Bloomberg - Wall Street Rule for the #MeToo Era: Avoid Women at All Cost

15 replies to this topic

#1 swiftswitchsurf

swiftswitchsurf

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

No more dinners with female colleagues. Don’t sit next to them on flights. Book hotel rooms on different floors. Avoid one-on-one meetings.

In fact, as a wealth adviser put it, just hiring a woman these days is “an unknown risk.” What if she took something he said the wrong way?

Across Wall Street, men are adopting controversial strategies for the #MeToo era and, in the process, making life even harder for women.

Call it the Pence Effect, after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who has said he avoids dining alone with any woman other than his wife. In finance, the overarching impact can be, in essence, gender segregation.

Interviews with more than 30 senior executives suggest many are spooked by #MeToo and struggling to cope. “It’s creating a sense of walking on eggshells,” said David Bahnsen, a former managing director at Morgan Stanley who’s now an independent adviser overseeing more than $1.5 billion.

Now, more than a year into the #MeToo movement -- with its devastating revelations of harassment and abuse in Hollywood, Silicon Valley and beyond -- Wall Street risks becoming more of a boy’s club, rather than less of one.

“Women are grasping for ideas on how to deal with it, because it is affecting our careers,” said Karen Elinski, president of the Financial Women’s Association and a senior vice president at Wells Fargo & Co. “It’s a real loss.”

There’s a danger, too, for companies that fail to squash the isolating backlash and don’t take steps to have top managers be open about the issue and make it safe for everyone to discuss it, said Stephen Zweig, an employment attorney with FordHarrison.

“If men avoid working or traveling with women alone, or stop mentoring women for fear of being accused of sexual harassment,” he said, “those men are going to back out of a sexual harassment complaint and right into a sex discrimination complaint.”

On Wall Street as elsewhere, reactions to #MeToo can smack of paranoia, particularly given the industry’s history of protecting its biggest revenue generators.

“Some men have voiced concerns to me that a false accusation is what they fear,” said Zweig, the lawyer. “These men fear what they cannot control.”

There are as many or more men who are responding in quite different ways. One, an investment adviser who manages about 100 employees, said he briefly reconsidered having one-on-one meetings with junior women. He thought about leaving his office door open, or inviting a third person into the room.

Finally, he landed on the solution: “Just try not to be an asshole.”

That’s pretty much the bottom line, said Ron Biscardi, chief executive officer of Context Capital Partners. “It’s really not that hard.”

source: https://www.bloomber...men-at-all-cost

#2 Nsfw

Nsfw

These Diamonds Last Forever

• Naughty
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

men avoiding me would be a dream come true

#3 swiftswitchsurf

swiftswitchsurf

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

men avoiding me would be a dream come true

sexual exclusion is not the answer to sexual harrassment.

As it only ends up further marginalizing the people who aren't on top.

#4 Nsfw

Nsfw

These Diamonds Last Forever

• Naughty
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

sexual exclusion is not the answer to sexual harrassment.

As it only ends up further marginalizing the people who aren't on top.

You're completely right but I still want them to avoid me

#5 kadi

kadi

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

If you have bad intentions towards any woman, by all means stay away from her lol

#6 admiralfarizi

admiralfarizi

Senior Idol

• Naughty
  • 978 posts
  • Locationorbiting around thirteen cosmic entities

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:55 PM (Edited by admiralfarizi, 05 December 2018 - 10:00 PM.)

sigh.

no matter what men are always in the wrong end i suppose.

"Try not to be an asshole" is a good advice i guess, because recently in my experience, even a slightest good act or intention can be misunderstood by my female friend.

#7 #goddamnitkongwee

#goddamnitkongwee

杨超越锦鲤宫

• Naughty
  • 3,839 posts
  • Location^ Blessing from 杨超越。

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

That how men and women will behave in future. :)

#8 xingyi

xingyi

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationAlola

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:39 AM

I get why tho, didnt a woman sue a 9 yo cause his damn bag touched her butt? 

#9 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

@xingyi, you get why because of one crazy example somewhere to someone you don't know. Do you also get why some women want to avoid men because of several examples in which they themselves have been harassed?

#10 Felix_The_Cat

Felix_The_Cat

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Location444th Air Base

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:28 PM (Edited by Felix_The_Cat, 06 December 2018 - 12:32 PM.)

Congratualtions, feminists, you played yourself. Now women who actually want to succeed in life and work their butts off to get there, have less opportunities to do so, and gender segregation is now going to sky rocket.

#11 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:05 PM

Congratualtions, feminists, you played yourself. Now women who actually want to succeed in life and work their butts off to get there, have less opportunities to do so, and gender segregation is now going to sky rocket.

The fact that men have this kind of power show how necessary feminism is.

And you clearly didn't read the last line:

That’s pretty much the bottom line, said Ron Biscardi, chief executive officer of Context Capital Partners. “It’s really not that hard.”

#12 Felix_The_Cat

Felix_The_Cat

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Location444th Air Base

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:13 PM (Edited by Felix_The_Cat, 06 December 2018 - 03:21 PM.)

The fact that men have this kind of power show how necessary feminism is.

And you clearly didn't read the last line:

Except for the fact that there are women out there who will do just about anything to get someone in trouble simply because they're a man and they don't fit that womans ideals of a man, so they go out of their way to get this men to lose their jobs or being prosecuted and jailed. Theres also the fact that some women who regret sleeping with someone and then fast forward a few days, weeks, months ,years, etc. They then go and claim they were raped, and guess what, the courts believe her over the actual victim, the person she regretted sleeping with. There are multiple cases of this happening, and I think false accuser's should have the same sentence that the male victim would face if he was prosecuted and incarcerated.

#13 TheBigMermaid

TheBigMermaid

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:27 PM (Edited by TheBigMermaid, 06 December 2018 - 03:28 PM.)

Except for the fact that there are women out there who will do just about anything to get someone in trouble simply because they're a man and they don't fit that womans ideals of a man, so they go out of their way to get this men to lose their jobs or being prosecuted and jailed. Theres also the fact that some women who regret sleeping with someone and then fast forward a few days, weeks, months ,years, etc. They then go and claim they were raped, and guess whqt, the courts believe her over the actual victim, the person she regretted sleeping with. There are multiple cases of this happening, and I think false accuser's should have the same sentence that the male victim would face if he was prosecuted and incarcerated.

Yes, I agree with the last part.

The fact remains that men clearly have too much power over hiring and economic status, to the point that they can exclude an entire gender. You're even gloating about it.

And as for rape and harassment. Most rape and harassment doesn't even get reported. By the time I got into high school, I had been harassed several times (not raped, thank god) and I have never reported it, knowing nothing gets done without proof. Most of my friends were the same and some had worse things done to them than me. Even if it's reported, most of the time, the attacker gets away with it anyway, because there's no proof and the woman gets attacked for the clothes she wore/being outside after dark/not being assertive enough/being too assertive when he approached. Or she gets painted as a liar or a crazy person. 

I've heard guys talk about how bad it is when someone gets falsely accused, but it's never happened to these same guys (while almost any woman I know has experienced some type of harassment). And some of those same guys never said a word about having a problem with harassment in the first place.

#14 thefacts

thefacts

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

What about not abusing and harassing women instead?

#15 Mingming 'Beto' Carlson

Mingming 'Beto' Carlson

Senior Idol

• Nice
  • 523 posts
  • LocationAt a Trump rally with Mingyu

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:20 PM (Edited by Mingming 'Beto' Carlson, 06 December 2018 - 07:20 PM.)

“If men avoid working or traveling with women alone, or stop mentoring women for fear of being accused of sexual harassment,” he said, “those men are going to back out of a sexual harassment complaint and right into a sex discrimination complaint.”

So if you go by the idea that men and women are equal and equally capable of getting the same things done, there'd be no merit in hiring a woman instead of a man because you'll just be inviting in an extra risk of sexual accusations drama. Guess we'll just have to have separate companies for men and women. Men bosses hire men and women bosses hire women. Gender segregation. A blast to the past! Sharia law time!! 

#16 Buttered Sone

Buttered Sone

Certified Soneroach

• Nice
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationDrinking with Yuri

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:09 PM

tiniest_violin.gif

Meanwhile women fear being actually attacked

Up, Up and Away!