Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

how to have a sucessful long distant relationship?

ldr

18 replies to this topic

#1 MeiTzu

MeiTzu

❤️OHNetizen❤️

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,495 posts
  • Location❤️OHLand❤️

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:49 AM

do advice me please

#2 Hormones

Hormones

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Just no. Chance of it working is 1/1,000,000.

Don't know people like to be insufferable. 

#3 Arceus

Arceus

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Cut your partner's genitals.

#4 그대로 Repeat…

그대로 Repeat…

Don't Stop

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationSomeone loves you more than you love yourself.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:51 AM

A lot of communication and trust + regular visits.

#5 Dandy Fellow

Dandy Fellow

Trainee

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:52 AM

Cam everyday

#6 wifi

wifi

Trainee

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:55 AM

little chances of working hun :/ (don't trust me though I have 0 experience) but from what I've heard/read honestly doesn't works even for the most lovesick couples

#7 montchery

montchery

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:59 AM

Communication everyday, frequent visits, trust, having the same goal of being together in the future and working towards it.

It is very tough tho... not everyone is made for it, but sometimes it does work out. My cousin was long distance with his girlfriend from a different country for 6 - 7 years and they are now living together (been living together for 3 years now), it took time but they were clear on what they wanted and made it work.

#8 kingfei

kingfei

톸톸톸

• PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:00 AM

don't.

but if you do, lots of healthy communication and as frequent visits as possible are key.

#9 dmlve

dmlve

a n t i

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Location・can i drown in your uwu?

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:05 AM

first off, acknowledge that it requires a shit ton of work to function a relationship of that kind. 

No point in thinking that everything will be normal when you're oceans away from each other, doing god knows what; thus why trust is very important. Lastly, communication. Frequently skype or smth to each other, always assure each other that there's still love imminent. Prepare to be dedicated if you love your respective other that much. 

Long distance relationships may be hard to maintain but my parents were in a relationship like that and were very happy and are married. It's just a matter of going past the odds and dedicating yourself to what you need to. 

uaOtFym.gif

#10 Pleasure

Pleasure

kiss me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:07 AM

Cam everyday

#11 Ninian

Ninian

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:26 AM

Always communicate with each other honestly!

#12 kimchidiablo

kimchidiablo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

Stop worrying

#13 Chrome

Chrome

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:51 AM

if its not feasible to have visits semi-often then it's probably not going to work out imo

#14 B612

B612

WonderTwice♡

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts
  • Location🚜

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:53 AM

doesn't work 90% of the time 

#15 sungjins

sungjins

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

They're not for everyone, but if you're committed it can be very rewarding. 

- Communication is a must. it's important in all relationships but even more so in long-distance ones, since you're not often with each other.  Arrange regular Facetime sessions/calls/Skype dates etc, sometimes texting really isn't enough. My day can feel a lot better when I've heard my boyfriend's voice or seen his face. 

- Trust. again it's applied to all relationships, but you have to trust in your partner. if you're constantly paranoid/jealous it's better to avoid LDRs because these feelings will just accumulate to the point where you'll be doubting why you're even in a LDR. 

- Plan. Plan a lot!! For the short-term (when you'll visit each other next e.g. summer/winter break) and for the long-term (are you planning on living together? in which country?) But don't put immediate pressure on the long-term plans if you're in a new relationship. Just thinking about your next visits. 

- Don't be obsessive. If you're a clingy person- try to tone it down. It can become suffocating for your partner. You'll also get stressed wondering why they don't reply to you quickly. Everyone needs some space- even in an already long-distance one. Remember to have a life outside of your relationship. Sometimes it can be hard to think about anything other than the next visit, but just try to enjoy your life- continue doing your hobbies/going out and experiencing new things. 

Good luck smile.png

#16 ché

ché

thirsting over cha eunwoo tbh

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

As someone who is in a part-time LDR (we go to college together but live apart during breaks and summers) here's my advice:

• Text throughout the day.  I understand that work and school can fill up time but always make sure that you're keeping each other updated with how your days go.
  • SKYPE!  I can't stress this enough.  Have at least a 30 minute Skype call every night where you talk about each other's day--maybe even longer if you have the time to.
  • Netflix Party--if you get in a rut then you can watch Netflix with your SO.  My bf and I started a series and now sometimes we make plans to watch an episode together that day when we have time.
  • Long goodnight/good morning texts.  Sweet sentimental paragraph texts that you send occasionally to make the other person feel loved before they go to bed or when they wake up.  It helps to do this so that you can keep the love going in your relationship.
  • Plan a trip to have one of you visit the other so you have something to look forward to.  It's hard because it can get expensive (my bf and I live on opposite coasts) but even a flight for a visit of one week is so worth it.  Finally having them in your arms after months of not being together is the best feeling in the world.
  • Webcam sex/nudes/videos...I was hesitating on saying this but it helps for when you get sexually frustrated and miss each other.  You need to completely trust the other person though, so it's totally dependent on your relationship/your feelings.
  • Get busy!  Don't look at it as a miserable time.  Yes you miss them but this is now the time to live your own life and do things on your own until you're together.  You now have some time for yourself so look at it positively and make the most of it.
  • Lastly, trust them...I wouldn't even be in an LDR if I didn't trust my bf in regards to cheating/being unfaithful.  You have to trust them or you will be absolutely obsessive and will get into fights.

Anyway I will say that sometimes I do feel single and that I'm just keeping in contact with a good friend.  It's weird but I swear that everything changes when I get to see him again and I finally feel like I have a boyfriend--kind of like when you first start dating someone and get butterflies.  It's the best feeling in the world.

Good luck to anyone who is in an LDR or thinking about pursuing one.  They can be "hard" but all long-term relationships are hard so don't be discouraged to get into one if you really like the person--it's doable but you just have to work toward an end goal, just like with any other relationship.

#17 MeiTzu

MeiTzu

❤️OHNetizen❤️

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,495 posts
  • Location❤️OHLand❤️

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

thank you for this its worth advice

#18 masayume☆chasing

masayume☆chasing

Certified Girl Groups Inspector

• OH! Press
  • 4,642 posts
  • Location-Jisoo's pink wig-

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:59 AM

I know some people who managed to have a functional LD relationship, personally it's not for me.

People already gave you a bunch of good advice so I will only wish you good luck.

Cut your partner's genitals.

lel

#19 Nowhere Boy

Nowhere Boy

Praise Jiusus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationJiU Land

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

Don’t bother unless it’s someone who you can actually see in person once in a while.

Up, Up and Away!