Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue_Knight

Would You Date Someone Who's 'OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE'?

I've been dating this guy from work. He's smart (which is what attracted me to him in the first place). We have similar interests and he says he loves me. Even before we dated, I knew he was wealthy, but it wasn't obvious with the way he presents himself. I thought, maybe I could level with him somehow. That he's within my reach. But then last week, he invited me to a cafe. His family came with him. The moment I took a step inside, I knew I didn't belong there. I felt small. I come from a low-class family. My educational background isn't all that great compared to theirs (they all came from schools which you can consider as my country's version of Ivy League). He doesn't say it, but i knew his family didn't have much of a good impression of me (I'm asian and family opinions matter a whole damn lot when dating someone).

I'm starting to think dating him was a bad idea. I've never had a boyfriend before because I dismissed the idea of romantic relationships. There were guys in the past who showed interest in me, but I always thought my financial status would hinder from being in a relationship with someone.He's the only guy I ever really let this far and now I'm not sure anymore.

Should I... still give it a go?

Nothing wrong with you according to him apparently or he wouldn't be dating you. In the end you and he are the what matters. Other people including family are superfluous. Have confidence in yourself and the love you share.

Why your story reminds me of 'Crazy Rich Asians'

Ive never seen that movie and hes not THAT rich. Haha Hes more like, an upper-middle class person, if that exists? And Im the plebeian. I literally used to live in the slums until we moved earlier this year.

His family doesnt really know you yet so what they have rn is premature judgement. If you are confident in your relationship with him and he felt confident enough to present you to his parents i think you should keep on going and not limit yourself with things like this

Love traverses all boundaries. It shouldn't matter if you're different financially/academically/however. You might have to have some struggles (together) because of it, but it shouldn't matter if you really like each other.

definitely. dont downplay urself, only date up.

Only date up? You realise you're inadvertently saying that the guy is downplaying himself by dating her, right?

mate, if u like him he likes u there is no issue. Who cares about financial status and all that jazz. Caring about such things will just make u feel insecure and small which creates issues for ur relo 

Only date up? You realise you're inadvertently saying that the guy is downplaying himself by dating her, right?

Nope because she could have other qualities that are out of his league despite the fact that for the society he has an higher status

However I understand the struggle but it's a decision that you must take based on what you feel, not caring about all the fears

ive felt that way before in relationships and..id say just try to get rid of those thoughts. its no good to worry about whilst dating them n cn cause problems. from experience- if you worry too much it can just damn yourself. just give the relationship a go and if it doesnt work out, it just doesnt/.

Date him. The last guy I was involved in was a rich guy who was eight years older than me living in New York City while I was a 21 year old girl who was broke and living in boring ass South Jersey. Yeah we didn’t match but who cares