13 replies to this topic

#1 timpa

timpa

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...eets/index.html

President Donald Trump suggested Thursday that Puerto Rico is going to have to shoulder more responsibility for recovery efforts from Hurricane Maria, saying the federal government's emergency responders can't stay there "forever."

His comments -- in which he also blamed the beleaguered island for a financial crisis "largely of their own making" and infrastructure that was a "disaster" before the hurricane -- come as Puerto Rico still reels from a lack of electricity, public health access and a rising death toll. Texas and Florida -- two states Trump won during last year's presidential election -- also were struck by severe hurricanes recently, but the President has made no public indication that the federal government is pulling back on its response there.

Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pennsylvania, who is a member of the House foreign affairs committee, told CNN's Chris Cuomo Thursday there's only "so much" the US can do to help Puerto Rico.

"I would then again say, 'What is enough?' What is the right amount to satisfy whoever says we're not doing enough," he said on "New Day." "It's regrettable and it's sad for those people but there only is physically, humanly possible so much that any nation could do in the wake of devastation."

Pieces of shit... What part of 95% of the country without power and many without clean drinking water is hard to comprehend? These are US citizens. You stay and help until things are fixed, period.

#2 ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

I think there is a reason he said that. Trump is crass but not completely off base.

#3 timpa

timpa

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

I think there is a reason he said that. Trump is crass but not completely off base.

Didnt he mention multiple times during his campaign how much the US has "wasted" trying to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan and it should have been spent on Americans?

These are literally Americans who need that type of rebuild.

#4 milkcafe

milkcafe

「requiem」

• PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

it's like trump keeps forgetting that puerto rico is part of america. but i guess it's not part of the america he wants to "make great again".

#5 ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:06 AM (Edited by ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥, 12 October 2017 - 11:12 AM.)

Didnt he mention multiple times during his campaign how much the US has "wasted" trying to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan and it should have been spent on Americans?

These are literally Americans who need that type of rebuild.

Edit: So someone showed me a document that states they are, so I wanted to take the time to say that I am sorry and I was wrong

#6 gimmi

gimmi

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:11 AM (Edited by gimmi, 12 October 2017 - 10:12 AM.)

Puerto Ricans are not Americans, you want to try again?

Puerto Rico is part of the USA, tho.

#7 Ababa827

Ababa827

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:20 AM (Edited by Ababa827, 12 October 2017 - 10:21 AM.)

Lol "can't stay there forever" after 2 weeks. Meanwhile in the Middle East...

#8 Fat Ass Kelly Price

Fat Ass Kelly Price

Twice Saranghae!!

• PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPoint Nemo

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Puerto Ricans are not Americans, you want to try again?

Puerto Rico is US territory and they ARE Americans 

#9 ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM (Edited by ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥, 12 October 2017 - 11:12 AM.)

Puerto Rico is part of the USA, tho.

Unfortunately its hard to really know how effective Trump's work has been.

On one hand the Trump admin has had to help give relief Texas, Florida, and now PR. You have limited resources so you have to have care on how you use them. I challenge anyone who knows as much as a president would, tell me how you would allocate resources to hurricanes that are back to back. The governor of San Juan says Trump and the feds are doing a good job. Trump removed the Jones Act. All in all considering that these last few hurricanes are back to back, he has done a fair job.

On the other hand, how much of what is going on in PR is his responsibility. You have resources not being distributed, whose fault is that? When you have to major not meeting with FEMA, is that Trump's fault? Should Trump send more people to make sure stuff like this gets taken care of? I don't know, maybe. Is Trump in charge of sending resources and making sure all the people get them?

Edit: So someone showed me a document that states they are, so I wanted to take the time to say that I am sorry and I was wrong

Puerto Rico is US territory and they ARE Americans 

#10 pooh_bear

pooh_bear

Idol

• PipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

This is all sorts of fucked up. Puerto Rico has nothing and he's planning on just leaving them to fend for themselves.

Of course his supporters aren't gonna see anything wrong with this because they don't know that Puerto Rico is US territory and by law their people are American citizens and as the president it's his job to take care of them. 

As if it wasn't obvious from the beginning, this man has no clue what to do

#11 ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:04 AM (Edited by ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥, 12 October 2017 - 11:09 AM.)

This is all sorts of fucked up. Puerto Rico has nothing and he's planning on just leaving them to fend for themselves.

Of course his supporters aren't gonna see anything wrong with this because they don't know that Puerto Rico is US territory and by law their people are American citizens and as the president it's his job to take care of them. 

As if it wasn't obvious from the beginning, this man has no clue what to do

He didn't say he was leaving (although eventually he will have to, duh). He said he can't stay thier forever, which he should NOT have said but that doesn't make it untrue. Trump according to the Governor of PR said he was doing a good job, so who are you to say he isn't (in some way) taking care of them. Don't some hospitals have electricity, do they not have resources being shipped in? Not for nothing but its not Trump's fault if the people in leadership thier are not doing thier jobs distributing resources well or making ways for resources to be received.

Edit: Made changes after reading a 1917 doc, so I apologize.

#12 CamCam

CamCam

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationJuggling cheer squad with WJSN, and preparing Yuehua & RBW Kings for their royal debuts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM (Edited by CamCam, 12 October 2017 - 12:38 PM.)

Well there ya have it, Trump supporters

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

Your president telling an American territory & its American inhabitants that they're left to fend for themselves. Looks to me like his Make America Great Again had a nice little asterisk that excluded PR. Sad how much the rest of the country has to deal with such a heartless a-hole like him.

#13 TracerB

TracerB

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Well there ya have it, Trump supporters

http://a.fod4.com/images/GifGuide/clappi...

Your president telling an American territory & its American inhabitants that they're left to fend for themselves. Looks to me like his Make America Great Again had a nice little asterisk that excluded PR. Sad how much the rest of the country has to deal with such a heartless a-hole like him.

To think there are still people that support him after this... what a joke.

#14 thefacts

thefacts

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Don't most Hispanics and Latinos think of themselves as white? The tribalism tension between Hispanics and Latinos and "white Americans" is really interesting.

Up, Up and Away!