Some Clarifications

39 replies to this topic

#21 Pirine

Pirine

Superstar

• Hall OH Fame
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:23 AM

First, I don't want to throw blame in any way or at anyone. I was a ghost on the site for a long time before I joined. When I first looked at OH back in 2016 mods seemed to be more present and involved then they are now. They were always wandering around the site and posting in threads. Now only a few do so. I think that it had a policing effect, in that it made users behave better because they knew that the mods were there. More public appearance of mods might help. Also I genuinely believe that we need more mods. Instead of just asking for volunteers why not ask the general population of OH who they think might make a good mod and approach those users. It might give better results. Maybe a pm survey. I want OH viable as a site for a long time so I hope that things get better for us all.

While I think its a nice idea to sort of elect a mod in a way, We hire mods the way we do because its really not a job for everyone and it can get pretty emotionally taxing at times. Its just not the sort of thing we would want to pressure someone into even if others feel like they'd do a good job. We'd like for it to purely come from a place of willing to help and even then it still too hard for some.

As for being more active I try my best to comment here and there. And we're looking into more ways to engage everyone so users can have more fun it doesn't feel like some omniscient evil Big Brother watching over everyone.

#22 Pupper

Pupper

yo girls lesbian crush

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Location( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆ walking down the street in my brand new car

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:27 AM (Edited by Pupper, 26 July 2018 - 01:27 AM.)

LOL OPPS

#23 Stepkdramafan226

Stepkdramafan226

BTS PR Team ♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • Location: "Maybe I made a mistake yesterday, but yesterday's me is still me. Today I am who I am with all of my faults & mistakes. Tomorrow I might be a tiny bit wiser & that'll be me too. These faults & mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life" - BTS (RM)

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:27 AM

Glad to see some clarifications about this issue. A lot of good points regarding suggestions on how to improve the current rules were raised today even if it some of it was discussed in a messy fashion. Sadly because of that those threads were locked.

I know that mods have a life, get a lot of stress from users and they are not always aware of every single thing that happens in every thread. We all know how messy some OH users can be.

This is still a very diverse forum and sometimes it kind of feels that we all have to come together as a community and make messy threads for voices to be heard and the situation to be taken more serious is very disheartening.

Example 1: 

The bashing thread 1.0 where you couldn't discuss anything or clarify any misinformation inside or outside of it...until the straw broke the camel's back and someone (who probably has no conscience) stooped very low to sewage bacteria waste level and decided to use a heartbreaking situation where every one was mourning for upvote whoring in that thread. Users had to make many messy threads for voices to be heard and for the thread to receive a makeover. 

There are more examples but we don't have all day

Example 2 (today): 

Users have always stated that someone who is calling out a person making, in the words of the rule book "Offensive Language + Imagery" receives more severe consequences than the person who broke the rule I just stated. Today someone got banned after making the same bland moldy bread racist type of joke many times because many messy threads were made. Why is this the case? I know it probably won't be as reported as much as the basic threads like "x vs y", "Is Idol group T more popular than Beyonce?", "A twitter account with no profile picture and one retweet, made a tweet about how b Idol is a flop. Lets make 20 pages!!" bla!! bla!! 

But, Lets compare some of the rules 

-> "Offensive Language + Imagery" (Examples Racism, Homophobia, Sexual Orientation Insults, Discrimination)

• 1st Offense: 3 points and posting rights removed (1 day)
    ​2nd offense: 5 points with account suspension (3 days)
    3rd offense: Permanent ban

-> Hate Speech (''Exposing'', Bringing External Drama From Outside OH)

• 1st offense: No points, Immediate suspension. The length will be determined by the severity of the content, and as per the moderators judgement.

2nd offense: Immediate ban.

-> Duplicate Accounts:

• 1st offense: Verbal Warning (Warning Log) + 3 Points
  • 2nd offense: Permanently ban

We can see that some revisions are needed because trolls are getting brave these days. Can we revise the rules with some input from the community? 

I am always one of the first to defend the mods and I legit feel sorry for the great ones among you who moderate fairly and honestly but we need to you know have a discussion. 

Sorry for the long essay lol laugh.png

Works cited [x]

#24 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,416 posts
  • LocationAll over

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:32 AM

While I think its a nice idea to sort of elect a mod in a way, We hire mods the way we do because its really not a job for everyone and it can get pretty emotionally taxing at times. Its just not the sort of thing we would want to pressure someone into even if other feel like they'd do a good job. We'd like for it to purely come from a  willing to help and even then it still to hard for some.

As for being more active I try my best to comment here and there. And we're looking into more ways to engage everyone so users can have more fun it doesn't feel like some omniscient evil Big Brother watching over everyone.

When I mentioned mods that are present you were the main one I thought of actually.lol I don't want Big Brother either. I was thinking more like the friendly neighborhood cop like in old movies.
I didn't want to strong arm people to be mods. I just thought that they might feel more like doing a job that fellow users had confidence that they could do. I see your point though.

#25 asdfjkl

asdfjkl

😬

• PipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Location🎤 Even if it takes time, please be happy 🎤

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:34 AM

Does this mean the 10 point warning system will stay the way it currently is?

#26 adina kim

adina kim

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Locationloonatics

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:42 AM

the staff may have snapped on this one

i love it

as a token of my gratitude i give you this perfectly skinned watermelon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN08RcQWcAAj...

this real or photoshop? how can u do this? plls make a tutorial video and put it on youtube amgplz.png

#27 예서탱

예서탱

scone.blind.deluluv

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationwe all lie...

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:43 AM

this real or photoshop? how can u do this? plls make a tutorial video and put it on youtube https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

#28 jonjon

jonjon

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationEvakings & Tumblade

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

it takes something to admit that you have a shit mod and i respect that

#29 Charmy

Charmy

Official YG Anti

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  • Locationin south korea waiting to jump yg

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:24 AM

Thank you for addressing our concerns. You briefly mentioned that Sad’s tweets don’t represent you as a staff, but has anyone actually notified him about this situation? I understand people grow and change, but these comments deserve to be addressed, rather than be swept under the rug again. Even if Sad chooses to ignore this, it would be reassuring to know that you all at least put the ball in his court.

#30 jonjon

jonjon

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationEvakings & Tumblade

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:26 AM

btw what private info does the mod have access to?

#31 Pirine

Pirine

Superstar

• Hall OH Fame
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:43 AM

Thank you for addressing our concerns. You briefly mentioned that Sad’s tweets don’t represent you as a staff, but has anyone actually notified him about this situation? I understand people grow and change, but these comments deserve to be addressed, rather than be swept under the rug again. Even if Sad chooses to ignore this, it would be reassuring to know that you all at least put the ball in his court.

He was informed a while ago.

btw what private info does the mod have access to?

The Privacy Policy explain what data we know from users. We also know about all warnings users have gotten.

#32 Panwink Trash

Panwink Trash

☀ ѕυиѕнιиє ☀

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  • Location╰☆☆ zα¢к тяαѕн ☆☆╮

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:45 AM (Edited by Panwink Trash, 26 July 2018 - 03:27 AM.)

that's too long for me to read aren't there tl;dr

but thanks for the clarifications

#33 Free Sungmin

Free Sungmin

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,281 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:52 AM

thanks for the clarification.

First thing is first, we do not share private information on people nor will we disclose warnings we apply.

understandable. still, i wish there was more transparency. i personally have been reporting offensive comments this year. but there's no follow-up message or notification etc.. so for those of us who actually do report comments/threads, it feels like sending a message to the void lol..

anyway, i'm glad those two users are banned. and i appreciate the mods that were online and handled the situation.

Oh yeah, a follow-up message or notification would be good, like on Facebook when you report stuff and they send you a report later on.

#34 Hаru

Hаru

Guardian Savely ♡

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:58 AM

thanks for everything<3

#35 giktop

giktop

Senior Idol

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationKiki stole the lipgloss again

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:05 AM

In all honesty I can say that during the times I reported stuff to Ranze she took action immediately especially when 2 random users on here started attacking me out of nowhere which made me very cautious from then on. I hope you're able to find mods just like her again... maybe when we move. Some of the users here are so fucking creepy that you never know what their intentions are and the ex-mod who snapped further proves that some just can't handle that kind of responsibility.

#36 ByulHarangBona

ByulHarangBona

WJSN Bona's one and only ♡ | IZone Yujin's Protector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,897 posts
  • LocationBona's house | We, the Reds! |

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for addressing the issues but there are still questions in my mind.

How efficent is the 10 point warning system really?

Most of us come to this forum to spazz/discuss peacefully over our favourite, but there are trolls who cleverly play around with their words and tried to induce fighting in the forum but still last a super long time here.

And also one more question. When Onehallyu move to a new site, will the banned users be able to create new account there? I shudder at the thought that we might have to put up with some of the banned users there again

#37 souffleg

souffleg

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

I think one of the problems is that the secrecy make it seems like actions are not taken, i, for one, have been reporting things constately and it kinda seems i'm reporting to the void.

maybe when you close a threat because the situation is delicate like with racism et similia you can name the culprit and at least give a verbal warning in addition of wps or  whatever  punishment that can stay private, like, if they are old enough to start mess  and being openely racist/homophobic et similia in a public forum they can handle being called out by mods, tbh, because i hope you took care of it before but no-one knows if you took stock of what they said because it was just wiped, it's a different kind of matter than stupid fandom wars and the current way of doing it gives the impression that it's just being kinda tossed away, i'm not saying you tossed it away but we have 0 way to know if you took stock of people saying stuff like "X race is inferior".

Like, in other forums wps were displayed and it didn't change the way users interacted, if you don't want to do it it's okay but something like that gave the idea of transparency and accountability.

And i urge you to be more stringent with racism, hoophobia et similia.

thank you for reading

#38 Ronnie Mars

Ronnie Mars

~ 2 young girls 4 ever ~

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationThe Radish Farm

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:21 AM

Honestly that's a huge part of the problem with reports; users assume someone else has reported something and don't do it themselves. That just continues on, and no one has reported. So many times I have gone to a thread where someone has reported an issue, and I find pages of users wondering where the mods are at, but none of them had actually reported anything. 

I've seen this in several occasions and I would like to put a stop on this, too. Everytime I see problematic threads and comments, I quickly hit the report button. It doesn't matter if anyone has reported the posts or not -- for me, even the more reports that are sent to the mods, the better.

At least it's better than just complaining in the threads like "why is this thread not locked yet" but never doing anything such as reporting the thread/comments. unimpressed.png

#39 benseac

benseac

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationThe 313

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:24 AM (Edited by benseac, 01 August 2018 - 03:40 AM.)

How can we trust you guys again for keeping our private info secret? Is there a chance in the near future where a staff member will expose private info again?

We probably can't. I'd say this applies to every online community, not just this one. Everyone's best option is to limit personal information you give out anywhere online because you never know what can happen with it.

#40 Hormones

Hormones

Senior Idol

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:45 AM

Well then, good job...

Up, Up and Away!