Official Vocals thread (READ OP FIRST)

53837 replies to this topic

#53821 ZRH23

ZRH23

Idol

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:18 PM

Can you give example of singers with supported notes only in studio ?! apart from yuju which it already discussed she has consistency issue
https://youtu.be/0B_CjxCawb4
0:05 those ones are supported the ones at 0:22 are basically tight the same approach of taeil that high

Can you give example of singers with supported notes only in studio ?! apart from yuju which it already discussed she has consistency issue
0:05 those ones are supported the ones at 0:22 are basically tight the same approach of taeil that high
https://youtu.be/PmH948yZwhE
1:59 phrased supported G#4

https://youtu.be/PmH948yZwhE
1:59 phrased supported G#4
https://youtu.be/RdP8FDp4Npw
1:40 G#4s into Bb4s and 3:38 Phrased A4 , Taeil also has Supported G#4s in this but still a bit tight

Those G#4s don't have a strong sense of support, they sound a bit tight and shallow. All of them.

And yes, actually. As I said, it's not such a drastic difference but it does show problems with consistency.

Beyonce is another example, where her low notes in the studio are much better than in the live performances.

Throughout this song (there's too many moments to timestamp, sorry), she had supported C3s. We know that she it isn't such a far stretch on what she usually does, but it is better and she's not consistent with it at all.

There are a few more examples, such as Mariah Carey's G5s and A5s in studio but she never actually sang them live. Yeah, she has vocal nodules and all that but I'm just saying that some people actually support their notes better in studio and the fans hold that to them. I don't think it's that wrong since it's obvious that at one point, the singers DID do that. But it doesn't help in consistency.

I don't like that Timeless performance, Was taeil sick in that performance or something? 

Sounded like it. I've heard much better from him.

#53822 HotTea

HotTea

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:31 PM

(irrelevant to the replies) Oh and Ahmin saw the video of Suho in the musicals and boy, I need to work on my ears for male singers lol. I was mostly wrong.

can you link me his reply?

#53823 HotTea

HotTea

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

Also to anyone interested, Hyolyn held her first solo concert yesterday! It was 3hours long, she sang 26 songs, with a live band and no backing up vocals. She didn't lip sync a single song.

#53824 ZRH23

ZRH23

Idol

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:38 AM

Also to anyone interested, Hyolyn held her first solo concert yesterday! It was 3hours long, she sang 26 songs, with a live band and no backing up vocals. She didn't lip sync a single song.

Yeah, Hyolyn really imrpoved this year. It's kinda crazy how fast lol

#53825 HotTea

HotTea

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, Hyolyn really imrpoved this year. It's kinda crazy how fast lol

Sis is not playing. Hyolyn is a perfectionist, now that she is a CEO she can't afford mistakes and gotta do everything well.

#53826 BAZISSINO

BAZISSINO

Idol

• PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationfrance

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

Those G#4s don't have a strong sense of support, they sound a bit tight and shallow. All of them.

And yes, actually. As I said, it's not such a drastic difference but it does show problems with consistency.

Beyonce is another example, where her low notes in the studio are much better than in the live performances.

Throughout this song (there's too many moments to timestamp, sorry), she had supported C3s. We know that she it isn't such a far stretch on what she usually does, but it is better and she's not consistent with it at all.

There are a few more examples, such as Mariah Carey's G5s and A5s in studio but she never actually sang them live. Yeah, she has vocal nodules and all that but I'm just saying that some people actually support their notes better in studio and the fans hold that to them. I don't think it's that wrong since it's obvious that at one point, the singers DID do that. But it doesn't help in consistency.

Sounded like it. I've heard much better from him.

A bit tight yes shallow no , the phrased one wasn't tight , I don't think we hear the same thing.
I was expecting Koreans singers not the queen of inconsistency Mariah '-'

#53827 _universo

_universo

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:49 PM (Edited by _universo, 13 November 2018 - 03:00 PM.)

Is CLC Seungyeon a mezzo soprano? Her La la la la Vie en Rose at 1:00 was pretty damn low, I legit thought it was a man. And she sounded pretty natural? But I guess it's hard to tell since it's a studio version and could have been edited.

#53828 galhadineas

galhadineas

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

Is CLC Seungyeon a mezzo soprano? Her La la la la Vie en Rose at 1:00 was pretty damn low, I legit thought it was a man. And she sounded pretty natural? But I guess it's hard to tell since it's a studio version and could have been edited.

I'm pretty sure that was modified on some software to bring down the pitch lol 

#53829 Primarina

Primarina

𝓡π“ͺ 𝓿𝓲𝒆 𝒆𝓷 𝓻𝓸𝓼𝒆

• PipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Locationπ•Žπ•šπ•«*π•†π•Ÿπ•–

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

What do you guys think about Lee Siyeon (Dreamcatcher) ?

#53830 jung jaehyun's boyfriend

jung jaehyun's boyfriend

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationEating Ice Cream with WinWin

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

was whitney's C#6 here supported?

@0:54

#53831 galhadineas

galhadineas

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:59 PM (Edited by galhadineas, 17 November 2018 - 03:05 PM.)

I love Uji resonance so much, it sounds so big in the 4th octave

@1:17, @2:04, @2:08, @2:22 and omg the C5 at @ 3:15

#53832 ZRH23

ZRH23

Idol

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:16 AM

What do you guys think about Lee Siyeon (Dreamcatcher) ?

As far as I remember, she hasn't established proper support. I remember that another girl in Dreamcatcher is better but I forgot her name lol.

was whitney's C#6 here supported?

@0:54

It sounds so beautiful at the start but then got really rough. At first, it carried nice depth and connection but I think she was pushing too much as she sustained it and ended up creating a lot of tension. Or her throat couldn't handle it. I think before 0.56, it was nicely supported but then lost it.

I love Uji resonance so much, it sound so big in the 4th octave

@1:17, @2:04, @2:08, @2:22 and omg the C5 at @ 3:15

My favorite moment of hers is still that big ass Bb4 in Open Arms.

#53833 ParkHyoLee

ParkHyoLee

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

:imstupid:

#53834 jung jaehyun's boyfriend

jung jaehyun's boyfriend

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationEating Ice Cream with WinWin

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

It sounds so beautiful at the start but then got really rough. At first, it carried nice depth and connection but I think she was pushing too much as she sustained it and ended up creating a lot of tension. Or her throat couldn't handle it. I think before 0.56, it was nicely supported but then lost it.

I thought I might have heard that too, but I wasn't sure if that "rough" sound was from actual tension or feedback from the microphone itself lol. In any case, a ridiculously beautiful C#6 from pre-prime Whitney with crazy volume output. I don't think I'd give her C#6, but probably C6/C#6 for head voice.

#53835 Jstarfully

Jstarfully

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 AM

As far as I remember, she hasn't established proper support. I remember that another girl in Dreamcatcher is better but I forgot her name lol.

Do you mean Yoohyeon?

#53836 C.Y.

C.Y.

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM (Edited by C.Y., Yesterday, 05:30 PM.)

I thought I might have heard that too, but I wasn't sure if that "rough" sound was from actual tension or feedback from the microphone itself lol. In any case, a ridiculously beautiful C#6 from pre-prime Whitney with crazy volume output. I don't think I'd give her C#6, but probably C6/C#6 for head voice.

there is serious audio distortion from the poor quality, I listened to it on my phone first and the audio sounded awful so I listened to it on my laptop instead and the distortion was even worse lol. It wasn't the greatest note to begin with because she went flat as she was holding the note, and combined with the distorted recording quality it ends up appearing a lot worse. Her biggest problem was going flat towards the end, it was still more focused than all the other bright, thin C#6s that get credit from other female singers even though those are constricted much worse. So by the lower standards of constriction and "resonance" set by the general online pop crowd, it can't possibly be called "unsupported". Objectively speaking, yes it needs to be better to keep the coordination and clarity firm to prevent the note from going flat.

Whitney did do things that make singing more difficult and cause issues (though permissible by pop standards I think), as seen there with the jaw vibrato and tilting her head way back with neck tension when hitting big notes. It was a sacrifice for having stage presence I guess, makes the performance visually look more dramatic. 

#53837 galhadineas

galhadineas

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Seohyun wasn't really afraid of those high notes

#53838 ZRH23

ZRH23

Idol

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted Today, 07:19 AM

there is serious audio distortion from the poor quality, I listened to it on my phone first and the audio sounded awful so I listened to it on my laptop instead and the distortion was even worse lol. It wasn't the greatest note to begin with because she went flat as she was holding the note, and combined with the distorted recording quality it ends up appearing a lot worse. Her biggest problem was going flat towards the end, it was still more focused than all the other bright, thin C#6s that get credit from other female singers even though those are constricted much worse. So by the lower standards of constriction and "resonance" set by the general online pop crowd, it can't possibly be called "unsupported". Objectively speaking, yes it needs to be better to keep the coordination and clarity firm to prevent the note from going flat.

Whitney did do things that make singing more difficult and cause issues (though permissible by pop standards I think), as seen there with the jaw vibrato and tilting her head way back with neck tension when hitting big notes. It was a sacrifice for having stage presence I guess, makes the performance visually look more dramatic.

I honestly think that despite the flaws and going flat, it still would be a considered a great note by pop standards. I mean, if Lena Park can be excused till F6 for her head voice, then Whitney's flat C#6 (sounds ironic cuz it's C SHARP lol) would be called great.

Do you mean Yoohyeon?

Yes, yes I did. I remembered her having some not bad C5s but mostly she's okay till Bb4.

Up, Up and Away!