Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
- - - - -

Those who once appreciated American top 40s but left, what will it take to bring you back?

Pop Mainstream Popular Top 40 Trends Groups Visual Idol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 DaeByun

DaeByun

YASUDA KEI IS THE #1 VISUAL HOLE IN IDOLDOM

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

A shift in trends?

More visuals?

More groups/idols?

More rock?

#2 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:33 AM

Mumble rap dying, new interesting pop girls.

#3 Kroos

Kroos

SORCIÈRE

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

giphy.gif

#4 denizen mars

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

oh... I dunno. now that I've got the taste for what kpop has to offer, I'm not sure I'll ever really be 'back' though I still listen to some artists and albums here and there. I just don't see american pop music ever offering the glut of readily available live performances, visually appealing mvs, and challenging choreographies we see regularly in kpop (and to some extent in jpop as well). I listened to american top 40 religiously as a young teen, but also back then my music consumption mostly revolved around listening to the radio and CDs as I didn't have internet (and internet was quite slow and labels hadn't even started uploading mvs officially to youtube, so watching video content was inconvenient even when I did get to use it). It's such a different time and I'm a different person with different preferences.

#5 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,337 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

410697443655680000.gif
ezgif-2-936f8deec5.gif

Music I like.

#6 Green Tea Is Green

Green Tea Is Green

Green Tea is Tea

• PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:05 AM

When the singers start to release bops like these again

Spoiler

And there's a lot more, 00's and early 10's pop music was just too good, now pop music is just boring.

#7 shawnee

shawnee

d a y d r e a m

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:04 PM (Edited by shawnee, 06 March 2018 - 03:05 PM.)

Idk. Top 40 right now is not terrible, just nothing special. God bless Drake for saving us.

#8 Midnight~Circus

Midnight~Circus

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

I was always more into non-mainstream music, neo-soul, U.K. House, Jazz, etc. as opposed to top 40 music.

That being said, Western top 40s music reached a point of no return for me a long time ago. I haven't been impressed with what's popular since 2009.

There were some exceptions here and there but once everyone hopped on the EDM train back in 2011 I lost interest. Since then I've found that a majority of what's trending bores me to tears. 

#9 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

I was always more into non-mainstream music, neo-soul, U.K. House, Jazz, etc. as opposed to top 40 music.

That being said, Western top 40s music reached a point of no return for me a long time ago. I haven't been impressed with what's popular since 2009.

There were some exceptions here and there but once everyone hopped on the EDM train back in 2011 I lost interest. Since then I've found that a majority of what's trending bores me to tears. 

Basically the same.

I would like to see a return to more 80s and 90s sounds. Vocals as well.

#10 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:50 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 18 March 2018 - 06:53 PM.)

I know that music is constantly changing but I miss the 80s, 90s, and early-mid 00s pop sound. Also a lot of songs back then were iconic and memorable--like even if I didn't like a song or the artist/group singing it, at least I would know the words after hearing them only a few times, whether because I've heard it from the radio or because it's one of the songs that was played at school dances. 

Also I'm not a fan of rap music or EDM and American Top 40 these days seem to be dominated by those songs. 

#11 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

same, though for me, I lost interest in American mainstream music since 2007. Even I'm not liking any of the singers I used to listen to in the early-mid 00s (like Kelly Clarkson and Michelle Branch)'s recent discographies. 

#12 grainy

grainy

Idol

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:54 PM (Edited by grainy, 22 April 2018 - 10:00 PM.)

May the trend of adding a random and totally uncalled-for rap into songs ala Havana and Rockabye die a quick and painful death (I know it won't). 

Also maybe more relatable or singable lyrics? Like half the fun of pop songs is karaoke and realistically edm/house/electropop/songs with repeated lyrics is quite terrible for that. 

Look at the difference in hype quality D: And I actually like Clean Bandit too. 

And bring back the pop-punk! There's something really great about everyone in the room screeching along to Bring Me to Life, Dirty Little Secret and Teenagers. 

But I also agree about there not being much interesting stuff to watch. The concerts also, why the hell do I have to wait 2h for a performance to start when there are no special effects etc. and the bands don't deviate from their routines. Also why are they allowed to perform high out of their minds? And if they're not high, why's it a thing to talk about politics?? There are stand out acts like Paramore, but I wouldn't see most of them live twice. 

Tbh, I'm not even a fan of Kpop because it's about the same, except there's more things to watch and more drama. I'm here for the more things to watch, but I don't listen to Kpop regularly. I just got sucked into liking groups by varieties. 

#13 Pradafantaisie

Pradafantaisie

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:11 AM (Edited by glassapplecastle, 25 April 2018 - 08:28 AM.)

I still like some things, right now i like finesse, new rules and havana, the weeknd, taylor and ariana in general. But like  i am only into pop music, and i prefer female made pop music, i can't get into trap music or mumble rap. I think drake and post malone's songs are really boring, and i think ed sheeran is really boring too but atleast he can sing.

#14 rananicolee

rananicolee

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

I get my pop music through kpop honestly. I haven't kept up with top 40 in years. I think the last artists I seriously stanned American pop wise were Lady Gaga and Kesha but now I don't really care for them.

I've been listening to rock music since I was a kid and I pretty much listen to a variety of bands so I don't need one to go super mainstream anyway.

So I guess nothing?

#15 rananicolee

rananicolee

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

May the trend of adding a random and totally uncalled-for rap into songs ala Havana and Rockabye die a quick and painful death (I know it won't). 

Also maybe more relatable or singable lyrics? Like half the fun of pop songs is karaoke and realistically edm/house/electropop/songs with repeated lyrics is quite terrible for that. 

Look at the difference in hype quality D: And I actually like Clean Bandit too. 

And bring back the pop-punk! There's something really great about everyone in the room screeching along to Bring Me to Life, Dirty Little Secret and Teenagers. 

But I also agree about there not being much interesting stuff to watch. The concerts also, why the hell do I have to wait 2h for a performance to start when there are no special effects etc. and the bands don't deviate from their routines. Also why are they allowed to perform high out of their minds? And if they're not high, why's it a thing to talk about politics?? There are stand out acts like Paramore, but I wouldn't see most of them live twice. 

Tbh, I'm not even a fan of Kpop because it's about the same, except there's more things to watch and more drama. I'm here for the more things to watch, but I don't listen to Kpop regularly. I just got sucked into liking groups by varieties. 

Head over to Alt Press to find them! There's tons and tons of pop punk bands popping up now.

#16 onanimaster

onanimaster

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

death of mumble rap and resurrection of generic dance-pop (like 2009-2011's music)

#17 grainy

grainy

Idol

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Head over to Alt Press to find them! There's tons and tons of pop punk bands popping up now.

I'll check it out, thank you! :) 

I wish they were part of the mainstream again though, lived my best angsty years out with them. 

#18 Nasian

Nasian

Trainee

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

It would have to match or exceed the immense level of quality, presentation, production value etc.

seen in Japanese and Korean pop and rock.

Honestly don't see that happening, although I would be glad to be proven wrong.

#19 MVSica

MVSica

♡WJ PLEASE???♡

• PipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Top 40 music is irrelevant to me. I can't see caring about it.

#20 kissxkiss_baby

kissxkiss_baby

Hit You With That DDU-DU DDU-DU ♪

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

When Gaga goes Fame Monster on the hoes

Up, Up and Away!