Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
radiobread

What books are you reading?

I need some books to read over the holidays. Just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, which was pretty good, a little dense, but if you're into cyberpunk, science fiction and history, you'll probably like it. 

Sooo OH, what books are you reading right now? Or what are some of your favorite books that you would recommend to someone? Can be any genre. 

• Like 1

I've been reading Moby Dick since Christmas 2015 rlytearpls.png

Three-Body Problem: it's also science-fiction so you might like it.

Edited by asdfjkl

Akata Warrior and White id for Witching. Both are great books by Black female authors. 

I just finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I really liked it. They are turning it into a movie staring Nathalie Portman. And I`m going to start reading This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel. Completely different genre, but a lot of people said good stuff about it, so.. 

smile.png

• Like 1

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  I'll finish it eventually.

I recommend The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery

I have only recently started reading "Miyamoto Musashi: A Life In Arms" by William De Lange after watching a few videos by the author reading excerpts of various chapters in the book. The incredible detail and in-depth look at his life story/history just got me way too intrigued. You should give the video a watch and see if you're interested enough to read the book.

musashi-2_med_hr.jpeg

Edited by justica

I'm currently reading Pet Sematary by Stephen King. 

Some I've read recently that I'd recommend are 11/22/63 also by King (historical fiction/science fiction), A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates (contemporary fiction), A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (contemporary fiction/some magical realism), and A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin (mystery/thriler).

A Kiss Before Dying led me to read Rosemary's Baby, which I liked overall (not into the payoff at the end tho). I also just bought Levin's The Stepford Wives which I'm eager to get into. 

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. He's one of my favorite authors and I've been putting it off for so long but oh my god it's one of the best books I've read. It has scenes like the English fantasy I love so much and other cultures religions/myths, all coming together in America. 

I'm reading American Gods and Freedom Writers rn, but I really recommend you A tale for the time being by Ruth Ozeki. It's my fave book of all time.

35d353f75a5699b8f4902dd591adb3a2.gif

Happy reading!

Im gonna start the 15th book of the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter. Im spending my whole life to those books :’)

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu

I've been reading Moby Dick since Christmas 2015 rlytearpls.png

I feel you, sometimes it takes too damn long to get through a book.

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  I'll finish it eventually.

I recommend The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery

Eyy how is Purple Hibiscus. I ordered Half of a Yellow Sun a few days ago. 

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. He's one of my favorite authors and I've been putting it off for so long but oh my god it's one of the best books I've read. It has scenes like the English fantasy I love so much and other cultures religions/myths, all coming together in America. 

This is one of those books that's taking me forever to get through. I'm halfway through after a year. 

I'm currently reading Pet Sematary by Stephen King. 

Some I've read recently that I'd recommend are 11/22/63 also by King (historical fiction/science fiction), A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates (contemporary fiction), A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (contemporary fiction/some magical realism), and A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin (mystery/thriler).

A Kiss Before Dying led me to read Rosemary's Baby, which I liked overall (not into the payoff at the end tho). I also just bought Levin's The Stepford Wives which I'm eager to get into. 

Same with Tale for the Time Being--it's taking me a while to get through, idk why though. I really love Nao's chapters, but Ruth's chapters are harder for me to get through.

Eyy how is Purple Hibiscus. I ordered Half of a Yellow Sun a few days ago.

I love it! The pacing is perfect, the main character is relatable and you really root for her, other characters are great.  My only issue is that I don't speak or read Igbo (I'm not Igbo or Nigerian lol) so I feel like I'm missing out on somethings, like the traditions, because the language is littered throughout the novel.  It's an easy read and it's easy to picture in your mind.  Would definitely recommend!

Actually IU's Jam Jam reminds me of the book because I listened to it so much  when I was reading it.  Plus the feel of the song goes really well when the MC explores her sexuality. 

Currently reading Machine Learning by Hugh Howey