Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mandilinn

A Beginner's Guide to: E-girls&E.G.Family [Open]

DB2XIR5.jpg

So you want to know about E-girls? Maybe you've heard other people talking about them or have seen clips on social media of them dancing. However you found out about them, this simple guide is for people wanting to get to know the group, and to help answer some basic questions! I've added as many questions as that I've seen asked that I can think of, but feel free to ask other questions and I'll add them to the OP. Once you feel like you've had your questions answered, please head over to their official threads, where you can chat with other fans!

a5mBLoL.png

E-girls began as a girls' entertainment project in 2011. The group's main function was to help promote the individual groups: Dream, Happiness, and Flower. With their 3rd single "Follow Me", the group had a breakthrough and E-girls became more popular than any of the individual groups. Their vibrant music videos, strong choreography, and upbeat, modern sound helped them establish their own unique style that made them stand out from other girl groups. After a few singles, the group added EXPG members from Rabbits (high school students) and Bunny (middle school and younger) to the group as members for the purpose of training them. After the 3rd and 4th singles, Rabbits&Bunny were just referred to as E-girls members.

E-girls is comprised of two types of members: vocalists and performers. In some cases, vocalists are also performers (Happiness vocalists are both), but typically members are one or the other.

gM4tFQZ.png

On June 5th, 2017, E-girls announced that they would be "evolving" into a new organization after 6 years together. Rather than every member of every group forming into one large super group, 11 members would remain in E-girls and 8 members would step down, choosing to remain in their individual groups and expanding into other projects. Only one member, E-girls leader and Dream member Aya, decided to retire from performing completely. Every one of the groups is now under the new organization known as "E.G.Family", which allows them to pursue their own dreams and projects while remaining connected. The members expressed the hope that E.G. Family would one day tour together the way the original E-girls did.

Check out the full announcement here.

Check out another easy guide to E.G. Family on OH's official blog here.

2gElsxi.png

Q: Who is the oldest member of E.G Family?

That would be Dream Aya, who is 30. She’s the photographer and creative director for E.G. Family, and former leader of 19-member E-girls.

Q: Who is the youngest member?

19-year old Ishii Anna! She’s a performer member in E-girls and an aspiring actress.

Q: Are there any foreign members?

Sudanna (Happiness/E-girls/SudannaYuzuYully) is Japanese-Filipina! Former Dream member/DJ Erie is Japanese-Korean.

Q: Are there any siblings in E.G.Family?

Shuuka (Flower/ShuuKaRen) and Karen (Happiness/E-girls/ShuuKaRen) are sisters. They have an older brother in Johnny's West named Ryuusei.

Q: What is their fan base like?

It leans in certain directions more than others depending on the individual group, but overall, they have a pretty even mix of fans from every age group and gender.

Q: Where can I stream their music?

Every group’s discography is available on Spotify except for Flower and ShuuKaRen. Those two are only available in Japan, probably due to them being under Sony.

Q: What are their "seifuku" dances and where can I watch them?

"Seifuku" dances were usually added to the beginning or end of E-girls' MVs (though in a few cases, they were worked into the middle of a MV). They used instrumental tracks and were a display of the group's dance talent. In most, the members are wearing "seifuku" or school uniforms. The group started doing them with their second single ("One Two Three"), and stopped doing them after their third album (E.G.Time). Most seifuku dances are available to watch on Avex's Official channel. They have the name of the single they're paired with in the title.

Q: Why are there only a few vocalists?

E-girls' format is inherited from the dance&vocal group EXILE (E-girls = "EXILE-girls"), who uses few vocalists and is mainly made up of performers. Both sets of members are allowed to shine this way.

Q: What influenced them? They look similar to K-Pop sometimes.

They weren't influenced by K-Pop (though there are some members who are fans of K-Pop!). E-girls inherited a lot from their parent group EXILE, who debuted as the dance and vocal group J Soul Brothers in the 90s. They're very similar to girl groups/artists from that same era of J-Pop, like Namie Amuro, SPEED, and MAX. The music styles may have changed since then obviously, but they've retained the vocal&dance talent, "modern" sound, fashionable looks, and contrasting cool&cute attitude that made those 90s acts so popular.

Q: I've heard some people call them idols and others call them artists. Which one are they?

Like the 90s acts before them, they're technically both. However, the industry has changed since then and the line between idol/artist is less clear now, so whatever the company decides to label them as is what they are (the company has labeled them artists).

Q: What is LDH and what does it stand for?

LDH is their management company and it stands for "Love Dream Happiness".

Q: Where can I watch variety clips of them? I like their music, but I want to know more about them, too.

You can watch English-subbed mini-documentaries of some members and music show talk segments here. More music show talks and some English subbed profiles can be found here. There's also an English version of their management's website available here. News, release info, and a release schedule can be seen there, along with basic artist profiles, and links to each official website.

awesome guide, nice job!

i rewmember when i first got into e girls like2 years ago in 2015, it took me like a year of studying to fully understand the system,

And with the recent restructiuring with eg family, i just totally gave up

Great guide! Could u also add a link to where they can find gifs and edits of the girls. I remember a few ppl ask about if egirls had like a tumblr page that fans made where they can reblog stuff. Like Egirlsnet

ShuuKaRen is available in Spotify though and also Flower but not all discography

Great job!! Now I can show to my friends that want to know more about the groups.

And ShuuKaRen discography is available on my country (Brazil) 👀

do e-girls and others unit have Fandom names like in kpop? Do they have official color or lightstick for concerts?

Sent from my FRD-L09 using OneHallyu mobile app

Dream fans call themselves 'Dreamers' but is not official and for their concerts, ever since 2001 there has been all sorts of merchandise, not just lightsticks.

https://www.generasia.com/wiki/Dream_(group)

Sent from my SM-G935P using OneHallyu mobile app

Wow this is a really good guide!

I'm kinda sad they stopped doing seifuku dances... They had some really good dances

Wow this is a really good guide!

I'm kinda sad they stopped doing seifuku dances... They had some really good dances

I missed that. It might be because the girls have aren’t in high school anymore.

I missed that. It might be because the girls have aren’t in high school anymore.

True, but I don't think they should've stopped because of that.... They had the Mr. Snowman "Snow Dance" and they weren't  wearing school uniforms in that

True, but I don't think they should've stopped because of that.... They had the Mr. Snowman "Snow Dance" and they weren't  wearing school uniforms in that

What I've been saying for the past few years. 

I think it's a real shame they stopped the dances because that's one of the best parts that give the performers more chances to shine. 

But well, they've cut down the number of members now, so I guess exposure shouldn't be as much as a problem as it was back then. I still wish they brought back the dances though. 

What I've been saying for the past few years. 

I think it's a real shame they stopped the dances because that's one of the best parts that give the performers more chances to shine. 

But well, they've cut down the number of members now, so I guess exposure shouldn't be as much as a problem as it was back then. I still wish they brought back the dances though. 

I always felt that in the seifuku dances they could show more of their skills versus the actual music video, so I'm kinda sad because sometimes the dances were better than the music video choreography... 

Thanks as always, Amanda! You're the best!

Just in addition to Ruri and Karen, Yuzuna is also both a vocalist and performer...

:

:

I really miss seifuku dances, too.. They really need to be able to showcase their talent in dancing more

do e-girls and others unit have Fandom names like in kpop? Do they have official color or lightstick for concerts?

Sent from my FRD-L09 using OneHallyu mobile app

No official fandom names. The only girl group with a color is E-girls and it's pink. Don't ask me why. Most of the guy groups in LDH have their own colors.

Personalized lightsticks aren't really a thing in J-Pop in general. If they do sell them as a concert good, it's different for every concert.

What about Dream?

What about Dream?

The individual members are there (I should add one for Aya, even if she isn't a performer anymore), but this is mostly centered around the current E.G.Family structure. Adding everything about the old version of E-girls would confuse people. I want this to be simple.