38 replies to this topic

#1 Darkchao45

Darkchao45

Saving The Digital World

• The Nation's Admins
  • 8,229 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Smash

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:21 AM

I won't go into extreme details nor will I say names. If people were around earlier I suggest you PM each other, don't discuss it here...

First thing is first, we do not share private information on people nor will we disclose warnings we apply. You wouldn't want people airing out your dirty business, no matter how you might claim otherwise. People have a right to privacy, its that simple. Someone who trolls does not get excluded from that, nor does someone who posts questionable or stupid things. Us not disclosing what actions we take does not mean we condone bad behavior. The 2 or so times that something happened on a wide scale we did indeed publicly disclose most of what we did with the problematic people. Smaller things do not need to be disclosed to everyone. Its all part of the process we believe is best to deal with people.

One does not simply ban their problems away. That mentality is the same as those who think throwing people in jail and doing nothing else will solve society's problems. It doesn't. In fact, its proven that trying to properly correct bad behaviors is a better alternative to dealing with problematic people. So for everyone who keeps preaching that we ban everyone who does something bad, that's just not going to solve anything. It creates another problem, which is the over policing of the environment, or in this case this forum.

We have a 10 point warning system so people can learn from a mistake. Sure, some rules carry more weight than others and are therefore more grievous in nature. Comparing the severity of one warning to another will do you no good because you are comparing apples to oranges. Each rule is its own thing and you shouldn't assume that because Rule A is 8 points warning but Rule B is only 2, that Rule B is less important. There are levels within each rule and they are applied as the moderator sees fit. Our rule book is mainly a guidebook, and we have points alloted to each rule as a guide, but in reality a mod can apply them as they want. I for example am very liberal in that regard and will either outright ban a potential dupe account or suspend someone for a long period of time as opposed to giving them just points. But that's me, and when all new mods are hired we encourage them to apply the rule mainly as they are, and in the future be more liberal with them.

Too much of anything is bad. Compared to other websites Id say we do a pretty good job at keeping things balanced. I am a firm believer of a middle ground, and in general that mentality is shared by most of us. We all come from different backgrounds, religions, nationalities, countries/states, sexual orientation, race. We are a very diverse team and I think this applies to all of our staff as well. Perhaps we don't do a good job in communicating our diversity, but I suppose there will be future events where we might.

Moving on, we had a situation where an ex-mod was revealing private info, or was alluding to it. Honestly, I can speak on behalf of all of us that we are very disappointed and even disgusted, that this person we placed our trust in, this person we considered a friend and a part of our team, not only betrayed our trust, but also had us fooled this entire time. To go and start succumbing to petty attacks and taking swings at people he didn't like, people he disagreed with, people he knew personal stuff about, is honestly very low and we were not going to tolerate it. The trust we want you guys to have with us on a private level, regardless of whatever external differences we may have, is something we have strived to solidify for many years. To go and break this effort we put in, is honestly unforgivable. So that person was dealt with.

Lastly, I understand many of you wanted some clarification on what happened with those screenshots of Sad's old tweets. His Twitter account is his personal account and whatever he posted there years ago are his own tweets and responsibility. They do not represent this site or the staff here.

#2 WonderTwice

WonderTwice

B612โ™ก

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:25 AM

WonderTwice for admin 2018 !!

#3 itouch

itouch

Kpop Chart Veteran with over 9 years of charting experience

• PipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • LocationAugust's Top 5 gg Ranking. 1)Twice 2)BP 3)RV 4)Mamamoo 5)Gfriend

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:25 AM

Itouch for admin 2018 !!

#4 kyulkyung

kyulkyung

โœจ๐ŸŒน ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’๐“ˆ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐ŸŒนโœจ

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  • Locationminion gang

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

thanks for the clarifications! sorry you guys mistrusted the wrong person in the team, but hope all is well in the end. 

#5 FantaSana

FantaSana

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Locationtwiceland~

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:28 AM (Edited by FantaSana, 26 July 2018 - 12:33 AM.)

Yeah...there's a difference between simply "doing something bad" like instigating a dumb fanwar and being allowed to spout blatantly racist nonsense on multiple occasions. You all need to re-evaluate and do better. 

#6 N!lo

N!lo

Debutee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:29 AM (Edited by N!lo, 26 July 2018 - 12:31 AM.)

How can we trust you guys again for keeping our private info secret? Is there a chance in the near future where a staff member will expose private info again?

#7 Sdm

Sdm

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:34 AM (Edited by Sdm, 26 July 2018 - 12:35 AM.)

The problem is that a lot of people here love running their mouths without actually knowing or understanding the rules. Thanks for the clarification.

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

๐Ÿ

• The Nation's Admins
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationLife is not all lovely thorns, and singing vultures, you know.

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

Yeah...there's a difference between simply "doing something bad" like instigating a dumb fanwar and being allowed to spout blatantly racist nonsense on multiple occasions. You all need to re-evaluate and do better. 

It's been addressed in other places as well, but the majority of the posts were not reported or seen by mods to handle, and the situation was addressed when a mod was made aware of it. OH is a huge site, and as much as we'd like to be able to see everything going on we simply can't. Until users actually consistently report issues and posts it's easy for us to miss things. To do better and be more effective we need users like yourself to report things as well.  

#9 FantaSana

FantaSana

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Locationtwiceland~

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

It's been addressed in other places as well, but the majority of the posts were not reported or seen by mods to handle, and the situation was addressed when a mod was made aware of it. OH is a huge site, and as much as we'd like to be able to see everything going on we simply can't. Until users actually consistently report issues and posts it's easy for us to miss things. To do better and be more effective we need users like yourself to report things as well.  

I find it hard to believe that in all of that users time here that none (or i guess not "a majority") of their racist bullshit was reported but it's whatever. They're gone now and hopefully they stay gone. 

#10 Pineapple

Pineapple

๐Ÿ

• The Nation's Admins
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:43 AM

I find it hard to believe that in all of that users time here that none (or i guess not "a majority") of their racist bullshit was reported but it's whatever. They're gone now and hopefully they stay gone. 

Honestly that's a huge part of the problem with reports; users assume someone else has reported something and don't do it themselves. That just continues on, and no one has reported. So many times I have gone to a thread where someone has reported an issue, and I find pages of users wondering where the mods are at, but none of them had actually reported anything. 

#11 VANTE

VANTE

universal bae

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationBT5

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:47 AM

Honestly that's a huge part of the problem with reports; users assume someone else has reported something and don't do it themselves. That just continues on, and no one has reported. So many times I have gone to a thread where someone has reported an issue, and I find pages of users wondering where the mods are at, but none of them had actually reported anything. 

why not have like a registry or a spreadsheet of people with wp and their offense? i know yall care about privacy but if someone is like harrassing someone else in pm i'd like to know that before i pm them. and it would create transparency where we know that no one is getting special treatment from mods. its why there's arrest records made public, so that there's no tyranny going on

#12 Lil Ayy Big Gay

Lil Ayy Big Gay

โ™ก TRUST IN T-ARA โ™ก

• PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:48 AM

if i report a post, can i request that a certain mod doesnt answer it or whatever?

i have reported nasty screwed up posts before all that happened was that my posts got removed, and im p sure its the same mod

that kind of made me not wanna report anymore tbqh

#13 dmlve

dmlve

a n t i

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Locationใƒปcan i drown in your uwu?

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:51 AM

I'm honestly baffled at that ex mod situation and i'm glad that it has been dealt with.

Despite the minor slipups and issues on this site, I can say that I do feel fairly safe and as you've said, compared to other websites OH is actually quite balanced.

Thanks for all the work so far, Good luck with the entire moving thingy too

#14 shawnee

shawnee

d a y d r e a m

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationOur Spring

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:55 AM

the staff may have snapped on this one

i love it

as a token of my gratitude i give you this perfectly skinned watermelon

CN08RcQWcAAjW6P.png

#15 love maze

love maze

โ™ก was: sungjong โ™ก

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

thanks for the clarification.

First thing is first, we do not share private information on people nor will we disclose warnings we apply.

understandable. still, i wish there was more transparency. i personally have been reporting offensive comments this year. but there's no follow-up message or notification etc.. so for those of us who actually do report comments/threads, it feels like sending a message to the void lol..

anyway, i'm glad those two users are banned. and i appreciate the mods that were online and handled the situation.

#16 Pineapple

Pineapple

๐Ÿ

• The Nation's Admins
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

why not have like a registry or a spreadsheet of people with wp and their offense? i know yall care about privacy but if someone is like harrassing someone else in pm i'd like to know that before i pm them. and it would create transparency where we know that no one is getting special treatment from mods. its why there's arrest records made public, so that there's no tyranny going on

Having a sheet of warnings, and offences draws back again to the fact that not every warning is some egregious offence, and shouldn't tar a user for life. Airing people's mistakes for everyone to see only creates a witch hunt mentality. I've seen users that haven't learnt from their mistakes and were banned, but I've also seen users that have learnt and grown from past mistakes. Users are people and equate to more than the sum total of their warning points, or mistakes they've made. If you're truly worried about pm-ing someone on OH I would always remind you that you always need to be mindful of what you share on the internet, and who you choose to share it with. If someone is behaving inappropriately in pm do report it, and a mod will handle it. 

#17 shawnee

shawnee

d a y d r e a m

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationOur Spring

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

that sounds awful

#18 Darkchao45

Darkchao45

Saving The Digital World

• The Nation's Admins
  • 8,229 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Smash

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

the staff may have snapped on this one

i love it

ย 

as a token of my gratitude i give you this perfectly skinned watermelon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN08RcQWcAAj...

ย 

amgplz.png How.

ย 

thanks for the clarification.

ย 

First thing is first, we do not share private information on people nor will we disclose warnings we apply.

understandable. still, i wish there was more transparency. i personally have been reporting offensive comments this year. but there's no follow-up message or notification etc.. so for those of us who actually do report comments/threads, it feels like sending a message to the void lol..

ย 

Hmmm, this seems like something we can try out.

#19 VANTE

VANTE

universal bae

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationBT5

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

that sounds awful

no worries just throwing it out there

#20 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationAll over

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

First, I don't want to throw blame in any way or at anyone. I was a ghost on the site for a long time before I joined. When I first looked at OH back in 2016 mods seemed to be more present and involved then they are now. They were always wandering around the site and posting in threads. Now only a few do so. I think that it had a policing effect, in that it made users behave better because they knew that the mods were there. More public appearance of mods might help. Also I genuinely believe that we need more mods. Instead of just asking for volunteers why not ask the general population of OH who they think might make a good mod and approach those users. It might give better results. Maybe a pm survey. I want OH viable as a site for a long time so I hope that things get better for us all.

Up, Up and Away!