SGO48 Vietnam

30 replies to this topic

#21 llamaswag

llamaswag

#TheLlamaMovement Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationIn a world with f(SHINee) AND forever queen in my heart Rainie Yang

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:39 AM (Edited by llamaswag, 30 September 2018 - 07:56 AM.)

Maybe, there is a limit how long can a "cover" group can go. I saw few marketing analyses on BNK48 they all addressed it would be hard for BNK48's hype to last long due to its nature. 48 format is "stan" focused marketing/emotional marketing so it may be hard to keep the interest of "general public" onto the group.

NCT Vietnam has not even started trainee recruiting yet. It will take at least 3 years to debut the group. By that time, SGO may already wane.

An advantage of BNK48 is that Thailand's economy is dominated by Japanese investors who support BNK by hiring the group for their event for endorsement. Meanwhile, Vietnam's economy is dominated by Korean investors who won't as supportive to a J-pop-ish group.

A very reason why big music labels in Thailand doesn't join the "idol" market because it's much much more costly to produce and maintain and they ain't familiar with "idol" marketing leeching off fans to the fullest. They still use the same old marketing, event performance, concert, endorsement and tie-in. So, to them, idol is much much less profitable. BNK48 has made hefty income but, it's questionable how profitable the group has been as it requires huge budget to run.

As no big label joins the game, the expected fierce competition has not happened.

I don't 'expected' or a 'sure thing' to whatever happened to this group in the future (or to their long term career as we don't know if this group will take it off after debut like BNK/JKT in the first place) but a possibly that this group has advantage start compare to other Viet groups (the company that back them help too) and adding a 'wishful thinking'. Since my first post I already knowledge how hard is the market for idol groups to be successful (and pressed on how all these Asian countries not like Korea+Japan) when it comes to groups. That's y, Vietnam lack of it own exist groups in the first place. I don't get why u keep repeat the same thing to me for counterargument?

#22 bzz

bzz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationSiam

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

I don't 'expected' or a 'sure thing' to whatever happened to this group in the future (or to their long term career as we don't know if this group will take it off after debut like BNK/JKT in the first place) but a possibly that this group has advantage start compare to other Viet groups (the company that back them help too) and adding a 'wishful thinking'. Since my first post I already knowledge how hard is the market for idol groups to be successful (and pressed on how all these Asian countries not like Korea+Japan) when it comes to groups. That's y, Vietnam lack of it own exist groups in the first place. I don't get why u keep repeat the same thing to me for counterargument?

- The downfall of JKT isn't simply management flaw but something bound to happen. Likely, the management could delay it for few years at best. Sooner or later, BNK will fall into the same situation unless both BNK's agency and AKS together do something big to refresh the group.

- SGO48, if successful, likely will boost the quantity but not the quality of girl groups. The market won't develop stably without bigger music labels participating the competition.

- 48 won't help increase the quality.

For quality, K-pop is the route to take. K-pop invests so much on training thus K-pop influenced groups receive better training. By taking after K-pop, I refer only to its training, its approach to create a group and not necessarily its music.

#23 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationIn The Cosmic Nebular

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

That's what I'm saying in my other post SGO48's concept will bring buzz to industry/audiences (which something that Viet groups doesn't have), so increase this group chance to have a great start. 

Another thing is SM planned for NCT Vietnam may help create a good idol fan base for industry in the future (as Vietnam/Viet fans obsessed with KPOP, so tagging SM/Kpop will help attracting audiences). I think this will help SGO48 in the future too. It may brings some kind of competition in the industry and make idol fan base community more interesting and active.

Yeah, I think having SGO48 can be a small step of getting more attention to the idol culture in Vietnam, since today it's either despised or people simply don't care about them. Until NCT-V arrives(if that ever happens since SM could change his mind), it's better to have one real idol group than lazy and dumb groups like Zer09. Not to put down other existing Vpop groups like UNI5(which is gaining attention), Monstar, Lime and Lip B, but the public don't care about them. 

#24 花雪姫

花雪姫

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:52 PM

She doesn't look like Lee Bo Young imo but she's pretty nonetheless.

#25 maindo

maindo

Idol

• PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHanoi, Vietnam

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:03 AM

- The downfall of JKT isn't simply management flaw but something bound to happen. Likely, the management could delay it for few years at best. Sooner or later, BNK will fall into the same situation unless both BNK's agency and AKS together do something big to refresh the group.

- SGO48, if successful, likely will boost the quantity but not the quality of girl groups. The market won't develop stably without bigger music labels participating the competition.

- 48 won't help increase the quality.

For quality, K-pop is the route to take. K-pop invests so much on training thus K-pop influenced groups receive better training. By taking after K-pop, I refer only to its training, its approach to create a group and not necessarily its music.

I agree with you, as much I as anticipate SGO48, I am also skeptical because the 48 horizontal integration/business model has been repetitive and can go saturated. They need something new and refreshing that can go viral because people get bored quickly. I really, really dislike how AKS doesn't give the original song to any of its foreign sister group, except China. Sure, producing a new song/concept is costly, but why not? Local people appreciate it more.

The view of Facebook page and Youtube videos are stilllow for me. People haven't warmed up to this yet because Vietnamese people prefer originality and soloists who work on their own aesthetic and music. The commercial idol culture struggles a lot. 

Long-term success: SGO48 should really think about 10 years of plan. What do they want to achieve by being here? Having an excellent first generation is a must. How can they be everywhere? How can they overcome preference to soloist?

#26 N.B.

N.B.

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:06 AM (Edited by N.B., 01 November 2018 - 02:07 AM.)

I don't think Vietnamese public don't like groups. We used to have so many popular groups such as 1088, MTV, GMC, AC&M,... (boygroups) and HAT, May Trang, Mat Ngoc,.... (girlgroups) in early 2000. But because groups need more investment and there were so many dramas among group members and between groups and music ent. company so they prefer invest on solosists than groups.

Some groups now such as Monstar, Uni5, Lime, LipB,... have no impact because they don't have any breakthrough songs and their music style is not Vietnamese public taste. Plus bad management from music ent. company makes it worse.

#27 N.B.

N.B.

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:21 AM (Edited by N.B., 01 November 2018 - 02:21 AM.)

Some of group songs from 2000s that I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438cl0FX8DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frL-mgo8iJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEzm8juLQ8

About SGO48, because groups are in the lowest low in general public right now so they have to had a really good management and a hit. But I doubt that Yeah1 will treat them right.

#28 bzz

bzz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationSiam

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

I agree with you, as much I as anticipate SGO48, I am also skeptical because the 48 horizontal integration/business model has been repetitive and can go saturated. They need something new and refreshing that can go viral because people get bored quickly. I really, really dislike how AKS doesn't give the original song to any of its foreign sister group, except China. Sure, producing a new song/concept is costly, but why not? Local people appreciate it more.

The view of Facebook page and Youtube videos are stilllow for me. People haven't warmed up to this yet because Vietnamese people prefer originality and soloists who work on their own aesthetic and music. The commercial idol culture struggles a lot. 

Long-term success: SGO48 should really think about 10 years of plan. What do they want to achieve by being here? Having an excellent first generation is a must. How can they be everywhere? How can they overcome preference to soloist?

No, the cost of music composition and concept is low. Most music producers aren't so famous as they works in the background. They are numerous not-so-well-known nice producers and their wages aren't so high. The cost of concept is even lower. Concept is just the rough idea that cannot be copyrighted. The cost for lyric is negligible as it will be a local lyricist. If the agency can't even afford an original song yearly, it is doomed. 

Rather than commercial vs. artistic, the problem SGO facing is more of the lack of AKB48 recognition/popularity in the country. If I understand correctly, Japanese pop culture of just anything Japanese is not much loved in Vietnam. Besides, even those soloists are meant to be "commercial" or they have been indie/non-mainstream singers

10 years, long term success? laugh.png I'm confident Yeah1 rather focuses on how to make profit in 2 years for now.

Actually, the standard of BNK's 1st gen is not high, both skill and visual wise yet, the group somehow hit big. 2nd gen is a big upgrade.

#29 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationIn The Cosmic Nebular

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

I don't think Vietnamese public don't like groups. We used to have so many popular groups such as 1088, MTV, GMC, AC&M,... (boygroups) and HAT, May Trang, Mat Ngoc,.... (girlgroups) in early 2000. But because groups need more investment and there were so many dramas among group members and between groups and music ent. company so they prefer invest on solosists than groups.

Some groups now such as Monstar, Uni5, Lime, LipB,... have no impact because they don't have any breakthrough songs and their music style is not Vietnamese public taste. Plus bad management from music ent. company makes it worse.

Let's say if current VPOP groups would have made straight up ballads(nhac buon)or even bolero. I don't think the results for them would be any different than what they make now. These groups you listed don't have higher views than today's, but granted Vietnam was poorer back then and internet wasn't accessable to everybody. 

UNI5, Monstar, Lime and LIPB(whatsever left of them)are focusing towards youngsters and having everything from 1-18 million views are decent enough to continue. But you're right, they don't make any impact for the small vietnamese scene at all. 

#30 maindo

maindo

Idol

• PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHanoi, Vietnam

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:30 PM

No, the cost of music composition and concept is low. Most music producers aren't so famous as they works in the background. They are numerous not-so-well-known nice producers and their wages aren't so high. The cost of concept is even lower. Concept is just the rough idea that cannot be copyrighted. The cost for lyric is negligible as it will be a local lyricist. If the agency can't even afford an original song yearly, it is doomed. 

Rather than commercial vs. artistic, the problem SGO facing is more of the lack of AKB48 recognition/popularity in the country. If I understand correctly, Japanese pop culture of just anything Japanese is not much loved in Vietnam. Besides, even those soloists are meant to be "commercial" or they have been indie/non-mainstream singers

10 years, long term success? https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... I'm confident Yeah1 rather focuses on how to make profit in 2 years for now.

Actually, the standard of BNK's 1st gen is not high, both skill and visual wise yet, the group somehow hit big. 2nd gen is a big upgrade.

I think 10 year plan is solid for any business. They don't want to be a bubble dot com that burst or one hit wonder artist that vanishes into thin air. Isn't 48 group about becoming a culture icon among the youth? Focusing on profit first sounds like short-term thing to do, albeit integral. 

Do you know what is the cost of producing an AKB48 song? Any mention about the production process?

Yeah, Jap pop culture is not widely known. 

#31 bzz

bzz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationSiam

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

I think 10 year plan is solid for any business. They don't want to be a bubble dot com that burst or one hit wonder artist that vanishes into thin air. Isn't 48 group about becoming a culture icon among the youth? Focusing on profit first sounds like short-term thing to do, albeit integral. 

Do you know what is the cost of producing an AKB48 song? Any mention about the production process?

Yeah, Jap pop culture is not widely known. 

It's already very impressive if a group can keep being profitable for straight 5 years. For the group to be a sustainable business, perhaps, it has to turn into all girls' agency under the brand 48 (an agency whose artists working various sub-unit and solo activities and timely release singles under SGO48 name).

Nope, but it's not that high in K-pop. I assume the price isn't much different in Japan. It's said,in Korea, 1 single of 3 songs costs 15 million wons to produce and 12 million more to record. Thus, to produce 1 song costs mere 5 million wons or roughly 4,400 dollars. And, the recording costs 4 million wons or roughly 3,500 dollar. The producer cost must have included the price of lyric, meaning it will be cheaper here as the lyric will be written locally. If the recording is done locally too, I guess 6,000 dollars to produce and record an original song is doable. This is a tiny bit of money considering the group will require over 1 million dolllars yearly to operate (members' wage, theater operation and maintenance, costume, MV, regular TV/web show etc.)

Up, Up and Away!