding ceremonies are also quite elaborate and are generally accompanied by folk dances and music.

#38 Kinnauri Bride

traditional-weddings-around-the-world-10

The Kinnauri people come from Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh, India. In traditional Kinnauri weddings, the bride wear a heavy layer of gold and silver ornaments and a handmade garland made from dry fruits. The bride also wears a hand woven dress with a brightly embroidered hand woven shawl to cover the shoulders.

In Morocco, it depends what region youre from

OIa8Q9K.jpg

The Indian one is so pretty. The Nigerian one I guess it's different depending on the tribe.

Yes, people forget the vast diversity of people's who live in India...

Toggle Hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by CosmicMelody, December 7, 2018 - No reason given
Hidden by CosmicMelody, December 7, 2018 - No reason given

-

I really like traditional Vietnamese wedding outfits! Costume is called Ao Dai (also worn for other occasions, but a special elaborate one for weddings). Usually red for luck also! All though other ethnic groups in Vietnam may have varying traditions. 

e265c1e48748135b281c2d700298a9e0.jpg

Beautiful!

The face paint on the Gorani brides is so fascinating!!!! Haven't seen that before...

Same, she looks like a dolldeepstareplz.png

Personally, I love these colourful wedding dresses to the traditional white wedding dress

I like them all tbhlaugh.png It's also interesting when they have white dresses with traditional elements, like this one from the North Caucasus (I think circassian but I'm not sure)

large.jpg42974305_2206022843053698_32629854956798

Same, she looks like a doll:stare:

I like them all tbh:lol:  It's also interesting when they have white dresses with traditional elements, like this one from the North Caucasus (I think circassian but I'm not sure)

large.jpg42974305_2206022843053698_32629854956798

No those are beautiful, I love the cultural details on dresses

When I meant the white traditional dresses, I meant more like this:

Puffy-A-Line-Tulle-Wedding-Dresses-Sheer

If I have beautiful body and my family okay with me not wearing hijab, I'm tempted to wear this, another version of Javanese wedding dress, originally only royalty who allowed to wear it

weddingkujawa_0105_jdi.jpg

weddingkujawa_0183_jdi.jpg

meanwhile the groom

weddingkujawa_0204_jdi.jpg