Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Riserise

Official Figure Skating Thread

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can discuss figure skating.

Both the Olympics and the anime Yuri!!! on Ice have brought more fans to the sport. There's also the Olympic silver medalist Evgenia Medvedeva, who made news in South Korea with her love for EXO. She was so excited meeting the band.

Skate of the Week

Alexandra Trusova

(suggestions for Skate of the Week are welcome)

Worlds

Winners

Ladies: Alina Zagitova (RUS)

Men: Nathan Chen (USA)

Ice Dance: Gabrielle Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron (FRA)

Pairs: Wenjing Sui/Cong Han (CHN)

Meet the skaters

Here are some of the skaters being their funny selves

Handy Links

ISU: official website of the International Skating Union

So you want to watch Figure Skating: Website with lots of information

Youtube Junior Grand Prix: they live stream the Junior Grand Prix and also have all the old videos.

The Shibsibs: The Shibutani Siblings who won bronze at the Olympics, show their fun behind the scenes vlogs.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Twitter: The 2015 World Champion is really funny.

Anything GOEs: Here you can form a team of skaters to play the Grand Prix with. It's explained on the website.

If anyone from a smaller country is interested in skaters from their countries, but don't know where to look, let me know. I can probably find them if your country has a federation (and there are more of those than you might think smile.png ).

If there is anything you would like me to add to the OP, let me know.

Edited by Riserise
  • Like 2

Here to start I guess laugh.png

I’m a big fan of Yuzuru Hanyu, though I haven’t really been keeping up lately warstarplz.png

I will loosely follow the results of this year’s Grand Prix assignments and the final as well as World’s but probably not live stream it like last year (which btw almost gave me a heart attack) and will not follow as vigourasly like from 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons due to school and other interests. I still hope all the figure skaters stay healthy and happy lovestruck.png

• Like 1

Here to start I guess laugh.png

I’m a big fan of Yuzuru Hanyu, though I haven’t really been keeping up lately warstarplz.png

I will loosely follow the results of this year’s Grand Prix assignments and the final as well as World’s but probably not live stream it like last year (which btw almost gave me a heart attack) and will not follow as vigourasly like from 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons due to school and other interests. I still hope all the figure skaters stay healthy and happy lovestruck.png

I'm not sure what moment gave you a heart attack, as quite a few things could have caused it. Since you're a Hanyu fan, I assume it was at the NHK Trophy?

This is great I haven't been keeping track but live for Hanyu and ice dancing. *wipes tear for no longer getting to see Virtue/Moir on ice* Worry about Chen and all the men with this push for Quad Axel - like @RiseRise noted, I want them to be healthy artists, and with backbreaking and the other insane injuries this race causes it's a bit concerning.

• Like 1

I've been trying to get into figure skating for ages but it's hard for me. It's a beautiful sport that I enjoy watching but which have no visibility where I live so it's hard for me to find things about it (like rules, important figure skaters, where to watch it and when etc...). I mean, it's not like football of rugby which are accessible sports.

I'll probably lurk here often ~ so maybe one day I'll know things about figure skating and I'll call myself a fan hehe.

• Like 1

Ice skating is one of the most graceful, emotional and impressive sports.

Brian Orser is my favorite coach, he's trained some of the best skaters of the last 10 years. His current student roster is amazing! Cha Jun-hwan, I'm watching you, you can make it bb chuplz.png

Some of my favorite skaters and their performances:

Yuna Kim, the queen (FS Olympics 2014)

Carolina Kostner, age truly doesnt matter (SP Worlds 2018)

Shen and Zhao, partners on the ice and for life <3 (

)

Javier Fernandez, proving that dreams do come true (

)

Davis and White, in-real-life Disney prince and princess (OD Olympics 2010 and

)

... and Yuzuru Hanyu, the reigning king of ice, biggest skater in history (

)

I'm a bit of a skating nerd, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask ilikeitplz.png

Thank you for coming to my TED talk

tumblr_p4pkm74I261udxv66o1_540.gif

tumblr_p4pkm74I261udxv66o2_540.gif

• Like 1

I've been trying to get into figure skating for ages but it's hard for me. It's a beautiful sport that I enjoy watching but which have no visibility where I live so it's hard for me to find things about it (like rules, important figure skaters, where to watch it and when etc...). I mean, it's not like football of rugby which are accessible sports.

I'll probably lurk here often ~ so maybe one day I'll know things about figure skating and I'll call myself a fan hehe.

This website gives a lot of info:

https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com/

It also gives info on how to watch the Grand Prix, which is going on this weekend.

You can also look up programs on Youtube. I don't know where you live, but a lot of smaller countries are currently building their skaters. On the Junior Grand Prix there were skaters from all continents apart from Antartica, including countries like New Zealand, India, Malaysia and Mexico.

Don't worry too much about the rules. I think everyone goes from 'not sure what's going on, but they didn't fall, so that's good!' to slowly recognizing jumps and other moves.

Tigerandbambi included a few nice programs already. Thanks for that!

Question for you, what was your favourite Yuzuru Hanyu program?

Edited by Riserise

Question for you, what was your favourite Yuzuru Hanyu program?

Tbh I can watch Yuzuru skate 24/7 and still be mesmerized. He's not only the most complete and well-rounded skater I've ever seen but also an admireable human being, sincere, focused, extremely hardworking, passionate, amazing speaker and very ambitious.

All of his programs are incredible and chosing faves is almost impossible, but these I probably like best:

Seimei

Hope and Legacy

Notte Stellata

Parisienne Walkways

He's gone through so much in life and put his body through a lot. I believe him when he says he'll do the 4A (or probably die trying). However, I didn't believe him for a second when he said he doesn't have to prove anything anymore to himself after his 2nd Olympic gold, because here we are, 7 months later and him saying 'It's meaningless if I don't win'. lol this guy's fire will never be quenched.

From his new programs, so far I like Otonal a bit more than Origin but that could be because Origin still seems like a work-in-progress, a bit unpolished and still in the early stages of growing into its skin.

Edited by tigerandbambi
  • Like 1

He's gone through so much in life and put his body through a lot. I believe him when he says he'll do the 4A (or probably die trying). However, I didn't believe him for a second when he said he doesn't have to prove anything anymore to himself after his 2nd Olympic gold, because here we are, 7 months later and him saying 'It's meaningless if I don't win'. lol this guy's fire will never be quenched.

From his new programs, so far I like Otonal a bit more than Origin but that could be because Origin still seems like a work-in-progress, a bit unpolished and still in the early stages of growing into its skin.

I also believe he will do 4A one time. There have been reports that he is very close. Plushenko says it

too.

And I also agree that he still wants to win very much, haha.

I like Otonal more. Perhaps because I like the musicsmile.png . He made some mistakes in Autumn Classic, but I think it will be an absolute master piece by the end of the season.

Did anyone watch the Grand Prix this weekend?

Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès really stepped it up.

It got the World Record now.

I also loved the battle in ladies. Evgenia missing the combo in the short program was a bit of a shock to me, as she's one of my favourites, but she fought herself back to a medal. Liked the flower crown too!

And winner Liza's Triple Axel was there without a turn out this time.

People talked a lot about Rika Kihira's strength, but I think the top Japanese ladies need to worry about Mako Yamashita as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Satoko, Rika and Mako will go to the World Championships this year.

Come on Wakaba! I wish she had won a medalunsure.png

Junhwan Cha made a few mistakes, but he was good enough for bronze. Keegan Messing did a good job, but Shoma Uno's jumps are of such high difficulty that he couldn't be caught, even with mistakes.

Finally, Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue from the USA enjoyed their Free Dance so much that they wanted to do another onelaugh.png

Edited by Riserise

I like Jin Boyang the most. People always forget about him, but he won a world medal twice and has funny programs. 

His Spiderman is the best. He's very sunny. 

I also like Ivett Toth for the ladies because she has cool programs. 

After big competitions, there's usually a gala. Performances go from dramatic to wacky, since they don't have to worry about points.

The one for the Canadian Grand Prix is now being streamed live

Edited by Riserise

Jin Boyang is going to skate at the Finland Grand Prix this weekend. Any other fans of the Chinese Spiderman?

Edited by TheBigMermaid
  • Like 1

Yuna is my number 1 of all time, since she peaked my interest in the sport

My fave skaters , as you can tell from my sig, are American ice dance team the Shibs 

I was so happy they got bronze, tho imo they deserved silver. They're taking a break this season so i could care less about ice dance until they come back next season to save ice dance cause boy is it shit right now

Other skaters I love, Wakaba Higuchi and Marin Honda have to be up there. Elizaveta is great on twitter and I've taken a liking to her. For men, i don't have favorites they're all great. I don't follow pairs as closely but i do like Sui/Han 

i shouldn't attach myself to juniors, but Im so happy for Yelim for getting into the GPF 

Edited by DC3
  • Like 1

Yuna is my number 1 of all time, since she peaked my interest in the sport

My fave skaters , as you can tell from my sig, are American ice dance team the Shibs 

I was so happy they got bronze, tho imo they deserved silver. They're taking a break this season so i could care less about ice dance until they come back next season to save ice dance cause boy is it shit right now

Other skaters I love, Wakaba Higuchi and Marin Honda have to be up there. Elizaveta is great on twitter and I've taken a liking to her. For men, i don't have favorites they're all great. I don't follow pairs as closely but i do like Sui/Han 

i shouldn't attach myself to juniors, but Im so happy for Yelim for getting into the GPF

What's your favourite Yuna program? (I wish she was still skating).

The Shibutanis are great. I like them both on and off the ice.

READY FOR THIS THREAD. Has anyone else been watching the GP events? Finlandia is a bit of a mess so far.

Poor Kaori. :( She was sobbing after her SP. I also find it suspect that Alina ended up with such high PCS and in first place after popping the second jump in her combo, but what else is new with Eteri girls and inflation.

Outside of the singles disciplines, South Korea is not that strong. They do have an ice dance pair that is getting some attention: Yura Min and Alexander Gamelin.

Just as a note: Min/Gamelin separated before the start of the season (it was super dramatic, actually — they were calling each other out on social media). Muramoto/Reed of Japan did as well, and I believe that was also pretty acrimonious.

Edited by fallingslowly
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

READY FOR THIS THREAD. Has anyone else been watching the GP events? Finlandia is a bit of a mess so far.

Poor Kaori. :( She was sobbing after her SP. I also find it suspect that Alina ended up with such high PCS and in first place after popping the second jump in her combo, but what else is new with Eteri girls and inflation.

Just as a note: Min/Gamelin separated before the start of the season (it was super dramatic, actually — they were calling each other out on social media). Muramoto/Reed of Japan did as well, and I believe that was also pretty acrimonious.

Raises hand. I felt sorry for Rika Hongo too, yesterday. She was so distressed. I'm glad she finished the competition on her own terms.

And Alina won. Not really surprised there smile.png. She got an enormous owl. Glad that Kaori got herself on the podium. Had never expected Stanislava to get a silver, but there we are.

But Yuzuru did so well! New World Recordlovestruck.png

I didn't know Min/Gamelin seperated!rlytearpls.png I'll remove it from the OP.  I knew about Muramoto/Reed, but not them. If they keep this up, East Asia won't have any Ice Dance teams that are even remotely competitive for Beijing 2022. I don't remember seeing dance teams from Japan or Korea doing

well in the junior grand prix either.

Edited by Riserise

Raises hand. I felt sorry for Rika Hongo too, yesterday. She was so distressed. I'm glad she finished the competition on her own terms.

And Alina won. Not really surprised there smile.png. She got an enormous owl. Glad that Kaori got herself on the podium. Had never expected Stanislava to get a silver, but there we are.

But Yuzuru did so well! New World Recordlovestruck.png

I didn't know Min/Gamelin seperated!rlytearpls.png I'll remove it from the OP.  I knew about Muramoto/Reed, but not them. If they keep this up, East Asia won't have any Ice Dance teams that are even remotely competitive for Beijing 2022. I don't remember seeing dance teams from Japan or Korea doing

well in the junior grand prix either.

Rika is rather slow, isn't she? She reminds me of Tuktik in that way. I feel like I'm watching her on half-speed, which is pretty strange, because all of the other Japanese ladies fly across the ice. I wonder if she's hurt?

omg that owl is precious. I don't begrudge Alina, but her PCS scores are just incredibly inflated. She's not even happy with her performance, but you'd never know that based on the scores.

Yuzu usually ends up getting silver in his first GP event due to some mistakes but I don't see that happening this time, LOL. That twizzle into the 3A? A Momentâ„¢.

Stanislava got no UR calls. Zero. Even Alina got one! You can see that Stanislava had several URs with the naked eye. I don't know what juice the judges were sipping on, but I want some. Now Kaori is on the precipice of making it into the GPF instead of being a sure thing.

I think Min and Muramoto will have new partners by next season, but who knows how well they'll do with them. Muramoto/Reed were Japan's chance of qualifying two teams to Worlds next season, but now that won't happen. They do have some young talent, but they have very little international exposure, so they really have no idea how they'd be scored on that stage (and therefore don't know where they need to improve).

Edited by fallingslowly
  • Like 1

Rika is rather slow, isn't she? She reminds me of Tuktik in that way. I feel like I'm watching her on half-speed, which is pretty strange, because all of the other Japanese ladies fly across the ice. I wonder if she's hurt?

omg that owl is precious. I don't begrudge Alina, but her PCS scores are just incredibly inflated. She's not even happy with her performance, but you'd never know that based on the scores.

Yuzu usually ends up getting silver in his first GP event due to some mistakes but I don't see that happening this time, LOL. That twizzle into the 3A? A Momentâ„¢.

Stanislava got no UR calls. Zero. Even Alina got one! You can see that Stanislava had several URs with the naked eye. I don't know what juice the judges were sipping on, but I want some. Now Kaori is on the precipice of making it into the GPF instead of being a sure thing.

I think Min and Muramoto will have new partners by next season, but who knows how well they'll do with them. Muramoto/Reed were Japan's chance of qualifying two teams to Worlds next season, but now that won't happen. They do have some young talent, but they have very little international exposure, so they really have no idea how they'd be scored on that stage (and therefore don't know where they need to improve).

Perhaps Yuzu was so annoyed about the issues at the Autumn Classic competition that he was hell-bent on improving. He totally seems like he would beat himself up over them. It was awesome to see the Pooh Rain againlaugh.png. And yes, his axels are always a high point. Literally, in this case. He's obviously practicing the 4A. I don't think we will see it tomorrow, but we never know with mr Hanyu.

It was less great to see Mikhail mess up his SP. He has great potential for high scores, but so often he loses bucketloads of points with errors. I like the guy, so I hope he will do better tomorrow.

Yeah. I agree about the Alina PCS thing. She improved a lot, but she's no Satoko. And Stanislava....unsure.png (note: I don't mind her as a person, but I do think she got a lot of freebies this year, like being sent to Junior and Senior Worlds that was a bit over the top).

Muramoto/Reed break-up was sad. It's too bad that those skaters quit over disagreements. Building a new team costs time, even if they find a new partner.

Perhaps Yuzu was so annoyed about the issues at the Autumn Classic competition that he was hell-bent on improving. He totally seems like he would beat himself up over them. It was awesome to see the Pooh Rain againlaugh.png. And yes, his axels are always a high point. Literally, in this case. He's obviously practicing the 4A. I don't think we will see it tomorrow, but we never know with mr Hanyu.

It was less great to see Mikhail mess up his SP. He has great potential for high scores, but so often he loses bucketloads of points with errors. I like the guy, so I hope he will do better tomorrow.

Yeah. I agree about the Alina PCS thing. She improved a lot, but she's no Satoko. And Stanislava....unsure.png (note: I don't mind her as a person, but I do think she got a lot of freebies this year, like being sent to Junior and Senior Worlds that was a bit over the top).

Muramoto/Reed break-up was sad. It's too bad that those skaters quit over disagreements. Building a new team costs time, even if they find a new partner.

I think he's only secure in the 4A with a harness on at this point, like everyone else practicing it. He only successfully added the 4L in international competition last year, so he'll probably just take it slow.

I can't decide what I think is the issue with Kolyada. I'm worried that his basics aren't down well enough for him to ever land quads consistently. And at this point, he's kinda too old to reverse that. Had Russian men's been as stacked as women's is, I think his fed would have given up on him a long time ago.

What kills me is that Satoko has to fight to break into the 8s in PCS. How absurd is that? She has the international clout and experience, so surely she must have climbed up the "reputation" ladder for the judges at this point. Kaori and Wakaba struggle with PCS scoring as well; this is by far the highest I've ever seen Kaori's PCS get. But even Loena broke into the 8s on three of the five components, so they were actually somewhat reasonable at this competition. (I guess they'd have to be, to justify Stanislava being in the mid 7s and Alina breaking into the low 9s...)

You would think Stanislava is an Eteri girl with the amount of preferential treatment she's received (and quite frankly, considering her poor flip/lutz edge and URs). But apparently her father is an important figure in the Russian military? So that answers that.

These feds ask a lot of folks like Reed and Gamelin who have to move elsewhere, learn the language, apply for citizenship. It heightens the pressure, because they want to feel like all of that was worth it. Both splits were concerning "directional differences" on paper with the men pulling the trigger, so I guess they just thought they wouldn't improve fast enough. Min has also been through quite a few partners and is thought to have "personality issues", so best of luck to the South Korean fed on finding her a new partner.

I can't decide what I think is the issue with Kolyada. I'm worried that his basics aren't down well enough for him to ever land quads consistently. And at this point, he's kinda too old to reverse that. Had Russian men's been as stacked as women's is, I think his fed would have given up on him a long time ago.

Yeah, you're right. In ladies, even Olympic medalists will have to fear for their Worlds spots next year, when Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova, Anastasia Tarakanova and Alena Kostornaia will likely move to seniors. This while there is less competition in the men, which will make Mikhail Kolyada likely to keep getting these spots. When he's on, he can medal at major competitions. He was the first Russian male world medalist in quite a while this year. It's too bad that it so often goes wrong.

What kills me is that Satoko has to fight to break into the 8s in PCS. How absurd is that? She has the international clout and experience, so surely she must have climbed up the "reputation" ladder for the judges at this point. Kaori and Wakaba struggle with PCS scoring as well; this is by far the highest I've ever seen Kaori's PCS get. But even Loena broke into the 8s on three of the five components, so they were actually somewhat reasonable at this competition. (I guess they'd have to be, to justify Stanislava being in the mid 7s and Alina breaking into the low 9s...)

Totally agree with you! smile.png

I don't get it with Satoko at all. She should be the PCS queen and have the rep for it. She's also a two time world medalist and was fourth at the Olympics.

These feds ask a lot of folks like Reed and Gamelin who have to move elsewhere, learn the language, apply for citizenship. It heightens the pressure, because they want to feel like all of that was worth it. Both splits were concerning "directional differences" on paper with the men pulling the trigger, so I guess they just thought they wouldn't improve fast enough. Min has also been through quite a few partners and is thought to have "personality issues", so best of luck to the South Korean fed on finding her a new partner.

Aw, that's too bad. They got quite a lot of favourable press during the Olympics, so it's a shame that it's all gone now. I'd like to see dance teams from South Korea, China and Japan doing well at Worlds soonlaugh.png . There's one Korean team that participated in the Junior Grand Prix: Jeongeun Jeon/Sungmin Choi. These are their programs in Bratislava:

. I like their attitude in the Kiss and Cry. They are a new team, so let's see how they do next year.

Finally, I can't wait to see how the men will do this afternoon. Hopefully, Yuzuru skates clean(ish) so we can get a good feel of his Free Program. I liked what I saw at Autumn Classic, and I think it will be one of his greats when he has refined it by the end of the season.

Edited by Riserise

The Men's Free Skate was wild. Lots of falls, but great favourite Yuzuru Hanyu managed to stay on his skates.

Loved his performance. He won by a big margin, but there are still things that can be improved. Can't wait to see what it will be like at the end of the year. And World RecordsQRLGYBO.png

I also loved Michal's air guitar both on the ice and in the Kiss and Crylaugh.png . He was so joyful. Great to see him on the podium.

Edited by Riserise