Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
magiccq91

Official G.E.M Thread

G.E.M X.X.X Live DVD out on November 20th!

http://www.yesasia.com/global/g-e-m-x-x-x-live-dvd-preorder-version/1034459435-0-0-0-en/info.html

One of the youngest female singers to make it to the Hong Kong Coliseum stage, G.E.M. X.X.X. LIVE is G.E.M.'s second solo concert. With an all sold-out record, G.E.M. also traveled to Mainland China, the United States and Australia to answer the enthusiastic requests of her worldwide fans. With an explosive voice and stage presence that is beyond her years, G.E.M. is gradually climbing her way up to becoming Hong Kong's young diva.

This version includes three bonus songs from G.E.M.'s live piano session.

This version comes with a 84-page concert booklet.

nice pics and great news about the dvd. Its so great to have these concerts to look back on in years to come.

GEM will appear on Hunan TV (HBS)'s highly rated show "I'm a singer II" 我是歌手 2 ...

"I'm a singer" is a professional singer reality show/singing competition where an audience of 500 vote to eliminate 1 singer every episode...

the first episode of the 2nd season will air Jan 3, 2014  on which GEM will sing her hit "Bubble"

although GEM is well known to the online community in China and garnered quite a few top 5 hits this year on China's largest music streaming site QQ...

she is far from a household name in China due to her zero exposure in mainstream Chinese media while focusing on only the south east asian market..

This will be her first ever appearance on mainstream Chinese media as she is planning on completely venturing into the Chinese market in 2014 with an all-Mandarin album..

Edited by laiwingnang

I hope a full mandarin album means she will make a full canto record afterwards.

I dont like established singers going on shows like that. Surely theres better ways to promote yourself than doing a competition?

Edited by Lightning

""I'm a singer" is a professional singer reality show/singing competition"

does that mean all the contestants are professional singers? if so then i don't have a problem with it. That actually sounds like it might be a fun show if i was familiar with the contestants. But if it's another Alan thing then no, it's stupid and pointless and she would be taking up some young aspiring singer's spot. 

all mandarin album, really? I agree, there better be an all canto album afterwards. 

Yeah everyone is a professional singer. The actual concept of the show I dont mind, its just the risk of her getting voted off first that worries me as a fan. But I guess if it gets a lot of viewers then either way she will be introduced to a new audience which is their aim so I guess it should work out ok.

Edited by Lightning

Yeah everyone is a professional singer. The actual concept of the show I dont mind, its just the risk of her getting voted off first that worries me as a fan. But I guess if it gets a lot of viewers then either way she will be introduced to a new audience which is their aim so I guess it should work out ok.

oh that's fine then. And i don't think she would get voted off early. I mean i don't know her competition but we all know she can sing, especially in mandarin. 

i edited my post in the turd with a link to Fiona's album btw. 

I just think the other contestants are more known in mainland china going in, but yeah hopefully her voice would make up for that. At least we'll get some live performances out of it haha.

the only reason her manager would get her on the show is its guaranteed nationwide exposure...it's hard to get on any shows/playlist there..

the market is so saturated ...and this is one of the most hyped show, you can't buy publicity like this..

GEM comes from a hong kong indie label after all, her label doesn't have the huge budget nor clout to get her onto movie/tv theme songs or send her on a 40 city publicity tour, this is the quickest way to turn her into a household name overnight...

I'm just surprised that she got on the show since there must be so many artists lining up to get on it...

all I can say is her manager has been really creative in getting her name out there...( i wonder if he had to pay to get on her the show)

a few years ago, she was just an indie artist with a small budget and now she is already getting features on China's biggest music sites and frequently on the top 100 most played artist list there...

she is almost guaranteed to become a household name in China next year with I am a singer..

Edited by laiwingnang

she really has shot up in popularity over the last few years. Even casual cpop fans know of her. This show could do even more for her popularity but my worry is that she's already leaning towards mandarin music than canto, and she might be like Faye or Karen and focus completely on the mandarin side later in her career. I understand the money/popularity aspect and all but still. She should do like Joey and go back and forth. Or continue doing dual language albums, i'm completely fine with that too.

I totally agree about her management. When you consider her record label in comparison to the big ones in hk, she has had a huge amount of success and at such a young age too. Of course her voice and song writing is a huge part of this too. When you look at her age, talent and achievements so far, she really is in a league of her own in hk.

the cantopop industry is on the verge of death...nowdays you seldom see artists coming out with a full album...

90% is EP/minialbum or singles...and there have been almost next to no new breakout artists since GEM (besides the winners from THE VOICE)..and they aren't even that popular...it's a wise move for GEM take a break from the canto market to focus and establish herself in the mainland quick when she still has the age advantage ...and especially with her recent bad publicity in hongkong ...(eg badmouthing the 903 awards, supporting the unpopular HK government, criticising online activists on facebook, etc..) and growing number of antis ..

the reason karen mok abandoned the cantonese market is because ROCK records is no longer operating in hong kong and she was never that popular in the canto market to begin with....faye wong on the other hand said she hates to sing cantonese songs,

Joey Yung has to go back and forth because despite being so well known and media exposed in china, China isn't too enthusiastic about her...she's basically a household name with a small hardcore fanbase there.....she she needs the canto market..

GEM on the other hand is the reverse...she has a good sized fanbase for the little she is known in China..she has more active members on her baidu fangroup than Joey does and getting more streaming points on music sites despite having probably 1/10 the public recognition..

at the present, she is only well know in China to people who follow music closely..

my guess is she will still release cantonese singles in the future, but her main focus for the next little while will be exclusively the chinese market.  She only mentioned about a new mandarin album next year, so don't expect many canto songs or an album from her soon..(.you know how it takes her a while to churn out an album)

Edited by laiwingnang

what is the current problem with HK? I didn't know the music industry was that bad off right now but i have seen articles that their movie industry is very good right now either. An economy or quality thing or something?

I will say that HK movies aren't as good as they used to be or at least good ones don't come out as frequently. I am behind on my HK movies though, i have a handful from this year and last that i need to watch. They aren't doing a good job of developing younger actors either from what i've seen. It's mostly just the established people making the big movies.

thanks for that informative post btw!

it has to do with mp3, zero support from local government since the handover to china and the shortsightedness/pennypinching of the new generation of execs...it all turned into a vicious cycle where quality, investments and talents all deteriorated..

at the end ppl just turned away from cantopop,movies, etc..so they pinch the pennies even harder

and cronyism, award show bribery, etc.. ran amok..,..it's the whole domino affect..the industry is a total mess,

everyone is pulling all stops trying to stay afloat....it's tough to get newcomers these days

because everything the company invested into a newcomer is basically a loan ...the newcomers have to pay it all back..

things have changed...

so right now, the industry is basically a cesspool of nepotism or newcomers from a wealthy backgrounds who

want to buy fame with their dad's money..there aren't many talents or people with charisma coming into the industry...

Edited by laiwingnang

I agree about everything, awesome post. Only thing I would add is just to emphasise the lack of market for cd sales or legal online mp3 purchases. Imo it is that which causes alot of the other problems since theres almost no profit to go around, like there was in the past.

I think Chinese music management companies can make up for that through tours but for hk market thats not economicaly viable and not enough to make up for the lack of music sales.

Saying that I still think theres some cool artists and music being made in hk that's worth keeping up to date with.

I saw her perform and it was so good. The only problem is that I cannot really read Chinese well and I got a few questions.

1. There was a rumor that one of the contestants was already eliminated, who was that?

2. When do we find out about who got eliminted officially?

I saw her perform and it was so good. The only problem is that I cannot really read Chinese well and I got a few questions.

1. There was a rumor that one of the contestants was already eliminated, who was that?

2. When do we find out about who got eliminted officially?

the rumour is either Phil Chang 張宇  or Bibi Zhou 周笔畅  got eliminated...only because of what they said on their blog...but no one really knows for sure..

the first episode is just a warm up round, the elimination happens on the 2nd episode (the one who has the lowest combined audience vote from the first 2 episodes)...and they don't announce it in front of the audience during filming, so nobody knows until they film the 3rd ep or after they air the 2nd ep (whichever comes first)

this show and its impact is huge....G.E.M 邓紫棋 became one of the top searches on weibo and baidu after the broadcast...

and her weibo blog follower went up like 50k in the last few hours

Edited by laiwingnang