Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Romeo

Light Novel Recommendation Thread

Recommend your favorite light novel series so that others can decide what to pick up next!

-----------------------------------------------

Title: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Supernatural
Summary:

Spoiler

The series is set in a world where magic exists and has been utilized as a technology for nearly a century. Rather than casting spells with chants or other traditional forms of spellcasting, mages use a Casting Assistant Device, better known as a CAD. Mages infuse the CAD with psions or thought particles (a substance-less particle and psychic phenomenon) while the CAD itself provides an activation sequence, which is then used to construct a magic ritual in order to invoke the magic. This magic ritual targets the Idea, the platform on which Eidos are recorded. Eidos refers to a form of information that is attached to a phenomenon. Modern magic uses false signals to manipulate the Eidos of a target, which in turn modifies the phenomenon and causes physical changes in the real world.
In 2095, Tatsuya Shiba and his sister Miyuki Shiba are new students enrolling at the Private Magic University Affiliated High School (First High School). Students are ranked according to their test scores: students with the best grades are designated "Bloom" and enrolled in the Course 1 curriculum, while those with poor scores are designated "Weed" and enrolled in Course 2. Miyuki topped the entrance exams and is selected to be the first years' representative, while Tatsuya is placed in Course 2 due to his low practical test score, despite scoring the highest in the written portion of the exams.

Opinion: If you can look past the hints of the bro/siscon in Tatsuya and Miyuki's relationship (which does kind of get explained further down the line), this series is an amazing one. The novel is extremely detailed and descriptive when explaining all situations, and the author thought the series out well because as long as you grasp the concept of the world, everything does make sense down the line. The world it is set in is an extremely interesting one, with the novel almost all characters have well developed characterization throughout the series so far

Title: Campione!

Genre: Action, Comedy, Harem, Fantasy, Romance

Story Synopsis:

Spoiler

He is a supreme ruler.

Since he can kill a celestial being, he can therefore call on the sacrosanct, divine powers wielded by the gods.

He is a lord.

Since the power to kill a deity is in his hands, he therefore looms over all mortals on Earth.

He is a devil.

Since of all mortals who live in the world, none can assume a power to match his!

Kusanagi Godou, a 16 year old boy who played in the senior league as catcher and fourth hitter (that is, the cleanup) when he was in Junior High. However, an injury put an end to baseball.

Though that was not the end for him. During the spring break of his third and last year in Junior High, he got involved in an adventure and ended up slaying one of the Heretic Gods, Verethragna. Thus, he became the youngest (and seventh) Campione.

Now that he is a Campione, a godslayer, the young Godou must defeat the troublemaking gods, with the help of his followers!

Opinions: Not exactly sure why I enjoy this one, but it's a really nice read. The storyline itself is interesting, though the fanservice can get a bit much. Also, I'm just weak to stories about mythology and gods.

• Like 2

My absolute favorite LN series is Gosick, but Tokyopop dropped it after releasing the English translation of the second novel.

I also love Campione.

+1 for Mahouka! Like my fave LN series (one of the only I've read tbh) and it's just super good~

Hmm, i've been reading SAO but i'm not too sure if i would recommend it though i do enjoy it a lot.

But +1 for Mahouka.  Such a well made story.  I always disliked incest stories but Mahouka's take on it is different than the usual kind and i doubt it's gonna happen in the end anyways with dengeki Bunko's pressure.

I'm gonna be starting one out of these four next : Toaru Majutsu no Index, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Kagerou days or Oregairu next.

Edited by IceHism

250px-Log_Horizon.png

Log Horizon

By its eleventh expansion pack, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Elder Tale (エルダー・テイル Erudā Teiru) has become a global success, having a following of millions of players. However, during the release of its twelfth expansion pack: Novasphere Pioneers (ノウアスフィアの開墾 Nōasufia no Kaikon), thirty thousand Japanese gamers who are all logged on at the time of the update, suddenly find themselves transported inside the game world and donning their in-game avatars. In the midst of the event, a socially awkward gamer called Shiroe along with his friends Naotsugu and Akatsuki decide to team up so that they may face this world which has now become their reality along with the challenges which lie ahead.

Mahouka and Log Horizon!!
SAO is great but not even close to those 2
Index is supposed to be really good tho I havent read it yet

I'm currently reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and I really like it. Its also the first light novel I ever read, tho watching the anime is obviously more enjoyable.

The Twelve Kingdom Series is really good. Most of the notable books in the series have been translated and are available on the net for free.

decided to start reading mitou shoukan blood signs and oregairu.  So far they are really good.

I'm on the 4th novel of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a really fun light novel, I totally recommend it  :smile:

I will recommend romance and comedy series

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - If any of you watched the anime, I will suggest you to read from vol7 onwards. I will also suggest volume 5.5 if you like the 2nd main couple. 

Sayonara Piano Sonata 

Does anyone know any good gay themed light novels? I just played one called 'Bacchikoi' (though it has some rather x-rated moments and some of the characters looked suspiciously young though they are all 18 :imstupid: ) and it was really good.

That's a visual novel

To anyone who's looking for an actually well-written and thrilling LN check out Utusuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (HakoMari in short). This LN is not ranked #2 on MAL with 9.15 without a reason, it's just amazing

Edited by Bluuuue

Stumpled upon this gem while reading HakoMari because they both have the same translator on BT

250px-Gekkou.jpg

Gekkou, or "Moonlight", is about the peculiar relationship between a cynical boy and a perfect girl. Said cynical boy is Nonomiya who spends day in day out in boredom, taking refuge from his dull life in his imagination. One fateful day, he happens upon the notebook of the much-rumored beauty Youko Tsukimori, neglected on the ground. Poking out from it is a scrap of paper with the unexpected title "Murder Recipe". His interest ignited, he immediately stuffs it into his pocket, only to find out the promising recipe contains nothing but scenarios that may or may not lead to deadly accidents, not even worthy of being called a plan. When he tentatively asks her about it the next day, she hasn't lost anything. But then her father dies. An accident...

(Source: Baka-Tsuki)

From the sypnosis this LN may come across as a mystery LN. While this is true considering the fact the whole book revolves around a murder, frankly speaking you should treat the mystery part merely as a plot device, otherwise you will just be doing yourself a disservice. Much like HakoMari, the characters are without doubt the driving force of the LN. they are all well-written and highly-interesting characters who act on their own reasoning and philosophy it's really entertaining to just see their interactions with each other, I particularly love the doubtful and unusual approach of the MC on the female lead Tsukimori, heck, because of that i see this book more as a really unique and interesting romance LN than anything, i mean he downright rejected her from day one :lol: . I also love the fact it retains a constant relaxed and comedic aura. The writing is great and concise you will yourself flying through the pages, the dialogues are also very well-written.

Gekkou is the one LN that i will definitely recommend to anyone, especially the beginners since it's only one volume. If you're new to LN and don't know what to read and find the 10+ volume LNs off-putting (like me), do give this one a try because it's fantastic

Edited by Bluuuue

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet but Mushoku Tensei is one of the few completed series that actually has some sorta plot development and character growth.

It was something that left me really hollow for the following few days after I was done marathon-ing it but that's how emotionally attached you get to some characters.

https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Mushoku_Tensei

Mahouka was my first LN i read and it's still one of my fav. Highly recommend!

The other that i really enjoyed is No Game No Life.

And finally my current absolutelly fav is The King's Avatar.

It's a very refreshing take on the whole MMO theme novels as it's the only one with e-sport atmosphere. A must read if you'd like to experience the journey of the top-tiered "Glory" player Ye Xiu who is kicked from the pro team and whose goal is to get back at the top.

What makes this story stand out is the characters. The MC is ridiculously intelligent and gifted at gaming. Each character has their own distinct personality and they evolve as the story goes on. Add in the fun and comic relief moments which are expressed naturally and will make you crack a big laugh everytime there is one.

You can read it here http://gravitytales.com/novel/the-kings-avatar

Edited by Seya

Should definitely refer to NovelUpdates. 

For Japanese ones usually novels like Konjiki no Wordmaster and Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken.

For Korean ones things like The King of the Battlefield, Everyone else is a returnee and Seoul Station's Necromancer.

As for Chinese ones I like ones on cultivation such as The Desolate Era and A Will Eternal. Also a light hearted one I really like is Pet King (really underrated novel in the sense that not many people seem to know it).