• Please log in to reply
50534 replies to this topic

#50521 holahuz

holahuz

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Locationearth

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:38 PM (Edited by holahuz, 19 May 2017 - 09:39 PM.)

Taeyeon trying jazz now 

#50522 칼릴이

칼릴이

Idol

• PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

Taeyeon trying jazz now

That was really nice I love the slight cresendos she was doing

#50523 MMHH

MMHH

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,148 posts
  • LocationEating Ice Cream with WinWin

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:56 AM (Edited by MMHH, 20 May 2017 - 10:58 AM.)

taeyeon is the new queen of musicality and musicianship tbh. 

#50524 DanReborn

DanReborn

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:02 PM (Edited by DanReborn, 20 May 2017 - 01:03 PM.)

Hey guys, this G4 isn't so bad, right? Since I started doing the exercises from the How To Support video, I'm able to sing higher than I could before. I was singing while watching the Playing With Fire cover from Produce 101 and I even mixed A4/Bb4 lol But that's too high, so I'm not expecting anything, even G4 is high, but you know...if I'm a tenor G4 shouldn't be that big of a problem. Thank you ;)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#50525 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys, this G4 isn't so bad, right? Since I started doing the exercises from the How To Support video, I'm able to sing higher than I could before. I was singing while watching the Playing With Fire cover from Produce 101 and I even mixed A4/Bb4 lol But that's too high, so I'm not expecting anything, even G4 is high, but you know...if I'm a tenor G4 shouldn't be that big of a problem. Thank you ;)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

To be lighter and less wide with your vowel. Instead allow the sound to light and tighter in the vocal cords, so that you emphasize their development, not pushing. Don't be loud. But yay I'm so proud of you!

#50526 DanReborn

DanReborn

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

To be lighter and less wide with your vowel. Instead allow the sound to light and tighter in the vocal cords, so that you emphasize their development, not pushing. Don't be loud. But yay I'm so proud of you!

Ok, I'll do it! I was thinking of sending the exercises instead of the note but I think I'm doing it correctly, with the diaphragm expanded without any tension. Thank you so much!!! warstarplz.png warstarplz.png

#50527 MMHH

MMHH

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,148 posts
  • LocationEating Ice Cream with WinWin

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:58 AM (Edited by MMHH, 21 May 2017 - 12:59 AM.)

Listen on Soundcloud.com

YES DANIEL FUCK SHIT UP :') <3

meanwhile me...

Spoiler

#50528 칼릴이

칼릴이

Idol

• PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

YES DANIEL FUCK SHIT UP :') <3

meanwhile me...

Spoiler

*sees drunk ver expects there to be stripping*

*there is no stripping*
*is disappointed*
Lol jk you look like you are having fun lol

#50529 DanReborn

DanReborn

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:52 AM (Edited by DanReborn, 21 May 2017 - 01:54 AM.)

so guys, how did Jeongyeon do here? It seems like her C5s are better than Jihyo's but I'm not sure lol I mean, it sounds more balanced and less chesty

2:51 

and her B4/Bb4 here at 1:09

C5 then Bb4 here at 1:56

#50530 ModelJongdae

ModelJongdae

Trainee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hi Vocal Thread! I've been lurking for a while and I wanted to step in and ask some questions, if that's okay?
1. Is Chris Brown a good vocalist in technique? My ears tell me no but I wanted to ask those more knowledgeable than me. I saw this YouTube comment claiming he was,so I became curious lol.
2. Is Chen considered an above average vocalist outside of kpop standards? That same YouTube comment claimed he has average technique but is better than most kpop vocalists. To me he's always seemed above average, but I am biased lol.
Also, when I say above average I mean in conversational speak not by the blogs criteria! Thank you :)

#50531 Indigo

Indigo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts
  • Locationthe trunk of wonder girls car

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Hi Vocal Thread! I've been lurking for a while and I wanted to step in and ask some questions, if that's okay?
1. Is Chris Brown a good vocalist in technique? My ears tell me no but I wanted to ask those more knowledgeable than me. I saw this YouTube comment claiming he was,so I became curious lol.
2. Is Chen considered an above average vocalist outside of kpop standards? That same YouTube comment claimed he has average technique but is better than most kpop vocalists. To me he's always seemed above average, but I am biased lol.
Also, when I say above average I mean in conversational speak not by the blogs criteria! Thank you https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

No, Chris Brown has very poor technique, 

If you know the blog, Chen's rating is overall for any vocalist anywhere. It he's ranked quite high, quite a bit more than above average. There isn't very many popular male singers outside of kpop that have good technique and could be written highly in the blog. Some people just insist western singers are better overall because they're more popular. 

#50532 C.Y.

C.Y.

Idol

• PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 AM

I have nothing to gain coming at you directly or indirectly, so don't read too much into it alright? I really was just trying to voice my opinion about the subject matter. Wasn't trying to be shady not trying to dig or egg you on. And no neither Matheus or I co-signed Haruko's appearance in the thread about Son Junho. Nope. Please don't make us responsible for her actions, really don't. It was uncalled for and completely not what we thought was going to happen. So I apologize sincerely for that. It definitely was not civil for sure.

LOL this may come as a surprise but Haruko is the person I have the least problems with in your gang. o_o

I barely even knew her enough to start disliking her, idc that she called me garbage really LOL it's the internet. The decisions of the rest of you have been way more unethical and problematic, to me Haruko was acting almost naturally in a sense, because there was already an existing dilemma between me and you guys. She seemed to just be insulting me because she was your friend and on your side of the situation. I even kind of miss her ROFL why don't you tell her to come back, it could ummm spice up the discussions in here.

Ive never said what I think of Son Junhos voice type. You did agree quite promptly about Sungmin being a baritone when I was trying to guess who you meant so yeah. Since your mentioned baritones aren't Kpop and I may agree bout JB and Troye Sivan, I've thought bout Dean too. You mention a lot of the nasal thin tight RnB vocalists so like I get it but their technique isn't good either way. It's only a problem for me if we are talking bout higher rated vocalists cause then they have to be re-analyzed.

You never realized you said Son Junho was a baritone because someone asked about a performance on masked singer here and no one even knew it was him. I did though, I can recognize his voice. You may think I'm "nitpicky" but I am not even bringing up half of the things I have ever strongly disagreed with you about about voice types, things that are definitely true. I never gave a shit that you called him a baritone because you did not seem familiar with his voice and your ear on anyone singing in a lower larynx position is not practiced enough, so I didn't think to hold it against you. Either way you may have gotten a bit too comfortable with the voice typing thing only because no one is ever there to second guess any of your opinions on male singers, no one with ears I mean.

JB was actually not a good example. he may just be a tenor. These people I'm naming are off the top of my head and I don't exactly have time to check people to make sure. Not that I could ever really be sure about 20 percent of the singers I name anyway, because that is something only an expert can do and my ears are not on that level, not even close. The sounds JB make seem to indicate tenor but he strains some Eb4s and E4s so I was just praying to the baritone gods that he is a baribro. It may not be true at all, he does not have strong signs. He could be though. Troye Sivan is absolutely a baribro, for sure. Shawn Mendes and Usher are baribros for sure, plenty of evidence for that. So is Charlie Puth, Bryson Tiller, Frank Ocean, Trey Songz. Dean is also part of the 20% of singers I can't be certain of without an expert, there are certain sounds he makes in the higher range that I was not aware was possible to do for a baritone but maybe it just is.

okay I get that is your concern with the blog but it's obviously not mine. I'm just talking about different technique used in contemporary music and how there are more possibilities than believed. Taeyang and Shawn Mendes are not unicorn baritones. He and the baritones that sound like him are actually the most common sound you will hear from baritones in contemporary music, not the sound that you are calling baritone in here. This can most easily be proved by me just posting a 10 second clip on my soundcloud of an actual baritone who sings in this style, but I would prefer to only try to prove things by using videos of famous singers. I'm just naming a lot of pop/r&b singers because I'm trying to name people that are popular on the radio and are mostly thought to be tenors, so it happens to be mostly pop/r&b. There are of course a lot more that aren't radio popular and are not pop/r&b singers.

#50533 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted Yesterday, 12:06 PM

LOL this may come as a surprise but Haruko is the person I have the least problems with in your gang. o_o

I barely even knew her enough to start disliking her, idc that she called me garbage really LOL it's the internet. The decisions of the rest of you have been way more unethical and problematic, to me Haruko was acting almost naturally in a sense, because there was already an existing dilemma between me and you guys. She seemed to just be insulting me because she was your friend and on your side of the situation. I even kind of miss her ROFL why don't you tell her to come back, it could ummm spice up the discussions in here.

You never realized you said Son Junho was a baritone because someone asked about a performance on masked singer here and no one even knew it was him. I did though, I can recognize his voice. You may think I'm "nitpicky" but I am not even bringing up half of the things I have ever strongly disagreed with you about about voice types, things that are definitely true. I never gave a shit that you called him a baritone because you did not seem familiar with his voice and your ear on anyone singing in a lower larynx position is not practiced enough, so I didn't think to hold it against you. Either way you may have gotten a bit too comfortable with the voice typing thing only because no one is ever there to second guess any of your opinions on male singers, no one with ears I mean.

JB was actually not a good example. he may just be a tenor. These people I'm naming are off the top of my head and I don't exactly have time to check people to make sure. Not that I could ever really be sure about 20 percent of the singers I name anyway, because that is something only an expert can do and my ears are not on that level, not even close. The sounds JB make seem to indicate tenor but he strains some Eb4s and E4s so I was just praying to the baritone gods that he is a baribro. It may not be true at all, he does not have strong signs. He could be though. Troye Sivan is absolutely a baribro, for sure. Shawn Mendes and Usher are baribros for sure, plenty of evidence for that. So is Charlie Puth, Bryson Tiller, Frank Ocean, Trey Songz. Dean is also part of the 20% of singers I can't be certain of without an expert, there are certain sounds he makes in the higher range that I was not aware was possible to do for a baritone but maybe it just is.

okay I get that is your concern with the blog but it's obviously not mine. I'm just talking about different technique used in contemporary music and how there are more possibilities than believed. Taeyang and Shawn Mendes are not unicorn baritones. He and the baritones that sound like him are actually the most common sound you will hear from baritones in contemporary music, not the sound that you are calling baritone in here. This can most easily be proved by me just posting a 10 second clip on my soundcloud of an actual baritone who sings in this style, but I would prefer to only try to prove things by using videos of famous singers. I'm just naming a lot of pop/r&b singers because I'm trying to name people that are popular on the radio and are mostly thought to be tenors, so it happens to be mostly pop/r&b. There are of course a lot more that aren't radio popular and are not pop/r&b singers.

Welll you're right, I am not familiar with Son Junho and if I thought he was a baritone, but he is not, that's fine. "Baribro" lol Well some of these guys are trying so hard to sound like someone they're not and have such unhealthy technique, like Dean, that voice typing them isn't the biggest thing to me since their technique is really not good anyway in that sense. And I fully admit and always have, voice typing is my weakness because I've never been formally taught to identify voice types. I'm fine with being wrong, but as long as I can't hear it then I still need to learn. I can't just agree without being able to hear it myself too. So I guess that's that for now on this conversation? Like it's not like you're going to go on private chat with me and help me by discussing these things in detail regularly so I can learn to identify specific types of voices in more detail, right? lol Cause I'm assuming you're not going to, so there's no need to keep this conversation going.

#50534 Bolatacha

Bolatacha

Idol

• PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMy bed

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Do you guys think SoHyang's upper belting notes become more heady than usual? 

#50535 칼릴이

칼릴이

Idol

• PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Do you guys think SoHyang's upper belting notes become more heady than usual?

On my opinion no not really, but if so that's fine. She's like 40, and therefore if she's adjusting her technique out of necessity that's perfectly mind. I'd rather her adjust her approach accordingly than have her force herself to keep the same approach and ultimately damage her voice. Also she's singing notes G5 and above so if she's a headier up there that is perfectly fine

Up, Up and Away!