Official Vocals thread (READ OP FIRST)

54127 replies to this topic

#54121 C.Y.

C.Y.

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:56 AM

Can you guys give me some comments about this record, i'm not a native Englist speaker, so sorry about the 'lyric' and pronounce. Thanks so much https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Listen on Soundcloud.com

I try to belting here, it's G4 right? It's supported or not? 

Listen on Soundcloud.com

first off, as a tenor you did a good job going down to the B2 and Bb2. You put too much of an aspirated H sound at the end of your phrases, you can do that once in a while and it sounds cool singing R&b and whatever but don't overdo it, it will get distracting. The G4 is a good attempt you can keep working with that. You need to practice with more release though, sing notes in a stronger voice as if you are calling out to someone across the street. You need to get used to singing with more energy because your breathing is not very well coordinated. When you go back to singing songs like Halo and whatever you can sing soft and lightly but during practice, sing with more energy and in a more clear, released sound as if you are commanding someone to do something.

Hi! Can someone give a few comments/criticisms on my recording? I've been trying to improve lately but have no idea where to start.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Kcd8AlVN51

Am I supporting the g3s? Am I supporting in general? I know you probably can't tell from just one recording, but does it seem like I mezzo or a soprano? I've heard people say different things but I feel like I'm just an underdeveloped soprano. 

Also, do you have any tips on mixing? Whenever I try to belt I feel constricted and my throat feels tight. Thanks!

don't worry about your voice type for now you're singing in too little of a range, but same advice as above. You have a nice timbre but you need to practice with much more energy; practice in a controlled, louder volume that you use to call out to someone across the street or to scold a kid or dog. Get your body used to that feeling of being "on the breath", because if you hold your voice back then singing high notes will be very difficult and you will feel that gripping you mentioned. Work on falsetto/head voice, only use the vowels OO and EE for falsetto/HV. Go for a clear, firm sound and just like with mixed voice, imagine you want the person across the street to hear you with your head voice. Don't hold it back or let it go airy.

#54122 DaeByun

DaeByun

YASUDA KEI IS THE #1 VISUAL HOLE IN IDOLDOM

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

Why is her voice so bad?

#54123 C.Y.

C.Y.

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

You need to practice with more release though, sing notes in a stronger voice as if you are calling out to someone across the street. You need to get used to singing with more energy because your breathing is not very well coordinated. When you go back to singing songs like Halo and whatever you can sing soft and lightly but during practice, sing with more energy and in a more clear, released sound as if you are commanding someone to do something.

You have a nice timbre but you need to practice with much more energy; practice in a controlled, louder volume that you use to call out to someone across the street or to scold a kid or dog. Get your body used to that feeling of being "on the breath", because if you hold your voice back then singing high notes will be very difficult and you will feel that gripping you mentioned.

Can you guys give me some comments about this record, i'm not a native Englist speaker, so sorry about the 'lyric' and pronounce. Thanks so much https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Hi! Can someone give a few comments/criticisms on my recording? I've been trying to improve lately but have no idea where to start.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Kcd8AlVN51

Thank the heavens for this video because it supports everything I've been saying. It's a great video because it's from Natalie Weiss teaching, and Natalie Weiss is clearly the new golden girl for the online pop/resonance community. They can't shut up about her these days. Her teaching method here is exactly what I've been talking about; you cannot be scared to make loud, uninhibited clear sounds. Many people in the online community will make up these grand definitions for the term "resonance" and then try to make normal words like "loud" seem bad but that's just semantics. There is good loud singing and there is bad loud singing. There is good soft singing and bad soft singing; singing very light and soft doesn't mean you are being more relaxed and less constricted. That is a myth, incorrectly done it is using more constriction to grip.

watch from 2:15 - 2:40, teaching the calling method

this is an age old method of releasing the voice, ridiculously simple and effective. Properly trained classical singers have been doing it all the time. Like I've said, they didn't learn to sing over the orchestra by being timid and holding back their voices. Don't be scared of chest voice and belting, everyone needs to learn to control this and keep vowel clear and firm on pitch. Everyone learns this by messing up until they don't, it is a refinement process. You don't walk into a jiu-jitsu dojo and submit everyone with no grappling experience without getting submitted a bunch of times first. You don't get a great jumpshot in basketball without starting with poor form and missing some shots first.

There's a lot of constricted belting being done by famous singers so there's this very negative connotation on the term "chesty", yet there are a bazillion light mix singers who choke, squeeze and pinch up their high notes yet no one blames light singing. Any flawed "chesty" singer simply has constriction issues, no different than a flawed light mix singer.

#54124 enchanté

enchanté

i was idalso

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Locationi don't care what they say, i am just who i am

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

i'm seeing a little bit of tightness in itzy's lia voice, not so much that i'd call it strain but there's a lot of nasality in her upper. i think she's been trained as an alto and her upper is underdeveloped compared to her lower. in her predebut content it's obvious she has a really gorgeous lower register. what are your thoughts? 

#54125 BAZISSINO

BAZISSINO

Idol

• PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Locationfrance

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

i'm seeing a little bit of tightness in itzy's lia voice, not so much that i'd call it strain but there's a lot of nasality in her upper. i think she's been trained as an alto and her upper is underdeveloped compared to her lower. in her predebut content it's obvious she has a really gorgeous lower register. what are your thoughts?

I heard that solo that they uploaded for her and her lower register wasn't impressive I haven't heard anything major, I wouldn't even say she's average

#54126 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

Thank the heavens for this video because it supports everything I've been saying. It's a great video because it's from Natalie Weiss teaching, and Natalie Weiss is clearly the new golden girl for the online pop/resonance community. They can't shut up about her these days. Her teaching method here is exactly what I've been talking about; you cannot be scared to make loud, uninhibited clear sounds. Many people in the online community will make up these grand definitions for the term "resonance" and then try to make normal words like "loud" seem bad but that's just semantics. There is good loud singing and there is bad loud singing. There is good soft singing and bad soft singing; singing very light and soft doesn't mean you are being more relaxed and less constricted. That is a myth, incorrectly done it is using more constriction to grip.

watch from 2:15 - 2:40, teaching the calling method

this is an age old method of releasing the voice, ridiculously simple and effective. Properly trained classical singers have been doing it all the time. Like I've said, they didn't learn to sing over the orchestra by being timid and holding back their voices. Don't be scared of chest voice and belting, everyone needs to learn to control this and keep vowel clear and firm on pitch. Everyone learns this by messing up until they don't, it is a refinement process. You don't walk into a jiu-jitsu dojo and submit everyone with no grappling experience without getting submitted a bunch of times first. You don't get a great jumpshot in basketball without starting with poor form and missing some shots first.

There's a lot of constricted belting being done by famous singers so there's this very negative connotation on the term "chesty", yet there are a bazillion light mix singers who choke, squeeze and pinch up their high notes yet no one blames light singing. Any flawed "chesty" singer simply has constriction issues, no different than a flawed light mix singer.

The proper development of chest voice is really undervalued these days. I think this thread and the blog in general helped spread this myth to a new audience of kpop fans.

That being said, are you familiar with misteropera on YouTube? I've seen a few of his videos over the past two days. Opera's not really my thing, so was just wondering what your thoughts are about him if you're familiar. I can certainly hear the difference he highlights between older opera singers and modern ones, and he definitely appears to be right at least on the surface, but I'm not versed enough in opera to really know.

I'm particularly interested in the idea of what I think he calls an artificial darkening of the head voice to cover improper chest voice development. It's something I had thought Sohyang has been doing.

With that in mind, hearing Rosa Ponselle's chest register makes me wonder how important voice type is in pop music, anyway. At least when it comes to the lower register.

Was there a concerted push in the vocal community to move away from chesty sounds as unhealthy? Was there any real basis for that?

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts. Like I said, I don't about opera or how well this information can be applied to contemporary vocals or how much it matters even if it can.

#54127 enchanté

enchanté

i was idalso

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Locationi don't care what they say, i am just who i am

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

I heard that solo that they uploaded for her and her lower register wasn't impressive I haven't heard anything major, I wouldn't even say she's average

really? i thought completely different. what makes you say her lower register isn't impressive? 

#54128 Jstarfully

Jstarfully

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 09:25 PM

really? i thought completely different. what makes you say her lower register isn't impressive? 

If we're all talking about the same clip, this one:

Then really she didn't do that well lower-range wise. She tried a couple of times to hit a G3 and it came out quiet and muffled. The only lower notes I could pick out that sounded clear and strong were a couple A#3, which is a reasonable note for any soprano to hit.

Up, Up and Away!