22 replies to this topic

#1 My Everything

My Everything

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

YTkzNjA2ZjU4MCMvSmFuenpQRzdnb2FnM25UdFVn

Imagine that your shiny, shrink-wrapped copy of Star Wars Battlefront 2 just arrived in the mail from Amazon. You pop it into your console of choice, waiting for updates to download as you fantasize about jumping into massive, dramatic battlefields drenched in the lime-green light of a thousand laser guns firing in concert.

Eventually, you start to play. Luke Skywalker. Leia. Darth Vader. The gang’s all here. But that’s when you see it: Nearly every beloved character from the Star Wars movies are locked, entirely unplayable despite you having shelled out $60 or more for the game.

Until Monday afternoon, the cost to unlock these heroes was astronomical.

Want to play as Luke? That originally would’ve cost you 60,000 in-game credits, which could take you about 40 hours of gameplay to earn, according to some early estimates. Want to wreak havoc as Vader? Yep, that was a separate 40 hour chunk you’d have to commit to earning in-game credits.

EA has since responded to the criticism and announced that it’s lowered the cost of unlocking characters by 75%. This change in pricing comes less than a day after outlets like Kotaku noted that EA’s initial response, in which it said the intent of the sky-high prices was “to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes,” soon became the most downvoted comment in Reddit history. As of this writing, it has more than 452,000 downvotes.

Given the volume of downvotes, it’s possible that someone — or a group of people — have rigged bots to downvote the comment en masse. But still. Yikes.

Of course, having to unlock access to characters and fancy gear is nothing new in video games, but would-be Battlefront 2 fans are fed up with what they perceive as exploitative design decisions on the part of Electronic Arts, the game’s publisher.

EA has been fighting an uphill PR battle since the release of the 2015’s Star Wars Battlefront, which critics said felt like a hollow, empty shell of a game. In response to criticism about EA’s decision to lock new characters behind a series of paid expansions in Battlefront, EA announced the characters in Battlefront 2 would all be free. Battlefront 2, unlike its predecessor, will also have a full campaign mode. The crowd rejoiced. EA had seemingly learned from its mistake.

And now this.

The Battlefront fandom’s negative response wasn’t limited to Reddit downvotes, either. One person who identified themself as a developer at EA said on Twitter that he has been receiving death threats, and “over 1,600 individual personal attacks” as a result of this.

Battlefront 2, in all its microtransactional glory — now, with lower character unlock prices — will be available Nov. 17.

Source

#2 oberyn

oberyn

whoa kemosabe

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationSlipping into the diamond life

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

What the fuck? What's the big deal? People are seriously whining that you have to actually invest time in the game to get characters?

I can't believe this.

#3 Green Willow

Green Willow

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationWhere BIHbang is

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

What the fuck? What's the big deal? People are seriously whining that you have to actually invest time in the game to get characters?

I can't believe this.

i don't think that, it's just that it's far too much time and effort.

#4 Akhuun

Akhuun

Nugu Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

I can't believe this.

There's probably not nearly enough content to spend 40+ hours in the game.

#5 Seulgi's jams

Seulgi's jams

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSeulgi's Dumpster

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

it's reddit. plus this generation is a bunch of spoiled fucks who cry over anything. 
What happened to the good old grinding shit out for sense of achievement.  99% of those kids will put in the time to eventually unlock everything 99x over anyway.

#6 Green Willow

Green Willow

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationWhere BIHbang is

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

lol i went to the comment to dislike it to keep it the most disliked in history :hurr:

i wonder what was the first before this?

#7 chiirbii

chiirbii

🏳️‍🌈

• PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:00 PM (Edited by chiirbii, 13 November 2017 - 07:01 PM.)

I can't believe this.

They expected people to shell out AAA pricing for this game and then locked the main draw, the characters themselves, behind 40+ hour walls. Unless you want to spend more money on in game currency to speed up the process, of course...

#8 monochrome.

monochrome.

Evil Panda

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts
  • Locationthe Dark Side

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

it's like AAA games are having a competition who can implement microtransactions and loot boxes in the most awful way possible :imstupid:

#9 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

I can't believe this.

This game isn't a game that most people will spend 40 hours on, most people play multi-player shooters like this as a side game.

#10 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

lol i went to the comment to dislike it to keep it the most disliked in history :hurr:

i wonder what was the first before this?

Probably cod ghosts.

#11 Jihyo StoleMyHeart AYAYAY

Jihyo StoleMyHeart AYAYAY

☙❤♕ Park Jihyo ♕❤❧

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,998 posts
  • LocationJihyo's Heart.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

Just people didn't appreciate the game. 

#12 silicon soul

silicon soul

The Soshi Avenger

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,314 posts
  • Location8======D ~~ <('o'<)

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:40 PM (Edited by silicon soul, 13 November 2017 - 08:53 PM.)

I can't believe this.

it's reddit. plus this generation is a bunch of spoiled fucks who cry over anything.
What happened to the good old grinding shit out for sense of achievement. 99% of those kids will put in the time to eventually unlock everything 99x over anyway.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

It has a competitive online portion of the game and some items/characters give a big advantage to players who have them over players who don't. Thats part of online gaming but the problem how you get these items.

To unlock said itmes you have to either grind for a looooong time (40 hours just to be able to buy just 1 hero character, that takes the piss) or take the easy way out and buy them with real world money. And because of the long grind time paying is almost encouraged. Essentially if you pay you you have a advantage over those that don't pay, it's pay to win on a game. What's worse you already bought for $60. It's fucking pay 2 win on an already expensive game.

Then this where this are taken to the next level, paying money doesnt guarantee you certain items, they're all randomly generated in sets (loot boxes). You might get good stuff the first time, the 2nd time or maybe a few times more or maybe never, it's all random. You're paying for odds, not buying the things you actually want. It's fucking gambling.

This game encourages gambling with real world money

#13 Sapphic

Sapphic

Eunjo Loves BTS

• Oh!Pressor
  • 1,169 posts
  • Locationi'm a lesbian but jon risinger is so pretty

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

I can't believe this.

40 hours to unlock a character is not okay, especially since most people have jobs or school and these games are a time to wind down and have fun. It's also testy af because they've already shelled out $60 for the game. It would be alright if characters were unlockable by playing a story or quest (I've never played Battlefront so I don't know how it works) but they're asking for an astronomical amount of credits because they're offering people the ability to buy crystals to get crates and stuff instead.

It's fine if these games are already free. Games like Homescapes, Superstar SMTown, etc. because they're giving you a free game that you don't have to spend money on to get far, but to make things difficult for paying players is sketchy and devious af just so you can get microtransactions too.

#14 Jeffrey Jung

Jeffrey Jung

DΞΔN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,563 posts
  • Location마린... 정신차려 난 남자라구

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:24 PM (Edited by Jeffrey Jung, 13 November 2017 - 10:25 PM.)

What happened to the good old grinding shit out for sense of achievement. 99% of those kids will put in the time to eventually unlock everything 99x over anyway.

Except that this isn’t a game that you can spend 40 hours easily and the devs encourages you to spend money to win easily against other players and pay to win games never lasts long

Also no one likes grinding anymore this isn’t Ragnarok where you can socialize with others while grinding this is a FPS game where every other players are toxic as hell

#15 chiirbii

chiirbii

🏳️‍🌈

• PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

This shit show is just getting crazier and sadder.

#16 Antilunar

Antilunar

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBrand new

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

mess

#17 Suzy Quatro

Suzy Quatro

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts
  • LocationInto the Rainbow Vein

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

This shit show is just getting crazier and sadder.

What a dick move, if they keep pissing the people this could go as bad as No Man's Sky lmao.

#18 RoisinDubh

RoisinDubh

Depart the heart you crave again

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,556 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

as expected from EA, they are so greedy they ruin all their games, you already pay for the game, then you also have to pay to unlock the characters, the weapons, the maps, etc.

I made the mistake of buying the previous Battlefront game, it was all fun until they started to release the DLCs and ruined it, gonna stay away from this one.

#19 chiirbii

chiirbii

🏳️‍🌈

• PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

It gets even better! There's a cooldown on earning credits in certain modes of the game.

See: https://clips.twitch...enderCrowLitFam

#20 Suzy Quatro

Suzy Quatro

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts
  • LocationInto the Rainbow Vein

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

It gets even better! There's a cooldown on earning credits in certain modes of the game.

See: https://clips.twitch...enderCrowLitFam

lmao, is like they're actively trying to piss off everyone xD

Up, Up and Away!