Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dear non-white people, do you get judged for not talking "white" enough or for talking "too white"?

Did you have to change the way you speak for acceptance? Do you code-switch?

Do you feel like you're regarded as less trustworthy when you speak with an accent that's different from the "most common one"?

I feel like some Asian-Americans and Spanish-speaking Americans etc speak another language at home so that may influence how they speak English. Or they speak English with their parents... and their parents' accent influenced theirs. Also for African Americans there's AAVE and whatnot.

I'm Asian-American and I often get told I sound "white". And I don't speak English at home. Not sure what that means tbh.

I get told by my parents that i sound like a basic white girl sometimes when i speak english but idk i am far from basic and white 

I'm black and when I was in junior high and high school a lot of the other black students talked crap about me because of "talking white". And people liked to call me Oreo. Now that I'm no longer in school I don't have to deal with that crap anymore, and no one says anything about how I talk.

There's not really any "black slang" in my country but I get made fun of by my friends for being too white in other ways lol like the music I listen to, and how I dress.

for caribbean people I can tell you yes...they have to try to change their accent...cocoinjapan did a video on it tbh

is this an U.S thing ? because I never heard about "talking white" ( whatever this means). 

I'm Black but I was born in Europe so I never got the "you sound white" comment from people. I do speak differently when I'm with my Black friends but it's not because of acceptance, it kinda just happens

I've been called whitewashed before wthplz.png I also hate when customers are saying racist things to me on the phone about my co-workers or my culture and they don't realize I'm also Asian. 

British Asian, born in Britain, I have a British accent without my parents Asian influences when I speak English, so I have gotten called a coconut a few times by fellow Brit Asians with shitty accents. I don’t change how I speak, why should I, just because they were too dumb to speak properly.

I got a rash of crap in high school because I didn't have the expected accent. Then again, I was a punk rock listening, Jeep driving Latino in a school where being "street" was the thing to do so I didn't fit in. Once I got out of high school and into college, I never really heard about my lack of an accent afterwards.

Did you have to change the way you speak for acceptance? Do you code-switch?

Do you feel like you're regarded as less trustworthy when you speak with an accent that's different from the "most common one"?

I feel like some Asian-Americans and Spanish-speaking Americans etc speak another language at home so that may influence how they speak English. Or they speak English with their parents... and their parents' accent influenced theirs. Also for African Americans there's AAVE and whatnot.

I'm Asian-American and I often get told I sound "white". And I don't speak English at home. Not sure what that means tbh.

Speaking a second language doesn't (significantly) impact your first language. I'm white but always spoke Russian at home with my parents, and my English sounds 100% General American. You being non-white shouldn't make any difference in your English if most of your English speaking peers speak General American.

Yeah, I get roasted by my family for my polite or formal voice. ( which does sound very " white " as they say )

I left Jamaica a long time ago but I'm told that I still have an accent. I try not to speak as country as I do with family when I'm around people and try to speak properly as I was taught in Jamaica but then I get told I sound British-ish.

Either way, Americans eat up Caribbean accents so I'm always either told "Omg I love your accent" or "I can't understand you" lol.

Yeah, I get roasted by my family for my polite or formal voice. ( which does sound very " white " as they say )

^ same

and on the flip side, i've had older white people say to me "you speak so well" and then ask me about my accent and where i am from... 

my family forced me to talk white at home (every time i codeswitch or used informal language, i'd be punished) meanwhile i got bullied in school for talking too white.............by the kids who could barely speak their native tongues lmfao

Nope, my accent tends to change depending on who I'm with, people of the same race never took issue with this.

btw, I'm Indigenous Australian

when you get a business call and you automatically hit the white guy/girl voice

freaking conditioning lol

Nope. I'm just criticized by my parents for not speaking their language.

I think maybe I have a slight southern accent when talking, sometimes not. It depends. On occasion I might say something that sounds really country. I'm Asian American. My "trustworthiness" is not depended on my English, but rather my face, I think.

Legit had some old man(I think he was European? idk) with a heavy accent say I don't understand English, when I couldn't understand what the fuck he was saying.

I've never heard of Asian Americans being told they sound white before.

Yes, I used to be called as albinism patient :v but now, I'm living with a roomate who has a fairer complexion than me, so I'm not called by that absurd nickname anymore.

Unfortunately, yes...

I've been told my whole life that I "talk and act white". Even when I meet people, they say things like "you don't act/talk like everyone else in your race" idontthinksobetchplz.png It used to make me feel really insecure about myself, but I don't really care anymore. I just talk the way I talk.