Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Should the US split up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

I know I've asked this before, but I'm asking it again. I proposed this question at work like this: Say you have a couple that is always fighting. They've been fighting for decades, but things are getting worse and worse every year. Things are so bad now that they barely speak, but when they do they're yelling at each other. Shouldn't they just get divorced? Everyone said yes, but when I said let's pretend that the US is that couple, it gave them pause.

And then I show them this video:

It's a couple of years old now, but still accurate. Things are actually worse now, but there is clearly a trend that sees no reversing.

#2 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

An Armchair, Egg and Blonk

• Naughty
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

Like into 2 different countries?

#3 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

Like into 2 different countries?

Two, maybe three since there would be one country with a wide gap between its parts.

#4 ocean berry

ocean berry

Debutee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:17 AM

relocate all the republicans to the southern states and we're good

tumblr_pgbljkHDzq1wzlzpno1_250.gif

#5 emile

emile

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Sounds like a great way for literal war to break out

#6 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

• Naughty
  • 1,350 posts

Two, maybe three since there would be one country with a wide gap between its parts.

I don’t see the US splitting w/o a war

#7 #goddamnitkongwee

#goddamnitkongwee

杨超越锦鲤宫

• Naughty
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:32 AM

You can't afford to split up.

#8 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:05 AM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/9b99657156f1...

The South and the Midwest would become their own country.

Sounds like a great way for literal war to break out

I don’t see the US splitting w/o a war

Why have a war?

#9 KraiL

KraiL

Star

• Nice
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:26 AM

They should do a similar visualization of Media bias and reporting that adds to the great divide and helps escalating the demonization of each of the sides, which in turn makes the sides even more monolithic and antagonistic towards each other.

#10 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

• Naughty
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:43 AM (Edited by Map_Linh, 09 October 2018 - 03:49 AM.)

The South and the Midwest would become their own country.

Why have a war?

Resources, different regions trying to grab the oil rich states in the Midwest. But also maybe something similar to the Civil War when the south wanted to secede. Like one side wants to be a united country but the other doesn’t. There are literally nuke warheads 20 miles from downtown Seattle.

Even if there won’t be a war, there are lots of factors to consider like cultural and economics. I don’t think we can just divide the US by half or north, south, and Midwest. You’d have to Balkanize. California alone has the 5th biggest GDP in the world, it can be its own country with the advantage of being on the coast. And then there are international powers like China. Right now, the US is a military and economics superpower, what happens if it splits up? How will the military be split up? There might be a chance of Canada getting involved in the action too, like BC and Cascadia or Alaska.

Idkkkkkkk
All this got me thinking of Gilead. That place doesn’t look too nice.

#11 ren‍‍‍

ren‍‍‍

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:46 AM

IM IN LOUISIANA FUCK NO IM NOT BECOMING A SLAVE

#12 花雪姫

花雪姫

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

USA divided into North and South. Get rid of the word United.

Southern part is Republican for sure.

#13 pandabear

pandabear

Idol

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:02 AM

No, I'm gonna sound crazy for saying this, but Russia has been using propaganda and cyber attacks on big sites like reddit to manufacture this divide among other things. Haven't you noticed the increase in anti-feminism, immigrants/refugees, racism, misogyny, ect. without any major events? America splitting is what Russia wants. There's a reason why they support Trump and Kavanaugh.

#14 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,774 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:18 AM (Edited by DocumentaLy, 09 October 2018 - 05:22 AM.)

Resources, different regions trying to grab the oil rich states in the Midwest. But also maybe something similar to the Civil War when the south wanted to secede. Like one side wants to be a united country but the other doesn’t. There are literally nuke warheads 20 miles from downtown Seattle.

Even if there won’t be a war, there are lots of factors to consider like cultural and economics. I don’t think we can just divide the US by half or north, south, and Midwest. You’d have to Balkanize. California alone has the 5th biggest GDP in the world, it can be its own country with the advantage of being on the coast. And then there are international powers like China. Right now, the US is a military and economics superpower, what happens if it splits up? How will the military be split up? There might be a chance of Canada getting involved in the action too, like BC and Cascadia or Alaska.

Idkkkkkkk
All this got me thinking of Gilead. That place doesn’t look too nice.

Most of the country's wealth is along the coasts, which would be one country. That won't have The Midwest, but it is trying to move away from things like oil. I don't think either side wants to be with the other, but people are just afraid to say it. Why continue to force people to think like you and always be angry, leading to a broken government? Washington state is part of the coastal country.

The country would be divide by ideology, which nicely fits into regions as well.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-04-at-10.46.24-AM.pn

The division has already happened: https://www.cnn.com/...tate/index.html

I'm not worried about the world when it comes to this topic.

IM IN LOUISIANA FUCK NO IM NOT BECOMING A SLAVE

Move.

USA divided into North and South. Get rid of the word United.

Southern part is Republican for sure.

See the map above.

No, I'm gonna sound crazy for saying this, but Russia has been using propaganda and cyber attacks on big sites like reddit to manufacture this divide among other things. Haven't you noticed the increase in anti-feminism, immigrants/refugees, racism, misogyny, ect. without any major events? America splitting is what Russia wants. There's a reason why they support Trump and Kavanaugh.

If you watch the video, you can see this was happening years before then. The video stops at 2013.

#15 #goddamnitkongwee

#goddamnitkongwee

杨超越锦鲤宫

• Naughty
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:37 AM

Yes, Russia want USA to split, but using propaganda and cyber attack to split seem to insult your own country intelligent.

#16 letsrewindit

letsrewindit

Superstar

• Nice
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:33 AM (Edited by letsrewindit, 09 October 2018 - 07:36 AM.)

The reason why USA is divided is because you have people who make every single issue an Oppression Olympics.

#17 Mingming 'Beto' Carlson

Mingming 'Beto' Carlson

Senior Idol

• Nice
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

Umm have you noticed how insane, unreasonable, and rabid the left is getting?

#18 mochichan

mochichan

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,085 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:11 AM (Edited by mochichan, 09 October 2018 - 09:11 AM.)

That's not even conspiracy thing, there are plenty of reports that said Russia play a part in stoking the side against each other by pretend to be extremists on both side. Which then spawn actual extremists/tribalism split who think the other side are "crazy enemies."

#19 Solfa

Solfa

Superstar

• Nice
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/9b99657156f1...

That's not how it works, different lifestyles lead to different political views. Those who live in urban areas lean Democrat because Democrat policies help with their problems. However, people in rural areas lean Republican because Republican policies help with their problems. People feel Democrats do not do enough to help people in rural areas, and Republicans do not do enough to help people in urban areas. Which means, if you move current Republicans/Democrats to different places, you won't stop having Democrats/Republicans in your region. Those who will take over rural areas in your region will become Republican, while those who will live in urban areas will become Democrat. People will change voting patterns based on their current problems, and problems depend on lifestyles. This isn't an American only problem, it might be more emphasized in America because it's a big country with 300 million people, but this pattern for right-wing = rural, left-wing = urban is true even in Western Europe. Heck, it's true even for California and Texas which are seen as bastions of liberalism and conservatism respectively. Central California which is rural leans Republican, urban areas in Texas like Austin, lean Democrat. 

That's not even conspiracy thing, there are plenty of reports that said Russia play a part in stoking the side against each other by pretend to be extremists on both side. Which then spawn actual extremists/tribalism split who think the other side are "crazy enemies."

You are right. Tumblr and Reddit have proven to be easy targets of Russian propaganda. Tumblr often cleans up scarily left-wing blogs, while Reddit often cleans up scarily right-wing subreddits. 

#20 Tempo~~

Tempo~~

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

Nah

Up, Up and Away!