Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Lexurite

Chinese drama recommendations

Recently, I watched Boss & Me and found it quite cute! Some people don't like Zhang Han for acting the same roles, but this was only the second drama of his that I've watched, so I thought it was fine.  :)

• Like 1

If you like traditional dramas, The Empress of China (武媚娘传奇) was really good.

001ec979096315aefefe06.jpg

Edited by LoveRain
  • Like 1

I highly recommend Legend of Zhen Huan:

00247e701cc91202d41b1d.JPG

and Sound of the Desert/Da Mo Yao:

a044db7956.jpg?x=b&s=590x330&q=h&e=t&f=t

Does anyone know where I can watch Beauty's Rival in the Palace/Schemes of a Beauty/MeiRenXinJi ?

• Like 1

Anyone has some cute dramas recommendations like Boss and me? None tw dramas 

it's hard to find chinese dramas subbed  :._.:

ISWAK, Brown Sugar Macchiato, Devil Beside You, In a Good Way, Autumn's Concerto, Fated To Love You,

Pi Li MIT, Black & White, The Rose, Miss No Good.

• Like 1

Have you seen these yet?

Guo Guang Yi Xiao

Toast Boy Kiss

Secret Garden

Meteor garden 1,2,3

Lavender

Mars

The Outsiders

Demi Gods & Semi Devils

Return of the Condor Heroes

Sword Stained with Royal Blood

A Chinese Ghost Story

Happy Ghost 1,2,3

New Police Story

Bump Off Lover

Devils Beside You

Romantic Princess

Smiling pasta

It Started With A Kiss

Fated to Love You

Autumn's Concerto

Easy fortune happy life

Pi Li MIT/ Mysterious Incredible Terminator

海角七號/Cape No. 7

H.I.T

The Royal Tramp

Red CIiff 1&2

100 Ways To Murder Your Wife

Feng shui family

Edited by Truth_hurts
  • Like 1

I recommend the Journey of Flowers. I'm in the middle of it and I got really hooked. Only showing 2 days per week so it's not going to overwhelm you. I heard the book is a wonderful masterpiece and I'd love to read it too, later this year, after the series finishes airing!  :ahmagah: I like the drama so much I don't want to spoil myself XD

704_1315201_353306_zpsa9440ad0.jpg

• Like 2

Recently I just finished In Time With You and it's super good. It's pretty different from other generic C-dramas & T-dramas, the story is beautiful. It has a lot of life lessons and the romance is beautiful as well. It's so heartwarming watching it. 

At first I was really skeptical before watching it although I've heard others saying it's good and it's super popular. If not for the K-ver I wouldn't bother watching it because usually C-dramas and T-dramas aren't to my taste. But this drama actually exceeded my expectation so much. It's so good.

I still got a lot of feels from it  :rlytearpls: So I definitely highly recommend In Time With You.

If there's a drama similar with In Time With You please tell me.

Edited by riribl

Honey Clover Taiwanese version (adaptation from Japanese manga "Honey Clover"). I love all of the characters in the drama and it is the best Honey Clover adaption imo. 

1766004380_small.jpg

Commenting and following this thread for reasons. Legend of Zhen Huan has me hooked. I guess the next one I should watch is Empress of China??? HElp pls. 

Rock n Road is a good passtime, not a drama but æˆ‘的少女時代 is a really great watch! 

Nirvana in Fire (period drama involving political powerplay, wuxia) - highly recommended, it's a little confusing in the beginning because I didn't read the novel but reading the synopsis definitely helps. It's really good that I went pass the sub and finished the whole series with my limited understanding of Chinese. 

• Like 1

Im not sure where to ask but asking here is fine i guess, can someone tell me if the empress of china has finish airing or not? If not when will it finish?

It finished airing in february for mainland china and in july for taiwan and hong kong.

--

Hong Kong dramas

The Legend of the Condor Heroes 1983 (Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, Sharon Yeung)

005056c000011512096937.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The story is set in the Song dynasty and at the beginning of the Jurchen-ruled Jin dynasty's invasion of northern China. The first part of the novel revolves around the friendship of two men, Yang Tiexin and Guo Xiaotian, who became heroes in their own right as they fought the Jin invaders. The bond between the duo is so strong that they pledge to each other that their unborn children will become either be sworn siblings (if both are of the same sex) or a married couple (if they are of opposite sexes).

The story focuses on the trials and tribulations of their sons after Guo Xiaotian's death and Yang Tiexin's disappearance. Guo Xiaotian's son, Guo Jing, grows up in Mongolia under the care of Genghis Khan. Yang Tiexin's son, Yang Kang, on the other hand, grows up in Jin as a Jurchen prince's son. Guo Jing is mentored by the "Seven Freaks of Jiangnan" in martial arts but he is a slow learner and only manages to master part of the skills he was taught. However, he improves his skills after receiving advice from Ma Yu of the Quanzhen Sect. Yang Kang is tutored by Qiu Chuji, who is also from Quanzhen, but he secretly learns the evil "Nine Yin White Bone Claw" from Mei Chaofeng.

The Return of the Condor Heroes 1983 (Andy Lau and Idy Chan)

rochCover.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The protagonist, Yang Guo, is the orphaned son of Yang Kang, the antagonist in The Legend of the Condor Heroes. The couple Guo Jing and Huang Rong take Yang Guo under their care for a short period of time before sending him to the Quanzhen Sect on Mount Zhongnan for better guidance in moral values and orthodox martial arts. In Quanzhen, Yang Guo is often picked on and bullied by his fellow students, and discriminated against by his master, Zhao Zhijing. Yang Guo flees from Quanzhen and ventures unknowingly into the nearby Tomb of the Living Dead, where the Ancient Tomb Sect is housed. He is saved byXiaolongnü, a mysterious maiden of unknown origin, and becomes her apprentice. They live together in the tomb for many years until Yang Guo grows up. 

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils 1982 (Bryan Leung, Kent Tong, Felix Wong, Idy Chan)

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils 1997 (Felix Wong, Benny Chan, Louis Fan, Carmen Lee)

200px-Demi-Gods_and_Semi-Devils_%281982_ OfficialPoster.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The main thematic element of the novel concerns the complex, troubled relationships between the great multitude of characters from various empires and martial arts sects, and the inherent bond that underlies the struggles of each. The novel examines the cause and effect that forms and breaks these bonds on five uniquely corresponding levels: self, family, society, ethnic group, and country (dominion). The novel is primarily set in the Northern Song dynasty (960–1127) of China, but its setting also covers the non-Han Chinese empires of LiaoDaliWestern Xia and Tibet

The Greed of Man (Damian Lau, Adam Cheng, Yammie Lam, Sean Lau, Vivian Chow, Amy Kwok)

The%20Greed%20of%20Man.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Greed of Man is a Hong Kong television series first broadcast on TVB Jade in 1992.[1] The story, spanning three decades from the 1970s to the 1990s in Hong Kong and Taiwan, addresses various social and financial phenomena of the times, from triad violence to corruption in the Hong Kong stock exchange. It featured a top roster cast, including veteran TVB actors Adam Cheng and Damian Lau and award-winning actor Sean Lau. The series is also well remembered for a Hong Kong stock market cultural phenomenon called the "Ting Hai effect".[3] 

Hong Kong films:

A Better Tomorrow (Ti Lung, Leslie Cheung, Chow Yun-fat)

A_Better_Tomorrow-p2.jpg

A Better Tomorrow 2 (Ti Lung, Leslie Cheung, Chow Yun-fat)

A_Better_Tomorrow_2.jpg

The Killer (Chow Yun-fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh)

215px-The-Killer-1989-Poster.jpg

• Like 1

Hello

Any controversy Taiwanese/Chinese school drama about teen pregnancy or love affair between teacher and student?

Grew up watching TVB so mostly going to recommend HK dramas just to spread the love. Although I don't watch them anymore, I can't say enough about how good HK dramas were back then.  If you're new to HK dramas, I would recommend watching the ones in the 90s to early 2000s to really appreciate how good HK dramas can be. I only watched 1 drama from the 80s so I can't say much about that era. I would say the storyline and acting would be equally as good but some may be turned off by the old production settings/effects/makeup.

I'm not sure where you can find old hk dramas, yet alone find ones with english subtitles which is kinda sad but anyways these are some of the dramas I remembered liking (many others also): 

TVB

Cold Blood Warm Heart  96

Secret of the Heart  98

Demi Gods Semi Devils* 97

The Legend of the Condor Heroes* 94

Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre* 2000 

98/00

Eternal Happiness 02

*  96/98

Safe Guards 06' .. most recent one on this list, probably stopped around this time.

*ones that may have multiple remakes, these were the versions I watched 1st so no other versions will compare. this will be different for other people depending on whichever version they watched. storyline is bomb either way.

and ATV dramas that are must watch! :

98'

98'/00'

01'

added theme songs....so nostalgic...ahh having withdrawals listening to the songs...good times  :)

Edited by vic19
  • Like 2

I'm almost finished watching Nirvana in Heaven. I've never seen anything quite so amazing. I love how intricate the plot is and how good the acting is. Are there any other dramas like this in terms of quality?

• Like 1

愛我請留言 Swipe Tap Love

I cried so hard watching it (happy tears though). And it has great intro music. :)

57657.jpg

Does anybody have a  good romantic c-drama or t-drama with happy ending??

My Sunshine/Silent Separation/何以笙箫默 is pretty decent, though it can't even compare to the book.

It is a very light drama though (which is why I stop after a few eps, I'm into drama's similar to The Disguiser or NIF), it doesn't capture the sort of longing as in the book.

Also if you want something light,

is also great. I particularly liked

Also if you want to see a classic, there is

, which along with Princess Pearl is fond childhood memory for an entire generation of Chinese people. (1 EP is bit slow, story picks up by EP2) Edited by luhai167

Does anybody have a  good romantic c-drama or t-drama with happy ending??

The modern c-drama I watched is

Boss & Me

My Sunshine

Both are heart-warming. 

Edited by Lihongkim

I'm almost finished watching Nirvana in Heaven. I've never seen anything quite so amazing. I love how intricate the plot is and how good the acting is. Are there any other dramas like this in terms of quality?

You can try the disguiser and zhen huan zhuan