Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Yggdrasil

Which male idols do you think are gay?

Posted (edited)

It’s pretty safe to say Suho is at least an ally for us! During a video call as part of his new solo promote, he congratulated the fan (not sure how they identify, presumably female) on their upcoming marriage to their girlfriend 😭

Now Twitter is all about "Gay rights! - Kim Junymeon" 🥺

Spoiler

Hi folks!! I know this thread is wary on new contributors, so here’s a little note about me. I’m queer female identified, and have been a very long time lurker herer (yes I remember the moving-to-discord days) and used to be active on the Sehun thread way back. Currently I'm keeping a close eye on Johnny, Jeno, Suho, and Sehun 💚

Edited by 3/4illustrator
embed tweet instead of url
  • Like 8
  • Love 15

Posted (edited)

Here’s the follow up video (no sound though) of Suho’s reaction on the fan telling him they are getting married! I’m in tears 😭😭

Edited by 3/4illustrator
hopefully fixed the tweet embed issue now :/
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I’ve no solid receipts for NCT and the following is purely based on my observations plus gut feelings. 

Taeil - questioning 

Johnny - "straight" but will take offers

Taeyong - queer for sure, possibly gay and/or ace who can act and perform very well sensually for camera 

Yuta - possibly bi/straight

Jaehyun - “straight” but open for anything

Doyoung - possibly gay/bi (I’ve huge respect for him being an ally!)

Jungwoo, Ten - highly likely gay

Mark - likely straight? but his mixed reactions to skinship is confusing

Jeno - exploring; his care for Jaemin seems very suspicious and way overboard even as best friends

Jaemin - also exploring; I kinda agree with the tumblr post that he is a step ahead of Jeno in his sexuality exploration

The rest are presumably straight and I don’t know enough about WayV...

—————

By the way does anyone know if MMTG host Jae Jae is or suspected to be lgbtq+? NCT127 was on her show recently. This sounds shallow but she seems to dress quite androgynously for a Korean woman, and she posted a photo of her (?) phone case with a rainbow charm on Instagram 🤔

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-jHwR2Ds4W/

Edited by 3/4illustrator
edited for clarity
  • Like 2
  • Clown 3

So what's the thread's latest consensus on Johnny, Jaehyun, Jeno, and Jaemin? I'm getting more confused as each day passes.

7 hours ago, Bushi said:

With respect imo, no truly 'straight' man will take an 'offer' and certainly not plurals of it. 

Sorry I didn't mean it that way - will edit my previous post to make it more clear. If I've to pick a number from the Kinsey Scale, I'd say 1 or 2 for John?

Spoiler

Sometimes I've mixed feelings with the Kinsey Scale or similar mapping tools. They are useful for people to understand certain parts of human sexuality, but only to a certain degree; not to mention you can further break down orientation/sexuality to romantic interest, physical and sexual attraction, etc. Personally I've been all over the map within the past 15 years, from thinking I was straight during my teenage year, to being full on lesbo as a young adult, yet discovered kpop and Suho/Johnny got me lusting over guys again... so now I just use the queer umbrella term as I'm tired of trying to fit myself into a number or specific identity.

4 hours ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

as for jaehyun, that man gives off strong bisexual energy with very clear kinkiness preferences. i'll get knocked sideways if he turns out to be straight.

Totally seconding the kinky part! He's a free spirit and even his natal chart said so, but will continue to appear as "straight" on surface for most parts. It's difficult to read him 🧐

2 hours ago, poeticbeauty said:

Yeah, I see a lot of complains because JH doesn't do much heart eyes towards TY as he used to,  there are still subtleness in their interactions and I think the fans enjoy that detective work regardless.

Any additional tea on Jaehyun? While I've listed him as “straight” but open for anything and definitely kinky, I almost see him as a stone statue, platonic and distant from everything. Also I remember someone mentioned before that he appeared to be so much gayer back in rookies era?

Since NCT is the hot topic atm and because I follow them, any thoughts on this? Is Yuta the ultimate queer Japanese boy? Is Mark just shy hence the gay-panic?? This is quite contrasting to their long cozy friendship hug on Glamour last year.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, skelten said:

i know this is old news, but i’m still laughing at how sm brought taeyong to a well known gay club in south korea for his superm photoshoot, but then photoshopped the word gay out from the wall.

I read back then that it was taken at a gay club, but never knew they photoshopped the gay word out 😳 No wonder I always thought it was weird that the spot was kinda empty!

On 4/10/2020 at 1:44 AM, taeyong's panicked scream said:

i wonder if they read any fanfiction out of curiosity

Yuta definitely looks like the type who would read fanfics or fancomics imo 😏

Also does my sharing of this slow-mo video count as sensualizing the NCT norm? 🤣 

Edited by 3/4illustrator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

things got out of hand on the original video though lol

1 hour ago, Acapella said:

It’s definitely shipping culture that’s making it go wild. Add on to the fact that Doyoung and Haechan specifically weren’t being filmed so it makes it seems more real and like they have a hidden relationship.

Right... totally forgot about shipping culture 😥 Now I feel bad perpetuating this little moment... I hope they won’t get bashed by homophobic fans or antis, as we all know how people can twist the convo and make sh!t up. 

On the other hand though, does any of you think the editors miss this by accident, or SM semi-intended in showing the queer bait content?

On 4/15/2020 at 1:29 AM, taeyong's panicked scream said:

historic insight related to the joseon era. basically there used to be a type of "male kisaeng" called "namsadang", male prostitutes that served nobleman.

This is off topic from Heechul's comments but I read the entire article on "namsadang", and I'm curious if the noted historian Richard Rutt, had any bias or misinterpretation on the local culture and practices. While I'm not familiar with his work, I'm wary as someone with a Cultural Studies background - is Orientalism (a way of seeing that imagines, amplifies and distorts differences of "foreign people" through the lens of westerners) at play? All the accounts noted in the article seemed to be "westerners", and while their observations could very well be true, I'll keep my skepticism.

Alas, I do agree with you that namsadang is a possible root that leaded to the current culture. Also sorry if I don't really have a point here except being super critical on everything hah.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, lighterxx said:

"Additionally, societies with Confucian influence often value group harmony over an individual’s freedom. In this cultural environment that prioritizes the collective good over the individual, one would expect social pressure against coming out since it would likely disrupt harmony."

Basically being able to have no kids=disability for them, even if you are not gay and lets say, you have some issues of having baby, you are useless in a sense. 

Bingo. It's all about your duty as a person who can father a child. Your sexual orientation and practises are irrelevant as long as you can produce offspring. I mean, that's one of the reasons why there are so many gay men in China who entered hetero marriages to fulfill their "ultimate" duties 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Oh since someone has posted about Ten and Mark is a question mark here hur hur on the pun, here’s his butt and you are welcome. 

Edited by 3/4illustrator

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2020 at 11:40 AM, Libby21 said:

I love when taeyong said himself that it was a gay bar and he also said it is his favorite place 😂😂😂 .. Sm has always been shady I mean they took a video down and edited it because a fan was holding the word lesbian for the nct tour 

SO THAT'S THE REASON why I never made it to EXO Tourgram or concert videos despite being at the front in NYC! They must have cut me out because I was holding and waving a super gay rainbow Vivi fan 😂 (Vivi is Sehun's white fluffy pup, and back then he posted a lot of Vivi content on his insta)

Spoiler

Edited by 3/4illustrator
sorry should have put large lG embeds under spoiler
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, skelten said:

does yuta have a thing for mark or something lol? this isn’t the first time i see him acting flirty with him

It seems like the yumark ship suddenly sailed since this Kick It comeback? They had the intimate friendship hug in Glamour and the deep talk over dinner on 24Hr Relay videos late last year, but now Yuta is flirting with Mark every second. I'm suspecting that SM had asked them to push the ship, and obviously Mark wouldn't initiate so Yuta does the job.

9 hours ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

i don't wanna trust him too much, but something i thought would be funny to point out is that rutt talks about the hwarang (the original flower boys group that inspired the drama featuring taehyung, minho, etc lol) and the article named Homosexuality in ancient and modern Korea describes that the hwarang "offers the clearest example of ancient homosexuality in Korea". the writers of this article are koreans and one of them comes from a theological uni, but it didn't seem like there was any sign of religious speech (it wouldn't be published if there was i guess).

edit: found this pretty expensive but pretty interesting book called queer korea and i saw something about ancient queerness

Thanks for the article and book recommendation! I've added them to my reading list. Glad to have someone here who enjoys deep convos that sparked from our common interest on kpop idols and related things.

8 hours ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

i was hoping that yuta would look at jaehyun at least once because he is the one who got hearty eyes for him but is always low key about it.

You've gotten me very curious on Jaehyun's non-straightness. I'm wondering if there are records or evidence of him checking out women in music/awards shows, fan signs, etc 🤔

2 hours ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

damn i don't like to be on camera but it sounds frustrating anyway smh

Nah I was just joking and rather keep a low profile. Don't need to out myself to the world that I'm obsessed with a handful of beautiful boys/men, and also possibly tampering someone's career. I'll keep my speculations and opinions here 🤐

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, taeyong's panicked scream said:

oh i'm glad my random topic sparked your interest, i don't usually talk to people about things like that anymore because my friends are busy and i study languages in uni so there's not much space to do it. 

there's a video of jaehyun checking a fan's butt back out back in 2016-ish? saw it on twitter ages ago and now i can't find it anywhere, but i'm sure it exists. maybe fans just chose to burry it for some reason.

I've one other kpop fan friend who enjoys looking at idols critically, but the rest are just fans and nothing more. I guess I do enjoy analyzing representations (well idols' curated image and their oops-this-is-the-real-me moments) and not just fall into the default consumerism? But yes I need to see fetus Jaehyun checking out female fan's butt! He was 19 in 2016 🤔

On 4/18/2020 at 4:38 AM, Libby21 said:

For Dream I think they're still young and it gets confusing to determine 

On 4/18/2020 at 4:48 AM, Thatoneuser said:

Like I said before lets stop using the young excuse for nct dream. They're all 18+ I mean you guys really can't tell if someone is GAY AT 18. like comeon.

To give Libby21 some merit, I'm a late bloomer who thought I was straight until I fell for a gay male friend later in university, and he inspired me to start questioning same sex interests. But then I'm cis-female so I've no idea how cis-male are wired 🤷‍♀️ Dreamies are confusing... their age, partially, and their relatively lengthy time being in the spotlight do affect their actions and our reading of them.

Edited by 3/4illustrator
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cristallodineve said:

We all know that Korean culture is all about skinship and "just bros" attitude, but I always had the strong feeling that, if everything is kept behind closed doors and it's not fed to the public, then it's not a problem at all.

[...]

I was very excited when I learned that Taeyong was going to be in SuperM, even if I hated that he was getting overworked, since he would get closer to some senior idols of him who probably are more in touch with the way they perceive themselves. I strongly believe, in fact, that Jongin, Baekhyun and Taemin, if not queer themselves, are at least allies. I think being together with these people could do nothing but good to him.

High-five fellow noona fan 🙌 Thank you for your detail analysis on Taeyong and others around him. I totally agree with what you've written, especially the above. If our suspicions are correct, I'd feel terrible for TY... he's the type who would keep everything within himself just for his group and the company. Just wondering what did you see in TY that's different before and after the SuperM tour/promotion?

Also when you've a chance, please share your insights on other NCT members, and kpop idols you follow. I'm very curious on your thoughts!

7 hours ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

what i know about japan is that it is by default a very conservative country just like other asian countries, but there are aspects points out to japan's younger generation being a little bit more liberated than young people in korea. i personally think the 80s/90s played a big whole on how japan's youth culture works nowadays.

Definitely seconding this. I'm not Japanese but grew up with Japanese media since childhood and had lived in Japan briefly as a teenager in the 00s. While I couldn't pinpoint concrete examples that made Japanese adolescents different from folks in other Asian countries other than the ones you've noted, I felt it in person through interactions with my social circle and living environment there versus home. Cultural shock was no joke!

2 hours ago, cristallodineve said:

I could totally picture Taeyong and him having somewhat deep conversations at night in hotel rooms and so son. 

I think Taeyong is guarded just as usual, but in this comeback he shone more than ever! I am referring to one of the latest videos we got from SM, the behind the scenes of the recording of Kick it, where the staff asked for his opinion and showed respect for him and his work. Also, those tattoos he got, UNDER and STAND, and the meaning behind them, this is not just something that anybody would put on his skin. I think he started wondering more about his true self, his goals and expectations from life in general. 

Oh right when Baekhyun and TY (and someone else?) did a live together when they were overseas for SuperM... I think it was IG live but they were taking about candles?? Anyway it was cute to see those two queer boys together.

What's the tea on TY's tattoo? I admit I don't follow him closely so any info will be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, RMPA said:

When this happened? About Radiostar program?

1 hour ago, cristallodineve said:

Sorry, I didn’t remember the exact show, it was the Vlive/Osen, especially during the acting contest game when it was Doyoung and Taeil's turn. Also there's this little moment when Taeyong looks tired and suddenly leans his head on Jaehyun's shoulder but now I can't find it anymore 😡 

Here's the original video; subtitles can be turned on at the lower right corner. I watched this over a week ago so it might be the episode before or after in the playlist. Also not sure if I saw the TY tired moment - or maybe the version I watched it was already edited out.

https://m.vlive.tv/video/185375/playlist/103141

My memory is failing me - Is the guy on the right Suho's rumour theatre actor bf? If yes this means they are still together good friends? I thought they parted as I haven't seen him in the picture for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Thatoneuser said:

On the subject of WayV. I feel like Kun is straight but there is something very gay about him. Like he's straight but all the ingredients are there.

I just need to bring this back. B-b-beautiful Kun 🥺

10 hours ago, burntgucci said:

Something that's also suspicious to me (and has been for a long time) is that K-fans will go out of their way to avoid mentioning Donghwan and have done so for years, like when they tweet posts about which of Suho's friends have posted pictures of his album or something, Donghwan's above past will be left out, he's been cropped out of group pictures etc.

I also think the current resurgence is due to the fact that Suho will be going to the military soon, so I almost feel like there's been so much stuff about them recently to "get it out of the way", so to speak.

This makes a lot of sense that k-fans are trying to protect him 🥺😢 But Donghwan's sister-in-law just fed us the content so 💁‍♀️ I'm happy that Junmyeon is happy.

5 hours ago, nuclearwalrus said:

What is this??!! Is he just rubbing into our faces now or what 😒

On a more serious note, does this alter anyone's opinion on Jungwoo and/or Jaehyun?

Posted (edited)

I've yet to watch the whole episode, but here's a cut of Taeyong's video message to Doyoung.

TY's "after we become elders, let's go to nursing home together as well" made me think they (or at least TY himself) are indeed queer or non-heteronormative. I see his message as a subtle indication that he anticipates that he'll be "single" forever and won't be living with spouses or kids in his later years 😢💔

Spoiler

Here's the whole video with other members:

Edited by 3/4illustrator
fixed broken link
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Tea 1

1 hour ago, Libby21 said:

I thought of that as well , TY always avoids heteronormativity .. that video was so wholesome too 😢

18 minutes ago, taeyong's panicked scream said:

really hit me hard.

this is not something you say randomly as a joke as korean people tend to say it to their loved one, it's quite a cheesy line like a line in a k-drama, hence why taeyong let a tiny laugh out, yet he knew what he wanted to express and tried to do so in a more lighthearted way.

I know right? Big hugs for TY. He's really the type who pushed himself too hard. However now after watching the whole video, I think he meant the "go to nursing home together" comment more lighthearted. Also I hope the editors didn't just take advantage of and twist their emotionally rich responses, and there is sincerity in the content we see.

On the rational side, do you think Taeyong could be possibly emphasize "singleness" because he's an idol and it's his professionalism to stay "single" for the rest of his life? Or am I stretching the clip too far and looking at it out of context now?

• Like 3

On 4/29/2020 at 3:39 AM, taeyong's panicked scream said:

i received some clown faces for this post have i said something i shouldn't? 🤡

Maybe because you are just talking about DoTae's close friendship, and not explicitly about their sexualities or orientations? I got a few clowns before too for my personal opinion/reading of NCT, so who knows.

Either way you won't get points deducted for 🤡 or 🤔

20 hours ago, seashells said:

Just to add like XiaoJun's Dad performs as a female entertainer. Much like a drag queen so he could also just he really comfortable since his Dad frequently dresses as a female. 

Possibly unpopular opinion here - I'm not sure if I'd classify the performances of Xiaojun's dad being similar to drag queen level? To me it's more like female impersonator without the extravaganza or glitz. But then we only have this one clip as reference so who knows what his dad had performed back then...

• Like 1

Being a johfam (Johnny fan) I'm hesitant to interpret this as I know it can be biased. But thoughts, folks? Is Johnny just teasing Doyoung?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Dislike 3

5 hours ago, Crystal Sprite said:

I never thought that I would see Ten and vaginas in the same sentence. 😂😂

Ditto 😂

Maybe Ten was exploring or questioning his sexualities subconsciously, and he wants to experiment the act or having the plumbing? Or he wanted to subvert the dick drawings we see during our adolescence by drawing vulva and vagina-resembling illustrations? It could also be a metaphor for wanting sex under the heternormative lens? Idk 😂

But yeah in conclusion, I think we all over analyzed and it was just a phoenix or vermilion bird 's feather 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Tea 1

Apparently Jaemin (silver hair) kissed Haechan (purple hair) by accident?

Spoiler

I also get sad over dislikes (and hopefully there are no wtf reactions)... I've no intention to offend anyone at all, and I'm open to discussion plus constructive criticism if I'm being borderline shippy or sharing sarcasm/humour in an unconventional way.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DAY6 said:

I could see him being straight,but I have this feeling haechan is bi/gay fr.

HEAR ME OUT.

Hes considered the jokester of the group,so no one really questions how touchy feely he is compared to everybody else lol.Most people just assume hes doing it for laughs or attention.

YES!! I recalled the vlive moment where the 00 Dream were lying on the hotel bed in SE Asia (sorry forgot which city it was), he was genuinely shocked and said Jeno was dangerous when the latter was super close to his face and almost kissed him. And Jeno is a suspicious one too! He appears innocent and straight, but there are moments where he made me raise my eyebrows (although not lately).

3 hours ago, melhvc said:

NCT: 

So much members in this group: 

Gay: Ten, Yuta

Bi: Taeyong, Jaemin, Hendery,Haechan

others: I have a lot opinions about them but the one I put above are the members I'm sure about.

Please elaborate 🥺 Would love to hear your thoughts on the others.

Also agree with you on EXO!

• Tea 1

Okay Haechan 👀 I suppose they are all sticks anyway and thanks for doing it for us

• Like 2
  • Clown 1