❤️Official UNI5 thread for Uni fandom❤️

UNI5 vpop fandom

1720 replies to this topic

#1581 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:36 PM (Edited by SomewhereHere, 14 November 2018 - 03:37 PM.)

I remember we talked about before SAI came out, that they had to adapt to the music scene in Vietnam by doing songs that has ballad element, so the audience can feel relatable to the group. I used to think that mindset was the right course for VPOP artists, so they can get approval from vietnamese. But I now take it back. 

In my opinion, VPOP artists should do a lot more upbeat music and limit the ballad influence as much as possible. Sometimes you have to kind of force people to watch and listen to non-ballad music so they can get used to it if you know what I mean. Young artists like ERIK, Hoa Minzy and Duc Phuc are contributing to the ballad narrative to continue and that stops VPOP from getting away from it, and also be more diverse. 

I get it, ballad has a special for vietnamese audience and will probably remain in the forseeable future. But we're not living in 2000 anymore, it's 2018 now and trendy music should be the main genre in Vietnam. That's why VPOP groups UNI5, LIME, LipB and Monstar should have gotten better reception than what they got now. In order to get more people into it, is just making more non-ballad songs, maybe more groups(I can even tolerate another Zer09 crap) and give an ass what people think. 

A bit off-topic, but back to UNI5: They should go back to the C'mon, XHRX and KCTT style and stop caring what people think about them. SAI, the song we thought were going to get the viet audience to them are now been surpassed by Monstar's comeback already. 6thSense should not be afraid to let them go all out, just like what I mentioned about QPOP groups. 

Kazakhstan are a much worse condition for QPOP to exist, being a conservative muslim country. Ninety One even got death threats from the people, just because they make the music and doing the fashion they like. And let's not talk about how the girl groups are having. 

My point is Vietnam is in a better position to let upbeat and modern pop to thrive in than Kazakhstan, but many artists are scared to do something different. They should look at Son Tung M-TP for inspiration. All his upbeat songs has over 100 million views and his album sales are decent. VPOP groups should also begin making mini-albums. 

I agree that there should be more popular non-ballads songs in the industry, but I don't agree that ballads are old school. Ballads are quite popular in other Asian countries as well, so it's not like Vietnam is alone in liking ballads. There is quite a diverse amount of music available to counter the ballad singers - just not enough people are giving them a listen, so you are right that the general public should be giving other types of music a chance. There is dance which is already quite popular, hip-hop, rap, alternative, etc. 

Erik, Duc Phuc and Hoa Minzy have already established themselves as ballad singers. That's their specialty. Hoa Minzy tried an upbeat pop song, but that didn't seem to be as popular as her latest release. Erik is the only out of the 3 that I can see doing another upbeat song like Ghen, but I highly doubt he's going to influence the general population to change their music tastes. He seems to enjoy singing ballads. We have Toc Tien, Ho Ngoc Ha and Dong Nhi doing upbeat pop music from time to time, but people seem to not really discuss them because they are "older". They do ballads in-between but it's not all the time like Duc Phuc nor Hoa Minzy.

If you are discussing "pop" like Kpop, then yes, we have need to work on that for our groups because that is what sells for younger generation. I believe some of the solo singers have done or are doing Western influenced-pop music. Not on a major scale like Son Tung MTP of course. 

#1582 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

6thSense has shown us they have resources and funds to make high quality MV's and songs. I think it's time for them to recruit more trainees and even artists to their company. They could be the top company in Vietnam if they just want to. 

This is true, but when will that ever happen wthplz.png  

#1583 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationIn The Cosmic Nebular

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:40 PM (Edited by 우중 쓰레기, 14 November 2018 - 04:42 PM.)

I agree that there should be more popular non-ballads songs in the industry, but I don't agree that ballads are old school. Ballads are quite popular in other Asian countries as well, so it's not like Vietnam is alone in liking ballads. There is quite a diverse amount of music available to counter the ballad singers - just not enough people are giving them a listen, so you are right that the general public should be giving other types of music a chance. There is dance which is already quite popular, hip-hop, rap, alternative, etc. 

Erik, Duc Phuc and Hoa Minzy have already established themselves as ballad singers. That's their specialty. Hoa Minzy tried an upbeat pop song, but that didn't seem to be as popular as her latest release. Erik is the only out of the 3 that I can see doing another upbeat song like Ghen, but I highly doubt he's going to influence the general population to change their music tastes. He seems to enjoy singing ballads. We have Toc Tien, Ho Ngoc Ha and Dong Nhi doing upbeat pop music from time to time, but people seem to not really discuss them because they are "older". They do ballads in-between but it's not all the time like Duc Phuc nor Hoa Minzy.

If you are discussing "pop" like Kpop, then yes, we have need to work on that for our groups because that is what sells for younger generation. I believe some of the solo singers have done or are doing Western influenced-pop music. Not on a major scale like Son Tung MTP of course. 

You're right that ballads are still popular in big asian markets like Korea, Japan and China. But it's not their audience main consumption unlike Vietnam. 

The problem is there are as you mentioned, other artists who are doing non-ballad music. But the majority of them are not signed to any label and are independent. Take for example Orange. She and Karik came out with the smashing hit Nguoi La Oi. 10 months later, what have she been doing? Nothing at all. I see the same with other artists. They release something that gets very high views and just disappear. Under these empty spaces, ballads fills in and people's mind are consuming it. That's why I want 6thSense, St.319, DreamS or even Tang Nhat Tue to recruit upcoming indie artists, soloists and trainees. Comapanies has the resources to promote them and make them more versatile in their music direction. So they can fill in and compete against all these same ballad songs that sound exactly the same. And I also believe many of these ballad singers may want to try doing trendy music and 6thSense for example, should give them a chance. Han Sara is a perfect example of that. 

I agree. Out of them three, ERIK has the best potential of doing other type of genres than ballads. I do agree he likes ballad, but something is saying to me he also do it just to become famous. Because he knows it works. Hoa Minzy is suited more to ballad, but I think she should not give up making trendy music. I didn't like Nang Tien Ca at all, but it has 11 million views. That's higher than any VPOP groups videos. Duc Phuc may just be fit for ballads. 

#1584 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

This is true, but when will that ever happen https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...  

Maybe when 6thSense has a clear strategy and direction where they want to go? They can begin to resolve TOKI's situation first. Good or bad, no matter the outcome it has to be resolved. 

I think OCT may take a step down and recruit people who knows how to do music business first. Just being a former artist doesn't make him a expert on how to run a music company. Not saying he should leave, but be like a CEO handling money issue etc. 

#1585 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:14 AM (Edited by SomewhereHere, 15 November 2018 - 11:15 AM.)

You're right that ballads are still popular in big asian markets like Korea, Japan and China. But it's not their audience main consumption unlike Vietnam. 

The problem is there are as you mentioned, other artists who are doing non-ballad music. But the majority of them are not signed to any label and are independent. Take for example Orange. She and Karik came out with the smashing hit Nguoi La Oi. 10 months later, what have she been doing? Nothing at all. I see the same with other artists. They release something that gets very high views and just disappear. Under these empty spaces, ballads fills in and people's mind are consuming it. That's why I want 6thSense, St.319, DreamS or even Tang Nhat Tue to recruit upcoming indie artists, soloists and trainees. Comapanies has the resources to promote them and make them more versatile in their music direction. So they can fill in and compete against all these same ballad songs that sound exactly the same. And I also believe many of these ballad singers may want to try doing trendy music and 6thSense for example, should give them a chance. Han Sara is a perfect example of that. 

I agree. Out of them three, ERIK has the best potential of doing other type of genres than ballads. I do agree he likes ballad, but something is saying to me he also do it just to become famous. Because he knows it works. Hoa Minzy is suited more to ballad, but I think she should not give up making trendy music. I didn't like Nang Tien Ca at all, but it has 11 million views. That's higher than any VPOP groups videos. Duc Phuc may just be fit for ballads. 

I don't believe it's wrong for a country to like ballad music. Vietnam doesn't need to copy other countries. I don't believe that ballads will be the primary genre forever though because we have younger audiences who do listen to other types of music. Music will change over time. Dance pop and rap are quite popular over there as well. Just because it doesn't chart, doesn't mean that no one listens to it. 

Yes, there are are other non-ballad singers who don't release new music consistently because of various issues (money, connections, etc). A lot of ballads get released, but, we do have mainstream artists who release upbeat music as well. Those don't do as well as their ballads, but they still release it from time to time anyway. I would not say ballad is the only thing that people keep putting out. It's probably not the pop that you like and want, but it's not like they don't exist. 

Do I think there is potential for more pop music? Yes. Those 3 companies you listed may be able to help change the type of music being put out there. The 2 that I think have potential are 6th Sense whenever they get their act together and DreamS if they change their music. They have Cara and JSol, and I have no idea what's happening with those two. 

#1586 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

Came out an 1 hour ago:

Think we got to get used to see OT5 from now on unless 6thSense has a big surprise for us. 

#1587 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

I don't believe it's wrong for a country to like ballad music. Vietnam doesn't need to copy other countries. I don't believe that ballads will be the primary genre forever though because we have younger audiences who do listen to other types of music. Music will change over time. Dance pop and rap are quite popular over there as well. Just because it doesn't chart, doesn't mean that no one listens to it. 

Yes, there are are other non-ballad singers who don't release new music consistently because of various issues (money, connections, etc). A lot of ballads get released, but, we do have mainstream artists who release upbeat music as well. Those don't do as well as their ballads, but they still release it from time to time anyway. I would not say ballad is the only thing that people keep putting out. It's probably not the pop that you like and want, but it's not like they don't exist. 

Do I think there is potential for more pop music? Yes. Those 3 companies you listed may be able to help change the type of music being put out there. The 2 that I think have potential are 6th Sense whenever they get their act together and DreamS if they change their music. They have Cara and JSol, and I have no idea what's happening with those two. 

Some underground stuff aren't that bad, like Tuy Am for example. We could say Orange is kind of a underground artist or upcoming one. 

6thSense should recruit indie and underground artists. The company could be diverse and not only for idols. It would get them more attention from the general audience. The same goes for DreamS, ST.319 and others.

If the independent trend continues, I think vietnamese music will suffer in the long-term imo. But as you said, Vietnam doesn't need to copy other countries and if they like the direction, then so be it. 

#1588 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:20 PM (Edited by 우중 쓰레기, 15 November 2018 - 03:23 PM.)

I don't know about you guys, but I think UNI5 should have a comeback next year. Maybe in february? Why I choose february, is because 6thSense needs to re-evaluate the situation conserning their groups, UNI5 and LipB. As much as it pains for to say this, but they need to start from scratch. The directionless strategy they're going for UNI5 isn't getting them anywhere. 

You never know, next year there may be a real effort on creating a VPOP boy group with better results than what we got now. Korea and Japan are beginning to step into the vietnamese market and having things done by their ways. Or perhaps other viet agencies that wants to have groups of their own. I don't want 6thSense and UNI5 to be put in the backseat if that happens. 6thSense should be prepared for these scenarios imo. 

#1589 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

Had this crazy idea, but don't know how realistic it can be. What if RBW and 6thSense did a collaberation, where they added one korean member to UNI5 and made a new song with two versions: One vietnamese and korean, and uploaded on 1thek? Like they did with Jin Ju. 

#1590 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

Had this crazy idea, but don't know how realistic it can be. What if RBW and 6thSense did a collaberation, where they added one korean member to UNI5 and made a new song with two versions: One vietnamese and korean, and uploaded on 1thek? Like they did with Jin Ju. 

I see two options stemming from your idea which don't involve adding a new member to Uni5.

1. 6th Sense and RBW make a new group with mixed Viet and Korean singers.

or

2. A collaboration between a member of Uni5 (or several members) and Korean artists and they promote in both countries.

I don't know about you guys, but I think UNI5 should have a comeback next year. Maybe in february? Why I choose february, is because 6thSense needs to re-evaluate the situation conserning their groups, UNI5 and LipB. As much as it pains for to say this, but they need to start from scratch. The directionless strategy they're going for UNI5 isn't getting them anywhere. 

You never know, next year there may be a real effort on creating a VPOP boy group with better results than what we got now. Korea and Japan are beginning to step into the vietnamese market and having things done by their ways. Or perhaps other viet agencies that wants to have groups of their own. I don't want 6thSense and UNI5 to be put in the backseat if that happens. 6thSense should be prepared for these scenarios imo. 

I agree - early next year is a good time for another release. 

#1591 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:37 PM

Video of Tung Maru's film premiere. It includes an interview with Uni5 and a longer interview with Maru only.

#1592 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

I see two options stemming from your idea which don't involve adding a new member to Uni5.

1. 6th Sense and RBW make a new group with mixed Viet and Korean singers.

or

2. A collaboration between a member of Uni5 (or several members) and Korean artists and they promote in both countries.

I agree - early next year is a good time for another release. 

What about making a temporary group? Having two or max 3 UNI5 members with 3-4 koreans to form a group that promotes both in Vietnam, Korea and elsewhere in Asia. Like a light Wanna One thing. 

#1593 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

Just realize I kind of answered my question to you, if's a vietnamese-korean group you meant. 

#1594 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Some underground stuff aren't that bad, like Tuy Am for example. We could say Orange is kind of a underground artist or upcoming one. 

6thSense should recruit indie and underground artists. The company could be diverse and not only for idols. It would get them more attention from the general audience. The same goes for DreamS, ST.319 and others.

If the independent trend continues, I think vietnamese music will suffer in the long-term imo. But as you said, Vietnam doesn't need to copy other countries and if they like the direction, then so be it. 

My whole point is that we shouldn't judge them harshly because they like one type of music more than others. You can have your opinions and suggestions of course, but I felt it was harsh to judge a whole country's music as backwards just because they don't have trendy music as their music of preference.

We have popular singers trying out trendy music on top of the non-famous singers doing it.  I agree with you that the general public should give trendy music a chance to thrive in a heavy ballad industry. So yes, you are right that they shouldn't be limited to just ballads, but it's not like all people listen to are ballads. We can see some changes happening albeit slowly.

Domestically, Vu Cat Tuong's latest album is pretty diverse and if she wasn't singing in Vietnamese, it sounds like an American or Korean album imo, and Chi Pu worked with Korean artists for her initial debut and that was Kpop inspired (as it was written by Korean producers). Suni Ha Linh's last song is also pretty K-pop inspired. Then we have Monstar who is pretty much a Vpop version of a Kpop group with a distinct sound. They are the only group that has been consistent with music releases and promotions. Bich Phuong's latest song is slow, but it has an electronic sound (idk the right terminology) with an authentic Vietnamese sound if that makes sense. It didn't hit it huge like her last release, but I give her kudos for trying a new sound. 

Internationally, we have the investment of Korean companies like RBW bringing in solo artists into the Vietnamese market and SM and the AKB group making local groups. And you mentioned about Rose Quartz's company possibly investing in Vietnamese members for a new group (?). There are changes happening slowly. There can be some different type of pop music that they can try out, yes, but I wouldn't say they are forever stuck in a ballad industry.

What about making a temporary group? Having two or max 3 UNI5 members with 3-4 koreans to form a group that promotes both in Vietnam, Korea and elsewhere in Asia. Like a light Wanna One thing. 

Yeah something like this would be cool. A temp group. 

#1595 우중 쓰레기

우중 쓰레기

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

Yeah something like this would be cool. A temp group. 

I hope 6thSense will do this. This may be a big breakthrough for UNI5, 6thSense and VPOP in general if that were to happen. Unfortunately, UNI5 would go in hiatus for sometimes, but the benefits for the future can possible be BIG. No doubt if news of a korean-vietnamese collaberation group were to be formed, it will generate a lot of buzz in Vietnam and internationally in the KPOP communities. 

When the members return to UNI5, they will already have a big recognition and they may be for a ride of success. 

#1596 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:26 AM

Update from KO (IG). 

Uni5 should just have a weekly reality show or something weekly on vlive since they don't seem to have a lot of projects this month. Their personalities are more than enough to keep me entertained.

#1597 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:31 AM (Edited by SomewhereHere, 17 November 2018 - 10:43 AM.)

Maru doing a dance cover and some more photos of him from a different promo event for his new film (credit to all uploaders)

I think this is my fave look of his so far and the couple photo is cute.

#1598 SomewhereHere

SomewhereHere

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:50 AM (Edited by SomewhereHere, 17 November 2018 - 10:55 AM.)

Uni5 at Kinglive's Stand by Star event. I don't believe this was on the calendar for them this month.

Nicky from Monstar pointed them out on the poster on his stories....the support for them from Nicky makes me so happy rlytearpls.png

Also, the song turned off during their performance amgplz.png  but the guys were professional about it and kept singing. They sound so good, and I love how Maru and Cody started beat boxing.

#1599 Sour as a LIME!

Sour as a LIME!

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationSai - Uni5

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

I agree, Uni5 should comeback next year and the start can be early next year. If they continue to not do anything big like Lip B, at this rate, their interest will be lost from some of the Vietnamese fans and the international fans. Sai's views has been very dry and Monstar's recent comeback has already surpassed Sai. Nothing against Monstar, just a signal for 6th Sense to start getting a hold of everything together. February's not a bad time to comeback and hopefully, these few months, 6th Sense can prepare and plan out what to do for their artists and Uni5. If they don't comeback sometime in the next few months, I can see history repeating itself, the Lip B situation where they didn't comeback for over a year.

I'm not surprised if there will be any hidden upcoming boy groups next year that are well trained. I also don't want Uni5 to be in the shadows when they start to come out so that's why 6th Sense reallyyyy needs to get a hold of their artists and plan out what they're going to do instead of being all over the place.

#1600 Sour as a LIME!

Sour as a LIME!

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationSai - Uni5

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

Uni5 at Kinglive's Stand by Star event. I don't believe this was on the calendar for them this month.

Nicky from Monstar pointed them out on the poster on his stories....the support for them from Nicky makes me so happy https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Also, the song turned off during their performance https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...  but the guys were professional about it and kept singing. They sound so good, and I love how Maru and Cody started beat boxing.

Wow that title of that video though but that was really professional and a good skill, to keep going even if the song turned off during their performance. They were also so chill about it and then Maru started beat boxing omg. I'm okay with watching the whole performance with only them singing the song and beat boxing . : )

Up, Up and Away!