Photo

I'm really worried about my future. Should I go to university next year or take the year off to think about things?

life advice university school high failure

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: I'm really worried about my future. Should I go to university next year or take the year off to think about things? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What should I do?

1. Go to university next year (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. Take the year off to consider things (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Asukii8

Asukii8

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:59 PM (Edited by Asukii8, 14 November 2017 - 02:01 PM.)

I'm going to get a really bad score in my final high school exams (I'm not just saying that either. I'm a terrible student who frequently gets 20-30% in tests) so I won't be able to get into a good university. My only option is to get a diploma at the worst university in my city and then get a bachelor's degree in education after that(I want to become a teacher). I'm really worried about going to this university, as it's known for being really bad and having the highest crime rate of all universities. It's literally got a meme level reputation in my city, and it's in a bad area. This is making me not want to go there, so I'm considering taking the year of just to consider my options and think about my future. This would only prolong my university studies by 1 year.

Do you think this is a good decision? Should I just go to that university? University would start in early February btw, so I don't have that much time to decide.

#2 coval

coval

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Locationspamming high quality content for 100 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Is there a big difference between universities and colleges where you live? Those types of results don't seem good enough for uni tbh :unsure:
I took a gap year (although while I was still in school not after) and it was a bad decision
Get through school as fast as you can my only advice

#3 Asukii8

Asukii8

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:02 PM (Edited by Asukii8, 14 November 2017 - 02:03 PM.)

Is there a big difference between universities and colleges where you live? Those types of results don't seem good enough for uni tbh https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...
I took a gap year (although while I was still in school not after) and it was a bad decision
Get through school as fast as you can my only advice

Everyone just goes to universities. I haven't seen any colleges here (I live in Australia). Why was it a bad decision?

#4 coval

coval

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Locationspamming high quality content for 100 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Everyone just goes to universities. I haven't seen any colleges here (I live in Australia). Why was it a bad decision?

Well for me my country offers it 4 th year of secondary school (high school idk what you call it)
It really threw me off my studies
I became lazy and unmotivated
And generally if you're doing nothing all day your mental health becomes kinda crap

But this was before I finished school and I'm sure if you make the most of your year it could be amazing

#5 Katakuri

Katakuri

GODmie ALLAHmuro

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationI love Namie Amuro so much, I own all her albums and merchandise. I pray to Namie every night, thanking her for the life I have been given. "Namie is love", I say, "Namie is life". My dad hears me and calls me a stupid. He is obviously jealous of my devotion to Namie. I called him a bitch. He slaps me and sends me to my room.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Stop complaining and start studying

08WQc8p.gif

#6 Stardust42

Stardust42

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

I think you should take your time to consider things and prepare yourself better. But that's what you really should do: consider things and prepare yourself! Don't just do nothing all year, but try to make the most of it, in all ways you can think of. Try to know yourself better, and figure a way to be a better student, so you can have good grades when you enter University. Being a good student will more easily make you become a good teacher. 

I think you should take your time to consider things and prepare yourself better. But that's what you really should do: consider things and prepare yourself! Don't just do nothing all year, but try to make the most of it, in all ways you can think of. Try to know yourself better, and figure a way to be a better student, so you can have good grades when you enter University. Being a good student will more easily make you become a good teacher. 

#7 chiirbii

chiirbii

🏳️‍🌈

• PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Is that university your only option for you right now? School isn't all fun and games, but at the same time, you shouldn't hate the uni you're going to and you definitely should feel safe. 

It can be hard to get back into school after taking a year off, depending on where your finances are at, so that is something to consider.

#8 Asukii8

Asukii8

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Stop complaining and start studying

https://i.imgur.com/08WQc8p.gif...

My exams are over lol. It's too late

#9 Stardust42

Stardust42

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

#10 Shawol-Inspirit

Shawol-Inspirit

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationWhy do you need to know my location?...I'm from Denmark

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

I'm done with college in 1 1/2 years, and I intend to take a year off to think about what to do about my future. If it wouldn't hurt for you to do the same, why not take the oppotunity to get your life straight before throwing yourself into something you're not 100% sure about?

#11 Teddy.

Teddy.

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Can't you just redo your final high school year, and like really study so you can have better score and go to the uni you want?

If you're really not a school person (which isn't a bad thing at all), why even go to uni? You can just find a job and work your way up, or receive training in whatever you like. You don't need uni to be successful, unless your dream job requires it obviously.

Doing what you like is the most important, if you don't like school just don't go, as an adult you have the choice.

#12 MegOnBoard

MegOnBoard

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:23 PM (Edited by MegOnBoard, 14 November 2017 - 02:24 PM.)

I took a gap year to consider my options and I did very well in the end.

I think you shouldn't just go to uni and study a career just for the sake of it, consider that it will be a waste of time to do that if it's not what you wanted in the end than to take a gap year to think things properly.

In the meantime, do activities. Things you enjoy or explore things that you may enjoy and didn't know before. You may even change your mind on what you want to do.

Uni is just a degree nowadays anyway, people demand experience when hiring now so you can take a year to do that as well.

#13 Cakeyness123

Cakeyness123

Your Ultimate Bias 💗

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationCalifornia~

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

If you go how long will u have to go? A year or two at a school you hate isn't as bad as forgetting about school altogether, which may happen if you take a year off.

#14 Asukii8

Asukii8

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

If you go how long will u have to go? A year or two at a school you hate isn't as bad as forgetting about school altogether, which may happen if you take a year off.

The diploma is 1 year and the bachelor's degree is 4 years

#15 Cakeyness123

Cakeyness123

Your Ultimate Bias 💗

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationCalifornia~

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

The diploma is 1 year and the bachelor's degree is 4 years

Yeah in that case just go to the school in your town, even if you hate it, it's just a year. Study hard and go to a school you like afterwards.

#16 Property of Goddess lrene

Property of Goddess lrene

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAlasa

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

You need good grades to be a teacher.

#17 Chuuei

Chuuei

Idol

• PipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:36 PM (Edited by Chuuei, 14 November 2017 - 02:37 PM.)

... I'm a terrible student who frequently gets 20-30% in tests ...I want to become a teacher...

That made me smile a bit ilikeitplz.png  I know that being able to teach properly has nothing to do with grades but how you can interact with people, impart knowledge etc. but in the end you must be able to teach the correct things, which means even more learning and being correct - things you're not good at right now. Are you sure teacher is the right thing at least if you mean teacher in a school kind environment? A kindergarten teacher for example needs other qualities than a school teacher, maybe thats something for you if you like to work with kids. (Although i don't know how the career path for that would be in australia and if you do need a university degree too for that)

#18 Asukii8

Asukii8

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

That made me smile a bit https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...  I know that being able to teach properly has nothing to do with grades but how you can interact with people, impart knowledge etc. but in the end you must be able to teach the correct things, which means even more learning and being correct - things you're not good at right now. Are you sure teacher is the right thing at least if you mean teacher in a school kind environment? A kindergarten teacher for example needs other qualities than a school teacher, maybe thats something for you if you like to work with kids. (Although i don't know how the career path for that would be in australia and if you do need a university degree too for that)

I only want to teach English, and English is pretty much the only class that I get decent scores in.

#19 bada

bada

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationno chanel in my coco, no carats in my gold

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

At least try to apply for some better university. I studied so hard in my high school so I could get whenever I want, and in the end, people with really bad score end up getting at the same uni like me or even better, and on budget!

I don't know how is that in your country, in my country it depends on how good are students that year, so one year you can get easily, and another, you can not!

You need good grades to be a teacher.

Lmao, you really think that?

#20 baddiebey

baddiebey

Idol

• PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationThe beaches in the forest

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Start tertiary study next year and do the diploma. I did the HSC this year too and trust me I have no clue on what I want to study next year. The fact that you have a set goal already is an advantage, use it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: life, advice, university, school, high, failure

Up, Up and Away!