Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Do I-nets react differently to negative K-net and J-net comments?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Substation

Substation

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationAzeroth

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

So I came across this comment.

Its quite old that everytime there are harsh comments from the Japanese side yall excuse it away but when it comes from knetz it represents all koreans and Korea gets blamed as a whole. I wonder why it seem kpop fans hate Koreans so much.

https://onehallyu.co...pan/?p=28942518

Lately, I've seen similar comments multiple times and enough people seem to agree with this observation about the disparity. I haven't seen any clear explanation as to why though.

Do you agree with the comment, generally speaking? If so, what do you think are the reasons?

#2 Mingyu's Blue Hair

Mingyu's Blue Hair

Idol

• PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

I am always trying to defend/support the right side.

#3 cantnobody-

cantnobody-

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

ia with this statement.

i think it's because most people don't hear a lot of j-netz's reactions therefore they assume that they're calm and nothing is happening. most of people tend to treat japan and korea as complete opposites which is quite funny since korea and japan have pretty similar problems (sexism in work place, overworking, crazy pressure on young students, xenophobia etc.)

that being said we shouldn't judge a country based on internet comments in general. i guarantee there are gonna be awful, awful ones in every country

#4 Saint Rose

Saint Rose

ᴇ ɢ ☆ ɪ s ᴛ

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:21 PM (Edited by Saint Rose, 08 November 2018 - 03:26 PM.)

clearly

look at the reactions here on the first page vs my thread

https://onehallyu.co...aku-uta-gassen/

The top voted has 300+ from nate but people were bent out of shape over this than the gc comments that had 2000+

both were out of pocket and wrong in their own way and both needed to be dragged

#5 Nero_Kpop

Nero_Kpop

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

Japanese nationalists are just basic xenophobes, Korean nationalists are a mix of arrogance, delusion, victimization... the nice cocktail to bash. If you listen to them japanese should worship their idols spend money and be grateful for it because they don't deserve them

#6 Solana

Solana

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

Yes.

#7 SM's Kunta Kinte Silence

SM's Kunta Kinte Silence

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Location私の部屋です.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Ofc. I notice too for Kpop fans many seem to villainize Koreans at the drop of a hat while glofify and excuse anything Japanese.

When in reality both can be just a sbadbad as each other.

If you ask me though Ifans are also hugely toxic, so welp.

People in general are toxic.

#8 SaMoMi

SaMoMi

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

Yep they do. I-kpop fans cry over knetz calling thier faves overrated or untalented or not liking a song and other dumb shit and bitch about how "korea doesn't deserve thier idols", but they excuse literally violent comments towards koreans by hardcore GC and 2chan racists that basically wished Koreans were killed and other disgusting shit.

#9 Franny

Franny

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationBlue Side

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:43 PM (Edited by Franny, 08 November 2018 - 03:45 PM.)

Agreed. People give pass J-netz hate as If it is more legitimate.

That being said, some also seem to think that It's only Korea who has anti-Japanese sentiments and it's only Korean side hating Japanese side but not other way around.

I think It's more because we are exposed to more Korean news and events than to Japanese. We have more understanding of Korea's situation than Japan's. So people are more critical of it.

Also, I don't think there is the right side when it comes to knetz or jnetz. They are equally harsh, negative and hateful. They seem to me as reactionary forces. We have seen how far they can go. Girls Channel, Pann or other sites bring out the worst out of the worst, but doesn't mean that they represent the whole country.

Speaking of i-fans, I think most people have a general idea of Japan-Korea history and relations, but not enough to play judges role. It's hard to understand and relate to country's culture and history that you have not been part of. You just look it from general standpoint, as a detached observer (not as a participant observer), while people part of the culture are looking it with their own culture's standpoint. By that I don't mean that those who are participants are always right or detached observers don't have the right to judge or speak, but it's hard to understand people who belong cultures different from yours (no matter how much you're exposed to it online) because you haven't experienced what they have and you haven't been where they have been and you don't understand their national identity not country's narrative. I-fans are generally superficial and act like they know more and better. 

#10 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

ia with this statement.

i think it's because most people don't hear a lot of j-netz's reactions therefore they assume that they're calm and nothing is happening. most of people tend to treat japan and korea as complete opposites which is quite funny since korea and japan have pretty similar problems (sexism in work place, overworking, crazy pressure on young students, xenophobia etc.)

that being said we shouldn't judge a country based on internet comments in general. i guarantee there are gonna be awful, awful ones in every country

plus Japan is actually even more worse with the xenophobia than South Korea. For example, a majority of landlords in Japan refuse to rent out apartments to foreigners unless they have a Japanese guarantor vouching for them, and even then some still refuse to rent out to foreigners. https://resources.re...justice-survey/ Meanwhile getting an apartment in South Korea is easy as long as you can speak and read fluent Korean and your application is not turned away just because you're not Korean whereas most Japanese landlords will reject you if you're not Japanese. There are even some businesses and restaurants in Japan that will turn you away if you're not Japanese and have "Japanese only signs" (which I assume also applies to the Zainichi population there).

#11 loonatrash

loonatrash

이달의 소녀 ❤️ 워너원

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,714 posts
  • LocationSupporting 아이즈원 (IZONE)

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

This is why I lose my faith in humanity every time

#12 Tempo~~

Tempo~~

Idol

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

True

#13 Hyedes

Hyedes

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Location"That Bangtan reign just won't let up~". BTS & ARMY STAY WINNING!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:00 PM (Edited by Hyedes, 08 November 2018 - 06:00 PM.)

Yes. Intl kpop fans hype of the "Korean gp!!!!", "melon!!!", "public rec!!!, "national hits!!!" all while shitting all over Koreans/knetz.

#14 Buttered Sone

Buttered Sone

Certified Soneroach

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • LocationSeollenda me likey

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

I disagree especially in context of that particular comment. Ifans aren't anymore likely to agree with the same sentiment from jnetz more than knetz, for that article in particular anyone applauding it is doing so just to spite BTS. If knetz and jnetz were to post the exact same comments there wouldn't be preference for the jnetz.

#15 valeriekmy96

valeriekmy96

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:55 AM

Netz in general are toxic, but try to compare between the comments under nate saying idols are ugly/fat/old and those under 2chan and GC wishing death upon koreans and defending blackface. At least nate users could recognize how problematic blackface is.

#16 Tigermaru

Tigermaru

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:10 AM (Edited by Tigermaru, 09 November 2018 - 05:13 AM.)

First, you might need to check whether the users generalizing Korean from the Knetz' comments are the same users who dismissed the generalization of Japanese from their Jnetz' comments. Second, I do notice that there are users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Japan rather than Korea. Although, similarly there are also users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Korea rather than Japan. (Note: There are also users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Western perspective rather than Korea's or Japan's). Third, from my experience, fans of JPop artists (JE in particular) don't provide any translation platforms nor really pay much attention on Jnetz' negative comments. We know there are Jnetz that run their mouth out on the artists or any issue they have. We know there are nothing we can do to change their opinions when they are already set on one opinion. So why waste the time, effort, and emotion to provide these haters more platforms by translating or responding to their comments? It is different when the Jnetz' comments are already translated and shared here because then international visitors to this site can build up an opinion or sense of knowing something based on the selective information. And as this forum is majorly a KPop forum, I believe there are users that try to provide a kind of balance from the Japan sides when the information shared is too biased on one side or are not true according to their knowledge. Fortunately there are also users that try to provide a kind of balance from the Korean side when the information shared is too biased on one side or not true according to their knowledge.

tldr: I do hope international netizens in this forum do not based their whole judgment on Korea or Japan solely from the translated comments of Korean netizens and Japan netizens in this site.

#17 Substation

Substation

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationAzeroth

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for the replies. I see some interesting comments.

ia with this statement.

It's true J-nets aren't as much exposed as K-nets to I-nets. The level of exposure is not even comparable. For K-net side, there is a whole array of blogs. I can't even name them all. For J-nets, I think there are only a couple of translation blogs that have some traffic? The site traffic is also incomparable. NB alone gets a huge number of comments everyday. Sometimes in the scale of 1,000+ if one of the articles is very controversial. It is not a mere blog any more. It's functioning like a media outlet because many users seem to treat it like one. Now the major problem arises. Most I-nets who cannot speak Korean or Japanese fluently (to even understand all kinds of slang and internet meme words) have to depend on what those translation blogs choose to feed them. K-net blogs are not too shy about showing any shit from K-nets towards Japan but for J-nets, only Ping Japan seems to have done something in this direction. I saw this I-net claiming many J-nets are salty about K-pop idols only because of the recent BTS controversy and stuff. Kid, why do you even talk about what you have absolutely no idea about? Anonymous J-nets have been like that for DECADES...

As for the last line in your comment, it would be very interesting if the table was turned around. Many I-nets who act superior are also from different parts of Asia. Since the spotlight is not on them, they enjoy being in the position of an observer who can easily act superior. Now only if there are multiple popular blogs that focus on translating their internet and all their BS in English everyday, they will be the first ones who get annoyed by constant generalizations based on their netizen comments. smile.png

Agreed. People give pass J-netz hate as If it is more legitimate.

That being said, some also seem to think that It's only Korea who has anti-Japanese sentiments and it's only Korean side hating Japanese side but not other way around.

I think It's more because we are exposed to more Korean news and events than to Japanese. We have more understanding of Korea's situation than Japan's. So people are more critical of it.

Also, I don't think there is the right side when it comes to knetz or jnetz. They are equally harsh, negative and hateful. They seem to me as reactionary forces. We have seen how far they can go. Girls Channel, Pann or other sites bring out the worst out of the worst, but doesn't mean that they represent the whole country.

Speaking of i-fans, I think most people have a general idea of Japan-Korea history and relations, but not enough to play judges role. It's hard to understand and relate to country's culture and history that you have not been part of. You just look it from general standpoint, as a detached observer (not as a participant observer), while people part of the culture are looking it with their own culture's standpoint. By that I don't mean that those who are participants are always right or detached observers don't have the right to judge or speak, but it's hard to understand people who belong cultures different from yours (no matter how much you're exposed to it online) because you haven't experienced what they have and you haven't been where they have been and you don't understand their national identity not country's narrative. I-fans are generally superficial and act like they know more and better.

Everyone is bound to have their own cultural lens. We should at least try to know the context properly. One of the main problems with most translation blogs apart from frequent translation mistakes (looking at you, Pann Choa) is that they are usually lazy with providing the full context. If you want to butt in other people's conversation, you are supposed to know what's been going on, not just the last few words you overheard. Especially between K-nets and J-nets, there has been so much bad blood for a long long time. It's like you only overhear some angry words from K-nets and then act like some morally superior judge while turning a blind eye to the other half of the feud.

First, you might need to check whether the users generalizing Korean from the Knetz' comments are the same users who dismissed the generalization of Japanese from their Jnetz' comments. Second, I do notice that there are users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Japan rather than Korea. Although, similarly there are also users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Korea rather than Japan. (Note: There are also users that hold this sense of superiority by siding on Western perspective rather than Korea's or Japan's). Third, from my experience, fans of JPop artists (JE in particular) don't provide any translation platforms nor really pay much attention on Jnetz' negative comments. We know there are Jnetz that run their mouth out on the artists or any issue they have. We know there are nothing we can do to change their opinions when they are already set on one opinion. So why waste the time, effort, and emotion to provide these haters more platforms by translating or responding to their comments? It is different when the Jnetz' comments are already translated and shared here because then international visitors to this site can build up an opinion or sense of knowing something based on the selective information. And as this forum is majorly a KPop forum, I believe there are users that try to provide a kind of balance from the Japan sides when the information shared is too biased on one side or are not true according to their knowledge. Fortunately there are also users that try to provide a kind of balance from the Korean side when the information shared is too biased on one side or not true according to their knowledge.
tldr: I do hope international netizens in this forum do not based their whole judgment on Korea or Japan solely from the translated comments of Korean netizens and Japan netizens in this site.

I think the whole sentiment about the disparity gained traction precisely because there is an enough number of regular Korea-bashers who side with Japan and claim J-nets aren't as bad. There is this constant effort by certain I-net demographics who try to make something Japanese including even their netizens appear to be better. It's like there is a very strong pre-existing pro-Japanese bias that has been built up while they were growing up. They seem to back down and go silent only with bombardment of receipts that expose a large number of J-net BS.

As for your third point, why do you think J-pop fans are more chill about this whole netizen BS whereas it is such a central obsession for many international K-pop fans? What makes this difference?

#18 Sdm

Sdm

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

Yes. People here wrongly make japanese netizens/public out to be the more tolerant bunch when some of the comments I've read suggests the opposite. Honestly they seem far more vicious. But Ifans will dismiss them cause apparently those 2-3 sites like girls channel, yahoo japan etc shouldn't be taken seriously. But nate comments with  a measly amount of upvotes totally should. Honestly feel like some ifans are just stupid and don't even realize their hypocrisy cause they're so busy trying to look superior compared to Koreans.

#19 Xia Chen

Xia Chen

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi OST.1 track-.19. 秘めた想い - YouTube ht

• PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationTokyo Ravens

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:38 AM (Edited by Xia Chen, 09 November 2018 - 11:47 AM.)

#20 MVSica

MVSica

♡WJ PLEASE???♡

• PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

I equally ignore both. They're just comments from random internet people, why should I care? I value Youtube comments slightly more lmaaao. Which is to say, very little.

Up, Up and Away!