• Please log in to reply
52377 replies to this topic

#52361 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:29 PM (Edited by KoreaxxLove, 09 October 2017 - 01:35 PM.)

Checked out an interview and he said it's a mixed accent. He's got the best part at least. I only visited Atlanta before and mainly just heard this slight difference. Didn't hear anyone going "tarnation! Ma, where're the gators?" You must have met people who lived in a bubble, unless you use those phrases. lol

No, lol. ATL is the bubble because so many people from around the country move to Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. Just to let you know, I called my mom (who's from South Georgia) the other week, and she interrupted our conversation to yell at our dog, "Monk, now you know you cain't fight no gators!" lol Of course I use them.

Because it's not vocal related, I'll put this in a spoiler. 

Spoiler

#52362 bobxyz

bobxyz

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationI'm on a Hellevator

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:11 AM (Edited by bobxyz, 11 October 2017 - 05:13 AM.)

No, lol. ATL is the bubble because so many people from around the country move to Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. Just to let you know, I called my mom (who's from South Georgia) the other week, and she interrupted our conversation to yell at our dog, "Monk, now you know you cain't fight no gators!" lol Of course I use them.

Because it's not vocal related, I'll put this in a spoiler. 

Spoiler

Fairly thick but at least it's not some Deliverance "he got a real purdy mouf, ain't he" stuff. I felt like ATL isn't too dissimilar with a lot of people sounding like this:

from a pacific coast perspective it's not only the drawl that's noticeable but the tone of voice.

#52363 sweetwatermelon

sweetwatermelon

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be
New perf from Yuju and Weesung 👀 How about them? I heard Weesung is Sunny's vocal coach but i feel like he is a stylistic vocalist
https://m.youtube.co...e&v=AVmmusNq-ms
Recently she seem have degressed on C#5 so i hope she would improved again ><

#52364 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:08 AM (Edited by KoreaxxLove, 12 October 2017 - 08:12 AM.)

Fairly thick but at least it's not some Deliverance "he got a real purdy mouf, ain't he" stuff. I felt like ATL isn't too dissimilar with a lot of people sounding like this:

from a pacific coast perspective it's not only the drawl that's noticeable but the tone of voice.

I don't know what that is, but if you mean grammatically speaking, yeah, that is what it is. EDIT: I saw it. I don't think there's anything particular about that accent. Sounds more twangy and mountain-y, but it's not all that thick. Most Georgian accents have a greater variation in pitch and sound muddled. That's just a nasal twang, lol.
Georgia is rich with a variety of accents. Eastern Southern states (GA, East Alabama, East Tennessee, and South Carolina) tend to have stronger accents.The more West you go (Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana), the more standard they get. Eastern accents have a different cadence and tend to be more non rhotic. In Georgia, you have the Appalachian Mountains in the North, swamps in South Georgia, and a classier middle Georgia accent that people try to copy. Old people from Atlanta have a drawl, but most people in Atlanta aren't from Georgia anymore.

#52365 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

How come we don't talk much about Elaine Paige? I know people mostly care about Asian vocalists here, but with the exception of Barbra Streisand, she seems better than any vocalist routinely discussed here. I just recently started listening to her, but she wows me.

Beautiful control.

#52366 BAZISSINO

BAZISSINO

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Locationfrance

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

How come we don't talk much about Elaine Paige? I know people mostly care about Asian vocalists here, but with the exception of Barbra Streisand, she seems better than any vocalist routinely discussed here. I just recently started listening to her, but she wows me.

Beautiful control.

better than any vocalist routinely :3 .... LOL haven't you realized the thread is dead?

#52367 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:42 AM

better than any vocalist routinely :3 .... LOL haven't you realized the thread is dead?

Yeah, I just mean in its history.

#52368 Indigo

Indigo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,676 posts
  • Locationthe trunk of wonder girls car

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Doyoung, dude, why are you so airy. 

#52369 caipirinhas

caipirinhas

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:42 PM (Edited by caipirinhas, 13 October 2017 - 06:41 PM.)

Beautiful control.

Ah, I love Elaine Page. She has such a well controlled belt and good usage across her range. My major criticism with her is that her vibrato can be a little too front and center of her voice (not all the time, but a few times in the Sunset Boulevard song it distracted me) and a bit of too much naso resonance (but I still love her). Elaine Page is a big part of my childhood. My sisters and I grew up watching the ridiculous CATS recording on VHS, and she played Grizabella hah. And I adored her in Chess. Enjoy this FABULOUSLY 80s video of the duet that every girl in high school learned (along with Marry the Man Today because there are so few female/female duets)

Though if we're gonna talk Elaine Page, you've also reminded me of another one of my fav musical theater belters who does a lot of the same roles as Elaine - Betty Buckley (who originated Grizabella in Cats). I adore her high belt at the end of Eve Was Weak in Carrie: The Musical (my underrated gem of a show).

I wonder if I can find a video recording of it... Hmmm there are some really bad bootleg broadway vids and a lot of recordings from the CD. So, enjoy this one which starts a little ways into it, but it's the best audio I could find of the live ones:

and here's a concert version of the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-ab-f201M

and here is Betty doing that same song from Sunset Boulevard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCAP1yOPINo

#52370 KoreaxxLove

KoreaxxLove

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Ah, I love Elaine Page. She has such a well controlled belt and good usage across her range. My major criticism with her is that her vibrato can be a little too front and center of her voice (not all the time, but a few times in the Sunset Boulevard song it distracted me) and a bit of too much naso resonance (but I still love her). Elaine Page is a big part of my childhood. My sisters and I grew up watching the ridiculous CATS recording on VHS, and she played Grizabella hah. And I adored her in Chess. Enjoy this FABULOUSLY 80s video of the duet that every girl in high school learned (along with Marry the Man Today because there are so few female/female duets)

Though if we're gonna talk Elaine Page, you've also reminded me of another one of my fav musical theater belters who does a lot of the same roles as Elaine - Betty Buckley (who originated Grizabella in Cats). I adore her high belt at the end of Eve Was Weak in Carrie: The Musical (my underrated gem of a show).

I wonder if I can find a video recording of it... Hmmm there are some really bad bootleg broadway vids and a lot of recordings from the CD. So, enjoy this one which starts a little ways into it, but it's the best audio I could find of the live ones:

and here's a concert version of the scene:

and here is Betty doing that same song from Sunset Boulevard:

Wow. Thanks a lot. Betty is an amazing vocalist. I prefer Elaine's tone, but they both have such impeccable control, and Betty's high belts are really something of a marvel. These two ladies are two of the best. 

#52371 Lucky seven

Lucky seven

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Was DIA's Yebin sounding nasal here? Or was it her vocal colours that made her sound a like she was using her nose a little bit too much?

#52372 Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Locationyg recording studio

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:26 AM (Edited by Truth or Dare, 15 October 2017 - 07:27 AM.)

I'm giving some video of his high notes and some normal videos for judging his low notes. I am curious what is his vocal range. Also is he a baritone?

high notes (i think)  0.00 -0.20 and 2:10 - rest

Spoiler

#52373 Fly With Jessica

Fly With Jessica

Idol

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

How did Whitney do at 5:00 is it optimal resonance?

And Beyonce at 5:36?

#52374 ParkHyoLee

ParkHyoLee

Idol

• PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:36 AM

Whitney at 5:42 though 😍😍

Sent from my LG-H873 using OneHallyu mobile app

#52375 Fly With Jessica

Fly With Jessica

Idol

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Whitney at 5:42 though

Sent from my LG-H873 using OneHallyu mobile app

word

#52376 ZRH23

ZRH23

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:10 AM

Whitney and Beyonce both generally produce very nice resonance. 5.00 is a C#5, something Whitney did not struggle with. So yeah, it was. Beyonce's was a D5 and that's a bit high for a mezzo but still very nice indeed

#52377 ParkHyoLee

ParkHyoLee

Idol

• PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

word

Oh, so I didn't actually respond to what you were asking lol. Whitney was "resonant", of course, but I do think she could have sang with more depth in the way she's very capable of doing. like in 5:42 where she sounds absolutely massive

#52378 Kevin92

Kevin92

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted Today, 03:11 AM

Up, Up and Away!