Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Favourite VN  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your most favourite VN (series) ?

• Muv Luv (Extra, Unlimited, Alternative)
    • Steins Gate (Steins Gate, Steins Gate 0)
    • Devil On G String
    • Danganronpa (Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony)
    • Clannad
    • Zero Escape (Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)
    • Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright, Justice For All, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, Spirit Of Justice)
    • Mystic Messenger
    • Code Realize
    • Higurashi
    • Umineko
    • Little Busters
    • Rewrite
    • Grisaia (Fruit of Grisaia, Labyrinth of Grisaia, Eden of Grisaia)
    • Katawa Shoujo
    • Chaos Child
    • Chaos Head Noah
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Ever17
    • Tsukihime
    • Doki Doki Literature Club
    • 428 Shibuya Scramble
    • Sharin no Kuni
    • Amnesia (Amnesia, Amnesia World)
    • Others (Please specify)
  2. 2. How many VNs have you finished?

This thread is a place where you can discuss anything and everything (with a few rules) about visual novels (VNs).
Be it your favourite VNs, new VNs or upcoming VNs, you can voice your opinions here. Feel free to post your own VN list and rate a visual novel that you've recently finished as well (eg. Steins Gate - 8/10).

Rules:
- No discussion on h-scenes.
- Keep spoilers in where they should be (spoiler tags)
- Do not post links to illegal websites (vndb is fine)

What is a visual novel (VN)?

A visual novel is an interactive game which allows the reader to make choices and, from the choices they make, branch off to a certain route in the game. This is perhaps what makes a visual novel so entertaining as one does not know what their choice will entail in the game. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Games such as Muv Luv Alternative, Planetarian, Witch On The Holy Night and Grisaia Phantom Trigger have linear plot lines which do not branch out into multiple worldlines. It is also worth noting that some VNs such as Ace Attorney, Zero Escape and Danganronpa have more gameplay elements (also known as hybrid VNs), thus requiring more user interaction than the typical VN.

How typical VNs look like

(Fate/Stay Night)
804.jpg

(Code Realize)
84043.jpg

Common terms

Bishojo game/Galge: Centers around a male protagonist with many female characters to choose from as a love interest. Galge stands for "Gal game"

Bishonen game/Otoge: Centers around a female protagonist with many male characters to choose from as a love interest. Otoge stands for "Otome game".

Charage: Short for character game. Focuses on the characters of the game rather than the plot.

Chuunige: Deals with magic, the occult and the like.

Doujin soft / doujinshi: Games made by Japanese hobbyists for fun rather than profit. Some examples of doujin soft games include TsukihimeHigurashi and Umineko.

Eroge: Short for erotic game. Everyone knows this term, but contrary to popular belief, the sexual scenes in an eroge are usually short and few. Usually comes with a separate version removing sexual content.

Fandisc: Expansion to a series which is meant for fanservice, rather than continue the plot from the original story. It may sometimes contain after stories for the original game's heroes/heroines. Thus, it cannot be considered a true sequel to the original game.

Kamige: Literally means 'Godly game'. Used to describe masterpieces (can be quite subjective).

Kinetic novel: A visual novel where you do not need to make any choice. Examples include PlanetarianWitch On The Holy Night , Grisaia Phantom TriggerHigurashi and Umineko.

Kusoge: Literally means 'Sh*t game'. Used to describe low quality games.

Metagame: Breaks the fourth wall; meaning that one or more characters is aware that they are a fictional character. An example is Doki Doki Literature Club.

Moege: Focuses on romance and cute girls, without any major plot points whatsoever. Usually used as an insult.

Nakige: A game that's designed to make you emotional. Most VNs by the company "Key" are of this nature.

OELVN: Short for Original English Language Visual Novel. Similar to a doujin game but instead of being made in Japanese, it is made in English. Examples of OELVNs include Katawa Shoujo and Doki Doki Literature Club.

Plotege: Short for plot game. Focuses on the plot of the game rather than the characters.

Route: Perhaps the most common term you will hear from VN readers. A route is just what it sounds like; namely a path that branches off from choices that you made previously. VNs generally have more than one route.

Utsuge: Literally means depressing game. Unlike nakiges which usually have happy endings, utsuges tend to have very devastating endings or require a great deal of effort to reach a good ending (if any, at all).

Yaoi / BL (Boys Love): Involves 2 or more male characters in a romantic relationship.

Yuri / GL (Girls Love): Involves 2 or more female characters in a romantic relationship.

Popular VN companies (translation companies in bold)

5pb Games
Capcom
Cheritz

Denpasoft (child company of Sekai Project)
Front Wing
Idea Factory

JAST USA (has many 18+ games under its belt, so be wary)
Key
KID

MangaGamer (has many 18+ games under its belt, so be wary)
Nitroplus
Otomate (branch of Idea Factory)

Sekai Project

Spike Chunsoft
Type Moon

New to the VN genre? Here are some VNs to kickstart your journey into the world of VNs. (Note: Some VNs may be in more than one category)

For people looking for otomes (otomes are explained under the common terms section):

For people looking for murder mysteries:

For people looking for escape mysteries:

For people looking for horror:

For people looking for chuuniges (chuuniges are explained in the common terms section):

Dies Irae (18+, comes with non-18+ version)

Fate Stay Night (18+, comes with non-18+ version), Fate Hollow Ataraxia (18+ but has option to turn H-scenes off)

Rewrite

Witch On The Holy Night (Chp 1-7 English patch is available)

For people looking for courtroom/detective cases:

For people looking for slice-of-life:

Air (18+) (12+/15+ version available in Japanese but not yet in English)

Clannad

Fruit of Grisaia, Labyrinth of Grisaia, Eden of Grisaia (All 18+ but have 17+ version available)

If My Heart Had Wings (18+ with 12+ version available)

Kanon (18+) (12+ and 15+ versions available in Japanese)

Little Busters

Majikoi, Do Love Me Seriously!Majikoi S (all 18+)

Sharin no Kuni and its fandisk (both 18+ and have non-18+ versions coming soon)

For people looking for an emotional rollercoaster ride:

Air (18+) (12+/15+ version available in Japanese but not yet in English)

Clannad
Kanon (18+) (12+ and 15+ versions available in Japanese)

Muv Luv (18+), Muv Luv Alternative (18+) (Both come with an all-age version)
Rewrite

For people looking for science fiction:

Chaos Child

Chaos Head / Chaos Head Noah (The latter is sort of a "remake" of the former)

Muv Luv (18+), Muv Luv Alternative (18+) (Both come with an all-age version)

Robotic Notes

Steins GateSteins Gate 0
Time Travelers (Only available in Japanese, though a English subbed and dubbed playthrough is available on Youtube)

For people looking for GL/yuri:

For people looking for BL/yaoi:

DRAMAtical Murder, DRAMAtical Murder re:connect (both 18+)

For people looking for free visual novels:

Doki Doki Literature Club!
Katawa Shoujo (18+) (Comes with option to disable 18+ content)
Narcissu, Narcissu 0

Phenomeno

Top 10 English translated visual novels based on vndb rating (as of edit date):

1. Muv Luv Alternative (18+) (Comes with an all-ages version): 9.11

2. Steins Gate: 9.00

3. Umineko no Naku Koro ni: 8.79

4. House in Fata Morgana8.77

5. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru: 8.76

6. Baldr Sky Dive2 “Recordare” : 8.74

7. Clannad8.65  

7. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai8.65

9. Fate Stay Night (18+) (Comes with 15+ version): 8.64

10. Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro: 8.62

Edited by tsugu

OH GOD I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO VISUAL NOVELS TWO YEARS AGO

i used to play every single fucking day

so I just started playing Katawa shoujo and I got to say that I'm very impressed with the graphics so far considering that the game was made by a team of amateurs

Edited by Buddy x Once

Would “Until Dawn†be considered a visual novel, people tend to have mixed opinion about it?

Nope, Until Dawn and games like telltale are not considered VN as they are more gameplay focus with the decisions. It's close to a vn but not considered one. 

Little Busters would also be a great starting point for those wanting to get into VN and looking for an emotional rollercoaster, only about to finish my third playthrough but it has me on edge. 

I have a list of the visual novels I've played/planning to play for those who are interested. 

Just a suggestion don't read Chaos Head wait for Noah since that's a lot better than the original game and uh putting MLA as an option for emotional roller coaster is only telling them to just read MLA and skipping MLU and MLE? 

Also here is my VNDB https://vndb.org/u132231/list

And vn stat - https://vnstat.net/user/132231

Just a suggestion don't read Chaos Head wait for Noah since that's a lot better than the original game

I will keep that in mind.

putting MLA as an option for emotional roller coaster is only telling them to just read MLA and skipping MLU and MLE? 

Thanks for the feedback; I've updated the OP accordingly smile.png

I just started my first Korean VN-- Lucy the Eternity She Wished For and I'm already starting to feel that the ending will be a tragic one

Edit: I finished it!! It isn't as tragic as I thought lol but it's still pretty damn good

Edited by Buddy x Once

I just started my first Korean VN-- Lucy the Eternity She Wished For and I'm already starting to feel that the ending will be a tragic one

Edit: I finished it!! It isn't as tragic as I thought lol but it's still pretty damn good

Lucy was a great vn imo honestly I loved it :)

Finished Little busters and that tore my heart out. Cried so much due to it and just done a ex route of little busters. Can't ask for more from a key vn. I like little busters more than I liked Clannad. Only vn I have not read that I want from key is Angel beats and maybe even Rewrite.

As for chaos child which I finished on Sunday it was a moving story. Enjoyed the routes :) just got a heartache from the end

Steam sales is going to happen tomorrow :) might get Subahibi and dies irae

Edited by Salieri

I've been playing Kara no Shoujo for a while now and I can safely say that it's one of the most disturbing VNs I've ever played (along with Saya no Uta). Man, the gruesome murders in this game make the ones in Danganronpa look like nothing

I've finished Kara no Shoujo ahhh I feel so depressed right now why is the true ending like that :(

I've been playing Kara no Shoujo for a while now and I can safely say that it's one of the most disturbing VNs I've ever played (along with Saya no Uta). Man, the gruesome murders in this game make the ones in Danganronpa look like nothing

How did you find saya to be disturbing? I thought it was cute and exciting.

Currently reading though Narcissu Surmire, the Narcissu series really touched my heart being such a depressing series of vn

How did you find saya to be disturbing? I thought it was cute and exciting.

Currently reading though Narcissu Surmire, the Narcissu series really touched my heart being such a depressing series of vn

The 18+ scenes are a bit disturbing for me. The cannibalism part is also somewhat disturbing, with the protagonist eating a human heart for the first time and actually thinking that it tasted good.   With that being said, I also feel that it's in a way beautiful, as it portrays the notion of how love knows no boundaries, as can be seen from the love between Saya ,an unknown slimy organism from a different dimension, and the protagonist ,a human.

Edited by Buddy x Once

slpB3Mm.png

i'm never joining a literature club, now. ever.

Doki doki was such a great read, why is it a problem to join a lit club. /:

The 18+ scenes are a bit disturbing for me. The cannibalism part is also somewhat disturbing, with the protagonist eating a human heart for the first time and actually thinking that it tasted good.   With that being said, I also feel that it's in a way beautiful, as it portrays the notion of how love knows no boundaries, as can be seen from the love between Saya ,an unknown slimy organism from a different dimension, and the protagonist ,a human.

Eh not to sure what to say with that if you think that part is disturbing laugh.png

Doki doki was such a great read, why is it a problem to join a lit club. /:

Eh not to sure what to say with that if you think that part is disturbing laugh.png

Doki Doki scarred me blacko-emoticon-003.gif

You can try reading Muv Luv Extra to soothe your nerves!

Edited by Buddy x Once

Hehehe try Saya no uta next it will be comforting ;)

^

Also yes Muv luv extra smile.png

lol they seem nice...with weapons

Hehehe try Saya no uta next it will be comforting ;)

^

Also yes Muv luv extra smile.png

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

heeeeeeell no

I'm on the final chapter of Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo and just when I was about to write this VN off as somewhat dull, I got hit by a plot twist wowz akabei soft2 really likes to mess with me 

Edited by Buddy x Once

Finished part of Narcissu Surmire (first story) and like Narcissu 1 and 2.it really does affect me in a more depressing way. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the sumire story soon :)

Hopefully I'll get sharin no kuni once it hits steam.

Edited by Salieri