Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Anyone here watching Meteor Garden ? (A few Qs also)

Cdrama Drama Random TV Netflix

14 replies to this topic

#1 BubblePopBunny

BubblePopBunny

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBunny land

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

So far I'm loving it (this is my first foreign drama) and I'm on episode 10. I do have a one question, is this show suppose to be an overdramatized drama? ( ex: si pushing the girls and that food to face scene)because I was a bit surprised at those scenes and how agressive si can be

Also any good c-drama recommendations? (Could be like meteor garden also)

#2 Velvet Queen

Velvet Queen

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

to answer your questions yes the show is supposed to be overdramatized in my opinion. it's based off of a manga from the 90s which has since been adapted into multiple tv shows/movies and each version has been pretty dramatic. this version of the story has actually toned down how aggresive si is as in the original meteor garden from 2001 there's a lot more bullying etc

#3 BubblePopBunny

BubblePopBunny

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBunny land

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

to answer your questions yes the show is supposed to be overdramatized in my opinion. it's based off of a manga from the 90s which has since been adapted into multiple tv shows/movies and each version has been pretty dramatic. this version of the story has actually toned down how aggresive si is as in the original meteor garden from 2001 there's a lot more bullying etc

Oh wow I didn't know this was a manga at first thank you for answering!

#4 Chu chu~

Chu chu~

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Location🍑

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

I haven't seen this version but I've seen the Korean and Japanese ones (Japan made the original drama adaptation in 2005) and it was definitely dramatised in those and is supposed to be. I feel like the level of drama differs between the versions too, e.g. I remember more bullying in the Japanese version than the Korean.

#5 Moon Child

Moon Child

Blackjack

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts
  • LocationWalking with Bangtan

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

my fav version is the Japanese version. There is a korean version too. Although it's the same story, they act it differently so I would recommend watching them all haha.

I'd also recommend A love so beautiful drama and Our times movie. Love O2O is meant to be good too, I've yet to watch it yet

#6 Chu chu~

Chu chu~

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Location🍑

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

my fav version is the Japanese version. There is a korean version too. Although it's the same story, they act it differently so I would recommend watching them all haha.

I'd also recommend A love so beautiful drama and Our times movie. Love O2O is meant to be good too, I've yet to watch it yet

I've only seen the Japanese and Korean version, but the Japanese one is definitely my favourite too 

#7 BubblePopBunny

BubblePopBunny

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBunny land

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

I've only seen the Japanese and Korean version, but the Japanese one is definitely my favourite too

I'll have to watch that one too then! Thank u guys for this info. I feel like a newbie in dramas now

#8 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

Yea I've seen a lot of outrage online over that scene, but being someone who is familiar with the story, it didn't bother me. The producer should have thought twice about adding that scene in 2018, but she probably felt it was important to show his character development and she is really following the sequence of the manga closely in this adaption. It's hard to watch it and think it's something that happens in real life when it wouldn't be ok for him to be kicked in the face by her or his sister either. Honestly I thought this version is a lot tamer than the original 2001 Meteor Garden, both in terms of the bullying and his assault.

#9 XiNG4U

XiNG4U

兴迷

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

some scenes in mg2018 made me uncomfortable but i watched a video on youtube that compared similar scenes with old version and i was shocked. 2001 version was too much imo, i'm surprised that it was so popular

#10 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

some scenes in mg2018 made me uncomfortable but i watched a video on youtube that compared similar scenes with old version and i was shocked. 2001 version was too much imo, i'm surprised that it was so popular

It's funny, I've read fans of the old MG being shocked too, guess they deleted those scenes from their memories and only remembered the cute parts. 

#11 blossoms

blossoms

❀⊱———✧✿✧———⊰❀

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Locationong seongwu winked at me once. ive been dead ever since

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:05 PM (Edited by peachyjoon, 22 July 2018 - 05:08 PM.)

Meteor Garden (so far) has been the least violent of the adaptations. Sometimes Boys over Flowers was downright painful to watch. It feels like the writers of Meteor Garden included those scenes to stay true to the manga storyline but they were over a lot quicker than in the other versions. I think this one will be truly different in it's storylines (it already is looking that way!!)

I recommend the movie Our Times

#12 Jurin ❤ Onew

Jurin ❤ Onew

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

it's pretty good but nothing beats the original

#13 Zhang SING fan

Zhang SING fan

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:53 AM

your discussions made me want to watch it lol

#14 Drama Drama Drama

Drama Drama Drama

Idol

• PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

I like all versions.
Each version has its particular grace.
In MG2018 Dylan and Yue have sweet chemistry. The most sweetest of all versions.
I liked a lot the OST songs.

#15 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

I've watched all versions except for the Japanese: so far this version's F4 is the best-looking equally.  In terms of Dao Ming Si's character, I feel like Dylan did the best representation.  I mean, with the Taiwanese ver, I felt like Jerry was childish and bullying to begin with like the manga indicated, but became very sulky towards the end.  Gu Jun Pyo lost his fire and intense character after his failed wedding with the fiancée.  With Mainland's ver I felt Dylan kept up with the original's fiery character, his tantrum and childish behaviour, his sincerity and somewhat outspoken personality.  

AND THE OST WAS ASTOUNDING ahmagahplz.png  I felt anger, sadness, empowerment during moments when music kicks in whether it's Dao Ming Si's spotlight moments or Shan Cai's hardship caused by his mother.

Up, Up and Away!