Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ego ista

Question to Muslims

Do you have an equivalent to Christmas? Or something you celebrate during the winter season like Jewish people have Hanukkah and Christians have Christmas etc

Do y’all have anything?

Eid Celebrations.  one at the end of Ramadan and the other during Hajj week.  there are other events but Eids are the biggest.

some muslims in india and pakistan celebrate the Prophet's birthday, but overall most muslims dont.

Not really. 

We've got 2 Eids, sometimes one of them might coincidentally be during winter/christmas time

We also celebrate Ramadan. 

Those are our main 3 celebrations.  

Eid Celebrations.  one at the end of Ramadan and the other during Hajj week.

some muslims in india and pakistan celebrate the Prophet;s birthday, but overall most muslims dont.

Eid

What do you do for that?

We don't have our holidays on fixed dates and seasons like christians. The dates of our holidays change every year. For example eid el fitr ( a holiday that comes right after ramadhan) was on june 24 in 2017 but in 2018 it was on june 14 so yea the dates of islamic holidays change every year

Eid el fitr is a holiday to celebrate the end of fasting after the month of ramadhan. We eat different kinds of sweets to celebrate and we wear new clothes etc. Eid al adha or what I like to call the "too much meat day" lol is when we sacrifice animals like sheep and goats and bake sweets like maamoul.

What do you do for that?

Islamic calendar is a linear calendar, so Eid can it sometimes fall in winter depending on where people live.  Eid basically consists of waking up in the morning, going for important Eid prayers, eating good, meeting, traveling, charity work etc, it last for the 3 days.... at for the 1st Eid from what i can remember.

My 2 cents: muslims should celebrate Christmas like tbe rest of the world

Edited: to join the festivity that is

Why would dictate on Muslims what they should do?

Christmas is for Christians 

Many Muslims celebrate the new year too but not Christmas 

Muslim can celebrate and abstain from whatever they likerolleyes.gif , like everyone else. Besides  it would be really weird  for a Muslim to celebrate jesus's birthday when they don't even celebrate their Prophet's Birthdayhoplz.png . additionally if a muslim were celebrate christmas, it would be the orthodox christian christmas on the 7th January. imhappyplz.png

Why would dictate on Muslims what they should do?

Christmas is for Christians

Many Muslims celebrate the new year too but not Christmas

Thanks god i edited; so you can celebrate with us all

Muslim can celebrate and abstain from whatever they likerolleyes.gif , like everyone else. Besides it would be really weird for a Muslim to celebrate jesus's birthday when they don't even celebrate their Prophet's Birthdayhoplz.png . additionally if a muslim were celebrate christmas, it would be the orthodox christian christmas on the 7th January. imhappyplz.png

But like im atheus, i dont believe in jesus, but it has became more of a cultural event rather than teological

Well we celebrate the new year in Turkey too but you can't expect us to celebrate a Cristian holiday. Maybe you should fast like us too with your logic? And some people celebrate it for the Conquest of Mecca as the date is very close to it. (11 January)

I think he means participate in the exchange of gifts and the whole holiday and Santa business not because of Jesus

Many atheists celebrate it for the gifts not the religious aspects

Never mimd your arrogant assumption as if you have any right to tell Muslims what to do. "The rest of tje world?" Oh I guess Jews, Bhuddists, agnostics etc dont exist then.

Anyway, nowadays Christmas is less of a religious holiday and more of a cultural and economic cash cow. The "rest of the world" will join in and get dem Christhmas and Boxing Day sales, no need to worry!

The 2 Eids ( fitr and adha )  , the Prophet's birth ,  and the muslim new years . We exchange gifts , visit family , and have huge meals . 

I think he means participate in the exchange of gifts and the whole holiday and Santa business not because of Jesus

His/Her wording is not right tho. And on top of that Muslims actually celebrate the new year like the rest of the world. Btw I'm not a muslim but I'm living in a Muslim country. Every year we have HUGE celebrations, we exchange gifts in our homes, schools etc. But to call it like Muslims have to celebrate the Cristmas is not nice imo.

well Muslims exchange gifts all year around............ if you are atheist or secular, it's easier to celebrate things without much thought. but if you already have an established present religious ID then you tend to think about the boarder themes about what you celebrate. 

well Muslims exchange gifts all year around............ if you are atheist or secular, it's easier to celebrate things without much thought. but if you already have an established present religious ID then you tend to think about the boarder themes about what you celebrate.

Fair enough