Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
VISION

Official Vocals thread (READ OP FIRST)

9 hours ago, Hexox said:

Can we still talk about K-Pop or ?

We can! I mean the thread is not as active (on a lifeline actually) but yeah, we can.

9 hours ago, Hexox said:

The newer groups are very disappointing. I didn't expect a whole Wendy but the fact that there is not someone on Jihyo/Seulgi level is really awful.

Chuu from LOONA is alright. Siyeon from Dreamcatcher seems ok too. But I think that's all ? Itzy, Everglow and (G)I-DLE's main vocalists are all mediocre, nobody stands out so far. Seems like we're going to wait for the SMNGG to have good idol vocalists

I agree though. Tbh, I haven't really caught up with the newer groups that much yet but from what I had heard of them, they're a bit underwhelming. Most of them have really shallow support going on, nasal and unsteady airflow which makes them go out of breath and off pitch often. 

Not sure about Chuu but Siyeon is not really any better. She can mix and coordinate her muscles well enough to yell out her high notes but that's about it.  Albeit, I haven't heard them recently (last time was like 2 years ago) but I do remember Yoohyeon being better - has decent support till Bb4 or so- though whether she is still that way, not sure.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hope this thread can be active again. Lol. I've been a lurker here all my life.

Anyways, how about IZ*ONE's Yuri and Cherry Bullet's Bora.

Edited by probee

1 hour ago, probee said:

Hope this thread can be active again. Lol. I've been a lurker here all my life.

Anyways, how about IZ*ONE's Yuri and Cherry Bullet's Bora.

Oof. Lately I like to delve into these vocal stuffs again so I'd be lurking here too lol. But honestly, only for fun or casual discussions. Definitely not those long winded debates loll.

Oh okay, Yuri sounds nice. Compared to many others I've heard recently, she actually keeps a decent amount of breath support throughout her mid range. And there's a lot of clips of her singing in B3~C5 range without any excessive high notes so that's nice. Past C5, she definitely tightens up her throat, squeezing those notes out like at 3.51 (she's mixing better than Choa tho). I hear inconsistencies around A4~B4. 

It seems like she has this tendency to sing a bit too soft and airy. When she's singing in a lighter approach, there's this air quality as well, like her airflow is not steady enough. For example at 0.33, G#4 has support but is a bit airy there. The next clip too, she's singing higher so she's trying to be lighter but ends up going into an almost falsetto-ish quality. But there is enough support at Bb4/B4 like at 3.00 and 3.12. When she tries to sing louder and chestier though shes pushing too much. 

I think she has potential, she's playing it safe a lot. There's pretty decent attempts there but she's not there yet.

Bora sounds shallow. Not as airy but there's less of an attempt to stay grounded in her singing. Those B4s are wayyy too pushed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, Hexox said:

Can we still talk about K-Pop or ?

The newer groups are very disappointing. I didn't expect a whole Wendy but the fact that there is not someone on Jihyo/Seulgi level is really awful.

Chuu from LOONA is alright. Siyeon from Dreamcatcher seems ok too. But I think that's all ? Itzy, Everglow and (G)I-DLE's main vocalists are all mediocre, nobody stands out so far. Seems like we're going to wait for the SMNGG to have good idol vocalists

There's Yechan from PinkFantasy who is decent from what I remember  . 

Jo Yuri from Iz*One is alright too

Edited by StepOnMeJas

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, StepOnMeJas said:

There's Yechan from PinkFantasy who is decent from what I remember  . 

Jo Yuri from Iz*One is alright too

i'm surprised you know yechan 

Edited by BAZISSINO

On 4/18/2020 at 4:14 AM, ZRH23 said:

Oof. Lately I like to delve into these vocal stuffs again so I'd be lurking here too lol. But honestly, only for fun or casual discussions. Definitely not those long winded debates loll.

Oh okay, Yuri sounds nice. Compared to many others I've heard recently, she actually keeps a decent amount of breath support throughout her mid range. And there's a lot of clips of her singing in B3~C5 range without any excessive high notes so that's nice. Past C5, she definitely tightens up her throat, squeezing those notes out like at 3.51 (she's mixing better than Choa tho). I hear inconsistencies around A4~B4. 

It seems like she has this tendency to sing a bit too soft and airy. When she's singing in a lighter approach, there's this air quality as well, like her airflow is not steady enough. For example at 0.33, G#4 has support but is a bit airy there. The next clip too, she's singing higher so she's trying to be lighter but ends up going into an almost falsetto-ish quality. But there is enough support at Bb4/B4 like at 3.00 and 3.12. When she tries to sing louder and chestier though shes pushing too much. 

I think she has potential, she's playing it safe a lot. There's pretty decent attempts there but she's not there yet.

Bora sounds shallow. Not as airy but there's less of an attempt to stay grounded in her singing. Those B4s are wayyy too pushed. 

As a group (not by individual vocalists), is Cherry Bullet the strongest in average overall? I don't stan them (I stan Everglow and ONEUS who are quite vocally underwhelming IMO despite the latter group being under the same company as MAMAMOO lmao), but I think that's the only 4th generation group I can recall which has at least "passable" vocals. 

7 minutes ago, WheeTaeLover said:

As a group (not by individual vocalists), is Cherry Bullet the strongest in average overall? I don't stan them (I stan Everglow and ONEUS who are quite vocally underwhelming IMO despite the latter group being under the same company as MAMAMOO lmao), but I think that's the only 4th generation group I can recall which has at least "passable" vocals. 

no i don't think cherry bullet is the strongest vocal line , bora is weak even her Bb4s aren't that great only haeyoon is average it pretty similar case to dreamcatcher 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Could anyone tell me how is the support for these songs? The songs are exploring more of the lower range and less of the mixed range.
Through these videos is it possible to tell if her support in the lows is better? F#3 supported? Eb3 with support?
Is her head voice supported on the G5?
As for her mix, is it good on Eb5, E5 and F5?

F#3’s @4:42 @4:51 @5:59 @6:07
G3’s/G#3’s @4:55-4:57
G#3’s @6:02-6:05 @6:13-6:15
F#3’s and Eb3’s @07:46 @7:58
G#3 and F#3 @26:02 26:12 @27:11
F#3’s @29:50 @29:59 @30:25 @32:29
E5 @36:23 D5 @3:24
G3 @37:19
F#3’s @37:24 @37:27 @38:43 @38:48 @39:01
G3’s @37:31 @37:50
G5 head voice @40:33
E5 HV @43:33
E5 mixed @43:40
Eb5 and C#5 mixed @47:21
F5 mixed @47:38

Tks

Edited by Igsv
video

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

Could anyone tell me how is the support for these songs? The songs are exploring more of the lower range and less of the mixed range.
Through these videos is it possible to tell if her support in the lows is better? F#3 supported? Eb3 with support?

Tks

Wow okay this is a lot lol. Let's see... Take my comments with a grain of salt btw, my ears may be wrong too

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

All nicely supported. I'm pleasantly surprised, she always did have a nice lower range but this is definitely one of the best examples of it. She's phrasing a lot of notes there with ease and a full tone.

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

The Eb3s sound like they carry nice tone. The projection is a bit lost there but it sounds better than many of her other attempts. I'd be cautious of calling it supported though but it may be.

Every other F#3s and G3s are nice, some seems to be stylistically softer.

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

No, I wouldn't say it's supported. It's got connection but the support isn't there yet. Still sounds a bit shallow, i do think it's more about her developing it rather than she's doing something wrong.

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

E5 sounds pushed. She's growling there so that's a given but her mix sounded tighter before that.

Eb5 is a bit tense, could've been much more opened, def not one of her good ones. C#5 too, not her best. Only the A4 after that sounds open.

F5 is pushed and shouty.

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

This E5 is better but still not quite relaxed, the D5 after too. I think it carries support though. 

This makes me think that maybe she didn't warm up properly before the busking, hence the more projected lower notes but pushed belts.

6 hours ago, WheeTaeLover said:

Uh... I honestly have never heard a song from them so I wouldnt know. But hearing from Bora? Then probably no?

5 hours ago, Igsv said:

Tks

the Eb3 wasn't supported had some low larynx , she's pushing her E5s and the last F5 @ 47:38 was pushed and flat , she still hasn't figured how to support her head voice yet 

18 minutes ago, ZRH23 said:

Uh... I honestly have never heard a song from them so I wouldnt know. But hearing from Bora? Then probably no?

I will just leave this here to help you out 🙃 ...can't really understand how eager was Bora to sing "I" and those flat B4s @3:24 

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2020 at 11:14 AM, ZRH23 said:

breathy coordinations are insanely difficult... they are easy only to those who can’t make a clear tone.  since they feature a very high open quotient, and way more air moving through the voice, the support is very, very difficult to keep steady.  They also have a high cost especially if singing higher - these coordinations tend to bring on the inflammation and will just plain make you tired.  A studio session with lots of breathy stuff is absolutely brutal.

Switching back and forth is also quite difficult.  Most singers who can do both clear and breathy neutral find it more difficult to do both in close succession.  

Edited by Mister Opera

With the stuff I've heard so far Bora is just overrated as a main vocal from Cherry Bullet for being able to yell high notes, nowadays that's the standard of the debuting groups. If you're able to just yell this high, then you're a main vocal.

For more than I like rocket punch, they're also like that. On top of my head I can also mention cignature. It's like they aren't really caring for the technique at all.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shinki said:

With the stuff I've heard so far Bora is just overrated as a main vocal from Cherry Bullet for being able to yell high notes, nowadays that's the standard of the debuting groups. If you're able to just yell this high, then you're a main vocal.

For more than I like rocket punch, they're also like that. On top of my head I can also mention cignature. It's like they aren't really caring for the technique at all.

I think Haeyoon has a better technique than Bora but she's still not that good. Very nasal and tight. However she manages her breath control much better than Bora.

Jungwoo from BVNDIT seems ok btw

1:35 and 1:46 supported A4

She phrased some B4s after it, and they were not bad, although quite pushed. Her tone sounds quite solid, different compared to the breathy/cute vocals in the other groups. Songhee from her group sounds like she has good breath control but her range and technique seem more restricted than Jungwoo.

e.g she sounds nasal and shallow here.

I really like Rocket Punch but their vocals are kind of eh ? Suyun sounds like she could be a lead vocalist but yet she's a main one and strains all the high notes. She has a great tone but...

her voice sounds very breathy and it seems like she lacks support.

Edited by Hexox

20 hours ago, BAZISSINO said:

i'm surprised you know yechan 

I love Pink Fantasy:lovestruck:

13 hours ago, BAZISSINO said:

I will just leave this here to help you out 🙃 ...can't really understand how eager was Bora to sing "I" and those flat B4s @3:24 

Owh, this program is interesting. Yeah, the girl besides Bora sounds generally better in her middle range. Less shallow and less cutesy, but still doesn't really carry good breath support. At least she's singing very light so aside from that, there's not much wrong. 

Oh...Bora.. 'I' is not for you yet LOL. She didn't even get the lyrics right, I think.

8 hours ago, Shinki said:

Unfortunately that's true. But it has been that way for a long time, not just the recent K-pop groups. There weren't really that many good vocalists in the 2014 debut era too. Sure, there's Wendy and Mamamoo and Yuju (the ones i can remember) but besides them, overall it's still pretty much the same. Heck, main vocals with somewhat questionable technique has been going around for a long long time lol. Im not surprised.

There just hasn't been a really good one yet. I guess Jaehwan is a good one from the guys (right?) but maybe there's yet to be a good female idol vocalist. 

3 hours ago, Hexox said:

I think Haeyoon has a better technique than Bora but she's still not that good. Very nasal and tight. However she manages her breath control much better than Bora.

Jungwoo from BVNDIT seems ok btw

1:35 and 1:46 supported A4

She phrased some B4s after it, and they were not bad, although quite pushed. Her tone sounds quite solid, different compared to the breathy/cute vocals in the other groups. Songhee from her group sounds like she has good breath control but her range and technique seem more restricted than Jungwoo.

e.g she sounds nasal and shallow here.

I really like Rocket Punch but their vocals are kind of eh ? Suyun sounds like she could be a lead vocalist but yet she's a main one and strains all the high notes. She has a great tone but...

her voice sounds very breathy and it seems like she lacks support.

Ooh, those A4s are not bad at all, pretty good placement too. I like the head voice transition after, I hear potential 👀.

Songhee sounds nasal, yes. The audio isn't the best but it sounds like mostly in her throat.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of 4th generation groups, this is ONEUS, which is the junior group of MAMAMOO (being under the same company and whatnot). 

I love them as they're my most favorite male 4th generation group (debuted in 2019) and they have pretty vocal tones (especially Seoho), but I don't think any of them properly support? Keonhee seems to have issues with nasality and jaw tension (like look how he protruding his lower jaw when he sings) and for jaw tension, maybe Seoho to an extent (?), Leedo seems to have issues with airiness (I think there's a good chance that he's a baritone but with the airiness it's so hard to tell lol), and all or most of the members seem to sing purely with their throats (which is not support at all and bad technique lol). Xion is hard to tell because he doesn't get a lot of lines and Ravn is a rapper so I don't expect much lol. [Yeah, my mind is not working properly today lol]

First top video: Seoho - blonde-haired dude in left bottom half; Leedo - navy blue-haired dude in right bottom half; Keonhee - middle in top half; Hwanwoong - middle in bottom half; Xion left in top half. 

Second bottom video: Seoho - black-hair dude in left bottom half; Leedo - dirty blonde-haired dude in right top half; Keonhee - silver-haired dude in middle top half; Hwanwoong - blonde-haired dude in left top half; Xion - orange-haired dude in middle bottom half. 

Just need help with clarification (as my mind is not working today). Thanks! :) 

Edited by WheeTaeLover

5 hours ago, ZRH23 said:

Owh, this program is interesting. Yeah, the girl besides Bora sounds generally better in her middle range. Less shallow and less cutesy, but still doesn't really carry good breath support. At least she's singing very light so aside from that, there's not much wrong. 

Oh...Bora.. 'I' is not for you yet LOL. She didn't even get the lyrics right, I think.

Unfortunately that's true. But it has been that way for a long time, not just the recent K-pop groups. There weren't really that many good vocalists in the 2014 debut era too. Sure, there's Wendy and Mamamoo and Yuju (the ones i can remember) but besides them, overall it's still pretty much the same. Heck, main vocals with somewhat questionable technique has been going around for a long long time lol. Im not surprised.

There just hasn't been a really good one yet. I guess Jaehwan is a good one from the guys (right?) but maybe there's yet to be a good female idol vocalist. 

Ooh, those A4s are not bad at all, pretty good placement too. I like the head voice transition after, I hear potential 👀.

Songhee sounds nasal, yes. The audio isn't the best but it sounds like mostly in her throat.

there's two tenors who can handle A4s and yet you mention the overrated screamer Jaehwan lol  ( he has a lot of issues including tongue and jaw tension even on his F4s) there's a few new sopranos who can handle C5

47 minutes ago, BAZISSINO said:

there's two tenors who can handle A4s and yet you mention the overrated screamer Jaehwan lol  ( he has a lot of issues including tongue and jaw tension even on his F4s) there's a few new sopranos who can handle C5

Oof, i only mentioned Jaehwan because he's literally the only new male idol i can think of that can support LOL.

Who are the ones that can handle A4s? I'd love to hear them!! And the sopranos too

I'm pretty sure Dreamcatcher's Yoohyeon can support too...Siyeon doesn't sound bad too, just nasal and tight. 

12 minutes ago, galhadineas said:

I'm pretty sure Dreamcatcher's Yoohyeon can support too...Siyeon doesn't sound bad too, just nasal and tight. 

She can, but I'm not sure how solid or consistent it is.

LOL, nasal and tight is kinda bad. But Siyeon is shallow, breath support isn't really implemented in her singing.

5 hours ago, WheeTaeLover said:

Speaking of 4th generation groups, this is ONEUS, which is the junior group of MAMAMOO (being under the same company and whatnot). 

I love them as they're my most favorite male 4th generation group (debuted in 2019) and they have pretty vocal tones (especially Seoho), but I don't think any of them properly support? Keonhee seems to have issues with nasality and jaw tension (like look how he protruding his lower jaw when he sings) and for jaw tension, maybe Seoho to an extent (?), Leedo seems to have issues with airiness (I think there's a good chance that he's a baritone but with the airiness it's so hard to tell lol), and all or most of the members seem to sing purely with their throats (which is not support at all and bad technique lol). Xion is hard to tell because he doesn't get a lot of lines and Ravn is a rapper so I don't expect much lol. [Yeah, my mind is not working properly today lol]

First top video: Seoho - blonde-haired dude in left bottom half; Leedo - navy blue-haired dude in right bottom half; Keonhee - middle in top half; Hwanwoong - middle in bottom half; Xion left in top half. 

Second bottom video: Seoho - black-hair dude in left bottom half; Leedo - dirty blonde-haired dude in right top half; Keonhee - silver-haired dude in middle top half; Hwanwoong - blonde-haired dude in left top half; Xion - orange-haired dude in middle bottom half. 

Just need help with clarification (as my mind is not working today). Thanks! :) 

Leedo is definitely baritone lol overall I think only Seoho really shows any support at all, Leedo sounds more relaxed than keonhee most times which is odd since he has to go on top of his range sometimes. Here's more of them singing

Here Leedo covering Seoho's lines which shows him definitely straining to reach the notes (lmao)

if anything they just are as "vocally" prepared as any other idol debuted since like 2015, i'd put Seoho on Kihyun level.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shinki said:

Leedo is definitely baritone lol overall I think only Seoho really shows any support at all, Leedo sounds more relaxed than keonhee most times which is odd since he has to go on top of his range sometimes. Here's more of them singing

Here Leedo covering Seoho's lines which shows him definitely straining to reach the notes (lmao)

if anything they just are as "vocally" prepared as any other idol debuted since like 2015, i'd put Seoho on Kihyun level.

since 2015 ?there's some average tenors here and there like NCT (Taeil,doyoung,jaehyun ) ,DK , Kihyun , one of the main of verivery is also average and then there's Seungkwan who's like let me debut with supported G#4 

the one on the right can handle F#4s 

there's also the Vromance tenor who is also average  

the up10tion main is also average 

Edited by BAZISSINO

1 minute ago, BAZISSINO said:

since 2015 ?there's some average tenors here and there like NCT 'Taeil,doyoung,jaehyun ) ,DK , Kihyun , one of the main of verivery is also average too and then there's Seungkwan who's like let me debut with supported G#4 

the one on the right can handle F#4s 

there's also the Vromance tenor who is also average  

the up10tion main is also average 

Kihyun was on top of my mind at that moment, and I did specify that was "as prepared" which means there might be other average vocalists debuted since then (5 years in of course there is).  Seungkwan is one of the best idol vocalists debuted since then, not arguing with that. DK arguably is Seoho's level afaik.

If I have to make a sense of the mentioned (of those i know) Seungkwan > Kihyun > DK-Jaehyun-Taeil-Hwanhee-Seoho > Doyoung (not by much anyways). Doyoung is more of a stylistic vocalist tbh, really like his vocal tone but boy apparently skipped all breath support classes

• Like 1