Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * - 23 votes

Official Gaon 2018 SOTY thread+ Related Gaon Index charts

iKON mamamoo big bang red velvet blackpink winner twice BTS EXO

472 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you think will win July SOTY? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think will win July SOTY?

1. TWICE (36 votes [31.30%])

Percentage of vote: 31.30%

2. Mamamoo (12 votes [10.43%])

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

3. Chungha (4 votes [3.48%])

Percentage of vote: 3.48%

4. SEVENTEEN (2 votes [1.74%])

Percentage of vote: 1.74%

5. ZICO & IU (42 votes [36.52%])

Percentage of vote: 36.52%

6. Melomance (2 votes [1.74%])

7. Yoon Mirae (2 votes [1.74%])

8. Davichi (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Apink (4 votes [3.48%])

10. Other:pls specify (3 votes [2.61%])

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

11. Gfriend (3 votes [2.61%])

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

12. Seungri (4 votes [3.48%])

13. Crush (1 votes [0.87%])

Percentage of vote: 0.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:06 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 26 July 2018 - 07:28 AM.)

fRAnXva.jpg

qveCELS.jpg

WXm46Y5.jpg

qOwSRBK.jpg
Data source 潇洒光-
*As gaon charts from Sun 12pm KST, the 5 week index in reality reflects 35 days of charting for songs released on Sundays 12pm compared to 29 days of charting for songs released on Saturdays.
*disclaimer: soty winner may not be 100% accurate especially if final estimated 30 day index between #1 and #2 has a very small gap.

For those who are not familiar with gaon awards, they give a SOTY award to the top digital seller of each month, and this is based on the 30 day digital index.

Will update periodically so follow if you are interested smile.png

For those who don't quite trust the gaon digital index due to the obscure formula used, you may want to refer to this thread for a compilation of unique listeners: https://onehallyu.co...3-week-tracker/

#2 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:10 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 19 July 2018 - 06:53 AM.)

Number of songs released per month
OIs816f.png

4Mmbynu.jpg

Full credits to Sweety on 本质棒婊吧

#3 columbarium

columbarium

High Mistress

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Locationfixation

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:24 AM

so this is about song of the MONTH or year? cause SOTY means so of the YEAR

#4 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:27 AM

so this is about song of the MONTH or year? cause SOTY means so of the YEAR

If you look here, Gaon actually awards a SOTY prize to the top song of each month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaon_Chart_Music_Awards

#5 m00diculous

m00diculous

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

Big bang's 1st week is crazy strong, and that'll definitely show this week as well.

As a mamamoo fan, i hope starry night can maintain that number one spot for the rest of the month.

#6 miachu

miachu

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:35 AM

march will go to big bang. gaon monthly awards aren't so much about longevity as they are about initial performance, and big bang already gave themselves a huge head start with week 1 numbers.

#7 Blue_Knight

Blue_Knight

Hanbin's

• PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationKonoha

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

Maybe Mamamoo can get the March. Even if they don't, I feel like they'll have better longevity cause Starry Night is already closing in to Flower Road's ULs.

#8 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:51 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 24 March 2018 - 04:12 AM.)

march will go to big bang. gaon monthly awards aren't so much about longevity as they are about initial performance, and big bang already gave themselves a huge head start with week 1 numbers.

If you watch the charts, the gap between their UL is getting closer each day. They started off with >500k UL difference, now they are down to 50k UL difference. At certain time points, mamamoo has been starting to beat big bang on hourly charts like genie, naver, mnet, soribada despite being released by 1 week earlier. So IMO SOTY March can go either way smile.png

2nhf50z.jpg118hvr4.jpg

#9 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,485 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:13 AM

You can edit the title by clicking on "full editor"

#10 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:14 AM

You can edit the title by clicking on "full editor"

Oooh thanks! Edited :)

#11 Mind_control

Mind_control

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:16 AM (Edited by Mind_control, 24 March 2018 - 04:17 AM.)

You can only win for the month your song is released on right? Otherwise iKON can take February too. They still have around 50m

I think BB will take March let's see tho

#12 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:24 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 24 March 2018 - 04:25 AM.)

You can only win for the month your song is released on right? Otherwise iKON can take February too. They still have around 50m

I think BB will take March let's see tho

Yep they count 30 days from the date your song is released. You cannot win in a month your song isn't released in.

Yup I won't be surprised if BB takes march, they are the king of kpop~ Starry night's being such a beast tho.. I think their ending numbers may be quite close.

#13 Kami the II.

Kami the II.

BlueNose's Precious Daughter

• PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationSuzy's GIF Folder

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

Where is bboom bboom? It is not nominated even  amgplz.png 

I thought it was a nation's hit gone viral...

#14 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

Where is bboom bboom? It is not nominated even  https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Bboom Bboom is ranked #9 at 88,182,751. It hit viral status late January I think.. So it isn't reflected in the first five weeks. Overall, they are up there tho.

Full credits to Sweety on 本质棒婊吧

sx0vph.jpg

#15 NTS

NTS

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts
  • LocationVietnam

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:43 AM (Edited by NTS, 24 March 2018 - 04:44 AM.)

Where is bboom bboom? It is not nominated even https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Because the group was nugu so the song didn’t chart at first & the song didn’t go from 200s to top2 suddenly.

While Gaon SOTY only counts first 30 days data of 1 song. Bboom Bboom’s total yearly number will be good tho

#16 LeSoleil

LeSoleil

Trainee

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:45 AM

Active promotion really do help in chart performance and longevity. At one point Love Scenario was 50k ULs behind Starry Night before the boost from Sketchbook. I wonder how long it can sustain it's longevity now it's been 2 months since the song release and they're done promoting.

#17 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:54 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 24 March 2018 - 04:55 AM.)

Active promotion really do help in chart performance and longevity. At one point Love Scenario was 50k ULs behind Starry Night before the boost from Sketchbook. I wonder how long it can sustain it's longevity now it's been 2 months since the song release and they're done promoting.

I think this is especially so for performance-oriented groups like mamamoo who just captivate audience through their stage performances. They didn't even go on immortal songs this time round, if they had I think the boost would be even bigger. smile.png Starry night didn't go viral though, so props to mamamoo for their good performances shown smile.png I must say love scenario is pretty much a super hit song in korea, everyone is singing it, that would definitely mean it has long longevity.

#18 LeSoleil

LeSoleil

Trainee

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:11 AM (Edited by LeSoleil, 24 March 2018 - 05:12 AM.)

I think this is especially so for performance-oriented groups like mamamoo who just captivate audience through their stage performances. They didn't even go on immortal songs this time round, if they had I think the boost would be even bigger. :) Starry night didn't go viral though, so props to mamamoo for their good performances shown :) I must say love scenario is pretty much a super hit song in korea, everyone is singing it, that would definitely mean it has long longevity.

Mamamoo is definitely one of the best performing groups in K-pop and the song sounds really good. Once the public hear it, it's no surprise they're doing good. I think this time many Koreans find Love Scenario relatable and catchy with a pretty melody. It's the type of song that you'll find yourself sing along at first listen and has great replay value.

#19 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationRadish field

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:25 AM

Mamamoo is definitely one of the best performing groups in K-pop and the song sounds really good. Once the public hear it, it's no surprise they're doing good. I think this time many Koreans find Love Scenario relatable and catchy with a pretty melody. It's the type of song that you'll find yourself sing along at first listen and has great replay value.

Interestingly both mamamoo and iKON are always overlooked and underestimated by ifans. Both songs are bops, I've heard multiple people play the two songs in my own country even (oh yes + bboom bboom as well)

#20 Cytherial

Cytherial

Come at me, b.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • LocationYou could run into miles of unknown distance, climb the highest of mountains, hide yourself in the shadows of fear, sail an endless voyage on unfriendly waters, but I will still find you. And after I do, I'll be your biggest regret.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:33 AM (Edited by Cytherial, 24 March 2018 - 05:41 AM.)

Congrats iKON and Roy Kim! March would be interesting who between BB or MMM would take it. 

EDIT:

Look at iKON on top of the list dominated by girl groups. 

rlytearpls.png

Up, Up and Away!