Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

Do yall know how to help someone suicidal/depressed ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marshmallows

Marshmallows

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:07 PM (Edited by Marshmallows, 13 March 2018 - 01:11 PM.)

I know I know I should probably tell him to go to a therapists but currently it's really not easy to do so due to several reasons.

First of all this person is my best friend and cousin we are the same age and he is gay.
He is really just like any guy his age he loves soccer and plays it and he loves anime and physics (he likes to tell me about time travel theories he's really smart) but he literally can't deal with the fact that he is gay.

He is not even denying it he is just...angry ?
I feel like he can't deal with homophobia especially coming from his friends when they joke about it.
I am probably the only person who knows and that's cause I accidentally discovered a bunch of yaoi mangas on his phone eventhough he said he hates romance mangas.

He also has like 8 videos of soccer players just kissing each other and so asked him why he downloads it if he has unlimited internet data and it unnecessarily takes space he said that if he watched them on YouTube he would get tempted to read the comments (left in arabic) and that would make him depressed.

Anyways he has not been acting like his usual self lately.
His mother said he doesn't even come out of his room to eat.
He sent me a weird text message at 3 am in the night yesterday that left me worried and concerned for him.
He was talking about how death would be easier and all that.

I am really worried but it's really only me who knows about this.

#2 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Be there for him. Let him know that you are there if he needs someone to talk to and he is not alone. If there is an authority figure he can put his trust in, he might speak to them.

#3 Marshmallows

Marshmallows

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Be there for him. Let him know that you are there if he needs someone to talk to and he is not alone. If there is an authority figure he can put his trust in, he might speak to them.

I will try to but pls no authority figure they would try to "cure" him.
I don't trust these people.

#4 Soogi

Soogi

the earth laughs in flowers

• ~ Best of OneHallyu ~
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:20 PM (Edited by Soogi, 13 March 2018 - 01:20 PM.)

don't they have any anonymous hotlines where you live? or online chats with trained volunteers?

#5 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

I will try to but pls no authority figure they would try to "cure" him.
I don't trust these people.

I see. You do what you can then. I pray things will go in positive ways.

#6 Pirine

Pirine

『High Priest of Keysus』

• 2,156 posts

Thats really difficult. I would say just be there for him as much as you possibly can. There are resources and people online he can talk to since you don't live in a place that would be very understanding. I think the key is to make sure he knows that he isnt alone and that there are ways to deal with how hes feeling that dont involve hurting himself or something else drastic.

#7 Marshmallows

Marshmallows

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

don't they have any anonymous hotlines where you live? or online chats with trained volunteers?

In the middle east ?
Lol no not as far as I know

#8 Kookoo

Kookoo

GOLDEN ARMY

• PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

I live in the middle east too so I can totally understand why he's so angry. People here live in another century. But hopefully with time, he'll just come to accept the situation and be less depressed. Until then, you just need to reassure him that there are several others like him here and that he's not alone. Things will get better.

#9 Elia

Elia

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

First of all, I have no professional experience in the field, only my own thoughts and feelings. 

Make sure he knows you're there for him and that you're truly okay with it or he might see it (or himself) as a burden to you too. Try to get him to do activities he likes and as much as you can try to keep him away from negativity. Bad comments, really sad movies and such can really do a lot of harm. 

If you can, subtly talk to him about successful and well seen openly gay people, try to make him see that whatever his dreams and hopes for the future are, they are not incompatible with being gay. I really don't know what else might help but I do hope everything will get better. 

#10 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,178 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

Tell him that things will get better as he gets older! The LGBT movement is making strides continually

#11 Marshmallows

Marshmallows

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Tell him that things will get better as he gets older! The LGBT movement is making strides continually

I already told him this but he told me to not be delusional.

#12 krystalized

krystalized

♥ Krystal & YUI lover ♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

I dont think one can help a depressed-suicidal person. The BEST thing my parents did was force me to start therapy, maybe? Im there / been there and honestly, it comes from your own determination to fight.

Up, Up and Away!