Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Riserise

Official Figure Skating Thread

Yuzuru Badge isn't happening, I'm sorry 😞. Sport stars are not accepted for badges, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, EyesOn said:

What's your thoughts on today's GP? Kostornaia beat Zagitova in Ladies' competition, Nathan won as expected. Feel bad for Shoma, it wasn't his best day today...

When Kostornaia started throwing out 3A's at Finlandia, the conversation went from close call between them probably, to Kostornaia being the clear front runner. And she delivered.

She was very strong; high tech content, skating skills and enjoyment of the program. Alena has is all.

Too bad about Shoma. He seems a bit unsure when it comes to coaches etc, so perhaps he'll be on the upswing again when he is more settled at some point.

Nathan winning was nice. I like him, and I don't mind his costumes as some people do. What did you like most about the competition?

Edited by Riserise

Zhenya missing out on GPF sucks but I'm so happy she skated two clean programs!

She's working on her 4S so looking forward to seeing that in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennaayy said:

Yes, really hope she lands that. It would just level her up enough to become a candidate for World spots again.

I loved both her programs and made her FP Skate of the Week in the OP.

And that big fan in the end🤣

• LOL 1

14 hours ago, jennaayy said:

I didn't know Zhenya was training quads but realistically speaking idk if girls with woman's body can land quads consistently. Probably Trusova and Shcherbakova won't be able either when they reach puberty.

8 hours ago, Gene_e said:

I didn't know Zhenya was training quads but realistically speaking idk if girls with woman's body can land quads consistently. Probably Trusova and Shcherbakova won't be able either when they reach puberty.

Yes, I heard she's been training them, as well.

We don't know really what will happen, since this is the first quad wave. I hope they'll only get better.

3 hours ago, Riserise said:

Yes, I heard she's been training them, as well.

We don't know really what will happen, since this is the first quad wave. I hope they'll only get better.

Well, women have been trying quads since Surya Bonaly. I feel like the 3A is more realistic.

Zagitova didn't fare too well at NHK today. She messed up her combo but still got the highest PCS (lol).

Kostornaia though 😍

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:42 PM, Gene_e said:

Well, women have been trying quads since Surya Bonaly. I feel like the 3A is more realistic.

This is the first time when several women are landing them in competition, and a few more landed them in practice. People were saying Alexandra would not be able to do her one still underrotated quad salchow for more than a year in 2017 already. We're nearing 2020 now and she has a four quad program, so let's see first.

Surya's era is not comparable, as she never landed it in competition and she was the only one. It also took the men quite a while to have a field where several of them landed quads. Still in 2010 a man won the Olympics without one.

Looking forward to see how Rika does tomorrow, as she is planning one as well.

Just now, jennaayy said:

Zagitova didn't fare too well at NHK today. She messed up her combo but still got the highest PCS (lol).

Kostornaia though 😍

It deserves a link 😄 :

I really liked her program last year, and the 3A takes it to a new level. Deserved leader.

If she wins this, Eteri's skaters will have won every Grand Prix this year. I don't think that has ever happened to a coach in any discipline?

Edited by Riserise

55 minutes ago, Riserise said:

This is the first time when several women are landing them in competition, and a few more landed them in practice. People were saying Alexandra would not be able to do her one still underrotated quad salchow for more than a year in 2017 already. We're nearing 2020 now and she has a four quad program, so let's see first.

Surya's era is not comparable, as she never landed it in competition and she was the only one. It also took the men quite a while to have a field where several of them landed quads. Only in 2010 a man still won the Olympics without one.

Looking forward to see how Rika does tomorrow, as she is planning one as well.

It deserves a link 😄 :

Yes, it's still underrotated as most of these jumps specially Anna's are not full rotated and the judges are starting to notice not to mention the prerotation and wrong edges. Also, they can't keep doing those jumps for many seasons or they will be injuried like Tursynbayeva. Idk I think there is a reason why we only see juniors or girls with juniors body do it. I think it's a trend and good for the sport because it attracks casual viewers but still think it's not realistic. People also thought that a 3A for girls would be the norm when Midori and Tonya began to land them regularly and decades later still isn't. 

Kostornaia is the best of the Eteri girls. So graceful!

Edited by Gene_e

On 11/22/2019 at 9:31 PM, Gene_e said:

Yes, it's still underrotated as most of these jumps specially Anna's are not full rotated and the judges are starting to notice not to mention the prerotation and wrong edges. Also, they can't keep doing those jumps for many seasons or they will be injuried like Tursynbayeva. Idk I think there is a reason why we only see juniors or girls with juniors body do it. I think it's a trend and good for the sport because it attracks casual viewers but still think it's not realistic. People also thought that a 3A for girls would be the norm when Midori and Tonya began to land them regularly and decades later still isn't. 

Kostornaia is the best of the Eteri girls. So graceful!

It's no longer just juniors doing them. Apart from Tursynbaeva, Trusova and Shcherbakova are seniors now as well.

There is no proof that women can't keep doing the quad. This is the first wave of several ladies doing them and they've already done it beyond expactations of some people who thought Trusova was an anomaly or they would not be able to do them after 1 year. Trusova is still doing them and improving all the time, for instance, and the generations behind her are gearing up to challenge her in the coming years.  Let's first see careers develop before stating they will not be able to jump them in the future. People have been wrong about that before.

As for injuries, there are many figure skaters who have been injured who never jumped a quad, so Tursynbaeva's injuries are not necessarily due to that.

It's true that 3A didn't become common in the nineties for ladies, but it's not that uncommon anymore now.  I think it's fun to see how jumps that were once thought impossible for ladies or in general are now being tried and landed by more and more skaters.

And yeah, Kostornaia is a wonder on ice :)

Edited by Riserise

2 hours ago, Riserise said:

It's no longer just juniors doing them. Apart from Tursynbaeva, Trusova and Shcherbakova are seniors now as well.

There is no proof that women can't keep doing the quad. This is the first wave of several ladies doing them and they've already done it beyond expactations of some people who thought Trusova was an anomaly or they would not be able to do them after 1 year. Trusova is still doing them and improving all the time, for instance, and the generations behind her are gearing up to challenge her in the coming years.  Let's first see careers develop before stating they will not be able to jump them in the future. People have been wrong about that before.

As for injuries, there are many figure skaters who have been injured who never jumped a quad, so Tursynbaeva's injuries are not necessarily due to that.

It's true that 3A didn't become common in the nineties for ladies, but it's not that uncommon anymore now.  I think it's fun to see how jumps that were once thought impossible for ladies or in general are now being tried and landed by more and more skaters.

And yeah, Kostornaia is a wonder on ice :)

Idk I'm not following the russian juniors these days to know if they are training quads, I say russians because I don't think the rest are doing quads yet but that three Eteri girls even though they are seniors now they still have the body of juniors.

True, there is no proof that they can't but there is no proof that they can either, we have to wait and see. When I see one of them with the body of a senior landing quads regularly then, I will think it's possible. I would love to see them developing their careers but most likely they will retire young that's how the russian system works with a few exceptions

Yeah, it's common but from what I read her hip injury is due to train the quad too much.

We see the 3A more in ladies these days but still it's not the norm. But look at Rika she has an injury and because of that she can't do the lutz, she is still young and I hope she can get it back but the same thing happened with Mao back in the day. And now they are pushing her to do a quad...

Don't get me wrong I think it's exciting to see the ladies trying new challenges but I see so often talented skaters burn out too young. It's just that I don't like the pressure that the federations and media are putting on them.

Edited by Gene_e

Just now, Gene_e said:

Idk I'm not following the russian juniors these days to know if they are training quads, I say russians because I don't think the rest are doing quads yet but that three Eteri girls even though they are seniors now they still have the body of juniors.

True, there is no proof that they can't but there is no proof that they can either, we have to wait and see. When I see one of them with the body of a senior landing quads regularly then, I will think it's possible. I would love to see them developing their careers but most likely they will retire young that's how the russian system works with a few exceptions

Yeah, it's common but from what I read her hip injury is due to train the quad too much.

We see the 3A more in ladies these days but still it's not the norm. But look at Rika she has an injury and because of that she can't do the lutz, she is still young and I hope she can get it back but the same thing happened with Mao back in the day. And now they are pushing her to do a quad...

Don't get me wrong I think it's exciting to see the ladies trying new challenges but I see so often talented skaters burn out too young. It's just that I don't like the pressure that the federations and media are putting on them.

Yes, there are Russian juniors who are training the quad. Kamila Valieva has landed them in competition as well. If you like Alena Kostornaia's skating, you might want to check out her programs.

It's not just Russians anymore. The American Alysa Liu has a program with a quad and triple axel. I agree that there is a lot of pressure on her already. She won Nationals last year and will be eligible for the Beijing Olympics. The way some American media have hyped her must be stressful for someone that young, as she only just started as a junior.

Is Rika pressured to do the quad by anyone? Could be or she could just want to do it herself. Alexandra, for instance, is known to have to be told to take it easy by her coaches sometimes as she would love to practice quads all the time. Like you, I hope that all of them will be healthy.

Russia has so many good skaters that lots won't be getting world spots. There's more room on the Grand Prix for them. Even Alena Leonova still got a spot last season. It all depends on if skaters want to continue even if they are no longer getting world medals as before. Some do, and some retire or just want to focus on their studies. That doesn't just happen in Russia, of course. A star like Kaetlyn Osmond is 23 and has retired as well, even though she has little competition for world spots in Canada.

Just dropping the NHK gala here as well.

48 minutes ago, Riserise said:

Yes, there are Russian juniors who are training the quad. Kamila Valieva has landed them in competition as well. If you like Alena Kostornaia's skating, you might want to check out her programs.

It's not just Russians anymore. The American Alysa Liu has a program with a quad and triple axel. I agree that there is a lot of pressure on her already. She won Nationals last year and will be eligible for the Beijing Olympics. The way some American media have hyped her must be stressful for someone that young, as she only just started as a junior.

Is Rika pressured to do the quad by anyone? Could be or she could just want to do it herself. Alexandra, for instance, is known to have to be told to take it easy by her coaches sometimes as she would love to practice quads all the time. Like you, I hope that all of them will be healthy.

Russia has so many good skaters that lots won't be getting world spots. There's more room on the Grand Prix for them. Even Alena Leonova still got a spot last season. It all depends on if skaters want to continue even if they are no longer getting world medals as before. Some do, and some retire or just want to focus on their studies. That doesn't just happen in Russia, of course. A star like Kaetlyn Osmond is 23 and has retired as well, even though she has little competition for world spots in Canada.

Just dropping the NHK gala here as well.

I would check Valieva then, thanks! 

Yes, I know about Liu but is she actually able to skate that program regularly? Her quad lutz is clearly underrotated. It sounds to me like they are putting pressure on her as you say and I don't like it. She is a child!

Rika is pressured by the federation ofc and the japanese media. They are crazy about those things, they ask her about it in every interview. It's what happened with Mao all over again, and she had to move to the US because she couldn't handle it. 

Yeah, I'm not ready for the drama that russian nationals are going to be. I would love to see the russians skate until 23 lol they will retire sooner. Except Liza who is a fighter! I just don't want to see another Lipnitskaya case, they put so much pressure on them when they reach puberty...

Thanks for the link!

Edit: sorry! I added some things

Edited by Gene_e

Just now, Gene_e said:

I would check Valieva then, thanks! 

Yes, I know about Liu but is she actually able to skate that program regularly? It sounds to me like they are putting pressure on her as you say and I don't like it.

Rika is pressured by the federation ofc and the japanese media. They are crazy about those things, they ask her about it in every interview. It's what happened with Mao all over again, and she had to move to the US because she couldn't handle it. 

Yeah, I'm not ready for the drama that russian nationals are going to be. I would love to see the russians skate until 23 lol they will retire sooner. Except Liza who is a fighter!

Thanks for the link!

No problem. It's going to be quite a battle between her and Liu. Not sure about Liu's consitency as a junior yet. Wonder what will happen at the JGPF.

Talking with you, I realized that both situations have their benefits and disadvantages. If you're Russian, you need to constantly up your game to be able to get world spots. If you're not Russian (or Japanese to an extent) there is a little more room for spots and you won't get pushed out if you pop one jump at Nationals. However, if you show that you can do big elements, all the pressure is on you to learn lots of them and land them well, like with Kihira and Liu. If Trusova has issues at worlds, there is still a Kostornaia or a Shcherbakova (or perhaps Zagitova or Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva) to still score high. Not all the hopes of the country are on one.

Am looking forward to see what You Young will bring. She has the potential to medal at worlds and she won't have to fight for a spot probably.

Alena Leonova hasn't retired yet and she is 29, please don't forget about the pirate-lady🤣

As for the gala, Yuzuru did his signatory "Thank you!" at the end and his head went in that television (?). Was Zagitova doing a cantilever? Must be the Trusova influence, haha.

Edited by Riserise

15 minutes ago, Riserise said:

No problem. It's going to be quite a battle between her and Liu. Not sure about Liu's consitency as a junior yet. Wonder what will happen at the JGPF.

Talking with you, I realized that both situations have their benefits and disadvantages. If you're Russian, you need to constantly up your game to be able to get world spots. If you're not Russian (or Japanese to an extent) there is a little more room for spots and you won't get pushed out if you pop one jump at Nationals. However, if you show that you can do big elements, all the pressure is on you to learn lots of them and land them well, like with Kihira and Liu. If Trusova has issues at worlds, there is still a Kostornaia or a Shcherbakova (or perhaps Zagitova or Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva) to still score high. Not all the hopes of the country are on one.

Am looking forward to see what You Young will bring. She has the potential to medal at worlds and she won't have to fight for a spot probably.

Alena Leonova hasn't retired yet and she is 29, please don't forget about the pirate-lady🤣

As for the gala, Yuzuru did his signatory "Thank you!" at the end and his head went in that television (?). Was Zagitova doing a cantilever? Must be the Trusova influence, haha.

Yes, its a tricky situation. I just feel bad for them they are moved to senior at such a young age! At least boys have a little more time to develop.

You Young is such a nice surprise! I don't remember how many spots has Korea for the worlds but you are probably right.

True, Alena is a fighter too. She definitely deserves credit.

I'm watching the gala now and omg I love Koshiro's exhibition program lol!

• Like 1

Liza jumping quad now. May she be a great inspiration to all the ladies who think they might not be able to do it if they haven't learned it from their teens. I hope Zhenya is next.

Just now, melancholic autumn said:

I'm so happy for Yuzu! He finally broke his 2-year NHK curse. 

Me too! He'll finally be in GPF again as well.

If he wins this, I think it's a record for amounts of time winning it? He still has a tough battle ahead, especially with Nathan there.

Edited by Riserise
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, Riserise said:

Liza jumping quad now. May she be a great inspiration to all the ladies who think they might not be able to do it if they haven't learned it from their teens. I hope Zhenya is next.

Me too! He'll finally be in GPF again as well.

If he wins this, I think it's a record for amounts of time winning it? He still has a tough battle ahead, especially with Nathan there.

This is so impressive. I didn't think an "older" female skater with a more developed body would be able to do it but this is so cool to see. I hope she lands it in competition!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:21 AM, jennaayy said:

This is so impressive. I didn't think an "older" female skater with a more developed body would be able to do it but this is so cool to see. I hope she lands it in competition!

Me too :)

It's Grand Prix Final weekend, finally 😄

HE DID IT. HE ACTUALLY WENT AND ATTEMPTED (AND ACHIEVED) A FULLY ROTATED(?) 4A DURING GPF PRACTICE (although he ended up landing on his ass lol)

But Yuzu pls you're stressing us fans out, we don't need you getting another potential injury especially right before your free skate

Also happy 25th bday to him!

Edited by melancholic autumn
  • Like 1

Just now, melancholic autumn said:

HE DID IT. HE ACTUALLY WENT AND ATTEMPTED (AND ACHIEVED) A FULLY ROTATED(?) 4A DURING GPF PRACTICE (although he ended up landing on his ass lol)

But Yuzu pls you're stressing us fans out, we don't need you getting another potential injury especially right before your free skate

Also happy 25th bday to him!

Despite the fall, it looks amazing.

and if he shows it off in open practice like this, he has probably landed it before/

Edited by Riserise

I'm sad that Yuzu didn't place gold but he did his best and that's all that matters

The attitude of some Fanyus though...I haven't actually seen the comments myself but on r/figureskating there are fans saying not to go on sites like Twitter or read Youtube comments because of how nasty they are towards Nathan. Like sure Nathan's score is overinflated but even Yuzu can acknowledge that Nathan deserve the win over him. He also said himself at the presscon that Nathan is his motivation for continuing to skate (aside from his dream of achieving the 4A) because Nathan makes him strive to do better and improve. Yuzu is actually glad that there is finally someone who inspires him to push beyond his limits and it's sad and disappointing that some Fanyus are acting that way towards Nathan. 

That said, I wish Nathan would get a new costume designer already. I have trouble watching his skating because his costumes throw me off and it's hard to focus on the skating when your mind is like "that shirt is hideous"

Rusfed and USFS are having a competition to see who can suck more liver-spotted ISU dick.