Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Yul-aholic

Girls' Generation/SNSD - A Complete Data Record (Sales, Streams, Achievements & More!)

"How many daesangs has SNSD won?"

Since there are a lot of different numbers going around and people have been asking me to clarify it ever since I created this thread, I decided to write this post explaining the two main criteria that are currently used by k-pop fans and list all the daesangs SNSD has won based on each of them.

Please keep in mind that some names were roughly translated due to the lack of sources in english and can differ from the names used by other websites - I added the date the awards were given so everyone reading this post can be sure of which award I'm referring to.

--

When it comes to daesangs, there are two main criteria that are taken into account to define the number of grand prizes a group or a soloist has won.

The first one, that has been widely used by k-pop fans and journalists alike since the second generation, only acknowledges the grand prizes given by the seven - formerly five - biggest awards shows of the korean music industry: Asia Artist Awards, Golden Disk Awards, Korean Music Awards, Melon Music Awards, Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), Seoul Music Awards and Soribada Music Awards.

According to this criteria, these are the daesangs under SNSD's name:

09.12.10 - Song of the Year @ Golden Disc Awards

09.12.16 - Artist of the Year @ Melon Music Awards

09.12.16 - Song of the Year @ Melon Music Awards

10.02.03 - Daesang @ Seoul Music Awards

10.03.30 - Song of the Year @ Korea Music Awards

10.12.09 - Album of the Year @ Golden Disc Awards

10.12.15 - Artist of the Year @ Melon Music Awards

11.01.20 - Daesang @ Seoul Music Awards

11.11.24 - Global Star Daesang* @ Melon Music Awards

11.11.29 - Artist of the Year @ Mnet Asian Music Awards

12.01.12 - Song of the Year @ Golden Disc Awards

*retroactively made a daesang by MMA in 2017

Total: 11

However, it is becoming more and more common to also count the grand prizes given by less prestigious awards shows, whether or not they're part of the Big 7. This is the criteria used by most of the 3rd generation groups' stans.

All the daesangs listed above

+

09.11.30 - Artist of the Year @ Korean Culture Entertainment Awards

09.12.28 - Star of the Year @ Sports Korea Awards

10.02.19 - Artist of the Year @ Korea PD Awards

10.09.23 - Artist of the Year @ Korean Broadcasting Awards

10.12.02 - Art Category Daesang @ Proud Korean Awards

10.12.27 - Star of the Year @ Sports Korea Awards

10.12.30 - Song of the Year @ KBS Music Festival (KBS Gayo)

11.02.28 - Artist of the Year @ Korean Republic Seoul Art & Culture Award 

11.12.15 - Hallyu Grand Award @ Korean Cultural Entertainment Awards

11.12.26 - Star of the Year @ Sports Korea Awards

Total: 21

These are the two main criteria used nowadays - I, for example, use the first one in this thread's list of grand prizes. There's also a third that doesn't take into account the importance of the awards show that is giving the prize and considers every "... of the Year" award as a daesang, which would push SNSD's aggregate to almost 30 more than 30. However, it isn't really taken seriously and mostly used to inflate the artist's achievements.

Edit: someone on Twitter reminded me about the Sports Korea's daesangs that for some reason I ignored :v

Edit 2: rewrote a few things because the original post was a mess with a lot of information out of place

This. lovestruck.png

Queens only.

Also really appreciate your hardwork op lovestruck.png

Edited by G.E.B

SLAY! Choke them with FACTS OP!

Dda86uA.jpg

and btw why is the Wikipedia's Best Selling GG isn't updated yet? I wanna see Soshi there back!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_girl_groups

Every time someone tries to edit the page and add k-pop groups the mods will quickly undo the changes. They claim our sources aren't legit because they aren't in english and other dumb excuses.

This. lovestruck.png

Queens only.

Also really appreciate your hardwork op lovestruck.png

Thank you chuplz.png

I'm collecting GIRL GROUP pre-gaon sales (pH/dgt),but for some groups I can't find any data,so do you where I can find them?Like best selling singles of 2009 like you did here?

I'm collecting GIRL GROUP pre-gaon sales (pH/dgt),but for some groups I can't find any data,so do you where I can find them?Like best selling singles of 2009 like you did here?

I linked all the sources I used here. If you have any questions that weren't answered by the FAQ section feel free to ask!

• Like 1

Lazy op where are China streams?

I linked all the sources I used here. If you have any questions that weren't answered by the FAQ section feel free to ask!

✓

Every time someone tries to edit the page and add k-pop groups the mods will quickly undo the changes. They claim our sources aren't legit because they aren't in english and other dumb excuses.

RacisMe against ASIANS strikes again!

why is it always happening tho OP? I mean there are such no problems like this before when Soshi and Kpop groups were still enlisted on the page, right? 

Edited by STORM BLOOM

I have some questions just with the physical sales~

1. Why are the non-gaon sales for Mr. Mr., Lion Heart and Holiday Night includeded in the totals? Didn't that change in 2014? 

2. Why are the Oricon certifications not included for total sales when Gaon sales are and both of them count shipments? 

3. Taeyeons christmas DVD had some +5k on hanteo no?

4. Would you count Taeyeons Stay limited single into their total sales for those who bought it with the tickets for her showcase or is that not eligible? 

Anyway good job! 

For the daesang discussion there's even videos of them accepting some of those lesser known daesangs, it's pretty ridiculous that another fandom tried to discredit them for Soshi while counting them for their faves but apparently that's where kpop's at now, gotta make your fave top everything even if it means straight up lying

Edited by Soshill

2018 Gaon Year-End Album Chart

Something New

#63 - 70,400 (New)

Thread updated with all the 2018 figures!

RacisMe against ASIANS strikes again!

why is it always happening tho OP? I mean there are such no problems like this before when Soshi and Kpop groups were still enlisted on the page, right? 

Yes, back then all the numbers came from an Insider Monkey article, but one day someone decided it wasn't a trustworthy source (which it truly wasn't tbh) and edited the whole thing. Now they're using other western sources and are not letting k-pop fans add korean groups because, as I said, they don't think our receipts are "legit".

I have some questions just with the physical sales~

1. Why are the non-gaon sales for Mr. Mr., Lion Heart and Holiday Night includeded in the totals? Didn't that change in 2014? 

2. Why are the Oricon certifications not included for total sales when Gaon sales are and both of them count shipments? 

3. Taeyeons christmas DVD had some +5k on hanteo no?

4. Would you count Taeyeons Stay limited single into their total sales for those who bought it with the tickets for her showcase or is that not eligible? 

Anyway good job! 

For the daesang discussion there's even videos of them accepting some of those lesser known daesangs, it's pretty ridiculous that another fandom tried to discredit them for Soshi while counting them for their faves but apparently that's where kpop's at now, gotta make your fave top everything even if it means straight up lying

1. Check the FAQ for more info on it.

2. You mean the RIAJ certifications, right? Both because most certifications are lower than the Oricon numbers (e.g. Love & Peace, 177,597+ on Oricon and Gold (100,000) on RIAJ) and because I wanted to use the same source for all the japanese albums to keep everything uniform. I added the certifications each album got though.

3. Yes, I actually do want to add those sales! The thing is that Gaon doesn't record sales of DVDs/BDs and Hanteo requires a subscription to be accessed, so I couldn't find any trustworthy source with the sales up to date. I even asked the OP of the Hanteo thread about the sales of Phantasia in Seoul and The Magic of Christmas Time, but to no avail. I'll try again.

4. If they were counted by any record chart, yes.

Thanks!

Yeah lol, it's kind of sad that they keep manipulating data and sometimes straight up lying to make their faves look better than Soshi - and I'm not talking about the trolls that exist in every fandom, I'm talking about big accounts that post false information and refuse to stand corrected when called out. I hope they'll get rid of this unhealthy obsession and let those girls walk their own path instead of making them being forever stuck in the shadows of SNSD.

New award for Tiffany, her very first american one rlytearpls.png

Pre-orders of her album also doing well!~

(make sure to get yours asap since apparently the production will be limited)

How about iTunes?

Working on it! We have some numbers already but it's hard to find sources for older songs, so there's a chance that the list will end up being incomplete due to the lack of them.

Any news on Tiffany's physical sales in Korea for Lips on Lips? I saw on Twitter she sold 20k for first week but they didn't source their claim.

New award for Tiffany, her very first american one rlytearpls.png

Pre-orders of her album also doing well!~

(make sure to get yours asap since apparently the production will be limited)

Working on it! We have some numbers already but it's hard to find sources for older songs, so there's a chance that the list will end up being incomplete due to the lack of them.

You mean listing every freaking song with it's peak on iTunes? that's crazy!Well anyway I'm doing it for T-ARA,old songs are the hardest but sometimes I just use recharting songs,and btw for old chart try to use Twitter,it helps I actually just found out that some old songs charted #1 in iTunes Jp and I never heard of it lol.

BIG POST FULL OF UPDATES

Gonna post tweets because I'm a lazy bitch

Didn't even know such award existed but it's actually legit lmfao

Please let me know if I forgot something!

Any news on Tiffany's physical sales in Korea for Lips on Lips? I saw on Twitter she sold 20k for first week but they didn't source their claim.

It's probably based on the fact that she received a platinum certification from Universal Music Korea, which is said to give those plates to all the artists that sell over 20k copies of their albums. I'm still waiting for Gaon's monthly chart to confirm the exact number of sales though, IIRC it will be published this week.

Edit: here you go! Maybe UMK gives platinum certifications to albums that sell over 10k copies, or maybe some of the sales weren't counted by Gaon but by overseas charts (afaik Lips On Lips never showed on Hanteo which is weird).

2IISBOH.png

You mean listing every freaking song with it's peak on iTunes? that's crazy!Well anyway I'm doing it for T-ARA,old songs are the hardest but sometimes I just use recharting songs,and btw for old chart try to use Twitter,it helps I actually just found out that some old songs charted #1 in iTunes Jp and I never heard of it lol.

Good luck! When I can't find what I'm looking for on the official charts I usually search on OH, ATRL and Soompi Forums, but Twitter is a good place to dig for receipts as well. Just be careful to double check every info you come across.

Any new updates?

Done!

Edited by Yul-aholic

Do you have a link to Taeyeon's voice album on Xiami?

Edited by Sindim

✓ I don't understand the baby baby repack wasn't released under a Japanese company so why should jp sales be counted ?

✓ How did you count SPS sales of Gee?

Short update because OH has been a mess and this is the first time in weeks it isn't down when I try to access it (though it is still glitched as fuck, half of this thread's posts aren't showing and I can't even use the edition tools to write this post).

Anyway, I decided to change the thread's layout from text to pictures to make it prettier and easier for people to find what they're looking for (I'll keep providing a link with the text version for those with slow internet connection though, don't worry). It will take a while as I'm still in the process of rechecking all the figures to see if there were any typos or mistakes, but please let me know what you guys think of it.

At last but not least, a friend of mine made this updated chart of their awards. Enjoy!

bnS2VXv.jpg

(third time trying to post this please stop being such a bitch @ OH)

EDIT (19.06.17):

Thread updated with figures from A Walk to Remember and Four Seasons!

Four Seasons Digital Sales

JkVoucE.png

- QQ: 180,671
- Kuguo: 25,608
- Kuwo 1,937

Total: 208,216

A Walk to Remember Digital Sales

VKpus4T.jpg

- QQ: 31,250

Total: 31,250

A Walk to Remember Album Sales

bQNebUo.png

- Gaon: 26,709 

Total: 26,709

Edited by Yul-aholic

TAEYEON - Rain 2,500,000+ downloads on Gaon

http://www.gaonchart.co.kr/main/section/article/view.gaon?idx=15819&sgenre=opinion

EE5MDAbUcAIEb1k?format=png&name=900x900

YOONA - A Walk to Remember (Regular + Kinho) 49,862 + 3,355 = 53,217+ sales on Gaon (June monthly update)

http://www.gaonchart.co.kr/main/section/chart/album.gaon?nationGbn=T&serviceGbn=&targetTime=06&hitYear=2019&termGbn=month

It also has 2000+ downloads in the US according to Nielsen Music

https://web.archive.org/web/20190626073054/https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8516040/girls-generation-yoona-solo-debut-world-albums-chart

TAEYEON - Voice 18,693+ sales on Oricon 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190710045947/https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/m/2019-06/p/2/

Edited by Solemn_Penance

TAEYEON - Four Seasons is certified platinum for streaming on Gaon (100,000,000 streams), becoming the first SM artist to do so.

EIxQqljUwAEg5Iq?format=jpg&name=medium

http://gaonchart.co.kr/main/section/certification/list.gaon?serviceGbn=S1040 

https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=609&aid=0000199236

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/609/0000199236

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 5:45 AM, Solemn_Penance said:

“The Boys” — Worldwide Sales: 8,100,000+

Total awards update

I wonder how the Worldwide sales are counted exactly (except Kr+Chn sales).I mean there are many formulas to count like 1500 streams=1 album unit or 150 streams=1 single unit (download),also don't think they mentioned the sources spotify/YT.

One more thing,the or sales have +4M sales while the official number from gaon have +3M,I wonder if the remaining numbers are from gaon streams (converted).

Gee digital sales (worldwide): 12,500,000+

Isn't 5,000,000+ in Korea the absolute minimum estimate? And from years ago too 😅

16 hours ago, Solemn_Penance said:

Gee digital sales (worldwide): 12,500,000+

Isn't 5,000,000+ in Korea the absolute minimum estimate? And from years ago too 😅

I guess Yes 5M is the minimum number It should have +6M but we don't have anything official.