Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Favourite VN  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your most favourite VN (series) ?

• Muv Luv (Extra, Unlimited, Alternative)
    • Steins Gate (Steins Gate, Steins Gate 0)
    • Devil On G String
    • Danganronpa (Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony)
    • Clannad
    • Zero Escape (Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)
    • Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright, Justice For All, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, Spirit Of Justice)
    • Mystic Messenger
    • Code Realize
    • Higurashi
    • Umineko
    • Little Busters
    • Rewrite
    • Grisaia (Fruit of Grisaia, Labyrinth of Grisaia, Eden of Grisaia)
    • Katawa Shoujo
    • Chaos Child
    • Chaos Head Noah
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Ever17
    • Tsukihime
    • Doki Doki Literature Club
    • 428 Shibuya Scramble
    • Sharin no Kuni
    • Amnesia (Amnesia, Amnesia World)
    • Others (Please specify)
  2. 2. How many VNs have you finished?

meeeeee

Yay! I love it so much, one of the best voltage game :cry: Edited by leeluda

Anyone played the latest Steins;Gate game?

Anyone played the latest Steins;Gate game?

Do you mean Steins Gate Elite? If so, then no. SG Elite pretty much covers the original story, except that they use anime art instead of typical VN sprites. Since I already read the original and watched the anime, I don't think I'm gonna read it (unless someone tells me that SG Elite has new routes).

(unless someone tells me that SG Elite has new routes).

I’ve heard contradicting statements here so that’s what I was wondering. Even though I played the original, I’ll probably just buy it anyway since I never caught this anime so I’m interested in how this will be. If there’s new parts to it, will let you know.

Yay! I love it so much, one of the best voltage game warstarplz.png

voltage games have best handsome boys omg 

The Ace Attorney trilogy is coming to Steam on April 10

Pff this would be useful for me to finally finish T&T but I love the DS format too much. 

Tokyo Chronos was just released on Steam. Apparently it's the first VN to utilize the VR , and it's also produced by the producer of SAO

Baldr Sky at 90% TL and 90% editing so hopefully a 2019 release? Rewrite+ also seems to be having some decent progress. I can't wait for these 2 to be released in English, especially Baldr Sky which was supposed to come out years ago

sekai.png

Source: https://sekaiproject.com/pages/project-status

Edited by wei

Anyone read the KFC VN? One of the side characters looks like he walked straight out of Jojo LOL

128701.jpg

Darn I'm dying for Rewrite to be out in English and has anyone heard of Sharin no Kuni? I'm still waiting for it. 

Edited by Salieri

On 10/4/2019 at 8:43 AM, Salieri said:

Darn I'm dying for Rewrite to be out in English and has anyone heard of Sharin no Kuni? I'm still waiting for it. 

For Rewrite, there's this.

For Sharin, there's this. Apparently, the delays are due to the debugging process.

Edited by wei
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, wei said:

For Rewrite, there's this.

For Sharin, there's this. Apparently, the delays are due to the debugging process.

Thanks for telling me this, it's just been forever since I heard an update for Sharin 😞 I already backed up the project for Rewrite. After reading through both Little Busters and Clannad :)

What a great way to start the new year! Just completed YUNO a while ago and I'm left speechless. Now I know why YUNO has been lauded as the grandfather of many modern VNs - it's just simply that good. YUNO has been known to be as an inspiration to many Japanese media; with the likes of Fate Stay Night, Ace Attorney, Island, Steins Gate, Muv Luv, Clannad, Never7, Ever 17, Zero Escape, AI Sonmium Files and The World God Only Knows taking ideas from it. Well, to me, it seemed a lot like a Steins Gate/Clannad mashup with a bit of

Spoiler

SAO. 

At first glance, YUNO may seem like a typical sci-fi VN. However, towards the end, there would be a complete plot twist which many would probably not see coming (unless they got spoiled beforehand).  I had no prior knowledge of YUNO, so imagine my surprise when I reached the True Route.

Spoiler

Well, that isekai arc completely threw me off. Now I know where Muv Luv Alternative got its huge genre shift inspiration from.

Without a doubt, the route which I liked the most is the True Route (epilogue). This is the part when it started becoming a hell lot like Clannad and

Spoiler

SAO,

and when the story gets interesting. 

Spoiler

Takuya and Celes (Sayless)  was such a nice couple. That peaceful period that they had with YUNO and Kun-Kun for 4 years was so fun to read, but I knew it wasn't gonna last long. What came after Celes' death would spark a chain of character deaths, and I could feel the pain and loss for every one of them (except for Ryuzoji of course). What really shocked me was Kanna actually being Takuya's daughter. Amanda looked a bit like Eriko, so when I initially saw the photo, I was somewhat perplexed. Well not anymore. After the explanation at the end that Dela Grante was about to hit Earth and that some Dela Grante citizens were bound for Earth, it just sort of clicked.

kanna-amanda.png

Another thing which I also find intriguing is the possibility of Takuya not finding Illia's letter to the Imperial Capital. If he hadn't found the letter, he wouldn't have sent it to the Capital. If he hadn't sent it to the capital, the soldiers wouldn't have come to get Celes. If the soldiers hadn't come, Celes wouldn't have died (or maybe she still would but we don't know that)

There are still some things which I don't quite get though:

Spoiler

1. Who killed Mitsuki/Yuuki in Mio's route?

2. What was that giant tower machine thing found under Sword Cape in Mio's route? Was it one of the tower things found in Dela Grante? If so, what purpose did they serve? I'm sure it's not just to strike lightning at those who attempt to mine ores there.

I've not enjoyed reading a VN this much since playing Rewrite and Dies Irae in 2018, so I'm really glad I finally decided to give YUNO a try . Overall, a 9/10. Up next, Baldr Sky. Very much looking forward to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/897220/Summer_Pockets/

Summer pockets is finally on steam oh my goodness

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Completed the final route in Dive 2, and with that, I have finally completed Baldr Sky after 2 months. Honestly, I could have completed it much sooner, but due to other commitments, I had to stall it for a long time (I was in Nanoha's route in Dive 1 before I stalled). Only managed to get back to it this week, and boy was it well worth it. Each moment didn't feel dull (except for Reminisce, since that was ,for the most part, slice-of-life), and my eyes were always glued to the screen. 

At first, I felt like Baldr Sky was slightly similar to Guilty Crown (Gray Christmas vs Lost Christmas), but as I went on further, I started to see similarities to Yuno and Evangelion (especially the latter). I'll discuss more on the reasons in the spoiler review below.

Anyways, what I liked about Baldr Sky is that it explores the possiblity of AI and humanity coexisting with one another, something which I have not seen being done in other visual novels. I also liked the pacing here, which is surprising considering that many >50h VNs have terrible pacing. Last but not least, I really liked the openings for both Dive 1 and Dive 2. When either opening was playing during the final few battles in the final route, I actually stalled killing the enemy because both openings were just that good.  However, one thing which I didn't really like is how the antagonists were treated: One of them is a sadist who has an inferiority complex with the only motivation behind his actions being the typical "abused from childhood" story, while the other doesn't even that much of a presence until the very last route. 

Spoiler review:

Spoiler

First things first, since Sora's route is the one which provides the most plot points, what I say below is based on her route only. 

I had my suspicions that the Kou in World 0 (Sora's route) was actually the simulacrum, since pretty much everyone around him was telling him that he was supposed to be dead. Therefore, I wasn't really surprised when the revelation came. Additionally, before Sora's route, I knew that there were 2 higher existences controlling Father Gregory and Agent in the other 5 routes, and I suspected one of them to be Sora, but never really knew who the other one was, so I'm glad that cleared up in Sora's route. I also never would have guessed that the scale at which Sora and Neuzehn played their "multiverse" game was this huge. There is where I got those strong Yuno vibes when Sora started showing the world tree map thing, with multiple branches and divergence points. Additionally, the fact both Yuno and Baldr Sky have their first 5 routes be 5 possible worlds and the final route be considered the "True" world, further strengthening my conviction that Baldr Sky was slightly influenced by Yuno. 

I mentioned earlier that besides getting Yuno vibes, I also felt Evangelion's influence here, and the reasons are simple:

1. The "collective human mindset" aim of the Ark Project in Baldr Sky is very similar to the Human Instrumentality Project in Evangelion

2. Aki is a clone of Kou's mother in Baldr Sky. This is similar to Rei being a clone of Shinji's mother in Evangelion.

And finally, before I forget, when Rain started to die, I really felt like it was going to end up like a certain visual novel famous for killing people off. Instinctively, I knew that Nanoha would be the one to die next, and everyone else would later die off one by one for dramatic effect. That actually turned out to be the case, but then I certainly didn't expect them to revive all of a sudden (especially the Fenrir members; they had an extremely minor presence in Sora's route so I didn't expect them to revive too). I have mixed feelings about this tbh; on one hand, I'm glad that everyone's alive and well,on the other, I'm wondering just how much emotional impact it would have left me if they had stayed "dead" in the Es.

Overall, a 9/10 for Dive 2. Thought I wouldn't like it that much since Dive 1 wasn't particularly outstanding, but I'm glad this wasn't the case for Dive 2.

On a side note, I just realised I've only completed 2 VNs this year. If only my schedule this year wasn't this packed...

Edited by wei

Posted (edited)

So I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Code Realize and put off playing it until recently (blame Rune Factory 4 Special). I was a bit hesitant because the whole steam punk theme is normally not my style but I'm seriously enjoying it so much. Before playing it I had already ranked my favorites based on first impressions. I figured I'd share that here :)

spacer.png

Initially my ranking was based on visuals (yes I'm a visual creature) and the descriptions given.

Initial Rankings

1. Abraham Van Helsing
  2. Saint Germain
  3. Impey Barbicane
  4. Arsene Lupin
  5. Victor Frankenstein

I just finished the final play-through and I feel I can give a somewhat honest ranking on who my favorite love interest was, what my favorite story was, and the overall satisfaction I felt after completing the happy ending and after-story

Favorite Love Interest

1. Impey Barbicane
  2. Abraham Van Helsing
  3. Arsene Lupin
  4. Saint Germain
  5. Victor Frankenstein 

Surprise surprise, I know. Talking to a lot of people I heard how Impey was their least favorite and honestly I can understand why. But for some reason his character really called to me. Yeah he played around too much, complained and whined most of the time, and was jealous of everyone. Even though all of this is true, he somehow became the one I looked forward to the most. I normally avoid those happy go lucky, cheerful, loud types but somehow I just accepted that as who he is. The sooner I accepted it, the easier it was for me to get attached to him. Van Helsing could easily have been my number one. He has the visuals I like, a voice that appeals to me, and is insanely logical. What's not to love right? He's almost the exact opposite of Impey. I really loved his cold personality but I was frustrated with him constantly pushing Cardia away. Yes he had a reason that I could understand. Yes he was doing it for both of them. But it doesn't change the fact that it hurt. I was almost disgusted with Cardia for how she kept clinging on to him. It wasn't attractive at all.

Lupin was someone who alternated between last and second to last. Honestly i found him so annoying.His style, his smile, his voice, his behavior. It all grated on me. I was so happy when Herlock Sholmes inevitably rained on his parade. Running his route, I was able to see sides of him that made him slightly less annoying. I wasn't able to like him until he started showing his true emotions for Cardia. When he earnestly said how he felt, that's when I fell for him. Saint Germain... he was visually my second favorite. Actually I even like his personality and the way he goes about this things. I can understand how and when he fell in love with Cardia. It's really hard to explain why he dropped in my rankings. The easiest explanation I can give is that he didn't actually drop, it's just that others had something that boosted them and made me love them a bit more. Victor, poor Victor. I really wanted  to like him. I don't dislike him, but...he was just boring for me. I like that he's smart and that he's trying to fix what he created but it just fell flat for me. I guess he just didn't have that smoldering intensity that the others had (even Impey had it). His was more of a sweet romance, he was nice but just didn't do anything for me. 

Favorite Story

1. Abraham Van Helsing
  2. Saint Germain
  3. Arsene Lupin
  4. Impey Barbicane
  5. Victor Frankenstein

I won't say too too much as I don't want to spoil it if you haven't played it or their routes yet.

Spoiler

Van Helsing and Saint Germain both had tragic stories. Honestly they're incredibly strong to be able survive what they did. They both had stories that turned me into a bawling mess. I don't like tragic stories, I don't like sadness, I don't like unhappiness that can't be reversed. So it honestly took away my enjoyment of their stories. Which is why you'd expect them to have ranked lower in this category. Even though there were plenty of things I didn't like, I could recognize that their stories were supposed to make me feel that way so with that in mind, their stories are some of the best. Lupin's story didn't really focus on him much, he was more of an afterthought. I did appreciate getting all of the information on Cardia and wrapping up everyone else's stories. Because there was closure for everyone, I was able to enjoy his story. Impey's story was sad, but not on the level of tragedy as Van Helsing and Saint Germain. Maybe because of his personality and how he looked at the world, I just wanted to continue supporting him and cheering him on as he accomplished his dream. I do have to say though, Nemo is freaking hilarious. I don't know how many times I had to stop just because I was laughing too hard and couldn't take him seriously. Victor's story was ok, he had the guilt and a bit of tragedy but it still felt like it was missing something. Maybe it's because Cardia felt stronger and all together more capable than he was.

Favorite Ending/After-story

1. Impey Barbicane
  2. Victor Frankenstein
  3. Saint Germain
  4. Abraham Van Helsing
  5. Arsene Lupin

I think all of them had really good endings. Impey's was more of the same, him being happy, working on his goal, and Cardia being by his side. Honestly I can't complain about it one bit. Victor's was suprisingly one of my favorites. Although he hadn't found a cure for her poison, he did have a temporary solution so that she could live like a normal person. This was one of my happiest moments. Throughout the game, you're aware that she can't touch or be touched. It gets to the point that it's downright annoying. And even in the majority of the happy endings she can't touch her man without their being a consequence. This is why I was so happy with Victor's ending. Yeah it's not the goal everyone wanted, but it does give her the ability to live a somewhat normal life in the meantime. I think that's something to be happy about. Saint Germain's ending is a bit different in the fact that they technically can't touch each other, but since he has his healing abilities he's recover from the burning/melting but still there is a sense of intimacy between them. He's a bit possessive/jealous which might put some people off bit I think it's understandable. As long as he's lived there are only two times that he's ever done something against his organization and the first time ended in death for a large portion of Europe. So it doesn't bother me that he wants to have her and is willing to go through pain to touch her. Van Helsing had one of the more disappointing endings. 

Spoiler

There was no kiss, no touching, nothing 😭They did my man dirty. After everything he went through, he couldn't even touch her...

I'm happy that they made things work for them in the end but it wasn't really fulfilling. The only reason he's not last in this one is because his after-story CG is all I want in life. Lupin ends up last, not because his ending was bad or anything, just... it was the classic happy ending, all the loose ends tied up. They get married, and live happily ever after. Cardia doesn't have to deal with the poison, and everyone's goals are realized. Maybe I'm just a bit bitter because it's the ending I would want for the others as well.

Overall I really enjoyed it. There were a few typos that I feel were obvious and they could have proofread it a bit better. It didn't take away from the story though so it's not really a complaint. All of the guys were hot and I've found a new appreciation for red headed vampires lol. My love for Van Helsing and Saint Germain are still there as they're my favorites visually with Impey coming right behind them. Everyone had a decent ending where they were able to live happily and that's all I could hope for with the main ending not occurring until Lupin's route. I'm looking forward to the Future Blessing's Fandisc that should be out in a few days. Hopefully it'll give me the endings that I really want for all my guys.

Edited by Idyll89
  • Like 1

Completed Mask of Truth a while ago, and with that, I have finally finished the entire Utawarerumono trilogy. Man, now that I have completed this trilogy, I feel so empty now. I expected so much from this, and boy did it meet my expectations.

Seiyuus

Before I get to the story itself, let me first get to the cast. Fujiwara Keiji (Rest in Peace), Sawashiro Miyuki, Kugumiya Rie, Tanaeda Risa, Sakura Ayane, Minase Inori, Murase Ayumu, Namikawa Daisuke, Takahiro Sakurai; just those names were enough to tell me that the voice acting for the trilogy were going to be splendid. The seiyuus here (for the most part) voiced what they were known for, but what caught me the most by surprise was Sawashiro voicing Aruruu. Ayaneru also sounded different (compared to the characters that I know whom she had voiced) while voicing Uruuru and Saraana, but then she had always been known to have many different voices for many characters, so I wasn't that surprised compared to Sawashiro. This just goes to show how damn well these seiyuus can portray their voices, huh.

Prelude to the Fallen

And now to the story, starting with Prelude to the Fallen. It started off well, and while there were numerous slice-of-life events in between, the pace was decent. The villains were very typical though, so I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how the villains behaved.

Spoiler

It was certainly an eventful journey for Hakuoro, from being just a villager to being an ouro to being a divine entity. It was also nice that some of the enemies that Hakuoro faced were actually decent people, and I’m glad that they would eventually become part of his group. Sakuya losing her shit was a huge pity though, considering that there was quite a lot of development surrounding her prior to her breakdown. The final reveal which revealed Haukuro to be some God, Eruruu to be his former wife’s (Mikoto) reincarnation and Kamyu to have an alternate personality in Mutsumi, was something I couldn’t predict, considering that there was close to no hints until the very end. Plot reveals are always good, and it was overall a very enjoyable experience.

Final score: 8.7/10.

Mask of Deception

Next up, Mask of Deception. This is probably the weakest entry in the series, with a myriad of slice-of-life events, so much so that they probably outnumber the number of fight scenes. It started pretty well though, just like its predecessor.

Spoiler

Oshtor's death at the end was a huge surprise, and I could feel myself slowly trying to process the implications of that, since he’s a big shot, and it would cause huge political turmoil if news was to break out that Oshtor was dead. However, before I could finish my train of thoughts, Haku came back to his group donning Oshtor’s mask, and that’s when I knew that Haku’s in for a long and arduous ride. Unsurprisingly, Kuon decided to go back home after learning of “Haku’s” death, and just when things were starting to get good, the story decided to end itself (*Labyrinth of Grisaia flashbacks*). Come to think of it, there was a particular event where Haku acted as Oshtor earlier in the game, so I suppose that sort of foreshadowed what was to come, huh.

Anyways, this entry was interesting but had its shortcomings: namely too much slice-of-life and pointless fanservice, so I'm giving a score of 8/10. 

Additional note : I love the OP so much.

Additional note 2:

Spoiler

I still can’t believe Kuon is the daughter of Yuzuha, despite her looking more like Eruruu.

Mask of Truth

Last but not least, Mask of Truth. Considering that this entry is #9 on vndb, I had the highest expectations for this. Although the start felt a bit like Mask of Deception with all the slice-of-life events, that all changed with the start of the rebellion arc. Not gonna lie; Raiko really felt like Lelouch. His methods of manipulating his opponents to his needs, and ability to adapt to situations, is reminiscent of S1 Lelouch, and it amazed me how Haku was able to escape from most of his strategies.

Spoiler

Really, if it wasn't for a certain other guy's interference, Haku and co would already have been obliterated by Raiko's mortar. When Raiko died, it initially felt like the game was going to end, because the battle between Raiko and Haku was pretty damn epic, and felt like a final boss fight. However, there were simply way too many loose ends (at that point) for a VN rated so highly on vndb, so there should be at least one more major arc afterwards, and I was right. Woshi turned out to be the true mastermind pulling the strings behind the scenes, and while I definitely had my suspicions, I never could quite figure out his intention. However, when his intention was eventually revealed, I couldn’t help but sigh in exasperation as it turned out to be a pretty lame one, which got even lamer when Woshi was revealed to be a clone. So much for being a true human, huh.

Honestly though, I can’t help but feel that the cast in Prelude to the Fallen would have easily dispatched every enemy which Haku and his group had difficulty facing.They could literally defeat

Spoiler

a divine entity,

while Haku’s group was struggling against mere humans/kemonomimis. I really wanted Hakuoro’s group to play a more active role here, and I’m glad that they got more screen time towards the end of the game.

Spoiler

Seeing Eruruu and hearing Hakuoro for the first time since Prelude to the Fallen made me feel just how long the Utawarerumono journey has been for me; I couldn’t help but feel emotional :’).

While the final battle in Mask of Truth may not be as epic as that of Prelude to the Fallen, it certainly evoked the same amount of emotions as it did in Prelude to the Fallen,

Spoiler

and I couldn’t help but feel saddened by the loss of Haku. Dude’s been using his Akuruka whenever he feels cornered, so I knew he would definitely use it against Woshi. I can’t help but feel for Nekone; first Oshtor died, then the Haku died; it’s almost like her brother died twice. On the bright side, Haku was the only casualty amongst the main cast, and even allowed Hakuoro to turn back into a human and return to Eruruu’s side. 

Final score for Mask of Truth: 8.7/10

Posted (edited)

So apparently there's a Tsukihime anime made by a fan

Edited by wei