Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Favourite VN  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your most favourite VN (series) ?

• Muv Luv (Extra, Unlimited, Alternative)
    • Steins Gate (Steins Gate, Steins Gate 0)
    • Devil On G String
    • Danganronpa (Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony)
    • Clannad
    • Zero Escape (Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)
    • Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright, Justice For All, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, Spirit Of Justice)
    • Mystic Messenger
    • Code Realize
    • Higurashi
    • Umineko
    • Little Busters
    • Rewrite
    • Grisaia (Fruit of Grisaia, Labyrinth of Grisaia, Eden of Grisaia)
    • Katawa Shoujo
    • Chaos Child
    • Chaos Head Noah
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Ever17
    • Tsukihime
    • Doki Doki Literature Club
    • 428 Shibuya Scramble
    • Sharin no Kuni
    • Amnesia (Amnesia, Amnesia World)
    • Others (Please specify)
  2. 2. How many VNs have you finished?

Would “Until Dawn†be considered a visual novel, people tend to have mixed opinion about it?

Nope, Until Dawn and games like telltale are not considered VN as they are more gameplay focus with the decisions. It's close to a vn but not considered one. 

Little Busters would also be a great starting point for those wanting to get into VN and looking for an emotional rollercoaster, only about to finish my third playthrough but it has me on edge. 

I have a list of the visual novels I've played/planning to play for those who are interested. 

Just a suggestion don't read Chaos Head wait for Noah since that's a lot better than the original game and uh putting MLA as an option for emotional roller coaster is only telling them to just read MLA and skipping MLU and MLE? 

Also here is my VNDB https://vndb.org/u132231/list

And vn stat - https://vnstat.net/user/132231

I just started my first Korean VN-- Lucy the Eternity She Wished For and I'm already starting to feel that the ending will be a tragic one

Edit: I finished it!! It isn't as tragic as I thought lol but it's still pretty damn good

Lucy was a great vn imo honestly I loved it :)

Finished Little busters and that tore my heart out. Cried so much due to it and just done a ex route of little busters. Can't ask for more from a key vn. I like little busters more than I liked Clannad. Only vn I have not read that I want from key is Angel beats and maybe even Rewrite.

As for chaos child which I finished on Sunday it was a moving story. Enjoyed the routes :) just got a heartache from the end

Steam sales is going to happen tomorrow :) might get Subahibi and dies irae

Edited by Salieri

I've been playing Kara no Shoujo for a while now and I can safely say that it's one of the most disturbing VNs I've ever played (along with Saya no Uta). Man, the gruesome murders in this game make the ones in Danganronpa look like nothing

How did you find saya to be disturbing? I thought it was cute and exciting.

Currently reading though Narcissu Surmire, the Narcissu series really touched my heart being such a depressing series of vn

slpB3Mm.png

i'm never joining a literature club, now. ever.

Doki doki was such a great read, why is it a problem to join a lit club. /:

The 18+ scenes are a bit disturbing for me. The cannibalism part is also somewhat disturbing, with the protagonist eating a human heart for the first time and actually thinking that it tasted good.   With that being said, I also feel that it's in a way beautiful, as it portrays the notion of how love knows no boundaries, as can be seen from the love between Saya ,an unknown slimy organism from a different dimension, and the protagonist ,a human.

Eh not to sure what to say with that if you think that part is disturbing laugh.png

Doki Doki scarred me blacko-emoticon-003.gif

Hehehe try Saya no uta next it will be comforting ;)

You can try reading Muv Luv Extra to soothe your nerves!

^

Also yes Muv luv extra smile.png

Finished part of Narcissu Surmire (first story) and like Narcissu 1 and 2.it really does affect me in a more depressing way. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the sumire story soon :)

Hopefully I'll get sharin no kuni once it hits steam.

Edited by Salieri

Little Busters was soooo much fun. the only VN where i bothered to play every single route and re-do some routes to get the real endings. i loved every route and the baseball practise and other minigames were rly fun as well. it's my all-time fave and i spent lots of time to see ever single bit of the story with every little choice.

What was your favorite route and best girl? Also what did you think about.... SPOILERS

The truth of the entire vn.

For people who have already finished Muv Luv Alternative and want to relive all the sad moments (Heavy spoilers ahead; don't open if you haven't played it yet):

Watching this made me tear up all over again rlytearpls.png

Why just why on earth is there a video just..... My heart hurts so much

Watching other people play Doki Doki has made me catch things that I didn't think about earlier and

Monika is an absolute ASS! "You kind of left her hanging...." she says this on the morning that she makes Sayori hang herself omgwtf.pngomgwtf.pngomgwtf.png

please....

Monika is like the gem I need she's someone whom would love you for all your flaws I would so date her. She's everything

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

0b1.png

rlytearpls.pngrlytearpls.pngrlytearpls.pngrlytearpls.png

I'm really hoping for some steam visual novels later today. Although I don't want to get my hopes up but it will be nice been waiting for two vn lately :(

Edit :finally got Subahibi as it was 20% of :) played like 2 hours of it and it seems to be all right so far

Edited by Salieri

Lol you've got to be kidding me. I read reviews from those who played it (with some spoilers of course; damn those reviewers) and apparently there are some grotesque scenes which can be extremely disturbing. Heck, I felt disturbed just by reading on those scenes, which is why I'm still contemplating on whether I should read this VN. And by the way, I think the one on Steam only contains 1 chapter out of the 6 chapters that Subahibi has to offer (?). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I mean doki doki was all right for me being fluffy and nice I loved that, although it's true that I might be f up in terms of pschyological stuff laugh.png I'll give you my full impression of the first two hours, nothing and I mean nothing had faze me so far (although this is coming from someone whom didn't like saya no uta theme but enjoyed the stuff I saw in the vn).

Yep the first chapter is only on steam but they have a patch for the rest of the game's chapter (only 300mb) but that's how they abide by steam rules since I think most of what Subahibi is far too rated to put onto steam.

I feel like it takes me forever to find and complete a VN. I love them but I'm too picky sometimes and then I have to be in the right mood so I usually miss sales -_-

I mean it's common you just read at your own pace, I'm more of a person who would wait for sales than read them while I know those that get it first day and read them to completiton right after. Just read at your own pace and whatever feels comferable for you,

Edited by Salieri

I want to try a visual novel but I'm not sure if my laptop will handle it :horror:

Go on steam download Doki doki Literature Club and try to play it is a free vn and most other besides things like Danganronpa should work

:o Okay thanks

I just wasn't sure since my laptop is a MacBook Air laugh.png

You might be limited to the amount of vn you cab access but there's always this option to just look at mac vn https://vndb.org/r?q=&fil=lang-en.olang-ja.plat-mac

And you could always go onto vndb and see if the vn you want to read has mac support for example Narcissu has it :)

Edited by Salieri

I managed to be able to use my desktop after all(turns out something needed to get updated), and I managed to play and finish Doki Doki. 

At first I was about to stop playing but then it got really disturbing so I brought myself to finish it. It was well done and I'm more than likely going to play more VNs

I'm glad you enjoyed doki doki now try out saya no uta ;)

On the topic about vn outside of Japan I would reccomened this vn https://vndb.org/v16743Lucy, such a great read despite it's length  :)

I heard that one is even more disturbing 0u0plz.png

And I'll check out Lucy! smile.png

If you think that's going to disturb you I would definatly tell you to read Higurashi and Corpse party

Add Umineko to the mix as well. Since you are easily disturbed, I think you shouldn't go for VNs like Wonderful Everyday. Kara no Shoujo or Swan Song

Don't turn them off for the beauty of Subahibi. I'm currently reading it >.<

After months of dilly dallying, I've finally finished Doki Doki Literature Club. Here are my thoughts:

This was the first

metagame

I've played so

naturally I was quite surprised when some characters were aware they are in a game (i.e Monika,Sayori).

Overall, it was a pleasant and unique experience but since it concentrates on user interaction rather than on plot and character development (which I feel are the most important in a VN), I think that it has room to improve on. Also, I wasn't as disturbed as I'd hoped so it was kind of a downer. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend it to a VN beginner since it's quite short and easy to complete.

7/10 for me

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) hmm as for the distrubed part I guess to each their own since I was kinda..... O.o during the beginning but that was it.

BTW what vn are you reading now?

Ok I know I may be quite late at this, but apparently there will be a (sort of) remake for Steins Gate called Steins Gate Elite which will be released in March for Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PSV. There will be new routes (at least not in the anime; probably the same as the original Steins Gate since the anime only has 1 route anyways) and it will follow style of the anime instead of having the traditional static images. What I don't get is that it is described as a “full animation adventure game†but the genre is visual novel. So is it an adventure game or VN lmao

Anyways, for more information:

https://www.play-asia.com/steinsgate-elite/13/70bhfh?tagid=1265463

P.S English version will probably take quite a while

Credit :uploader

Not looking forward to this as I'm really sceptical about how they are doing it.

I'm so close to finishing subahibi and I must say it's really an excellent vn to go though.

jeez if that's the case, we may as well just watch the anime. It's kind of frustrating to see the characters move, only for them to suddenly stop. 5pb is really trying to milk money out of those Steins Gate fans smh. Making a VN based on the movie "Load Region of Déjà Vu" and/or an expansion to that would probably have been better

As for subahibi, how much would you rate it?

That was my reaction from knowing and hearing that it was going to be 'animiated' I would have loved another science fiction advanture game like Robotics;Notics or even Chaos;Head :(

As for Subahibi, just finished it. I abosultaly loved the game and it's message, I won't lie it is distrubing as hell defo not for the faint of hearts but it's such a good ride from the beginning wondering what's happening to the end where you just get your mind blown, the art style is *.* beautiful and the music is nice to hear and gets intense when things actually do happen. First episode is the one on Steam and that was ok but when everything else is underneath the patch and it is seriously worth a read if you enjoy mystery. If I have to say it's a solid 9. 5 for me personally :)

Edited by Salieri

Just started dies irae and got to the second chapter it seems good so far really atomospheric and the music gives me the creeps

Edited by Salieri

I was about to say dies irae hasn't been fully translated yet but I just went on vndb and found out it has been recently fully translated last month LOL looks like I will have another VN on my to-play list

It was out like 7 months ago

http://store.steampowered.com/app/644540/Dies_irae_Amantes_amentes/

and first fight I'm seeing just blows me away, have a look at the prologue when you have time :)

Oh my bad. I only looked at the vndb page for dies iraes and saw the dark blue icon (meaning partial patch) beside the game released on June so I thought it hadn't been fully translated until last month

Capture.png

Yeah, I will definitely check it out now that I know it's fully translated

:) bave fun

I'm getting the dx pacakge which inlcludes the old version and the new version, mainly because I'm curious about the old version h scenes that the new one (complete version) doesn't. It's on manga gamer :)

Considering how my schedule's working out so far it may take a while for me to play/read Narcissu. I haven't even started actually imhorrifiedplz.png

You owe it to yourself to play through Narcissu, it's a good vn for what it is :) I still need to finish the final dlc for it

Has anyone here read VA-11 Hall-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action? I'm just slowly getting through the game got Dies Irae to play which is a monster in terms of length and content  it's a nice spin on the whole visual novel scene just being a bartender and actually serving cilients and learning about the background as you play through it.

I've heard of the game but to be honest,I have my doubts on the plot development.

Plot wise it might not be a "kamige" but it's decent for an indie developed vn (although I'm just like on the second chapter).

Btw you mentioned you play vn on your phone. Could you please tell me how you go about it in pm just cause I really want to read some that I can take on the go rather than not having a vn when I'm on the go. Never done it before and tried fate hollow yet it didn't seem to work when I tried it.

I am seriously loving dies irae only on its second route but just... Its mind blowing great and people been telling me its only going to get better. Finishing the next route later today

Just an ost that's been in my head for the past week. Although minor spoilers for the ost below