Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Asian-American candidate slurred by black group of individuals, protesters demand whites "get out of the 'hood"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#121 Artemisia

Artemisia

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

For one, as someone pointed out, by disrupting their businesses. And don't forget that affirmative action was also in place to help minorities, specifically hispanics and blacks, while making it harder for high achieving asians to get into top universities.

how is this systemically hurting asian americans when they have a greater median household income than white americans? (81k vs 61k)

Even with affirmative action in place, asian americans are overly represented in top universities and african americans are underrepresented. the asian american population is 5.6% but for the classes of 2018, they make up 22% at harvard and stanford. That's 4 times greater representation. the reason affirmative action appears to harm asians is because often it is employed to increase diversity on campus, and the reality is that the % of asians on the campuses of top universities is very high.

so again i ask, how is the black american community holding the asian american community back from opportunity?

#122 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:09 PM (Edited by lavender mint, 16 May 2018 - 10:11 PM.)

and dont forget this

Latasha Harlins (July 14, 1975 – March 16, 1991) was a fifteen-year-old African-American girl who was shot in the head by Soon Ja Du (Hangul:두순자), a fifty-one-year-old female convenience store owner from South Korea, who was tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter in Harlins' death.

...that was what I was referring to when I said the infamous 1992 LA riot. It's said that her shooting was what led to the riot.

#123 Artemisia

Artemisia

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

One, blacks’ history with whites is no fucking excuse for assaulting and abusing Asians at school and on the street. It is fucking racism against Asians from blacks pure and simple.

Two, simply opening a store in a black area is oppressing blacks? What kind of economics is that? If Asians knew they needed to stay away from black areas they would never have invested their money there. BTW, those stores owners are almost always first gen immigrants who don’t know better. The American-Born gen, after seeing their parents harassed, robbed and assaulted in those places tend to stay away. We don’t want to oppress you by investing and providing services which enriches every other neighborhood eccept the black ones. Seriously, what kind of fucking economics is this shit?

I'm not saying those Asians know better. I'm not saying they deserve to have their businesses looted and destroyed. They moved to America with pure intentions -  a better life for themselves and their children.

But the way you and others frame these situations of businesses being targeted is completely false. Black people aren't lashing out against Asian people, they're lashing out against the circumstances put upon them by decades of exploitation. it just so happens that asian americans have set themselves up in many of their communities so they become the target.

And yes opening a store does harm the community. If you look at the businesses opened, they're nothing but a drain on the local communities. But this isn't something Asians created. They're just following the capitalist model that existed before their arrival. In a poor black area, you'll find plenty of fast food restaurants, payday lenders, liquor stores, and beauty supplies, all owned by outsiders who take all their earnings out of the neighborhood. What you will never find is a good school, a library, a hospital, and other typical pillars of "good" neighborhoods. Can you imagine how frustrating that must be for the people who live there? Everyone is willing to take their money but no one is willing to spend money to uplift the community. 

An Asian immigrant might open a store up with the best of intentions but that doesn't undo the fact that they are participating in an exploitative system.

#124 thefacts

thefacts

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:18 PM (Edited by thefacts, 16 May 2018 - 10:27 PM.)

Blacks always protest against the racist treatment they receive from Whites and even form an organization that aims to counter the racist treatment they receive but they are racist to Asian and Arab.
Let me give an example how ridiculous this situation,
Lets say there are three kids Kid A, Kid B, Kid C. Kid A bully Kid B and Kid B reports Kid A for bullying. But it turns out Kid B also bully Kid C. So what do you think about Kid B? Hypocrite?

Why aren't you saying anything about the Arab slavery taking place in Libya since you are so concerned about racism and hypocrisy? Aren't you being a hypocrite also?

For one, as someone pointed out, by disrupting their businesses. And don't forget that affirmative action was also in place to help minorities, specifically hispanics and blacks, while making it harder for high achieving asians to get into top universities.

White women are the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action. The law/policy is being protected because it helps white women more than Black or Hispanics. Also, because, it prevent Asian Americans and Asian foreign students from being the majority in all universities. This discrimination against Asians have nothing to do with Black Americans. Go fight this battle with the people who have the real power.

#125 Artemisia

Artemisia

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:26 PM

...that was what I was referring to when I said the infamous 1992 LA riot. It's said that her shooting was what led to the riot.

sorry, i just wanted to bring that story to light. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't aware of it.

#126 PeachyKeys!

PeachyKeys!

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:11 AM

And all the racists of OH took the bait. Shocking.

Up, Up and Away!