Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Books that disappointed you?

books

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 i'm not your anti

i'm not your anti

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Are there any books that you had high expectations for that they didn't live up to?

--

For me, I would say Bram Stoker's Dracula. Although I didn't have exceptionally high expectations for it in the beginning (I decided on it because it fit the requirements for a school reading list), nor am I a fan of any vampire books such as Twilight, I thought this would be a good read since I'm into classics and normally like darker stories. As well, I enjoy reading from the time frame this was set in. 

However, what I got was an extremely uneventful and unnecessarily long story about a bunch of around middle-aged, Christian, white guys simply talking about how they wanted to kill Dracula and discussing how horrible he is. There was relatively no action in it besides the first quarter, and Dracula legitimately lived in the house next to  the main character's. To make it worse, the only good character in the book, Dracula, wasn't really in it besides the first few chapters. The interaction between Mina and Dracula was seriously disappointing as well, I wasn't expecting a romance or anything, but I expected there to be something else between the two. 

The only romantic part of the book was the scenes between Dracula and Jonathan Harker, yet even those didn't last long. 

I was heavily disappointed in that book, I expected it to have a lot of action and not just be some metaphor for traditional sexual values. 

#2 la luna

la luna

𝔯𝔦𝔑𝔒 𝔬𝔯 𝔑𝔦𝔒

• ~ Best of OneHallyu ~
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

A Storm of Swords tbh

#3 AvΠ°1

AvΠ°1

✧ο½₯゚:* :𝐼 π’₯π“Šπ“ˆπ“‰: *:ο½₯゚✧

• PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

The Alchemist, The Shack.. I'm not reading motivational course book recommendation ever again

then, The Shadow of the Wind, the most boring book like ever

#4 γƒˆγƒˆγƒ­

γƒˆγƒˆγƒ­

Idol

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

A Storm of Swords tbh

How????

#5 Pleasure

Pleasure

kiss me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

The Book of Mei.

It was disappointing because she didn't end up with Rina in the end. She ended up with this person named Kina. Leading up to the climax it was very interesting because Mei would show her love to Rina but it didn't last. There is a part two coming out soon apparently about her life with Kina. I hope it flops because the first one only got on the best sellers list because it involved cranberries. Sigh. I had all these high expectations because I wanted to enjoy a genuine love story that involved a bit of salads and maybe orange juice. I thought it would be the best of any book out there. The plot lets you down like nothing else will in your life. I would not recommend this book. I rate it 2/10. 

#6 dinΠ°

dinΠ°

my name is dina

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

way too much to count

#7 tipsy love

tipsy love

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

The Edge of Never by J. A. Redmerski

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Easy by Tammara Webber

#8 memeyoongi

memeyoongi

Actually, don't stop him

• PipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

TFIOS cause it was honestly pretty boring and divergent cause it was every teen-sci-fi-the world is ending trope in a book. Also Lord of the rings is a pain in the ass to read cause I hate it when the author takes 3 pages to describe the scenery. 

#9 la luna

la luna

𝔯𝔦𝔑𝔒 𝔬𝔯 𝔑𝔦𝔒

• ~ Best of OneHallyu ~
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

How????

I think it's just my personal preference really. Everyone and their mothers was hyping this book tf up. So I obviously had high expectations for it. What makes it even worse is that I really liked the previous two books as well so it felt like a slap to the face when I read this book. It made me feel bored out of my mind - yes a lot of big things did happen - the red wedding, the purple wedding etc etc etc. but it just felt lacking. I was so sick of having to read about Jon fucking Snow, I thought I was going to lose my mind by the end of the book but I somehow made it through. I had to take breaks in between because that's how bored I got, whereas with the first two books I didn't take any breaks (that's how addictive they were). I even preferred A Feast for Crows over A Storm of Swords. 

#10 laevis

laevis

Idol

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

13 Reasons Why.

I read it years before the TV show came out and I could not for the life of me empathize with Hannah Baker and her whole revenge suicide plot. Everyone was praising it left and right for being THE book about mental illness and as someone who is mentally ill even as a teen I didn't buy into Hannah's bullshit. 

#11 Hide&Seek

Hide&Seek

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

Honestly, I can't remember the title of the book. I read it at first because it was interesting at the start but it started to get draggy and boring and the ending was just plain

#12 ja7vip

ja7vip

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Anna Karenina - it's a classic and like > 800 pages but I was determined to finish it.  I did but just cuz I was determined to finish it.   

Oh and the only movie that I enjoyed more than reading the book was The Firm (book by John Grisham; movie starred Tom Cruise). The book wasn't bad but I thought the movie was better.  

#13 Soogi

Soogi

the earth laughs in flowers

• ~ Best of OneHallyu ~
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

13 Reasons Why.

I read it years before the TV show came out and I could not for the life of me empathize with Hannah Baker and her whole revenge suicide plot. Everyone was praising it left and right for being THE book about mental illness and as someone who is mentally ill even as a teen I didn't buy into Hannah's bullshit. 

was gonna say this exact thing. i couldn't stand hannah and the main character was so bland i don't remember his name. actually, i don't even remember him doing anything other than listening to the tapes. weak

TFIOS cause it was honestly pretty boring and divergent cause it was every teen-sci-fi-the world is ending trope in a book. Also Lord of the rings is a pain in the ass to read cause I hate it when the author takes 3 pages to describe the scenery

tbh. especially when you have a short attention span

augustus waters is so pretentious, he made my blood curl. i don't understand the hype

#14 Glissando

Glissando

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

The Road. It was a post-apocalyptic prose piece about this man and his son that my English teacher assigned because he loved it. I have a lot of respect for that teacher but I remember finishing the piece and being like "That was it?" 

#15 Soogi

Soogi

the earth laughs in flowers

• ~ Best of OneHallyu ~
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

i lived for percy jackson but heroes of olympus was really bad. rick riordan tried too hard to be hip and the humor was kinda forced. leo was too good for this series

#16 Tam Tam

Tam Tam

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

#17 Aearom

Aearom

β™š Jaeholic β™š

• PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

That famous John Green book
And the Percy Jackson first part ... I hated both and couldn't finish the second...

#18 Hikoboshi

Hikoboshi

Idol

• PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Face Thief by Eli Gottlieb and White Lies by Jeremy Bates. They started out great but loses coherence towards the end until it just sort of leaves you hanging and not in a good way. 

#19 jiayou

jiayou

δ½ ε’Œζˆ‘

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

The Book of Mei.

It was disappointing because she didn't end up with Rina in the end. She ended up with this person named Kina. Leading up to the climax it was very interesting because Mei would show her love to Rina but it didn't last. There is a part two coming out soon apparently about her life with Kina. I hope it flops because the first one only got on the best sellers list because it involved cranberries. Sigh. I had all these high expectations because I wanted to enjoy a genuine love story that involved a bit of salads and maybe orange juice. I thought it would be the best of any book out there. The plot lets you down like nothing else will in your life. I would not recommend this book. I rate it 2/10. 

luckily there are 9 books in the series, so i'm sure you will enjoy one of them.. i heard the last one is the best of all, but i don't want to spoil too much, you'll have to read it to find out ^_^

#20 Sooyoung's Wife

Sooyoung's Wife

fight me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

The Great Gatsby. I thought Gatsby was gonna be this really cool, mysterious character and he turned out to be super lame and awkward with Daisy and it just ruined the image I had built up from the beginning of the book. I didn't care for the story either.

Up, Up and Away!